• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
January is a bit of a drag tbh, closer we get to February I think we could hear something. Also tommorow and Thursday there is maybe a chance for news.

Hot take

The Mario vs DK series were all good to great games. They just suffered from the same issue that things like Mario & Luigi or NSMB did where we got so many of them in such a short period of time that people understandably burned out on them.
I think the first two or three were good, but they got mediocre imo, at least the download only one I played last was mediocre. I really really loved the first game and was wowed by Mario's moveset when I was a kid, making me wish we'd get a full fledge 2D Mario that controlled like it but faster in movement. The second one, I thought was ok, but I was never a fan of the changed controls.

Also I just feel like they're a good representation of how underutilized the Mario franchise is. In a series that brings together both Mario and Donkey Kong you'd think they'd go all out. Have different DK characters as bosses or playable characters, have DK locations and items, same with Mario, like imagine a level with warp pipes, floating blocks, tire springs, swinging vines, and red girders, but instead they just took the story from MvDK and just repeated the same idea and story over and over and just adding more mini types. It's annoying and I feel like that mindset has started to infect everything Mario related.

We're definitely getting some sort of news this week, probably even tomorrow. Fire Emblem's out, they can market whenever they want now

This would make for a fitting Nintendo Direct reveal. About 20 months since the announcement.
I would absolutely expect S-E to bring something to the Direct other than an Octopath II demo. Unless the demo is getting announced outside of a Direct as it’s a multiplatform title. I don’t remember how the Harvestella and Diofield demos were handled.

It's not like Sony and Nintendo coordinated to have that Direct and State of Play on the same day. They don't give a shit what each other does. It was pure coincidence and it was awesome.

What are the odds of a Pikmin 4 Release date? surely that has to be a spring / summer game?
I'm not expecting one. Nintendo loves to announce or fully reveal one/some of their big H2 games in the September direct from a year before. Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, and Bayonetta 3 all followed a similar pattern. Xenoblade was the only exception, and that was a remaster.

I fully expect Pikmin 4 to also be H2, in which case there's no pressing need to announce or show off the game this early. It'll get its full unveiling in the Summer.

Didn't we have a Direct and a State of Play in the same week before?

When the Queen died and some companies were radio silent for almost a week. Obviously there are going to be additional considerations but in general I don't think people should be expecting big news this week.

Don't the major companies communicate regarding their announcement windows? I don't think Nintendo would do much this week if MS has already scheduled a direct.

No they don't. At least not to the extent that people online believe they do for some reason. Something like a Direct presentation takes weeks or months to make, edit, and plan. If there are third party announcements, they are expecting the presentation to appear at a specific date well in advance so they can get their marketing materials ready. Games that shadow dropped are planned for release at that date as well. Nintendo delaying a Direct simply because Microsoft announced a presentation would impact multiple partners and companies.

Coordination would mean a company is not thrown off and rescheduling because of an announcement of a presentation. The whole point of what I am saying is that they communicate before announcements are made.

We’ll get something in February even if at the very least it’s Pokemon Day DLC for S/V

I think what’s interesting this time round is how they cover TotK. The fact we’ve seen next to nothing of the game and we are around 4 months out from release in my mind signals 2 possible outcomes

- The next Direct is dedicated to Zelda. 25-30 mins of just TotK going into individual details on new systems/gameplay features that kind of thing.

- The next Direct will be a general, will end on a new trailer for TotK and it will be followed by a Treehouse Live which will focus on TotK.

Now, when this drops is anybodies guess. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had to wait until March for either of the above, maybe an Indie show on Feb along with Pokemon Day. Or, Eve just some Twitter drop reveals over the course of feb

This would make for a fitting Nintendo Direct reveal. About 20 months since the announcement.

I think SaGa will go first as it's already trademarked. But I'd lose my mind if they reveal the new games in both projects int eh same Direct. As higher budget 3D titles like Trials...

Really want to see the reveal trailer for the 2D Mario game. Super Mario Maker 2 reveal trailer is really one of my favorites, specially the damn good music (that's not even presented in the game).

Really want to see the reveal trailer for the 2D Mario game. Super Mario Maker 2 reveal trailer is really one of my favorites, specially the damn good music (that's not even presented in the game).

Imo we’ll not see the next 2D Mario until the Switch successor comes.

All this talk of showcases happening the same week reminded me of this gem.

I mean on the plus side, mini or general, whatever happens this next month or so has gotta be better than the last direct… right…

I think for the next direct we're not going to see a new zelda trailer and they'll announce a Zelda direct for late february or probably March like they did with animal crossing in 2021 together with previews of the game. Zelda games need all the time they can get and I don't think even a 10 minute segment in a direct would work. I also think it won't be the closer of the direct but I don't know which game will be, are we really getting dk this year? (Also 2d mario or pikmin 4 opener)

announcement today?

R.8356a96707b70ddfcf2c5f21b2442932

I think for the next direct we're not going to see a new zelda trailer and they'll announce a Zelda direct for late february or probably March like they did with animal crossing in 2021 together with previews of the game. Zelda games need all the time they can get and I don't think even a 10 minute segment in a direct would work. I also think it won't be the closer of the direct but I don't know which game will be, are we really getting dk this year? (Also 2d mario or pikmin 4 opener)
Zelda Direct is a total fanfiction. Treehouse demo at best, that's all.

An hour to go for Tweeting Time. I keep saying this week makes sense since there’s clear benefits from going early this year, (thin line up, Bayonetta and Zelda needing big promotion, etc.) but the vibe doesn’t feel right either. Excited to see what we get today if anything.

An hour to go for Tweeting Time. I keep saying this week makes sense since there’s clear benefits from going early this year, (thin line up, Bayonetta and Zelda needing big promotion, etc.) but the vibe doesn’t feel right either. Excited to see what we get today if anything.
Of course the vibe doesn't feel right, it's january

All this talk of showcases happening the same week reminded me of this gem.

I mean on the plus side, mini or general, whatever happens this next month or so has gotta be better than the last direct… right…

In hindsight, I remember that a lot of people assumed the direct was as lackluster as it was because Nintendo was saving stuff for a hardware showcase around the corner...

Nintendo news have been rough recently lol

In hindsight, I remember that a lot of people assumed the direct was as lackluster as it was because Nintendo was saving stuff for a hardware showcase around the corner...

Nintendo news have been rough recently lol
"The direct was bad because they're holding back for new hardware" is a lot easier to copium then admitting "this direct just didn't have many games for me, and that's okay".

I actually think Mario will be missing from the next Direct.

That's right, folks, Mario is Missing Deluxe + Bowser's Typing Fury launches this spring alongside the official Nintendo Switchboard + Mouse. Trailer ends with a teaser for 2023's big holiday release: a new Mario Paint. Calling it now.

(to be very clear, I am obviously not an insider, I'm just someone with a dream)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom