• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, just a simple question...

Imagine Nintendo announces this week, even today, a Partner Showcase. Shall we expect a non-partner Direct in the coming days or weeks? Specifically... shall the ST remain open 'till a full Direct, General or Mini, gets announced, or it may be today its last day of existence?

It's weird, but I would rather have a Direct with one mildly interesting game, than nothing.
To some people maybe getting a Direct and then not getting BotW2, like they lead themselves to believe will be in there, is disappointment.
I'd say not having any direct right now would be more disappointing.

But really, if there is none, we should just move on and play the games we have.
Not that I think this way, but if you're a "I only buy a Nintendo system for Nintendo games I can't get elsewhere" person, if the only exclusives you see are timed console exclusives like NMH3 or have a day 1 pc version like MHR Sunbreak then the direct truly is a "bust". It's very much the same issue Microsoft had for a few years at e3 where all of their hype announcements people went "that looks great...but I'll buy it on ps4, no reason for me to get an Xbox".

You don't have to expect disappointment.
The thing is; you only control one thing and that's how you think and feel about stuff. You're the one who controls you.
A company, a person, a presentation, a game, you control nothing about that.
Sure it's fun to anticipate and you might personally not have a problem with getting mildly disappointed but I've been in this game far too long to see people not lose their entire shit because their unrealistic expectations weren't met.
So I don't believe that it's a silly quote as there are genuinly people that have a lot of trouble distinguishing what they can and can't control and feeling genuinly bummed about that.
I usually see people who are very pessimistic and in the "as I expected, I can‘t have anything nice" mood.

I usually see people who are very pessimistic and in the "as I expected, I can‘t have anything nice" mood.

It's very much a psychological problem stemming from unmet needs during childhood but let's not dive into that here :)

Okay, just a simple question...

Imagine Nintendo announces this week, even today, a Partner Showcase. Shall we expect a non-partner Direct in the coming days or weeks? Specifically... shall the ST remain open 'till a full Direct, General or Mini, gets announced, or it may be today its last day of existence?
That will depend on how they announce a Partner Direct (if it actually is branded like that). In 2020 Nintendo was upfront about it being the first in a series:

Never believe in a general Direct in June if there is no E3. The pattern is broken. And it's alright, it's not the end of the world (just a little harder to predict what Nintendo will do next).

Not that I think this way, but if you're a "I only buy a Nintendo system for Nintendo games I can't get elsewhere" person, if the only exclusives you see are timed console exclusives like NMH3 or have a day 1 pc version like MHR Sunbreak then the direct truly is a "bust". It's very much the same issue Microsoft had for a few years at e3 where all of their hype announcements people went "that looks great...but I'll buy it on ps4, no reason for me to get an Xbox".
In the end Directs are just silly commercials, not every single one can catch everyone's attention.
I think it's fun to be in these threads and get excited for what could coming up and be united in appreciation for past Nintendo games.
It just feels like people weren't happy with any of the Direct style presentations this month and that is tiring.
There seems to be this huge expectation that Nintendo has to save not-E3 now.
People have become to invested in this and there has to be banger after banger and that just ins't possible, especially because peoples tastes differ so much.
If you really don't find anything to play on Switch right now, when it's out since 2017, maybe the console just isn't for you.
Some genres are very underrepresented and there's lots of late ports, but there is games.
I haven't even gotten to Monster Hunter Rise yet, but when I will I'll probably play it on PC, cause I just know more people there.

I am much more interested in the smaller games to be honest, so yes NMH3 and Cruis'n Blast made me super excited.
I think the best presentation this month Day of the Devs to be honest, cause it showed fun unique games.
I liked Dead Space, but I don't need 5 of them at once.
And if MP4 and BotW2 aren't ready, then that's sad, but so be it, I already have more games than I will ever be able to finish, never finsihed FE Three Houes and have like all of Xenoblade still in front of me, so I don't really have much of a reason to be down.

Anyway, reset the clock in 2 and a half hours.

Never believe in a general Direct in June if there is no E3. The pattern is broken. And it's alright, it's not the end of the world (just a little harder to predict what Nintendo will do next).
It does throw everyone off. Never seen this situation with Nintendo or many of these companies. 2020 was one thing, but this is different. Nintendo’s been using E3 for decades.

Rumblings. Remember last years Switch OLED, the PS5 in the year before, and also the Xbox?

Leaks are prevented very good if its the will of the company, just look at AMD, Nvidia etc.
“Rumblings would not?” Still not following what you’re saying. The three consoles you mentioned all had rumblings before they were revealed.

After last year, when some people (including a journalist) said to "lower my expectations" before the June Direct and it ended up being one of my favorites, i decided to expect whatever the fuck i want. No one else knows what makes one excited or not.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that things will often leak from Nintendo, but if there's something they really want to keep secret they absolutely will

Not sure if it was posted but Tom Henderson confirmed it is an Ubisoft gameplay reveal (not Nintendo) 6pm CEST on the 29th for M+R. I know only a few people were holding out hope for maybe a treehouse

I just hope Nintendo does announce whatever this presentation is today because it's really hard to focus on work while constantly refreshing this forum. I have no self-control.

After last year, when some people (including a journalist) said to "lower my expectations" before the June Direct and it ended up being one of my favorites, i decided to expect whatever the fuck i want. No one else knows what makes one excited or not.
Which is bizarre, since we had "metroid 5" leaked on the eshop datamine before last years direct.

What if it's just a regular Mini but the only thing Nintendo brings is M+R2 and like, Mario Kart update? Would fall in line with it being seen as a Partner due to not having any other Nintendo 1st party games, and no one is going to leak Wave 2 news

I know it's a Partner, just fun to speculate you know?

Wasn't it 3pm in Europe when the tweets are supposed to happen?
Summer time always messes this up for me.
I though it was 2 and half hours, but I guess it's 4pm then?
Generals are announced at 11 pm JST and aired at 7 am JST
Minis and Partner Showcases are released at 11 pm JST (usually shadow dropped but if they are announced, it's completely random)
Game specific are random

I had missed the leak about Xeno Direct (the one that predicted the direct, the time of announcement and the new trailer being in the next direct this week)

Tbh, this kinda give me hope about the fact that this won’t be a partner showcase.
I expect a general or a mini at this point.

Tbh we have also to think that, differently from the past years, we have a lot of Nintendo games already dated or announcement for the end of this year.

Maybe who said that it was “mostly about third parties” meant that there would be mostly NEW third parties announcements and that makes sense.

So my bet are still on a General.

What if it's just a regular Mini but the only thing Nintendo brings is M+R2 and like, Mario Kart update? Would fall in line with it being seen as a Partner due to not having any other Nintendo 1st party games, and no one is going to leak Wave 2 news

I know it's a Partner, just fun to speculate you know?
it really shouldn't be a partner. you would think that the bean counters at nintendo would see the lowering views and backlash that partner directs we're bringing in and not bother with them again.

I wouldn’t be shocked if the rumoured Direct and the M&R thing are the same thing and people have been confusing it as 2 separate events when actually it’s one and the same.

If we go by the Mariokart Waves and that they want to release all courses by the end of 2023, they still have to release two waves this year. So I expect them either way to release at least a trailer before an eventual September Direct

I wouldn’t be shocked if the rumoured Direct and the M&R thing are the same thing and people have been confusing it as 2 separate events when actually it’s one and the same.
I would be shocked because you’re saying so many people are confused a Nintendo held event and a Ubisoft held presentation are the same thing. Everyone has different sources. 2 separate events from 2 different publishers makes complete sense.

Partner Showcases felt like a slap in the face back in 2020, and it’ll feel like that again if they go back to them now. Nintendo be like “we ain’t giving you shit from us, but here’s some scraps!”

it really shouldn't be a partner. you would think that the bean counters at nintendo would see the lowering views and backlash that partner directs we're bringing in and not bother with them again.
Right? At least makes no sense to use that branding. Just call it a Direct even if it’s not going to have a ton of first part stuff in it…

This has to be one of the wilder pre-announcement runs ever! We've gone from Full, to Mini, to Partner, now it could be any of them. Throw in the fact that it's the "E3" direct we could be "expecting", the possibilities are just all over the place. A good old fashioned build up to 2pm, 3pm today and then 2pm, 3pm tomorrow, could be anything at this stage haha. This is more like the old insanity than it's been in a long time. Love it.

I do think it will be a regular Mini. I'm not sure about a regular Direct, because the big difference is that they usually have on-screen presenters for those, but it feels to me like the reason they do that is because they have things they're proud of and they want to show off. As Nintendo executives, they wouldn't be "proud" of third-party announcements in the same way, and if it's just one or two first-party things, they have no reason to be there introducing each game or segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom