• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The good thing about Nintendo not bothering with E3 is that they can announce their Holiday game here.
This is a pretty interesting point of view on things. We didn't have a Nintendo Direct last summer, but the holiday games had already been announced for a while by that point (Splatoon 3 in Feb 2021, Mario + Rabbids in June 2021, Bayonetta 3 in 2017, and Pokemon Scarlet and Violet in Feb 2022). But this year we have no clue what's coming in the back half other than Pikmin 4. If there's not a summer Direct this year, do they announce everything early? Or will Twitter announcements become normal?

I'm guessing there will be an announcement on the 7th for a Direct on the 8th. Having an actual Direct on a Tuesday in February would be unusual.

This is a pretty interesting point of view on things. We didn't have a Nintendo Direct last summer, but the holiday games had already been announced for a while by that point (Splatoon 3 in Feb 2021, Mario + Rabbids in June 2021, Bayonetta 3 in 2017, and Pokemon Scarlet and Violet in Feb 2022). But this year we have no clue what's coming in the back half other than Pikmin 4. If there's not a summer Direct this year, do they announce everything early? Or will Twitter announcements become normal?
Definitely not Twitter announcements. We are not in 2020.

I think we're getting a lot in February (relative to this year, at least; I believe the rumors that say 2023 is gonna be a light year sans TotK) and a Twitter drop for something like Origami King was just a covid thing, not a new norm. We still might see a Twitter drop for a port or something less "appeals to the core base" like Tomadachi Life.

What a chad, the guy literally had a heart attack without having a heart attack, too crazy for just brushing that off like it was nothing and getting back to vids, geez
I mean like it or not it's his income, it's not like he has a choice but to get back to work thanks to the american healthcare system...

I'm away for one day and this thread blows up, what the hell people!
If you will hate this Direct after airing please look at these videos:

I don't see how that Partner Direct was bad when it gave us SMTIII and SMTV.
I think many people have different barometers for what makes a good Direct for them. For me personally, if I come away with a game or two on the horizon that I am looking forward to, I'm satisfied. On that scale, we had Octopath Traveler 2, Fire Emblem Engage, Tales and Kirby, so September's Direct really surpassed my expectations.

I'd have liked to have seen more Zelda, but the content we had was more than sufficient for my tastes.
Same here, as long as there is at least one or two games that catch my attention then the Direct is good in my books. Then again I don't watch these things expecting certain games to be shown so my hopes aren't raised sky high beforehand.
Lmao at Summers Game Fest being announced now
It's just so petty, especially since I doubt any of the Big 3 will bother showcasing anything significant for SGF.

I think we're getting a lot in February (relative to this year, at least; I believe the rumors that say 2023 is gonna be a light year sans TotK) and a Twitter drop for something like Origami King was just a covid thing, not a new norm. We still might see a Twitter drop for a port or something less "appeals to the core base" like Tomadachi Life.
Aren't we supposed to get a lot of remasters this year? Those could easily be Twitter drops.

They presumably would need to date Advance Wars (might be first half of this year), and then announce 3 to 5 games for the rest of the year. Pikmin 4 might go missing for a few months and then get a release date trailer in the summer.

Announcing 4 or 5 games in a Direct wouldn't be unprecedented, and it'd still leave this year's line-up on the thinner side versus the average Switch year. We'd be looking at 9 or 10 Nintendo-published titles for 2023 versus an average of 14 over the course of the Switch era. Add on a Nintendo-published third-party exclusive, a stand-alone announcement for something 'casual' later this year, and you're in the regular kind of terrain for first-party releases in a given year.

that reddit thing is very funny—always good to have a reminder that perhaps we cannot truly know anything

Speaking of remasters

I would have loved the Sunshine port to get more TLC

not only can the came use some extra love ala WW HD, nintendo has learned a lot about wetness tech from Splatoon

That’s why I was considering what Christoper Dring and the other guy said about Nintendo not have any MAJOR releases after TOTK. I believe it is true. I just want to know if 2D Mario or 2D DK is considered “major”
If 2D Mario of all things isn't considered major by literally any possible parameter, then we just gotta ignore whatever they meant with that. Before Mario Kart Wii happened it was literally the best selling Nintendo franchise ever.

Oh no, we're really gonna discuss the "no games after TotK" conspiracy until September Direct, aren't we? 😭

Nintendo I beg you please announce a damn 2D or 3D Mario on the next Direct.

Kind of offtopic but I honestly admire the Team January efforts. Year after year they're proved wrong but still vote for January. I wish I had that much self-confidence.

Bar Mario-something in June, and bar potentially Advance Wars and something on the eShop, I think the first half of 2023 is largely settled:

• January: Fire Emblem Engage
  • February: Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe
  • March: Bayonetta Origins
  • April: Advance Wars Reboot Camp
  • May: Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • June: Mario's Decidedly Middling Sports Game

Bear in mind in the same period Splatoon 3, Sparks of Hope, Mario Kart, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Fire Emblem Engage will all get some degree of DLC, and we'll get whatever additions Nintendo want to drip-feed for NSO.

• July: Tomodachi WORLD MOTHERFUCKERS, Baten Kaitos Spat On and Cleaned Up Edition
  • August: you get nothing
  • September: Pikmin 4, F ZERO GX HD
  • October: New Super Mario World, Metroid Prime I'm Real Now Edition
  • November: Animal Crossing: Whacky Spin-Off that Critics Say Meh To But the Masses Love
  • December: no

And again, in the same period, you get DLC for at least 5 Switch exclusives, as well as the drip-feed on NSO and potentially/hopefully the GB/GBA NSO launch.

allegedlys*
8vQEOeC.gif

Bar Mario-something in June, and bar potentially Advance Wars and something on the eShop, I think the first half of 2023 is largely settled:

Bear in mind in the same period Splatoon 3, Sparks of Hope, Mario Kart, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Fire Emblem Engage will all get some degree of DLC, and we'll get whatever additions Nintendo want to drip-feed for NSO.

• July: Tomodachi WORLD MOTHERFUCKERS, Baten Kaitos Spat On and Cleaned Up Edition
  • November: Animal Crossing: Whacky Spin-Off that Critics Say Meh To But the Masses Love

And again, in the same period, you get DLC for at least 5 Switch exclusives, as well as the drip-feed on NSO and potentially/hopefully the GB/GBA NSO launch.
Metroid Prime HD Remaster - I am Here.... Now Edition

If 2D Mario of all things isn't considered major by literally any possible parameter, then we just gotta ignore whatever they meant with that. Before Mario Kart Wii happened it was literally the best selling Nintendo franchise ever.

Oh no, we're really gonna discuss the "no games after TotK" conspiracy until September Direct, aren't we? 😭

Nintendo I beg you please announce a damn 2D or 3D Mario on the next Direct.
The new report says LESS major stuff, not NO major stuff. I'm thinking 2D Mario is the exception.

I think it's kind of funny how people have been saying Bayonetta Origins doesn't make sense or can't be the only Nintendo release for March. Like, I get a game that "small" would be unhype, but like, there's no reason Nintendo needs to have a strong March every year? The first half of this year will basically be carried by TotK and Fire Emblem and Kirby, either way.

2D Mario makes so much sense this year. Mario movie, Mario theme park land, and no new Mario games announced yet? Come on. The only question is when.

Animal Crossing spinoff seems too wishful (although it could be ND Cube's project), I'd say this is very reasonable, just move NSMW to November... (and maybe remove GX entirely, they could use it next year)

The irony of visiting this thread while taking an online stress awareness course for a new employer.
Congrats on the new job! Speaking of new employment, I'm starting my first ever job (well, internship but it's basically a job without getting paid) tomorrow.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

...not being at E3 does not mean no direct or digital event.
Those where always 2 things. i do expect a direct, just no presence at e§, and with that an direct thats maybe earlier or later.
What a chad, the guy literally had a heart attack without having a heart attack, too crazy for just brushing that off like it was nothing and getting back to vids, geez
I call him Mr. Clickbait.

I honestly feel that youtube nintendo content fell in quality since nintendo tightend up their leaks and shortened the anouncement and marketiong periods. All those channels have used up legacy content ("was x really that good?", "the obscure nintendo game you never heard of!"...), so that they have not much to do between snippets of news and fresh releases. ( i mean,... they could report on cool indie games, but that generates less clicks then stuff like....that...)
August is Nintendogs Warriors. December is the first wave of the expansion that adds horses and dolphins.
That...would actually be one of my highlights, and one of the only Warrior games i would really be interested. thats so off the wall, it could only get more and more ridiculous. With a lot of serious voice acting and stuff... it would be great. (but don't make it as cringe as cats vs dogs, that movie war just bad,...make it more like a less serious animal farm)

I'm assuming other people have brought it up, but I am definitely curious as to the scope of this direct. H2 of the 2022 lineup was more or less already announced before the winter direct aired, with Xenoblade being the only exception (and even then, that was the first one to release). Splatoon, Mario + Rabbids, and Bayonetta had all been announced well beforehand, and Pokemon was naturally announced in its own presentation.

For 2023, all that we have is (presumably) Pikmin 4. Fairly low chances of a new Pokemon game too, given that they'll probably follow the SwSh route of adding DLC. That makes the prospect of potentially no summer direct quite a bit more interesting, as that in turn implies that Nintendo will have most of their relevant announcements out of the way by the time June rolls around. That places quite a bit of weight on the winter direct, which makes a fair amount of sense considering that the H1 2023 lineup is already pretty strong.

Slot in some combination of Advance Wars, the Xenoblade 3 Expansion, Everybody's 1-2-Switch, and maybe one other title (most likely either a remaster or a Mario spinoff) and that's a strong lineup for H1. Announce something like Donkey Kong or 2D Mario for H2, and that's probably enough in terms of 1st party announcements. Save the big Pikmin 4 trailer for after Zelda, and then ride out H2 off of those two bigger games + DLC + remasters and/or smaller titles that could be announced through a Mini or a Twitter drop. That's where my expectations are set, at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom