• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope xc3 remains like 1 and 2 are, that is huge but closed maps.
You can't have the kind of story 1 and 2 had with an open world.
You can see in X how having an open map resulted into a really disappointing story...

You can see in X how having an open map resulted into a really disappointing story...
X's open map isn't what did that. The mid-development shift from a narrative-focused game with a voiced main character to an MMO-style squad-based game with a silent protagonist is what did that. The team even admitted they scrapped a bunch of story when they decided to make the MC a simple player avatar. An open-map Xenoblade can still work just fine with a heavy narrative, I believe.

That's true, but you can always limit to some degree where the player can go (enemy level, natural barriers, need to use X vehicle...) while letting the player go from one side of the world to the other freely and without loading times once they have all the required tools and have advanced through the story. In fact, XCX has clear entry points for most areas until you get the flying module for the mech.

Of course I don't mean a game as open as XCX (for the good and the bad reasons), and they are clearly making a story-focused game here, but all the footage so far seems to indicate that the world will be open. If you check the battle clid where the party is fighting some bird close to a cliff:
maxresdefault.jpg

Resolution of the pic is bad, but you can see in the original video that the party is in a forest-surrounded area, but that the desert area is near, and both the fallen arm (which is in a desert area shown in the 1st trailer) and what seems to be Indol are visible and seem to be accessible (this is just speculation from my side). Same with other areas, Uraya can be seen often at the background when the party is fighting. I think that the way the world is presented would make the areas being separated by loading times quite jarring, so I think that this game will have a truly open world with some areas limited to story progression (like any other open world except BotW tbh).

According to a random person on r/gamingleaksandrumors, it's Destiny II. Makes sense though after two very successful GaaS ports on Switch.

Personally I hope it’s not Destiny as I have zero interest in that. Be cool if they brought more Bethesda games over, like Dishonoured

I think this summer would be a perfect opportunity for Nintendo to show that they don't need E3 at all whatsoever.

I think Nintendo will still have a Treehouse this year. I could be wrong, but I think it would be a good idea.

that's not true at all
I mean, it kind of is. X's story is abysmal and is easily the weakest part of the game. Not that it's IMPOSSIBLE to have a good story in an open world game, but it's very very difficult (especially pacing-wise). The only open world game that I can think of that I actually thought had a good story is Witcher 3, due to how incredibly narratively-focused it is. BOTW does as well, but it gets around the open-world problem by having the story told in memories and flashbacks, and that works pretty well there.

Now, it's entirely possible that if they really tried for a story in an open world and didn't change plans and adjust a lot midway through like @chocolate_supra pointed out (and didn't have a silent pre-made MC) they could pull it off, but I still maintain that in general it's VERY hard to pull off a well-paced and good story in a true open world game.

Do you guys think they put out the June direct before Strikers or after?

Resolution of the pic is bad, but you can see in the original video that the party is in a forest-surrounded area, but that the desert area is near, and both the fallen arm (which is in a desert area shown in the 1st trailer) and what seems to be Indol are visible and seem to be accessible (this is just speculation from my side). Same with other areas, Uraya can be seen often at the background when the party is fighting. I think that the way the world is presented would make the areas being separated by loading times quite jarring, so I think that this game will have a truly open world with some areas limited to story progression (like any other open world except BotW tbh).
Following Xeno 2 ending, would be strange thay your prediction is truth and Xeno 3 world is open style but with some barriers at the beginning so you can’t go anywhere at early story, it opens up little by little and at the end you are getting a full open world.

Do you guys think they put out the June direct before Strikers or after?
Probably after because it will have its overview trailer and all that beforehand anyway, id expect the marketing for it to start pretty soon, it'll get a spot in the montage + maybe dlc discussion in the direct

The main title being The Legend of Zelda, right
I think they go back to the Zelda II style of naming thing and get everyone mad with whatever number they pick.

"Um, Link's Awakening, DX, and the Switch remake should count as three separate games."

"Battle Quest from Nintendo Land is 100% a mainline Zelda game."

"Why are Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons counted as two games? I've never played them, but they're the same game with different color palettes, right?"

I think there’s a high chance of seeing a new trailer for BOTW2 with the title revealed in June Direct
I think they will reveal gameplay and the title later this year, on September or so, when all the XC and Hyrule Warriors and so on have been released and Nintendo has marketed them enough.

I don't expect the summer Direct to be that great, we have already a good amount of announced games for the year (Pokemon and Bayo 3 + some unannounced ports may cover the autumn), so BotW2 appearing on the May-June Direct may indicate a lack of other big content as it is too soon to start showing the game in detail IMO.

I think there’s a high chance of seeing a new trailer for BOTW2 with the title revealed in June Direct

Yeah, I think they have to show something. They can't show up and ask for patience again after they announced the delay. Plus there's very likely some Zelda announcement on the next direct so they can't just not address it.

If Mario Party Superstars DLC doesn't show up in the June Direct, I'm going to give up hope for it. Which is a huge shame considering the QOL and great minigame selection looked to 5 (well 4, I never play Woody's Hell) boards

And my theory continues to stand. Every year I’ve said if BotW 2 got a proper showing at the Game Awards then it would release the following year.

you people said that in 2020 already lol
botw2 is like a jack in the box

we keep turning the handle and it's not popping up

but like, surely we keep getting closer, right? it's not like "oh the jack in the box didn't pop out when we guessed, it's not happening"

Nintendo in many times showcase the Spring game of the next year in E3 they done so with Yoshi Crafted World and Animal Crossing NH. They even revealed Fire Emblem Three Houses in E3 with Spring 2019 as a release window before it get delayed. The only exception was Monster Hunter Rise but i do believe that game was an E3 announcement if it wasn't covid

But yeah either June or September for BOTW2 or else that game will get delayed. Again lol

Nintendo in many times showcase the Spring game of the next year in E3 they done so with Yoshi Crafted World and Animal Crossing NH. They even revealed Fire Emblem Three Houses in E3 with Spring 2019 as a release window before it get delayed. The only exception was Monster Hunter Rise but i do believe that game was an E3 announcement if it wasn't covid

But yeah either June or September for BOTW2 or else that game will get delayed. Again lol
Kirby's an exception too

I said it on a prior page, I 100% believe Breath of the Wild 2 will be there. The only question is really how much it is there. Does it just tease more, do we get a solid trailer with a name drop, and do we get a Treehouse Live demo?

I think it is going to be a solid trailer with the name drop. No Treehouse demo.

If BOTW 2 wasn’t there, what would they show? The hard locks are definitely Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3, and Bayonetta 3. The first two were already a major part of the last Direct. Depending on the air date, Mario Strikers and Fire Emblem Three Hopes could show up again. I think Nintendo is careful not to make back to back Directs feel like repeats of each other and they know people are anxious for Breath of the Wild news. They’ll meet expectations alongside other new reveals (I’m betting on Mario).

If anything, I think it would be Kirby, right? It's Kirby's anniversary and you could put Dream Land 1, Dream Land 2, and Adventure on there with the buttons it has.
I forgot about the little pink fluff ball, that's another good possibility! A mouthful mode Game & Watch would be fun.

I don't think we will see anything about BOTW2 in the June direct. The hysteria will start in the September direct with a trailer and a title and from then on till Spring release the marketing for this game will be inescapable . It's gonna be massive!

I said it on a prior page, I 100% believe Breath of the Wild 2 will be there. The only question is really how much it is there. Does it just tease more, do we get a solid trailer with a name drop, and do we get a Treehouse Live demo?

I think it is going to be a solid trailer with the name drop. No Treehouse demo.

If BOTW 2 wasn’t there, what would they show? The hard locks are definitely Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3, and Bayonetta 3. The first two were already a major part of the last Direct. Depending on the air date, Mario Strikers and Fire Emblem Three Hopes could show up again. I think Nintendo is careful not to make back to back Directs feel like repeats of each other and they know people are anxious for Breath of the Wild news. They’ll meet expectations alongside other new reveals (I’m betting on Mario).
I kind of feel like the time for teasers has passed for BOTW2, now that they've done that twice and also shown multiple delay/"BOTW won't be shown here" videos with Aonuma. I think the next time we see the game, it'll be a full proper trailer and title reveal, and the summer Direct makes the most sense to me to do that. If it was usual E3 this year, I'd say it was pretty much 100% guaranteed; even without that though I still think it's very likely.
Those games have been a 'guarantee' since like 2019, they'll come when they come
It's guaranteed to be there if it's launching this year, as has been rumored recently. A summer Direct reveal for a fall release, almost exactly the same as Dread got last year, makes a ton of sense (assuming it is indeed launching this year, of course)

We’re past teasers now. We’re in full blown trailer territory for BotW 2. If we had E3 this year it would 1000% be there because that’s how Nintendo always does their big 3D Zelda and 3D Mario games. I’m only a little iffy because there is no E3 this year. So it might give Nintendo some wiggle room to wait until a September time to do a full blowout.

I think the Metroid Prime Remaster will be there because we will also see our first trailer of Prime 4 there.
Now that's a little spicier! But I think it could definitely happen. At the very least, I don't think they'll show off Prime 1 Remaster without at least mentioning Prime 4 in some way, maybe with a small teaser or something.

My dream is that we get a "here's an upcoming game, and another thing for a related game" theme to the Direct:

- Here's Metroid Prime 1 Remaster trailer, coming this fall! Followed by a quick Prime 4 teaser, coming later down the line

- Here's BOTW2 big trailer! It's been delayed until Spring, as we already said, but here, have WWHD/TPHD as a nice consolation game for this fall!

- Here's a last-minute brief showing for FE: Three Hopes, coming in just a few weeks! Oh and btw, here's a reveal trailer for a brand new proper FE game coming this fall/spring!

Now that's a little spicier! But I think it could definitely happen. At the very least, I don't think they'll show off Prime 1 Remaster without at least mentioning Prime 4 in some way, maybe with a small teaser or something.

My dream is that we get a "here's an upcoming game, and another thing for a related game" theme to the Direct:

- Here's Metroid Prime 1 Remaster trailer, coming this fall! Followed by a quick Prime 4 teaser, coming later down the line

- Here's BOTW2 big trailer! It's been delayed until Spring, as we already said, but here, have WWHD/TPHD as a nice consolation game for this fall!

- Here's a last-minute brief showing for FE: Three Hopes, coming in just a few weeks! Oh and btw, here's a reveal trailer for a brand new proper FE game coming this fall/spring!

I am in favour of this line of reasoning!

I was thinking “how far is too far” for big game announcements. I know the February direct had alot of first party announcements.

Could we get a MPR, MP4 trailer, BotW 2 trailer and a new Fire Emblem/DK/Mario game announcement? It seems reasonable

I’m leaning towards BOTW2 in the autumn Direct. They need to fully show it the next time instead of another sneak peak and there’s just so much ground to cover in the summer Direct with all the big H2 ‘22 releases. I’d love to be wrong but my gut says we see the blowout when they’ve gotten more marketing for H2 ‘22 out of the way.

I’m leaning towards BOTW2 in the autumn Direct. They need to fully show it the next time instead of another sneak peak and there’s just so much ground to cover in the summer Direct with all the big H2 ‘22 releases. I’d love to be wrong but my gut says we see the blowout when they’ve gotten more marketing for H2 ‘22 out of the way.
I was thinking this is possible. There’s a lot to reveal with BotW 2 and I also believe they have a good amount of stuff to reveal like Metroid Prime Remaster, DK/Mario game, show MP4 trailer, Mario Kart pass, new trailer for Xenoblade 3, Bayonetta 3, Mario + Rabbids.

I could see BotW 2 being saved for later so all these other announcements have their time.

I agree that the Zelda team is now past the teaser timeframe. I think in the June Direct they'll finally show off a longer, fuller look at Aonuma's new haircut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom