• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Rumour Metroid Prime remaster/remake planned for 2022 (UPDATE: new rumor from Jeff Grubb, see threadmarks)

The present day storyline, I'd hope, would be something more akin to certain Samurai Jack episodes: exciting action, solitude, and minimal dialogue.
Funny you mention that: Genndy Tartakovsky has consistently been the first answer to pop into my head for a while now when I think "who should make an animated Metroid show"

Primal Season 2 tomorrow let's goooooo

The immensely talented Dave Rapoza strikes again.

I own a print of his Super Metroid piece. It's so good.

I'm very jealous!

Can't wait until the girlfriend and I can get a place together. I've made a Metroid fan of her already, so I know she'll let me frame tasteful prints of video game things without patronization lol

I'm very jealous!

Can't wait until the girlfriend and I can get a place together. I've made a Metroid fan of her already, so I know she'll let me frame tasteful prints of video game things without patronization lol
That's great! It's awesome to be able to share our passions with loved ones! There are some really dope Metroid prints on INPRNT, uploaded and sold directly by the artists, so I went ahead and ordered these, awhile ago. They are, in my opinion, the most exceptional Metroid pieces available there:

Super Metroid by Dave Rapoza
Metroid Fusion VHS by Aaron Schmit
Fusion Suit by Marc P.I.
Metroid Dread by yagaminoue

That's great! It's awesome to be able to share our passions with loved ones! There are some really dope Metroid prints on INPRNT, uploaded and sold directly by the artists, so I went ahead and ordered these, awhile ago. They are, in my opinion, the most exceptional Metroid pieces available there:

Super Metroid by Dave Rapoza
Metroid Fusion VHS by Aaron Schmit
Fusion Suit by Marc P.I.
Metroid Dread by yagaminoue
That Dread print was my phone wallpaper for a bit! It's a different Dread one now though.

Think of those 4 that might be my favorite of the bunch.

Hello! First time user here. It's great to finally be a member of the community.

I've been thinking about this game a lot and it is my favorite game ever after all. I know It's not even official yet lol but what if they brought back some of the things they never had time to finish in the original release? Like Kraid. Wasn't he in at one point or another? The lava area didn't seem to have a boss either 🤔

Hello! First time user here. It's great to finally be a member of the community.

I've been thinking about this game a lot and it is my favorite game ever after all. I know It's not even official yet lol but what if they brought back some of the things they never had time to finish in the original release? Like Kraid. Wasn't he in at one point or another? The lava area didn't seem to have a boss either 🤔
It would require a lot of work to add major new gameplay additions in a game like prime so I doubt it's going to happen.

Also welcome

Welcome! Glad to have you.

I'd love it if they somehow managed to work Kraid in, but I'm expecting it to be strictly QoL and visual improvements, to be honest. Would love to be wrong, though. Kraid in Prime, much like Crocomire in Zero Mission, is one of those "Damn, that'd have been really cool!" moments you hear about, in regards to scrapped ideas / content.

As for Magmoor Caverns lacking a boss, the area is definitely treated more as a long (somewhat annoying) corridor to be used to get from place to place, so I suppose its lack of a boss fight makes some sense.

It would require a lot of work to add major new gameplay additions in a game like prime so I doubt it's going to happen.

Also welcome
I wouldn’t rule it out entirely. If they’re not just going to wrap the GameCube version in an emulator, I’d expect there will be SOME changes/tweaks. Maybe new content too? I’m not holding my breath for a full restoration of the cut stuff, but it would certainly help explain why they want to re-release Prime 1 on its own.

I wouldn’t rule it out entirely. If they’re not just going to wrap the GameCube version in an emulator, I’d expect there will be SOME changes/tweaks. Maybe new content too? I’m not holding my breath for a full restoration of the cut stuff, but it would certainly help explain why they want to re-release Prime 1 on its own.
I would love for there to be more content this time around. It would make my absolutely abysmal year somewhat better I know that. Playing my favorite game would help. Based Nintendo.

Welcome!

If I recall correctly, Thardus was actually supposed to be the boss of Magmoor, and Sheegoth Prime would have been in Phendrana. There was also supposed to be a much expanded impact crater and a Mother Brain bossfight. And of course, Kraid in the Phazon Mines.

Rumors mostly are saying this is going to be mostly just a visual remake. As much as I would love some of the cut content being reincorpirated into Prime, I really would prefer all that design work to go to Prime 4. We'll see though, hopefully soon!

I'm not in the habit of checking the NSO SNES app, so this is almost certainly old news, but I saw a version of Super Metroid marked "Special", and it piqued my curiosity. Ended up basically being a free 100% completion! It starts you off with everything, just before Tourian. Was a nice little 10-15 minute distraction.

Finding a way to incorporate bonus content based on Prime 1.5 would be amazing... and also 99% not happening. Bowser's Fury/Future Connected style extra content should be part and parcel of Nintendo's full priced re-releases when it can be incorporated in a way that makes sense.

I'm not in the habit of checking the NSO SNES app, so this is almost certainly old news, but I saw a version of Super Metroid marked "Special", and it piqued my curiosity. Ended up basically being a free 100% completion! It starts you off with everything, just before Tourian. Was a nice little 10-15 minute distraction.
we love NSO

It's also like a free save state for practicing 100% speedrun endgame lol

Welcome!

If I recall correctly, Thardus was actually supposed to be the boss of Magmoor, and Sheegoth Prime would have been in Phendrana. There was also supposed to be a much expanded impact crater and a Mother Brain bossfight. And of course, Kraid in the Phazon Mines.

Rumors mostly are saying this is going to be mostly just a visual remake. As much as I would love some of the cut content being reincorpirated into Prime, I really would prefer all that design work to go to Prime 4. We'll see though, hopefully soon!
Fascinating!

Who knows, perhaps since retro seems to have been farting around and cooking BBQ for all these years lol maybe they got a hair up their ass and dropped the ice and lava monsters back in where they were originally intended.

So what happened to this, delayed to 2023 or could it still come this year?
I just wanted to ask this too.

Grubb was very sure even after the WW/TP misunderstanding
We basically know as much as the two of you do. I wouldn't say "delayed", since we had no real idea whether it was coming in 2022 to begin with, but yeah, there's been no concrete info indicating that it's coming out this year. I think we're past the point where it's reasonable to expect it to release this year, unfortunately. We'll just have to hope for 2023, like we hoped for 2019, and 2020, and 2021, and 2022...

My guess is pushed to Drake launch window as a showpiece title like Demons Souls.

Just a guess, but the timing could work out for them if Drake is March-April.

To be frank, I'm at the point where I doubt the project was ever real. We're entering year 5 of rumors regarding this thing and they've already massively changed in details ("Nintendo already remastered the whole trilogy and are sitting on it" vs "Nintendo are in the process of remaking the trilogy and just finished the first game"). The only thing that stops me from going into full Team Fake mode is Emily saying she saw it personally, but even then who knows. It's not like a lot of insiders weren't tricked before (coughGrandPrixcough)

To be frank, I'm at the point where I doubt the project was ever real. We're entering year 5 of rumors regarding this thing and they've already massively changed in details ("Nintendo already remastered the whole trilogy and are sitting on it" vs "Nintendo are in the process of remaking the trilogy and just finished the first game"). The only thing that stops me from going into full Team Fake mode is Emily saying she saw it personally, but even then who knows. It's not like a lot of insiders weren't tricked before (coughGrandPrixcough)
Who is "they"? Insiders, real or not, aren't a singular blob of people. Emily who was one of the first people if not the first person to talk about a Prime 1 remake never claimed to have heard anything about a MP Trilogy before for instance.

Here we go with this again and bringing up Grand Prix. Emily saw it is good enough. Everyone is their own separate entity.

Even completely putting aside any and all insider information, I don't think the idea of a Metroid Prime remaster being released at some point prior to Prime 4 is all that dodgy, or hard to believe, but yeah, it's definitely quite apparent that this whole rumor cycle began years too early, unfortunately. Regardless, I've done my best to keep the flame of hope alive within myself, and I think it'll all be worth it, once we finally do see this thing.

When you discuss insiders please separate them. They are not a universe of people in the same umbrella. It’s really annoying when you see people want to lump them all together.

What someone like Nate might’ve heard many years ago isn’t the same as what Emily heard a year or two ago. All these insiders are not the same. Their info may come at different periods of time. What they say may match or not. Some of them change and some stick to what they heard like Grubb.

trilogy.png
Prime Trilogy confirmed? 😙

Who is "they"? Insiders, real or not, aren't a singular blob of people. Emily who was one of the first people if not the first person to talk about a Prime 1 remake never claimed to have heard anything about a MP Trilogy before for instance.
"they" isn't referring to insiders, it's referring to the rumors themselves

It's not really the same rumor though. The trilogy rumors were based on whispers of what plans Nintendo might have, and yeah, people got a bit carried away with them. The Prime remaster rumor that has been around since last year has multiple sources corroborating concrete details, plus hiring calls and LinkedIn profiles which confirm the timing of when a game Retro is working on finished testing. It's definitely real, it's just a matter of how long Nintendo chooses to sit on it

My guess is that they don't want to announce a Prime remaster unless they have more to share on Prime 4, and that still needs more time

Last edited:
I don't expect much enhancement over the switch version for drake. if the game is already done (for the most part), there's not much they can go in to add other than improve the quality of what's already there (think higher texture resolutions, shadow map resolutions, etc)

This rumor reminds me of the Mother 3 rumors, that we heard for years and our hopes kept being fueled by Earthbound Beginnings and other little tidbits but it never came to fruition

Then we learned that it was an idea that really did float around Nintendo but it was shot down for reasons

I would imagine that since this is an HD remaster of an old game that NCL is more willing to sit on it to plug release gaps. There's nothing dated for March/April next year leaving a 3 month gap between Kirby RTDL and Zelda TotK, so that seems like a good time to plug another new release whether it be Prime HD or something else.

I don't expect much enhancement over the switch version for drake. if the game is already done (for the most part), there's not much they can go in to add other than improve the quality of what's already there (think higher texture resolutions, shadow map resolutions, etc)
Yeah, I think the idea of Prime launching with Drake was borne out of a sense that there weren't really any other options if Drake were to still make this year, but I don’t think it was ever the most likely option (and I say that as someone who hoped/believed for a while). Occam's Razor says Drake is most likely coming on May 12 with Zelda

Maybe the game is a full on remake. That would make better sense to hold it until the Drake release window.

Maybe the game is a full on remake. That would make better sense to hold it until the Drake release window.
the running rumor is that it's akin for Xenoblade 1 DE in that the under-the-hood stuff is the same while the assets are remade and relit. it's also important to ask if this was ever intended for Drake because so far, all we heard is that this is made for the switch and will be bound by the limitations of the system

the running rumor is that it's akin for Xenoblade 1 DE in that the under-the-hood stuff is the same while the assets are remade and relit. it's also important to ask if this was ever intended for Drake because so far, all we heard is that this is made for the switch and will be bound by the limitations of the system
That is assuming Drake is a wholly new generation instead of a Switch 1 power boost

That is assuming Drake is a wholly new generation instead of a Switch 1 power boost
we know what Drake is and it's a new generation for all intents and purposes. but I don't expect MP1 remake to have been made for that beyond a resolution boost. it's a switch game first, as far as we know

As much as I trust Emily I also think it’s reasonable to doubt this rumour. It’s entirely possible there’s been some kind of mix up or changed plans.
It’s one of the longest still unconfirmed rumours at this point, which is a little annoying tbh because I would have played Metroid Prime years ago if I wasn’t holding out for this thing haha. Hopefully we see it within in the next few months.

As much as I trust Emily I also think it’s reasonable to doubt this rumour. It’s entirely possible there’s been some kind of mix up or changed plans.
It’s one of the longest still unconfirmed rumours at this point, which is a little annoying tbh because I would have played Metroid Prime years ago if I wasn’t holding out for this thing haha. Hopefully we see it within in the next few months.

Yeah, at this point I'm considering the possibility of the game being some tech demo for MP4 that was never intended to be released. The footage Emily saw could be from that.

But let's hope not, MP4 is still undated so it might still happen in that meantime.

Metroid Prime Remaster could easily be tied to Metroid Prime 4’s marketing and when Nintendo is ready to market MP4 we will see MPR.

Back
Top Bottom