• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They can absolutely announce Metroid Prime HD without showing off Metroid Prime 4. The number of people that will be genuinely bothered by that is pretty minimal, especially if the remaster looks as good as the rumors have said it does.

People are just gonna be happy that Metroid Prime exists in any capacity.

The timeframe is way longer than it was with TotK, if they are once again showing nothing but Prime 1 then it will raise a huge eyebrows. And it's not like they have nothing to show, the game has been restarted over 4 years ago.
I don't think it will be an issue if they promise news later this year, just like they did with SSHD.
People are so thirsty for MP4 that even the simple confirmation of footage coming soon will be enough to satisfy them.

The game isn't coming until at least next holiday, if not longer. I don't think Prime HD exists, but they don't need to show Prime 4 alongside it.
Wait what makes you think the game isn't coming until next holiday? I thought we had linkedin evidence suggesting Retro has already at least partially moved on to their next project.

I thought it was a lock for this holiday, easily. That'll be 5+ years of dev time.

I don't think it will be an issue if they promise news later this year, just like they did with SSHD.
People are so thirsty for MP4 that even the simple confirmation of footage coming soon will be enough to satisfy them.
Yeah, I agree with this. But the fact that it's been 4 years already, they absolutely had something to show yesterday and not just a simple CGI trailer.

"Development of Metroid Prime 4 continues to progress well. We are looking forward to showing it at a later date. For now, please take a look at this."

They can absolutely announce Metroid Prime HD without showing off Metroid Prime 4. The number of people that will be genuinely bothered by that is pretty minimal, especially if the remaster looks as good as the rumors have said it does.

People are just gonna be happy that Metroid Prime exists in any capacity.
I agree, though I think they would still have to mention that Metroid prime 4 still in development and to stay turned for info at a later date. There would be plenty of people who would think MP4 is now just Metroid Prime Remaster

I remember when they revealed Metroid Dread, some folks thought Prime 4 was cancelled. Can't help it sometimes

I recall one of the funnier exchanges after that reveal
"Nintendo relies too much on remakes"
"What game is Metroid Dread a remake of?"
<silence>

Wait what makes you think the game isn't coming until next holiday? I thought we had linkedin evidence suggesting Retro has already at least partially moved on to their next project.

I thought it was a lock for this holiday, easily. That'll be 5+ years of dev time.
We don't know how long the game has been in full production for. Every game has a pre-production phase where they're just working stuff out. Even if you take that out of the equation, COVID happened so production probably slowed down for a while.

Metroid Prime 4 started development late 2018/early 2019. Tears of the Kingdom development started before then, had an existing engine, assets, and staffing for it, and STILL isn't out yet. MP4 isn't coming out for another year at least.

Prime 4 2023 is what I expected when it was was announced that it was being remade from scratch, but 2024 wouldn’t shock me at all given: (1) the need to get this game right, and (2) Retro’s ineffective output.

Let's not misrepresent someone like this, come on

Yeah, I finally watched the video and it was more like "We're approaching a point where it's been enough time since hearing about the game that if we don't hear any info soon within the next few months, I'm going to start worrying a fair bit that the game had development troubles even after the development restart, and even that might be jumping the gun but I'm a worry-prone person". I think it's fair to get a little worried when it's been so long since Retro developed a game of this scale and it already had a development restart, granted plenty of games with storied developments turn out great. I also got the impression part of the reason he felt like he did is that he would have preferred if they just never told us about the game at all, and dropped its announcement a year or less prior to its release.

Team January, you fought hard. Not well but hard. But now your service has ended.

xenoblade-xenoblade3.gif

May you return peacefully to the queen.

But as for Team February, your time is just beginning

ezgif.com_gif_maker__3_.gif

I remember when they revealed Metroid Dread, some folks thought Prime 4 was cancelled. Can't help it sometimes

I recall one of the funnier exchanges after that reveal
"Nintendo relies too much on remakes"
"What game is Metroid Dread a remake of?"
<silence>
I remember someone reacting to "Metroid 5" with "5? What happened to 4?"

Yeah, I finally watched the video and it was more like "We're approaching a point where it's been enough time since hearing about the game that if we don't hear any info soon within the next few months, I'm going to start worrying a fair bit that the game had development troubles even after the development restart, and even that might be jumping the gun but I'm a worry-prone person". I think it's fair to get a little worried when it's been so long since Retro developed a game of this scale and it already had a development restart, granted plenty of games with storied developments turn out great. I also got the impression part of the reason he felt like he did is that he would have preferred if they just never told us about the game at all, and dropped its announcement a year or less prior to its release.

Yeah, he literally says "sometimes games take a long time". And gives several examples. And is very understandable as to why they rebooted it and is glad that's what they chose to do

We don't know how long the game has been in full production for. Every game has a pre-production phase where they're just working stuff out. Even if you take that out of the equation, COVID happened so production probably slowed down for a while.

Metroid Prime 4 started development late 2018/early 2019. Tears of the Kingdom development started before then, had an existing engine, assets, and staffing for it, and STILL isn't out yet. MP4 isn't coming out for another year at least.
I vehemently disagree. Metroid is not Zelda. They will not pour the same time and budget into it.

Also as noted Retro appears to have at least partially moved on to their next project. Not sure if that would happen while Prime 4 is still ~22 months out.

I'm pretty confident it's releasing within the next 12 months.

You mean people on this forum just like to hate Arlo for no reason? I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.
There are plenty of valid reasons to criticize Arlo and their content. This is true of basically any content creator, nobody is perfect. That doesn't give anyone permission to misrepresent what they said in their content to feed a hate train.

They did an update to the Reddit Direct rumor

Basically saying they are actually skeptic of it and said what kind of proof they had.
I'll be honest with you, kudos to them for owning up to it and saying what's up.

"Obviously much like this websites layout, this is nothing but garbage."

whew, goddamn. 🤣

I vehemently disagree. Metroid is not Zelda. They will not pour the same time and budget into it.

Also as noted Retro appears to have at least partially moved on to their next project. Not sure if that would happen while Prime 4 is still ~22 months out.

If there's nothing left for certain developers to do (like a writer, storyboard artist, etc), they have to move on to the next project. Even if the current project is years away. Otherwise they'd have nothing to do.

I think that Arlo has had some outlandish takes, such as the disturbing rant near the end of his review of The Origami King, or saying that Tears of the Kingdom doesn't generate hype because of Elden Ring. These takes have fueled the wave of unwarranted hate and misconceptions towards many Nintendo developers, namely Tanabe and Miyamoto.

Although I'm not a fan of his content due to the aforementioned reasons, I do think the amount of hate he gets is unwarranted

If there's nothing left for certain developers to do (like a writer, storyboard artist, etc), they have to move on to the next project. Even if the current project is years away. Otherwise they'd have nothing to do.
I've never done game dev on a large team but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

Can't wait to see the E3 Famiboards booth. We should have a Summer Direct watching party there.

I think that Arlo has had some outlandish takes, such as the disturbing rant near the end of his review of The Origami King, or saying that Tears of the Kingdom doesn't generate hype because of Elden Ring. These takes have fueled the wave of unwarranted hate and misconceptions towards many Nintendo developers, namely Tanabe and Miyamoto.

Although I'm not a fan of his content due to the aforementioned reasons, I do think the amount of hate he gets is unwarranted
Here's the thing. I mean this with no offense to anyone here, but I've seen a lot worse takes on this very forum. People seem to hate Arlo because he's a YouTuber.

Thinking about the possibility of a June Direct, I feel like it depends on whether or not the Baten Kaitos remaster shows up in the Jan 39th Direct

For the most part, the rumor seems likely, the outlet has recently proved reputable and it's weird as hell to fake. If Dring's and Robinson's commentary is accurate and Nintendo has an empty back half of the year preventing them from participating at E3, they'd presumably just toss out a Partner Mini or something and Baten Kaitos wouldn't be shown. I'd think Nintendo would want it in a Direct of some kind, and if it's releasing in summer it's not really too soon to show it now, it's not like it'll overshadow Zelda or anything

So if it we don't see Baten Kaitos remaster relatively soon, it either doesn't exist or there's a June(ish) Direct where we see it. If we do see it soon, it's not a coffin nail, but I wouldn't take it as a good sign

Here's the thing. I mean this with no offense to anyone here, but I've seen a lot worse takes on this very forum. People seem to hate Arlo because he's a YouTuber.

One thing is writing a dumb take on a forum where you'd easily get called out for it. Another thing is to openly state to a vast, impressionable YouTube audience that there are select Nintendo developers that purposefully decide to make "bad games" just to spit on their fan's faces due to their gigantic egos

I don't think Arlo really gets anymore hate than other popular Nintendo YouTubers. The cycle is the same as it is for any of them: someone posts a link to (or simply mentions) a recent video and expresses a negative opinion, and a few others also agree that they are not fans. The difference with Arlo seems to be that more people here are fans and so then it turns into a bit of a back-and-forth.

I think there's definitely an argument to be made that maybe we should make more efforts to avoid the first step, i.e. don't bring up a new video just to disparage it or the creator. But I think that applies much more broadly than just Arlo.

I've never done game dev on a large team but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.
Where else would they go? New projects are in development all the time. It makes sense to have someone working on it when they can't do anything for the current project.

When I made a fake 4chan leak with a Takahashi having a new drip not a single site made a article about it. Now some random ass reddit user says something and it's all over the place.

No, Retro has not, lol.

The writer just put "unannounced project" because they're very corporate and work for Amazon and Mattel and want to be as professional as possible and Metroid Prime 4 is probably not the official title.

Literally every Retro employee who has posted on LinkedIn about Microsoft layoffs has said "the Metroid Prime 4 team is hiring!" instead of saying anything at all about non-Metroid stuff.

Where else would they go? New projects are in development all the time. It makes sense to have someone working on it when they can't do anything for the current project.
Some of them are contract employees who leave the studio when their contract is fulfilled. Some of them stay on to refine their writing/storyboarding/art as the game continues development and evolves.

They don't just write 30 pages in year 1 or 2 of development and call it a day. They work with the rest of the team on the overall project, getting feedback, making revisions and changes, updating things when changes in the overall game direction are made, things like that.

If they did it the way you said the final game would be an extremely incoherent and incongruous product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom