• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the Zelda team is now past the teaser timeframe. I think in the June Direct they'll finally show off a longer, fuller look at Aonuma's new haircut.
Yes, when he bows to the audience after apologising for delaying the game until 2024.

In seriousness though, I was previously gung-ho on The Sequel getting a blowout in the June direct. But that was when it wasn't just The June Direct, it was The E3 Direct. My possibly incorrect assumption is that these E3 directs garner a larger audience and more press ink and so of course Zelda would have to be there to draw the attention of people who aren't in the Nintendosphere already.
But if it's just another direct, and Nintendo have done the research and decided that people will treat it like just another direct, then.. Doing a blowout this early doesn't make sense. Especially when there's other games coming well before The Sequel that Nintendo want you to focus your attention on.
Edit: I do think we'll see it though. But it won't be some big substantial thing. Might not even be a title reveal.

I really dont think we will have both mp4 and the remakester together. Well, maybe a 5 second teaser of mp4, but thats barely a teaser much less a trailer.

I really dont think we will have both mp4 and the remakester together. Well, maybe a 5 second teaser of mp4, but thats barely a teaser much less a trailer.
They'll do what they did with Bayonetta 3 and the initial announcement of MP4: just enough to let you know it exists. With MP4 we might actually get a little bit of in-game footage

They'll do what they did with Bayonetta 3 and the initial announcement of MP4: just enough to let you know it exists. With MP4 we might actually get a little bit of in-game footage
Good point acktchually, i had completely forgotten about bayo 3 and bayo 1 and 2. Still, i cant see them showing something concrete, much less gameplay.

No. He said “mainline Fire Emblem”.

In the comments section of his latest podcast. Someone called him a fake insider and he responded with “Enjoy the upcoming mainline Fire Emblem game coming soon.”
Huh, well it seems he may be more confident in that now, pair that with Emily getting more info about it and I'd say a late 2022 release is looking more likely

I think Nate heard something new too like Emily and it’s most likely coming late this year.
That'd be nice, I guess its just a matter of waiting until June where it would be revealed, or for Emily/Nate to spill some details, but I do hope its coming

Good point acktchually, i had completely forgotten about bayo 3 and bayo 1 and 2. Still, i cant see them showing something concrete, much less gameplay.
it's either that or not mention MP4 at all. the original announcement came with another Metroid announcement to tide people over, so they already used that shot. if they do it again, there needs to be some more meat.

So I have an open question for the thread, a fun idea and though I got recently.

What if.. Nintendo - instead of a Direct and Treehouse - brings back the Digital Event format? 50 minutes. Only 10-12 games shown, most of them first-party, and a lot of deep-dives.

What would you like to see in such an event?
If such a thing happens, what can we expect in form of announcements and deep-dives?

I expected Nintendo to release a Zelda game this year, but if they still put BotW 2 in this fiscal year, I just can't see them with two Zelda games with less than 6 months between them (assuming it would be a October title).

I also think another Fire Emblem game this year will be unlikely, specially if we think Bayonetta 3 is still 2022 title.

So I have an open question for the thread, a fun idea and though I got recently.

What if.. Nintendo - instead of a Direct and Treehouse - brings back the Digital Event format? 50 minutes. Only 10-12 games shown, most of them first-party, and a lot of deep-dives.

If such a thing happens, what can we expect in form of announcements and deep-dives?
No. Directs are concise and move at a good pace. Then the treehouse gives us all the deep dives with devs.

I expected Nintendo to release a Zelda game this year, but if they still put BotW 2 in this fiscal year, I just can't see them with two Zelda games with less than 6 months between them (assuming it would be a October title).

I also think another Fire Emblem game this year will be unlikely, specially if we think Bayonetta 3 is still 2022 title.
Why would Bayonetta 3 mean no Fire Emblem this year?

I don't think that they would be afraid to do a Zelda game this fall if they need to. They've released something like 4 Pokemon games (Snap, BD/SP, Arceus, Gen IX) in 18 months. If there's a gap in the release schedule I'm sure they'd fill it.

Digital Event isn't any different from a Direct anyway, so what changes?

Why would Bayonetta 3 mean no Fire Emblem this year?
I'm just thinking about the schedule. I don't think they would release both in October (assuming this is the only free slot) and I don't they would get one of them out in late November / Early December - even though I believe they will also have a game for late September).

I don't think that they would be afraid to do a Zelda game this fall if they need to. They've released something like 4 Pokemon games (Snap, BD/SP, Arceus, Gen IX) in 18 months. If there's a gap in the release schedule I'm sure they'd fill it.
good point
I believe they also had a similar new release schedule for Mario in the past years, with New Super Mario and Mario Maker 2 releasing very close to each other (and Mario 3d all stars and Mario World 3d as well)

I'm just thinking about the schedule. I don't think they would release both in October (assuming this is the only free slot) and I don't they would get one of them out in late November / Early December - even though I believe they will also have a game for late September).
Bayonetta 3 could be in August

seems like Nintendo prefer to release this style of games in that month, similar to Astral chain and No more heroes

Anyway, real answer, I would love it if Directs reverted somewhat to the old format. These days Directs are very fast-paced advertisement reels, and while there are benefits to this approach that most prefer, I'd like more Ask the Developer-like content integrated. The reveal of Splatoon, for instance, benefitted greatly from the personal touch, and I would like that to return.

Anyway, real answer, I would love it if Directs reverted somewhat to the old format. These days Directs are very fast-paced advertisement reels, and while there are benefits to this approach that most prefer, I'd like more Ask the Developer-like content integrated. The reveal of Splatoon, for instance, benefitted greatly from the personal touch, and I would like that to return.
Me tooooooo. Whenever I think of "old Directs" I think of Miyamoto visiting the shrine for Star Fox and the army of yarn Yoshis that Emi Watanabe made for Woolly World. I miss that sort of stuff so much.

I guess I’ll go against the grain and say I really don’t want that stuff in Directs.

Maybe separate deep dive videos or something.

It’s charming but I really prefer the fast paced. Especially because great trailers speak for themselves and are memorable on their own

I’m so glad those old direct format days are over. Just brings a presentation to a screeching halt. Treehouse is the best. You get all the great in depth there.

Nintendo did the short skit with Bowser and Doug Bowser. I’m fine with skits going that far.

We also used to get more Directs in the past. So while more time could be given to specific games, there wasn't as much of an expectation of getting a ton of announcements each time because there was always the possibility of another Direct just around the corner. Nowadays, there's only 3 major ones a year so they need to do all the major announcements in these three goes while also having a presentation that is fast and snappy enough.

The old presentation format was because they didn’t have third party support and they need to fill up with deep dive of their first party titles.

Nowdays is very different and have more flexible in what to choose to promote.

Look at last year E3, they feature ~25 announcements/headlines/reminders in less than 40 minutes, 9 first party and 16 third party.

this year is at very least another 9 (mk8 dx dlc, mario+rabbids 2, xeno 3, bayo 3, splatoon 3, metroid, zelda, fe 3 hopes, pokemon s/v) games to be likely featured.

Last edited:
What have I missed in the reliable rumor mill for the last 5 months or so?

I’ve taken a healthier approach to Nintendo by paying them virtually zero attention and being surprised by stumbling on stuff once they announce things. As in, I have literally learned of their recent announcements through actual advertising. 😅

on the other hand, I find the modern deluge of short looks at late ports really boring

I'm glad most people prefer it though, and Directs are doing better than ever. I just hope that if we get new IP it is afforded the same format that Splatoon was

Yes, when he bows to the audience after apologising for delaying the game until 2024.

In seriousness though, I was previously gung-ho on The Sequel getting a blowout in the June direct. But that was when it wasn't just The June Direct, it was The E3 Direct. My possibly incorrect assumption is that these E3 directs garner a larger audience and more press ink and so of course Zelda would have to be there to draw the attention of people who aren't in the Nintendosphere already.
But if it's just another direct, and Nintendo have done the research and decided that people will treat it like just another direct, then.. Doing a blowout this early doesn't make sense. Especially when there's other games coming well before The Sequel that Nintendo want you to focus your attention on.
Edit: I do think we'll see it though. But it won't be some big substantial thing. Might not even be a title reveal.
I think that just about everyone recognizes the fact that E3 normally happens in June, and when Nintendo does one without E3 that they still probably recognize it as "okay yeah, this is supposed to be E3 level stuff so it's gonna be big".

BTW, have we had any word if the June Direct is like actually a thing? Or are we still just hoping it actually happens? Jeff Grubb would probably have written an article that Nintendo wouldn't hold a presentation if that were the case right?

BTW, have we had any word if the June Direct is like actually a thing? Or are we still just hoping it actually happens? Jeff Grubb would probably have written an article that Nintendo wouldn't hold a presentation if that were the case right?
I mean, they have to detail their 2nd half of the year and June directs just make sense timing wise, and nothing is indicating that they won't have one

Will we see another series revival next month ? Wave Race, Mother, 1080°, Chibi Robo, Pilotwings, Elite Beat Agent, Custom Robo, Sin and Punishment, Nintendogs ( the last one was 11 years ago )..
Last year we got Advance Wars and this year Mario Strikers but can we expect more ?

Will we see another series revival next month ? Wave Race, Mother, 1080°, Chibi Robo, Pilotwings, Elite Beat Agent, Custom Robo, Sin and Punishment, Nintendogs ( the last one was 11 years ago )..
Last year we got Advance Wars and this year Mario Strikers but can we expect more ?

Yes, I'm 100% confident there will be more revivals this year.

Nintendo Switch Sports

Yes, I'm 100% confident there will be more revivals this year.

Nintendo Switch Sports
Totally forgot about it, but you could argue that Wii Sports Club is only 8 years old, so the series wasn't truly dead before Switch Sports. 😛

Remind me: Did we even have a Direct on March or April?

We usually do each year, at least for April, right?

Remind me: Did we even have a Direct on March or April?

We usually do each year, at least for April, right?

No. The last direct was a Pokemon direct in late February.

There is typically an indie direct in the March/April period, but not this year,

I dont expect a Zelda Blowout. There is to much in between to clear up. We have a rough outline for the rest of the year.
We COULD get to september with soem twitter anouncements.
Them clearing up that Xenoblade and Splatoon have switched could be an indication for that.

But besides pokemon, whats the big Holiday one? Bayo? does not feel like the BIG one, more like a "second tier" like Luigis Mansion.

FE? Did i miss something?

Im currently pretty out of the loop what to expect from nintendo in the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom