• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Partners generally weren’t either until last year. Could easily see Nintendo announcing a Mini ahead of time if they wanted to, it’s not like there’s anything preventing them from doing so.
?

The first ever partner direct was announced ahead of time. I'm pretty sure only one or two actually haven't been.

Imagine Retro Studios releasing their second game on Switch and it being a second re-release and oh my god we're going a solid decade or more without a new game from them aren't we

?

The first ever partner direct was announced ahead of time. I'm pretty sure only one or two actually haven't been.
Like 10 hours in advance at midnight. Next three were shadowdropped, and then the 2022 direct was announced a day early.

My point is that Nintendo is not beholden to some golden rule of not announcing a Mini ahead of time. Don’t think precedent really can be applied here given how inconsistent they’ve been in the past.

Like 10 hours in advance at midnight. Next three were shadowdropped, and then the 2022 direct was announced a day early.

My point is that Nintendo is not beholden to some golden rule of not announcing a Mini ahead of time. Don’t think precedent really can be applied here given how inconsistent they’ve been in the past.
Oh was it three of them?

I mean yeah of course I agree they'll do whatever the hell they want, I was just trying to answer the question about what they've typically done with minis, which is I think in every case so far they've shadowdropped them.

Imagine Retro Studios releasing their second game on Switch and it being a second re-release and oh my god we're going a solid decade or more without a new game from them aren't we

Apparently if your development studio starts with the letter R, you are now allergic to releasing new games.

Once again, if we get nothing this week I'm calling BS on the Metroid rumor and going back to Team February.
As I said, history has taught us to never believe random Twitter/Reddit where you can simply delete what do don't want to be there. Team February wins.

"Hey, guys, I was just thinking something; why do we keep trying to make new games when our company's name is Retro?"

Everyone at Retro Studios after that Earth-shattering revelation:

patrick-star-mind-blown.gif

And this is why things are the way they are now.

There's still time to join Team March people, do not let yourself in with those youngster hippies and their "hype" we of team March have years of experience under our belt and know when to doom at the right time, and now is the right time, when there is smoke there is an army of smelly teenagers following its stench and you do.not.want.to.smell.that. be the wise guy.

Just realized this year marks 9 years since Retro's last game. What's even more nuts is that in a 9 year span starting with Metroid Prime 1's release, Retro developed and released all of their games besides Tropical Freeze.

If in the next Direct we see the next Etrian Odyssey, I will make a dungeon-crawler (first person in my pref) rpg thread for the 5 of us in fami. Because I did not realize that there are more than a few coming up (both first person and isometric) this year.

If in the next Direct we see the next Etrian Odyssey, I will make a dungeon-crawler (first person in my pref) rpg thread for the 5 of us in fami. Because I did not realize that there are more than a few coming up (both first person and isometric) this year.
Awesome. First Person Dungeon Crawlers are among my fav genre of RPGs. I actually ordered repro carts of the first few Wizardry games for my SNES recently.

Honestly, with all the roguelike trends, I'd actually love to see a roguelike-ish first person dungeon crawler. There's hundreds of maze generators out there and those would lend themselves perfect to grid-based first person dungeon crawlers, imo.

I haven't played tHiFM, but is this Seventh Layer game equally as lauded?
i haven't played it myself, but fans seem to like it. it's more of a joke sequel, that's not really part of the main canon (as far as i know), but it's the only part of the series that wasn't on switch so it's good to have everything on one system.

i haven't played it myself, but fans seem to like it. it's more of a joke sequel, that's not really part of the main canon (as far as i know), but it's the only part of the series that wasn't on switch so it's good to have everything on one system.
Wait, tHiFM is part of a series? Is it a thematic series of games like the science adventure titles? Or a narrative series like the Zero Escape titles?

Wait, tHiFM is part of a series? Is it a thematic series of games like the science adventure titles? Or a narrative series like the Zero Escape titles?
the series is all connected
  • the house in fata morgana, the original game is available on pc with an enhanced version available on ps4/vita/switch
  • a aequiem for Innocence, which is a prequel, also available on pc with an enhanced version on ps4/vita/switch
  • reincarnation, a sequel taking place in modern time, only available on ps4/vita/switch
  • seventh lair, which features characters from the main games but isn't really a continuation (afaik)

Dreams of the Revenants Edition contains the first three games, as well as other extras

Awesome. First Person Dungeon Crawlers are among my fav genre of RPGs. I actually ordered repro carts of the first few Wizardry games for my SNES recently.

Honestly, with all the roguelike trends, I'd actually love to see a roguelike-ish first person dungeon crawler. There's hundreds of maze generators out there and those would lend themselves perfect to grid-based first person dungeon crawlers, imo.
Yeah, its interesting that it has not been attempted. Maybe the details in perspective vs an isometric view is not worth it? A template of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon comes to mind where maps/floors aren't big but their randomness rewards exploration, that could help.

We're already into the THIRD day of 2023 and there's been no major gaming news or events yet? I demand a refund smh

Just realized this year marks 9 years since Retro's last game. What's even more nuts is that in a 9 year span starting with Metroid Prime 1's release, Retro developed and released all of their games besides Tropical Freeze.

Prime 1 started development in early 2000, so it took them a little under 12 years to develop 5 games (I include Mario Kart 7 since they designed 21 out of the 32 tracks). It's crazy how out of control AAA development has gotten where one game cancellation can result in a decade with nothing to show.

Yeah, its interesting that it has not been attempted. Maybe the details in perspective vs an isometric view is not worth it? A template of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon comes to mind where maps/floors aren't big but their randomness rewards exploration, that could help.
I've heard tell of a game called Dungeon Hack from 1993 that fits the bills. Haven't played it, though.

Prime 1 started development in early 2000, so it took them a little under 12 years to develop 5 games (I include Mario Kart 7 since they designed 21 out of the 32 tracks). It's crazy how out of control AAA development has gotten where one game cancellation can result in a decade with nothing to show.
Yeah, it's extra painful to go down different older game developers wiki pages, seeing them release like 4 games a year in the 90s, then first half the 2010s 1 game a year, then multiple gap years between games afterwards.

Just waiting for someone to hint that Eternal Darkness is getting a HD Remaster

…..and Billy Hatcher
Unfortunately I don't see Nintendo touching Eternal Darkness with a ten-foot pole, if only to avoid the potential clickbaity articles going "Nintendo to publish video game written by convicted pedophile".

Uhh, I know this probably means nothing, but Animal Crossing New Horizons just jumped to number one featured game on the e-shop. Last time I remember this happening was with Pikmin 3 in September, and we all know what happened after that.

Edit: DK Tropical Freeze is also on the featured page now, but it's much lower and might be related to the Mario Movie.

Nintendo shouldn't wait until September to put Gameboy/Color/Advance games on the NSO. We should get them by the end of this month. Please help us out Nintendo.

-Signed, Josh

Uhh, I know this probably means nothing, but Animal Crossing New Horizons just jumped to number one featured game on the e-shop. Last time I remember this happening was with Pikmin 3 in September, and we all know what happened after that.

Edit: DK Tropical Freeze is also on the featured page now, but it's much lower and might be related to the Mario Movie.

Nintendo's handling of Animal Crossing: New Horizons has to be the biggest tragedy in gaming. They didn't even add all of the datamined stuff before just plain giving up.

Nintendo's handling of Animal Crossing: New Horizons has to be the biggest tragedy in gaming. They didn't even add all of the datamined stuff before just plain giving up.
You're talking about the multiplayer stuff, right? I'm wondering if that got turned into its own game. New Horizons already had a ton of content.

I feel like an Animal Crossing spin-off this year would make a lot of sense. Happy Home Designer hit 3DS a little over two and a half years on from New Leaf's Japanese launch date.

Maybe it'll be based on ideas that weren't followed through in New Horizons, but outsourced to NdCube to make my repeated prediction reality. Clearly Nintendo should take my whims into account when making games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom