• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Metroid Prime Remastered |ST| Prime Prophecy Fulfilled

Oh, it's, like, my 7th or 8th. Maybe that colours my opinion, haha.
Believe me, it does lol. I first played this on the Wii U and wandered so much more on my first playthrough. It's only short when you know what you're doing (and as good as the game is at guiding the player, my need to use the shiny new power up at that one place I remember on the complete other side of the map from where I need to be totally destroyed that).
Zr24WU6.png

sldV9Gd.png

zzrfxoZ.png
I am too. Yes that's the one.
With the beam effects and water ripples restored I thought for sure they'd fix this too but... :cry:
This was an artistic change that stems back to the international GameCube release, not just the Wii versions. While the new one is far more logical, I'm a little torn on it. The suit is totally inconsistent with all other instances of Phazon corruption; it's basically only there to look cool, so may as well show it off in the acquisition cutscene. But I also appreciate keeping a game like this grounded by having Samus react confused (even if I kinda have to ignore Phazon conveniently being all upside, no downside when it comes for Samus - in this game, anyway).

Australian here, your mileage may vary: Beat the game and Nintendo sent me an email with a Metroid survey to complete.

No secret info or hints at future releases, but I was sure to let them know that I want the same treatment applied to 2 and 3.

Metroid Prime being the best looking Nintendo game again 21 years later was not on my bingo card but I am 110% here for it

FvgCiRa.jpg

Last edited:
Wow the metroids (the enemy not the game) work so much better in 3d.
In the 2d games they're usually in the final rooms when you're full powered up and they're pretty easy to kill with the ice beam super missile combo, and you can always see from where they're coming from.
In 3d instead they're something else, they're fast and can charge you while you're not looking, especially near the endgame when you get to fight tons of them. They're such an amazing enemy in prime.
you've not played Samus Returns/Metroid II, have you? :D
From the comparison I saw, the Omega Pirate falls on top of Samus, but instead of doing the "power pose" when she comes out of it (like in the GameCube version), she now looks at her suit in awe as she emerges from a crouched position.

The way they redid the "melting Phazon" effect of the Pirate too looks real nice.

I honestly prefer this more to the GameCube, and the animation used from the original does look slightly exaggerated and dated.

Honestly I like the new version better.
Confusion on what just happened makes more sense to me than "YEAH I'M THE BEST, CHECK OUT THIS SUPERCOOL NEW EDGY ARMOR I JUST GOT THAT I TOTALLY KNEW EXISTED!!"
yea I don't know what's happening, the new version is undoubtedly superior to the goofy ass "yaarrrr I am super man! LOL!" pose in the original?!?
Australian here, your mileage may vary: Beat the game and Nintendo sent me an email with a Metroid survey to complete.

No secret info or hints at future releases, but I was sure to let them know that I want the same treatment applied to 2 and 3.
there's of course no hints or secrets. you got the default nintendo survey you get for playing ANY new game fresh after release.

One thing this game doesn't get enough praise for is the map.
I love how easy it is to navigate with that 3D frame aesthetic and also with the bigger map transitioning to the small one once you leave the map screen.

you've not played Samus Returns/Metroid II, have you? :D
I did play and finish samus returns, they're great but they're completely different in the way they work.
I'm talking more about the classic jellyfish style metroid.

Wild!!! It worked on the first try for me, but man, if I was in your shoes, I would've been absolutely dumbfounded lol
Seriously. I knew they had to be shot down, but had convinced myself that there was some weapon upgrade I didn’t remember to knock them down. Then, right after my post, they just fell. That was like an hour of me backtracking all around back and forth to that spot trying again and doing another loop.

I was determined to figure it out without any help. 😅

Also, how many energy tanks can I access by the time I’m at
Sunken Frigate
? I feel like I should have more. Have 6.

I only have 60 missiles, which I feel is quite low.

Last edited:
One thing this game doesn't get enough praise for is the map.
I love how easy it is to navigate with that 3D frame aesthetic and also with the bigger map transitioning to the small one once you leave the map screen.
these games actually did get a lot of praise for the 3D map

Also, how many energy tanks can I access by the time I’m at
Sunken Frigate
? I feel like I should have more. Have 6.

I only have 60 missiles, which I feel is quite low.
there’s an easily accessible e-tank basically right inside the frigate, which put me up to 9.

for missiles, i’m just slightly ahead of where you are, and i have 85

there’s an easily accessible e-tank basically right inside the frigate, which put me up to 9.

for missiles, i’m just slightly ahead of where you are, and i have 85
Okay. I got 8. So I’m not too behind.

Trying to decide if now is the time to backtrack for missiles and stuff.

There’s no other chance before this leads right into the Mines right?

Metroid Prime being the best looking Nintendo game again 21 years later was not on my bingo card but I am 110% here for it

FvgCiRa.jpg

Using Phendrana Drifts should disqualify it from competition. It's simply unfair to every other competitor.

;D

From the comparison I saw, the Omega Pirate falls on top of Samus, but instead of doing the "power pose" when she comes out of it (like in the GameCube version), she now looks at her suit in awe as she emerges from a crouched position.

The way they redid the "melting Phazon" effect of the Pirate too looks real nice.

I honestly prefer this more to the GameCube, and the animation used from the original does look slightly exaggerated and dated.

Oh wow, I had no idea about the different animations. I much prefer the one in Remastered. The "epic pose" one is more like the comic book / action figure Samus MercurySteam loves. I dig the more natural reaction!

Oh wow, I had no idea about the different animations. I much prefer the one in Remastered. The "epic pose" one is more like the comic book / action figure Samus MercurySteam loves. I dig the more natural reaction!

Imo the perfect animation would've been a mix. I like the tremble Samus does in the GCN one, as it shows that her suit is being overwhelmed with Phazon power, and then swap to the Remasters checking of her new suit compared to the victory poses.

Imo the perfect animation would've been a mix. I like the tremble Samus does in the GCN one, as it shows that her suit is being overwhelmed with Phazon power, and then swap to the Remasters checking of her new suit compared to the victory poses.
Great idea! This would've been cool too.

the frigate leads to the mines, so if you want to go look for upgrades, now is the time I guess

The DF video does mention how some animations still remain sort of awkward (such as the Chozo statue bowling Samus), but I guess it's more forgivable given how it's something in-organic.

I do hope they also consider touching up some of the animation in Metroid Prime 2 (as well as the models). MP2 might seem straightforward, but it's easy to overlook some of its weaker elements (the Zero Suit Samus face).

Metroid Prime 3 does deserve an extensive overhaul at the very least when it comes to its character animations, especially in the human(oid) character department. Gandrayda still gives me nightmares... And that's not even counting the enemy readjusting needed to take into account the new dual stick control scheme.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm hoping they give Prime 2 & 3 the same amount of love if not more (voice acting for Luminoth/Galactic Federation logs on 2, basically all "cinematic" aspects of Prime 3, including the disturbingly uncanny valley looking humans/Gandreyda). I don't care if that means we end up getting Prime 4 first before 2 & 3!

This animation change was done way back for the trilogy release on Wii. There are some new animations in remastered but that isn't one of them.

I don't think the GCN trembling animation holds up given the newer fidelity. It looks kinda goofy and very "ealry 2000s" in terms of that sort of stiff, exaggerated key-framing.

If they do make her tremble, it better be motion captured to make it look less like she's snapping suddenly from one pose to the next. Or better yet, have her look at her hands/suit, and then do the "power stretch" indicating the feeling of acquiring a new ability.

Confusion on what just happened makes more sense to me than "YEAH I'M THE BEST, CHECK OUT THIS SUPERCOOL NEW EDGY ARMOR I JUST GOT THAT I TOTALLY KNEW EXISTED!!"
Oh damn that is better, yeah that’s totally fine. Actually I think what I had in my head was when she gets one of the suits the Wii version totally screwed up the cropping of the pan up the camera does

Quoted by: SiG
Oh damn that is better, yeah that’s totally fine. Actually I think what I had in my head was when she gets one of the suits the Wii version totally screwed up the cropping of the pan up the camera does
From what I understand, the Wii/Trilogy version fixes a few issues:
  • Samus' Varia Suit texture around the ridges that looked blocky and very obviously a texture got touched up a bit
  • Flaahgra boss fight music plays properly (probably inherited from European/Japanese GC releases)
  • Some redos to certain post-boss fight scenes (aforementioned Omega Pirate/Phazon Suit acquisition)

Stuff that was broken in the Wii/Trilogy:
  • No water ripple effects
  • No arm canon effect animations/overly simplified
  • Prime 3: A certain level got simplified in its design.
  • Prime 3: Admiral Dane no longer says "Damn!", instead he says "No!"

You can backtrack through the entire map, even after Phazon Mines. The point of no return should become fairly obvious, but it's when the entrance to the Impact Crater opens. Don't enter without heading back to your ship to save first.
The DF video does mention how some animations still remain sort of awkward (such as the Chozo statue bowling Samus), but I guess it's more forgivable given how it's something in-organic.

I do hope they also consider touching up some of the animation in Metroid Prime 2 (as well as the models). MP2 might seem straightforward, but it's easy to overlook some of its weaker elements (the Zero Suit Samus face).

Metroid Prime 3 does deserve an extensive overhaul at the very least when it comes to its character animations, especially in the human(oid) character department. Gandrayda still gives me nightmares... And that's not even counting the enemy readjusting needed to take into account the new dual stick control scheme.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm hoping they give Prime 2 & 3 the same amount of love if not more (voice acting for Luminoth/Galactic Federation logs on 2, basically all "cinematic" aspects of Prime 3, including the disturbingly uncanny valley looking humans/Gandreyda). I don't care if that means we end up getting Prime 4 first before 2 & 3!
It's wild, because prior to this remaster, I last played Metroid Prime in late 2021 (to get the Fami badge), and I distinctly remember thinking "Man, if this remaster ever actually comes out, they need to fix these stiff run and jump animations during the final boss." They ended up doing precisely that, and it's been the most well received animation update.

Prime 2's ZSS face needs updating. Even if the rumors are true about Prime 2 and 3's remasters ending up less ambitious than this one, I think we can safely count on them at least carrying the new Samus face over into those games. Also, Sanctuary Fortress is beautiful, but the 24p resolution background is hilarious. Shit looks like they blew up an image from a postage stamp of Chicago at night:

Luminoth_Vault_Chamber_mp2_Screenshot_02.png

(Btw: I don't think they'd do voice acting for the Luminoth. They communicate via sign language.)

As for Prime 3: I badly want to see a remastered SkyTown, Elysia. Please, Nintendo! Rundas, Ghor, and Gandrayda should also end up with some really nice looking models.
This animation change was done way back for the trilogy release on Wii. There are some new animations in remastered but that isn't one of them.
Interesting! Never knew about the change.

I honestly wish they'd just took their time with Prime 2 and Prime 3 given how Prime 2 was noted for having a crunch period, and many things that they wanted to do for Prime 3 ended up on the cutting room floor.

In fact, I really wish Metroid Prime 3 isn't just a Remaster, but a full-on Remake. It's clear they were attempting at an open world design, but just didn't have the technology.

I don't know if it's fair for people to jump from Prime 1 straight to Prime 4, but given how the Phazon arc seems to be over, there's really no need to explain the events of Prime 2 and 3 right away.

So I defeated metroid prime last night. and I have an immediate urge to replay on hard. Wish i could've got to play this when it originally was released

@Aurc , I did the survey and made sure to ask if they could get Infrared Visor man back in the recording booth for a day to record a few more lines to creepily whisper in my ear when using the visor.

That cutscene was really silly and out of place. Why would she strike a pose after getting the suit?
Because it's fun!

After a giant monster collapses and boils on top of her, Samus dramatically writhes in pain, and as she absorbs and overcomes the phazon she strikes an exciting pose as the player unlocks the final suit upgrade of the game.
vs
With almost zero response to the preceding events, Samus calmly stands up and goes "huh?" cutscene over.

Sometimes videogames can choose fun. She IS the best, the armor IS supercool! Indulge in the moment!
The original cutscene was so iconic that they literally made merch of it and both poses were referenced in promo material for multiple later games.

Even if they decided that the tone of the scene needed to change, perhaps it was a bit overdramatic and a little janky, they replaced it with....nothing. The newer scene is a flatline, no heartbeat whatsoever. There are all kinds of things you could do to tweak that scene without turning it into the grey mush that is the PAL/Remastered version. And considering they tweaked other animations in Remastered, it's a shame they left this plate of cold leftovers alone. One way or another, give Samus a pulse.

WvDkU6Lm.png

Even this at least has a heartbeat, some sort of response to the wild shit that just happened! I'd take it!

Last edited:
@Aurc , I did the survey and made sure to ask if they could get Infrared Visor man back in the recording booth for a day to record a few more lines to creepily whisper in my ear when using the visor.
One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five. One Two Three Four Five.

It's like the most hellish ASMR ever. Imagine Samus falling asleep to this every night. I'd rather lose my hearing than have to listen to this creeper on repeat.

Wuk Wuk Week Wuk Wow, Wuk Wuk Week Wuk Wow, Wuk Wuk Week Wuk Wow!

I feel weird that the visor actually doesn't bother me at all. It feels like it should, but it doesn't.

Wuk Wuk Week Wuk Wow, Wuk Wuk Week Wuk Wow, Wuk Wuk Week Wuk Wow!

I feel weird that the visor actually doesn't bother me at all. It feels like it should, but it doesn't.
I'm actually super amused by it, now that @manfromthedam turned it into a character. :ROFLMAO: Prior to this, I never thought much of the sound it makes, I just heard electronic noises. Now, I'm thinking maybe 1-2-3-4-5 visor guy should get a spot in Smash before Raven Beak.

From what I understand, the Wii/Trilogy version fixes a few issues:
  • Samus' Varia Suit texture around the ridges that looked blocky and very obviously a texture got touched up a bit
  • Flaahgra boss fight music plays properly (probably inherited from European/Japanese GC releases)
  • Some redos to certain post-boss fight scenes (aforementioned Omega Pirate/Phazon Suit acquisition)

Stuff that was broken in the Wii/Trilogy:
  • No water ripple effects
  • No arm canon effect animations/overly simplified
  • Prime 3: A certain level got simplified in its design.
  • Prime 3: Admiral Dane no longer says "Damn!", instead he says "No!"
I went and checked it out and it actually was this scene I was thinking of. In the Wii version, Samus has the new animation as mentioned, but the crop on the camera is borked so you can’t even quite make out everything. Her head is cut off at the end hahah

Quoted by: SiG
Damn, Ridley kicked my ass yesterday. Was going to try again but well Theatrhythm happened

I found Ridley to be far more demanding and difficult than the final boss this time around. Survived with, like, 3 Energy Tanks left. (Out of all of them) Charge attack doesn't mess around.

The final boss, though while being easier, is still intense as heck. Having to manage the visor changes and sweat about the possibility of running out of Power Bombs is some real tongue-between-teeth stuff.

I found Ridley to be far more demanding and difficult than the final boss this time around. Survived with, like, 3 Energy Tanks left. (Out of all of them) Charge attack doesn't mess around.

The final boss, though while being easier, is still intense as heck. Having to manage the visor changes and sweat about the possibility of running out of Power Bombs is some real tongue-between-teeth stuff.
It's funny how nervous I was to face the final boss even though I've beaten the original countless times. I ended up beating the final boss in one try without even breaking a sweat but I think it's a testament to the audio and visual designs that the fight still feels very intense and intimidating no matter how prepared you are.

I went and checked it out and it actually was this scene I was thinking of. In the Wii version, Samus has the new animation as mentioned, but the crop on the camera is borked so you can’t even quite make out everything. Her head is cut off at the end hahah

Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, it seemed they fixed a lot of the camera framing issues that came when having adopted the game to the then new 16:9 aspect ratio.
Because it's fun!

After a giant monster collapses and boils on top of her, Samus dramatically writhes in pain, and as she absorbs and overcomes the phazon she strikes an exciting pose as the player unlocks the final suit upgrade of the game.
vs
With almost zero response to the preceding events, Samus calmly stands up and goes "huh?" cutscene over.

Sometimes videogames can choose fun. She IS the best, the armor IS supercool! Indulge in the moment!
The original cutscene was so iconic that they literally made merch of it and both poses were referenced in promo material for multiple later games.

Even if they decided that the tone of the scene needed to change, perhaps it was a bit overdramatic and a little janky, they replaced it with....nothing. The newer scene is a flatline, no heartbeat whatsoever. There are all kinds of things you could do to tweak that scene without turning it into the grey mush that is the PAL/Remastered version. And considering they tweaked other animations in Remastered, it's a shame they left this plate of cold leftovers alone. One way or another, give Samus a pulse.

WvDkU6Lm.png

Even this at least has a heartbeat, some sort of response to the wild shit that just happened! I'd take it!
I'd say the response they gave her as a replacement was more in line with the whole "reserved observer"/stoic personality.

To me, her getting up and going from "What the hell?" to "What do we have here?" just from seeing herself transfigured by Phazon goo is remenicent of when she has all her powerups taken at the start of Dread. As a matter of fact, after staring she kind of assumes this ready for battle posture that's almost like saying "All right! Dunno what this does, but hopefully it's good."

I'm interested in seeing how they will remaster the face-offs with Dark Samus in Prime 2, although more of that stilted "janky" animation can be best scene in Prime 3 with Gandrayda when she does cartwheels and backflips. It's times like these where mo-cap in combination with careful tweening could make the animation look more natural and less...early 2000's human animation "stiffness".

Not even Wii, this is one of the things that was changed for the original international release and carried over to the US Trilogy release.

I think it's just jarring compared to her demeanor in the, well, rest of the game. It'd be less weird if she were playing into that more often, kinda like her animations in Returns and Dread; I'm mixed on some of those too, but at least they're consistent with each other. Here, it's just the one lol.

Finally finished metroid prime for the first time. 79% completion in 14.49
What a game, I can easily see how the game became a classic and synonymous to the series like super metroid. The lack of a real gimmick really makes it feel like the quintessential samus adventure.
I loved the visors, the switching of the beams and how they all find a way into the final boss (an amazing fight from start to finish).
I love the hint sound that you get when you're in a room with an upgrade, it makes exploration so much better.
I would have loved to have samus a little bit faster or at least have a late game power up that ups her speed to make the final exploration for upgrade and the artifacts hunt more enjoyable.
Especially near the end it can get a bit tiring since all the enemies respawn way too fast when you leave their room and they're just a nuisance since samus is basically invincible with her gargantuan health bars. Also a couple of times I've found myself without power bombs after a platforming sequence that required a power bomb usage at the end and that was not fun.
So yeah a couple of minor flaws but the game is truly amazing, the soundtrack is so good, the atmosphere is perfect and I love how intense the game can get (the laboratory in phendrana drift and of course the amazing phazon mines).
I'm so happy to have waited for the remaster, not only it looks gorgeous but the control improvements make the game so much better.
Easily a top 3 metroid game and a top 3 gamecube game (should I consider it a gamecube even If I played the remaster?)

Got the Phazon Suit, now onto the artefact collecting and getting all the items.

I think my issue with artefact hunting - as well as the similar hunts in the sequels - is how it grinds the pacing to a halt.

If you want 100% completion in items, chances are you'll be turning back on yourself. That's fair enough, because it's a choice the player makes. Having mandatory treasure hunts to unlock the final sequence is a drag.

It doesn't help that the hunt exacerbates some of the more niggling issues - mainly the map not showing which rooms have items, and the aggressive enemy respawning. There's only so many times you can run past Chozo Ghosts with their sodding theme blaring in your ears.

I hope Prime 4 continues to scale these back.

there's of course no hints or secrets. you got the default nintendo survey you get for playing ANY new game fresh after rerelease.
This isn't the standard survey - it's a much more detailed survey specifically about Metroid Prime Remastered and the Metroid series.
Nintendo sent me a fairly lengthy and detailed questionnaire about the game, it mentions Prime 4 a few times.
Yep, I've had the same thing and just returned it. Interestingly, the survey is using a limited sample size and so will close once they reach that.

Based on the questions I answered I'd say Nintendo are looking for:

• popular features of the Prime series to emphasise in Prime 4 advertising
  • what sort of overlap there is between the audience for 2D and 3D Metroid
  • how much the Metroid audience is growing/changing in the aftermath of Dread

Got the Phazon Suit, now onto the artefact collecting and getting all the items.

I think my issue with artefact hunting - as well as the similar hunts in the sequels - is how it grinds the pacing to a halt.

If you want 100% completion in items, chances are you'll be turning back on yourself. That's fair enough, because it's a choice the player makes. Having mandatory treasure hunts to unlock the final sequence is a drag.

It doesn't help that the hunt exacerbates some of the more niggling issues - mainly the map not showing which rooms have items, and the aggressive enemy respawning. There's only so many times you can run past Chozo Ghosts with their sodding theme blaring in your ears.

I hope Prime 4 continues to scale these back.
If Metroid Prime 2 Remastered exists, they really need to remove some of them. Way too tedious

In fact, I really wish Metroid Prime 3 isn't just a Remaster, but a full-on Remake. It's clear they were attempting at an open world design, but just didn't have the technology.
that's what Prime 4 is for
This isn't the standard survey - it's a much more detailed survey specifically about Metroid Prime Remastered and the Metroid series.

Yep, I've had the same thing and just returned it. Interestingly, the survey is using a limited sample size and so will close once they reach that.

Based on the questions I answered I'd say Nintendo are looking for:

• popular features of the Prime series to emphasise in Prime 4 advertising
  • what sort of overlap there is between the audience for 2D and 3D Metroid
  • how much the Metroid audience is growing/changing in the aftermath of Dread
oh? wild. they seem to be doing lots of marketing research then with this and the TotK trailer survey

Ah, makes way more sense now that I know the wii versions of the prime games did the difficulties differently. Played prime 1 on wii before playing remaster and was confused why I was having a harder time beating the game the second time around. Plus currently playing mp2 wii and was confused as to why It was pretty easy (since people say the game is supposed to be really hard). A bit of a shame to realize it though lol, I thought I was just really good...

I’m in the mines, close to the Power Bomb, and I just want to save the game!

I’m so paranoid about turning my game off, and something stupid happening to lose my progress.

Back
Top Bottom