• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Rumour Metroid Prime remaster/remake planned for 2022 (UPDATE: new rumor from Jeff Grubb, see threadmarks)

On the topic of sylux, he doesn't need to be a complex character or anything, a surface level reason why he hates the federation and samus is fine, I'm not looking for some grandiose plot when it comes to metroid. Flesh out Cylosis through some scans and we're good. I think it'd be cool if whatever Sylux ends up doing with the metroid leads to the federation initiating metroid 2 and the extermination of metroids.
Then Metroid Prime 5 can jump forward to a different point in time...

My take remains the same. No game of the trilogy handled characters and story the way i like it.

Prime... is barebones as fuck. If it released today as a brand new game it would not be as lauded. (Not talking about the hypothetical remaster, people understand that)

Echoes is almost just as barebones. Umos is nice but he is the same thing i mentioned earlier (about fans not knowing the difference between a character and a design). Echoes being in the shadow of the vastly more exciting 1.5 only makes it more boring

Corruption tried to address that, but it overdid it. A metroid game should never stop you mid gameplay like that (cinematics are ok) and there should not be as many npcs as there wers in there. Story may have been more complex but it was too large scale for my liking.

I dont blame retro ofc. They had no experience in doing those games, but for mp4 i hope that with the massive influx of people who worked in story heav*ier* games we might find that sweet balance between gameplay and a tight narrative.

Honestly? I want sylux to be more than a design. A few here said they dont necessarily need him to be and i respect that decision, but for me it would come as disappointing if there was no clear improvement in the narrative and characterization from the trilogy in that regard.

Last edited:
I fully expect Metroid Prime 4 to have a lot more cinematics. ^ I think there will be more story too. It won’t have all the characters of Prime 3, which is fine.

I fully expect Metroid Prime 4 to have a lot more cinematics. ^ I think there will be more story too. It won’t have all the characters of Prime 3, which is fine.
Im glad we share the same opinion : ). For me, mp4 shoulc have at most 2 or 3 characters, and preferably no npcs. Then really go nuts on those chsracters y know? Through cinematics, visual cues you'd encounter exploring, in logs, etc.

My take remains the same. No game of the trilogy handled characters and story the way i like it.

Prime... is barebones as fuck. If it released today as a brand new game it would not be as lauded. (Not talking about the hypothetical remaster, people understand that)

Echoes is almost just as barebones. Umos is nice but he is the same thing i mentioned earlier (about fans not knowing the difference between a character and a design). Echoes being in the shadow of the vastly more exciting 1.5 only makes it more boring

Corruption tried to address that, but it overdid it. A metroid game should never stop you mid gameplay like that (cinematics are ok) and there should not be as many npcs as there wers in there. Story may have been more complex but it was too large scale for my liking.

I dont blame retro ofc. They had no experience in doing those games, but for mp4 i hope that with the massive influx of people who worked in story heav*ier* games we might find that sweet balance between gameplay and a tight narrative.

Honestly? I want sylux to be more than a design. A few here said they dont necessarily need him to be and i respect that decision, but for me it would come as disappointing if there was no clear improvement in the narrative anf characterization in that regard.
I wouldn't call the prime games bare bones, they have a lot of elements fleshed out through lore scans. They are some of the most story rich games in Nintendo's catalog barring obvious stuff like xenoblade

I wouldn't call the prime games bare bones, they have a lot of elements fleshed out through lore scans. They are some of the most story rich games in Nintendo's catalog barring obvious stuff like xenoblade
I do agree that the lore scans are lovely and some of the finest writing on nintendo games (by far the finest in metroid games for sure). But i dont think they are enough. For all the talks of "environmental storytelling" the trilogy sure does a lot of describing.

I would like if they really went nuts on that (the environmental storytelling) so we wouldnt need as many logs explaining what we could see, and less cinematics overall. It doesnt mean i want logs out of course.

It’s not 2002. I don’t want a game from then. Metroid Prime was leading the industry in 2002. Now I want Metroid Prime 4 to do the same thing in 2022. Retro hired a writer and cinematics person. I expect a lot more in this game compared to its predecessors in those areas. I think the logs should be cut down and they can do it better.

I expect it to be in line with something like Wind Waker HD, which had a complete visual overhaul and new content, but was ostensibly the same game otherwise. Xenoblade DE is another good comparison.

Prime, bare bones? It was content-packed with unreal amounts of lore, quite a long game for a first-person "adventure", and loads of collecticles. I don't know how it could be bare bones. That being said, I am way, wayyyy too biased to be objective haha. It is my favorite game to a weird degree.

after 2002, datalogs and in-game encyclopedias peaked and then fell by the wayside. it's only content for the more deeply invested, which isn't the wider buying audience. to them, there's just not much in the way of actual storytelling. I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the reason for the decline from 1 to 2, which they tried to rectify in 3

Metroid Prime 4 will have to appeal to a broader audience. Logs aren’t good enough for in your face story telling and this is where I see Retro really turning it up.

Prime, bare bones? It was content-packed with unreal amounts of lore, quite a long game for a first-person "adventure", and loads of collecticles. I don't know how it could be bare bones. That being said, I am way, wayyyy too biased to be objective haha. It is my favorite game to a weird degree.
I think i explained very well on what i meant by barebones. I was refering to its story.

Forgot to reply to ilikefeet and darkclloud. Oh well.

I do agree. I think an interesting story can certainly help to keep players and i would not be surprised if it was one of the key reasons prime 2 failed, along with the dated tank gameplay and other stuff.

I agree, its an easy guess mp4 will be figuring on the side of the modt expensive nintendo games ever (although like other games we will never learn how much was spent) and like it was said before, a neat story will be a key point.

Last edited:
Metroid Prime 4 will have to appeal to a broader audience. Logs aren’t good enough for in your face story telling and this is where I see Retro really turning it up.

I mean, it certainly won't hurt to have a few more cinematics to help move the story along for the more critical story beats and central characters. And unlike others who are a bit more hard-nosed about such, I'm even down for giving Samus more speaking NPCs to interact with, in order to help further flesh out her world.

But by the same stroke of it not being 2002 anymore, it also means we're in a world where, thanks to Eldin Ring, Souls games are now mainstream. I think they could "get away" with still having the environment play a major role in telling the story, as a Metroid game should, while also still having scans to fill in the gaps otherwise.

Metroid has been, and should continue to be, in my opinion, about "discovering/figuring it out for yourself".

In 2015 he talked about bringing back Sylux and he was interested in exploring some time-travelling mechanics. Not sure why this interview is rarely brought up, but he seems very candid here.

Ahhhhh, I remember this~! Along with the various "Ocarina of Time" jokes that were made, since Echoes borrowed the Light/Dark World mechanic! Which is oddly fitting, considering Tanabe worked on both of those games.

On that same note, it also bought back to mind one thing I always wondered about: if ever there was an opportunity to find a way to have Prime truly "break away" from the mainline Metroid games and take up the opportunity to no longer be limited by being stuck in the "pre-Metroid 2" part of the timeline? I could think of few things better than to utilize time travel to introduce a "split timeline" aspect. Worked wonders for Zelda! And as long as the two sides of the franchise are largely going to continue disregarding each other beyond certain inescapable things...

Last edited:
I’m expecting something like Xenoblade DE based off of comments and that’s fine. IE revamped visuals, same gameplay and content. If they add extra modes or a mini adventure in addition to it that would be welcome.

I don’t really want to talk to anyone in Metroid Prime 4. There can be cool cutscenes to introduce bosses, but I mostly want to be left alone on a cool alien planet with vicious monsters everywhere. Scanning things is cool. I think radio logs/conversations are an interesting possibility to explore if you want more story content. I’m most expecting the world structure (bigger and more open spaces) to be the big step forward for Metroid Prime 4.

Please no cinematic cutscenes for Metroid Prime 4. I don’t want any other characters except the villain and for god sake don’t let Samus says any single word

Retro has been hired many employees to create cinematic cutscenes and dialogs, and they described some cinematic moments with “gameplay first” in their website.

It's roughly the equivalent of the Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls "remakes"--same world geometry and gameplay but assets and lighting completely redone from scratch. Call that what you will.

It's roughly the equivalent of the Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls "remakes"--same world geometry and gameplay but assets and lighting completely redone from scratch. Call that what you will.
the world geometry in those games were radically different. the layouts might have been similar though

About the Sylux thing: People are forgetting he was also set-up as a villainous force in the special ending of Federation Force too, which takes place after Prime 3.

About the Sylux thing: People are forgetting he was also set-up as a villainous force in the special ending of Federation Force too, which takes place after Prime 3.
Someone brought it up earlier. That’s why I see him in this game. Tanabe has something in mind for him. He’s been in a few games including the latest Metroid Prime game like you said. I just want a redesign.

To everyone wanting less story and characters in MP4: You should be prepared for the Federation Force troopers getting shoehorned in some way. Tanabe is obsessed with the Galactic Federation and has slowly been adding elements to each game in order to flesh the organization out.

To everyone wanting less story and characters in MP4: You should be prepared for the Federation Force troopers getting shoehorned in some way. Tanabe is obsessed with the Galactic Federation and has slowly been adding elements to each game in order to flesh the organization out.
This is true. Though I think they won’t come into play until towards the end of the game.

Which, at least to me, is a good thing. In fact, my only complaint about the way Prime has rendered the Federation so far? It's all humans. The original game manuals and Zero Mission manga painted a picture of a much more "diverse" Federation population, so I hope Prime's falls in line, soon enough.

Unless showcasing the Federation as a totalitarian, xenophobic, human-run regime is the point...?

I don't think so, isolation was one of the points focused on with the 2017 E3 prime 4 data sheet

Which, at least to me, is a good thing. In fact, my only complaint about the way Prime has rendered the Federation so far? It's all humans. The original game manuals and Zero Mission manga painted a picture of a much more "diverse" Federation population, so I hope Prime's falls in line, soon enough.

Unless showcasing the Federation as a totalitarian, xenophobic, human-run regime is the point...?
Prime also dropped the ball on the Chozo. The first Prime saying the entire Chozo race was extinct turned out to be pretty detrimental to that game's lore and the Federation's portrayal in the Prime series.

I don't think so, isolation was one of the points focused on with the 2017 E3 prime 4 data sheet
They can do both. You can have isolation for the majority of the game and incorporate the federation towards the end. Or sprinkle them in here in there in between the isolation.

Prime also dropped the ball on the Chozo. The first Prime saying the entire Chozo race was extinct turned out to be pretty detrimental to that game's lore and the Federation's portrayal in the Prime series.

To my recollection, they only said the Civilization on Tallon IV, itself, went extinct. Not saying that every last Chozo died. Which isn't technically a lie, since other lore said the Chozo largely abandoned the world after the meteor's impact, and those that remained behind either died from the Phazon poison or went crazy (re: became Chozo Ghosts).

They can do both. You can have isolation for the majority of the game and incorporate the federation towards the end. Or sprinkle them in here in there in between the isolation.
My thought was more or less like Halo ODST where they're more like an ongoing side story that eventually cross paths with Samus on her mission. Basically like they do in Federation Force, but Samus is the main character this time.

To my recollection, they only said the Civilization on Tallon IV, itself, went extinct. Not saying that every last Chozo died. Which isn't technically a lie, since other lore said the Chozo largely abandoned the world after the meteor's impact, and those that remained behind either died from the Phazon poison or went crazy (re: became Chozo Ghosts).
Sorry for the double post.

I believe one of the lores heavily implied that the Chozo had all died out and Samus was their "last hope."

Here's a list of the Chozo Lore in Prime.

Prime never said the chozo race was extinct (although this was the general idea prior to the metroid manga), just the ones on Tallon IV
Sorry for the double post.

I believe one of the lores heavily implied that the Chozo had all died out and Samus was their "last hope."

Here's a list of the Chozo Lore in Prime.

Yeah this is specifically on Tallon IV

Remaster. The original Prime still plays great, no need to do it all again from scratch.

On the topic of story which the thread has gotten to somehow, the story in Metroid is not very important. Prime handled it right, putting the majority of it in the background for people to scan and find. Lore being inconsistent or off just isn't a major problem to me in a series that has never had a particularly interesting story in the first place. When it comes to Metroid, all I need is to explore a hostile planet alone.

Prime never said the chozo race was extinct (although this was the general idea prior to the metroid manga), just the ones on Tallon IV

Yeah this is specifically on Tallon IV
I would say that it's more of an issue with parts of the original North American version being reconned. I didn't even know the PAL and Trilogy releases were different.

And you know that how?
This is the source of the story of how the Metroid Prime remake/remaster came to be. You can continue reading that thread for more details and context.

The relevant quote:
It was designed from the beginning as a full asset remake of the original Metroid Prime Trilogy. They didn't want them making any changes to the design. They just wanted a 1:1 remake of the original games with new art built to modern standards. Down to them even reusing the original collision meshes and just replacing the art.

I want to believe but I’ve been burned before, still gutted rumours have turned from the whole trilogy to just the single game.

I thought Grubb cut his hair for a second and that scared me more than the wait for a Direct announcement

• MP1 remaster likely November this year
  • MP2 and 3 coming after

For those that didn't watch it.

Edit: He stated that MP1 was getting a bigger remaster treatment than 2/3. Not exactly sure what that would mean.

Also speculated about gyro aiming, dual analog, etc. being added to MP1 and giving us a glimpse of what to expect with MP4 from a control perspective.

I trust this man, and this makes sense. Looking forward to it.

So MP1 this holiday, MP2 and 3 next year, then MP4 in 2024. Makes sense

Back
Top Bottom