• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ganondorf is hands down the most interesting part of Tears of the Kingdom for me. Aside from mentions in mainline games and then appearances in spinoffs, I think the last time we had Ganondorf was Twilight Princess.
Very curious to see more about why the man himself is here and not just Beat Ganon.

The rumor is worth less than useless because he clarified he meant Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash, and Animal Crossing. Also clarified that they were excluding games like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, etc. It means nothing when you exclude Metroid because of sales and games like Fire Emblem "because it isn't a Nintendo game". And the dooming around this is just exhausting and sapping out the positivity I want this year to be about. Don't focus on the negative and focus on the positive.

Also I feel like I'm just repeating myself at this point.

Ganondorf is hands down the most interesting part of Tears of the Kingdom for me. Aside from mentions in mainline games and then appearances in spinoffs, I think the last time we had Ganondorf was Twilight Princess.
Very curious to see more about why the man himself is here and not just Beat Ganon.
I agree Ganondorf is very interesting. What will he do in this game? Will he be around and about or in one spot? Who will be his voice actor?

I agree Ganondorf is very interesting. What will he do in this game? Will he be around and about or in one spot? Who will be his voice actor?
Honestly between all the jokes about Christ Pratt, I legit forgot that Zelda has voice acting now.

The next Direct after the February one will air exclusively in theaters before every showing of the Mario Movie.

The Mario Movie is just the warm up for the Switch 2 reveal that will be shown exclusively in theaters after the credits roll.

The Mario Movie is just the warm up for the Switch 2 reveal that will be shown exclusively in theaters after the credits roll.

Imagine the after credit scene is just illumination Mario doing this

nintendo_nx_reveal-600x365.jpg

in a weeks time we'll see a bunch of small insignificant games for the first time

I can't wait.
Hey did you just call Ace Attorney 7/Ghost Trick 2 insignificant??? You're... You're... correct :(

Still, we should at least beat GAA's sales record with whatever this game will be.

I do think we'll see all the Gameboys added at the same time. The only way I don't see GBA happening with the other Gameboys is if GBA is coming at the same time as the GC and Nintendo makes a big deal about the two apps being able to link together. I could see that being a selling point of why NSO on Switch 2 is even better and worth $50 per year since Nintendo will probably drop the $20 tier
I see a few possibilities.

• GB/GBC are announced this month with GB Pokémon. Stadium is upcoming so Transfer Pak is supported. All the buzz around Pokémon and the cross-compatibility means that the GBA announcement is held for September.
  • GB/GBC and GBA are announced together in September, nothing special happens with Pokémon or N64. The combo announcement especially makes sense if GB is base tier and GBA is Expansion Pass.
  • Same as the above, but it happens this month. I believe this one is less likely, since if there's no Pokémon/N64 stuff, I think Nintendo is likely wait until renewals like they have in the past.

Last edited:
Gotta love when people start talking and it's like "Nintendo has no heavy hitters for the rest of the year post TotK"*

*Does not include Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid, Yoshi, F-Zero, Pikmin, Pokemon spin-offs, Mario spin-offs, anything Wario related, anything Mii or Tomodachi Life related, Fire Emblem, Star Fox, etc.

Also, I'd love the fucking chaos if out of nowhere Retro had a third DKC Returns game announced and watch the meltdowns of 2013 be relived, but on an even grander scale, only for them to explain that the B-team made this while the A-team is finishing up Metroid Prime 4.

Gotta love when people start talking and it's like "Nintendo has no heavy hitters for the rest of the year post TotK"*

*Does not include Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid, Yoshi, F-Zero, Pikmin, Pokemon spin-offs, Mario spin-offs, anything Wario related, anything Mii or Tomodachi Life related, Fire Emblem, Star Fox, etc.

Also, I'd love the fucking chaos if out of nowhere Retro had a third DKC Returns game announced and watch the meltdowns of 2013 be relived, but on an even grander scale, only for them to explain that the B-team made this while the A-team is finishing up Metroid Prime 4.
I mean, those aren't heavy hitters though lmao

My dream would be that Ganondorf is voiced by Christopher Judge, but that's not happening.
God of War is... not my thing at all - but that man has a truly awesome voice and he'd knock it out of the park.

My hope is that, compared to BotW, they a). hired better talent for the voice acting (or paid the existing ones more and gave them better direction) and b). they tightened up the localisation. BotW's cutscene English was quite stilted sounding.

If not, I'll play it in Dutch with Japanese voices. That was such a superior experience to me - the Dutch translation is super witty and it fits the game so well. Heck, if there's an option to disable voice acting entirely I'd probably pick that 'cause I'm weird!

Without a Direct in january… i want to see the world burn! ;)

February can‘t win, here is my energy team march…

dragonball-z-anime.gif

This whole thing is going down as always. Someone talks about Nintendo, in a slightly clumsy manner, maybe it’s substantial or not, and people now discuss for 12h straight about what „big games“ are, which is an extremely boring and pointless discussion if I may say this. Some people will always say that Fire Emblem is big, others will say it’s not, etc etc etc. You can wait the whole year and discuss the year in review, and the opinions will be the same: for some, the games released were big, for others they aren’t.

Let’s just wait for the Direct, wait for summer, I‘ll say: it wouldn’t surprise me if Nintendo is winding support down after Zelda, but maybe they also want to keep momentum and make a fluid translation. Who knows. But this discussion won’t help. I get their (Andy, IGN etc) point and maybe it’s true, maybe it’s not.

EDIT: Also, we have do differentiate here. The last year of a console can be really interesting. Something like an F-Zero Remake, Paper Mario Remake and maybe 2D Mario, Pikmin and Zelda would make it one of the best years ever for me. But I do understand that people in the YT/Twitter comment sections won’t think it’s a „big line up“. And you know what? That’s FINE. We don’t habe to agree on everything, especially not on the internet.

Last edited:
Since we're doing this, let me share my definition of a heavy hitter:
Any new, full-priced game developed by an internal Nintendo team.

Not a heavy-hitter:
Any remake, remaster, refurb, reheat, re-whatever, and DLC for existing games (unless large enough to be a self-contained release, XC2-style).

Makes me sad when people are like, "The second half of '23 could be sick! You've got: Metroid Prime Remaster! F-Zero Remaster! Pokemon DLC! Advance Wars Remaster! GBA games!" Might as well be nothing to me.

But hey, I know that Zelda is coming soon, followed at some point by Pikmin 4 and Metroid Prime 4, so it's all good. Those might be my three very favourite game franchises in the world. Doesn't get any bigger. They'll release when ready. It's fine.

Where in the news is it mentioned that these games could still exist? Donkey Kong, Metroid, etc.

The rumor is worth less than useless because he clarified he meant Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash, and Animal Crossing. Also clarified that they were excluding games like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, etc. It means nothing when you exclude Metroid because of sales and games like Fire Emblem "because it isn't a Nintendo game". And the dooming around this is just exhausting and sapping out the positivity I want this year to be about. Don't focus on the negative and focus on the positive.

Also I feel like I'm just repeating myself at this point.
The thing is, we all kind of feel like we're due for some kind of Mario, so it is something. Mario I guess refers to both 2D and 3D, so that's certainly a curveball, and Donkey Kong, another series we expect to see soon, is in a very odd state. Donkey Kong is a big IP, it historically sells a lot, but it has had a hard time maintaining relevancy, so it's hard to determine if it should be considered unreasonable to expect it for Switch.

There hasn't been a new game in almost 10 years, so it would feel like a revival, but considering the attention his series is getting in the movie, and the fact that he's next in line after Mario for GETTING A THEME PARK, it feels like Nintendo wants him to be up there with the big dogs, but there's yet to be proof where it really counts, the games.

But yeah rumour is pretty telling

If 2023 is going to be a light year, then either:

a.) there wouldn't be a Direct in February

or

b.) the February Direct is going to be extremely underwhelming

That is a good point.

And coonsidering a General Direct in June is looking unlikely, we should get a majority of the answers for Switch 2023 via the February Direct and whatever Pokemon announcements are coming later in the month.

Under the right circumstances series like DK and Tomodachi can do 5 million plus and I think Nintendo would treat both as major releases. DK is a historic IP and Tomodachi hit 6 million on 3DS; in a post New Horizons world, Nintendo may well view it as having potential. They're both possible this year, but I'm also not sure either is ready yet.

I'm still leaning towards 2D Mario being Nintendo's other tentpole release after Zelda, and I've thought for a while that NdCube could have something this year. The issue with NdCube is I don't think the next Mario Party will come just yet, and so maybe they do a solid budget release rather than a year-end title. But I think they'd potentially be the developer for a multiplayer focused Animal Crossing spin-off, and that kind of game could well be a big hit.

Or maybe Nintendo go a little heavy on Mario to try and capitalise on the Mario movie, we get 2D and Party, but they save the next 3D game as the launch title for new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom