• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Metroid Prime remaster/remake planned for 2022 (UPDATE: new rumor from Jeff Grubb, see threadmarks)

Hey, you could be onto something! I'm no impostor! Let's change the subject!

It's wild how much better this track from Dread sounds, in the Super Metroid style.

Honestly almost everything from Dread sounds better with a more defined set of instrumentation

I don't think it helped that the sound mix pushed the background music, well, really into the background.

I get wanting to instill an ambience and plenty of Metroid games have those more ambient tracks that fit well, but come on, half the time I play the game I expect to jam out

*SMH I said install instead of instill, my IT is showing

Honestly almost everything from Dread sounds better with a more defined set of instrumentation

I don't think it helped that the sound mix pushed the background music, well, really into the background.

I get wanting to install an ambience and plenty of Metroid games have those more ambient tracks that fit well, but come on, half the time I play the game I expect to jam out
Fusion has a masterful ambient soundtrack. Just so many solid, tense, space horror vibe tracks. They're all burned into my memory. Dread's attempt at ambience just doesn't compare.

Fusion has a masterful ambient soundtrack. Just so many solid, tense, space horror vibe tracks. They're all burned into my memory. Dread's attempt at ambience just doesn't compare.

The fact that I can recall and hum almost every track from Fusion to this day really tells me all I need to know in comparison, IMO. Crisis Mission and Last Instructions pop into my head almost daily and I wouldn't consider them "catchy", nor are they recurring series remixes which is the argument I see a lot of people try to make in defense of why Dread's OST is unpopular.

I've seen a lot of people call Fusion's OST forgettable and I'm just like... What

Dread's soundtrack is the weirdest thing to me.

Listening to the songs on YouTube, I do like them, some of them are great. But when actually playing the game, the music just kinda faded into the background and I can't remember even noticing they were playing, for some reason. I never had that feeling with any other game, music is a huge part of the experience to me.

Last edited:
It is kind of weird to think that Metroid as a series has gone so long without a stellar soundtrack, considering it was once so integral to the series. Prime 3 was the last truly good one, and that was arguably a step back from the prior games. It's taken a real nose dive since then. Dread is at least better than Samus Returns and Other M, but still disappointing. It's unfortunate because Dread is like inches from being an all time great otherwise.

Been largely unimpressed with Yamamoto's and Hamano's understudies actually. Not sure what the deal is.

I have a confession to make: I don't actually have any firsthand experience with the OG GameCube controls, as my first Nintendo home console was the Wii (Metroid-wise, I grew up endlessly replaying Fusion and Zero Mission), and it was there that I played through the Prime games. I found the pointer controls to be sublime. I've only ever seen videos of the original controls, and have heard them talked about by friends in a negative manner, so that's where my impression comes from. Having said that, it's entirely possible I'm being far too judgemental, and should try before I talk. It's just... man, the idea of having to stand still and hold a button to look up and down sounds kinda rough! I'm sure there's an adjustment period.
It’s just different, not bad.

If the game wasnt designed around it, then yeah I could see that issue. But Prime 1&2 aren’t really games where you need to think about fast and precise aiming.

Since you’ve played the Wii trilogy, you’ve probably noticed the differences between Prime 1/2 and 3 even with pointer controls. It’s just not “needed” for 1 & 2. They were really both First person Zelda with how the lock on targeting works. Like 3 will demand aiming at some parts, it’s integrated into the design. Just not the case with 1 & 2

I’m with you on pointer controls. They’re sublime, I’d love gyro too. But the original control scheme works for the games it was made for really well and I never really fought with it once I got used to it.

Dread's soundtrack is the weirdest thing to me.

Listening to the songs on YouTube, I do like them, some of them are great. But when actually playing the game, the music just kinda faded into the background and I can't remember even noticing they were playing, for some reason. I never had that feeling with any other game, music is a huge part of the experience to me.
Yeah I talk so much about how disappointed I was with Dread’s OST, that I often don’t bring up how poor the music mixing was either. It’s hard to even notice at all. The SFX are great, but they’re way too pronounced compared to the OST.

Like I’m sure more pronounced music would’ve at least helped some of the better tracks in the game.

Protip: use the dark beam charge on dark pirate commandos and a single missile after brings them down

Screw attack is also a very underrated offense tool in Prime 2, it shreds apart many regular enemies

Hypermode is so broken in Prime 3 that you don't need to use anything else unless you're forced to

I did not know about the bolded. I'm not one to really look up strategies online. That's super interesting that the Dark Beam is strong against a dark creature.

Agreed. Fusion's soundtrack is burned in my mind. It's not as catchy as many of the other games in the series, but it absolutely nails what it's going for. I feel similarly about OG Metroid II, but I'm probably in the minority there.

Last edited:
I love the tank controls 🥺 (But I recognize I'm very much a minority lmao) I think dual analog would be ideal for me on Switch. Personally didn't click with the pointer controls at all - they were tolerable for Prime 3 but frustrated me when I went back to play Prime 1/2 with them.

My heart says yes Twitter drop give it to me now but my brain says what the fuck Nintendo it's METROID PRIME

I was a huge fan of the IR pointer controls in Prime 3. Everything in that game was designed with them in mind, from combat to puzzles to investigating your environment. I think it has by far the best pure gameplay in the trilogy. The only good thing about having them for 1 and 2 was it is much easier to look at the beautiful worlds Retro crafted. But from a gameplay perspective I kind of find it annoying. 1 and 2 were very much built with those gamecube controls in mind.

Good points made! Yeah, at the very least, I think it's safe to expect the combat to receive an overhaul for the better, even if we're navigating the world at a similar pace to the first three games. This is probably an off the wall idea, but I'm wondering if there's any possibility for some kind of cool beam sword emanating from her arm cannon, as a close range option. I'm expecting new suits, new weapons, new tools to play around with.

Regarding Samus as a slow moving tank, versus an agile superhero, of sorts, I'd say Super was sort of the turning point. First appearance of the Wall Jump and Speed Booster / Shinespark, which would go on to become staples, in subsequent games. I'm not skilled enough to do it, but the high level movement that speed runners employ in Super is pretty amazing to witness. I do believe the depiction / notion of Samus as a clunky tank is a somewhat dated one, at this point.

Remember, if you wanna go fast, you can boost ball all over the place. I hope we get a new and improved version of it for Prime 4. It feels like a staple powerup for the Prime series.

It’s just different, not bad.

If the game wasnt designed around it, then yeah I could see that issue. But Prime 1&2 aren’t really games where you need to think about fast and precise aiming.

Since you’ve played the Wii trilogy, you’ve probably noticed the differences between Prime 1/2 and 3 even with pointer controls. It’s just not “needed” for 1 & 2. They were really both First person Zelda with how the lock on targeting works. Like 3 will demand aiming at some parts, it’s integrated into the design. Just not the case with 1 & 2

I’m with you on pointer controls. They’re sublime, I’d love gyro too. But the original control scheme works for the games it was made for really well and I never really fought with it once I got used to it.

I am very curious to see how they'll handle the controls for Corruption, if it is indeed coming at some point. Nearly everything in that game is designed around those precision IR pointer controls (Skyward Sword this is not). I don't think dual analogue + gyro even comes close to cutting it, and pointing at stuff with the Joycons is not great. I feel like major portions of the game would need to be redesigned to make it all work.

I was a huge fan of the IR pointer controls in Prime 3. Everything in that game was designed with them in mind, from combat to puzzles to investigating your environment. I think it has by far the best pure gameplay in the trilogy. The only good thing about having them for 1 and 2 was it is much easier to look at the beautiful worlds Retro crafted. But from a gameplay perspective I kind of find it annoying. 1 and 2 were very much built with those gamecube controls in mind.

Remember, if you wanna go fast, you can boost ball all over the place. I hope we get a new and improved version of it for Prime 4. It feels like a staple powerup for the Prime series.

I am very curious to see how they'll handle the controls for Corruption, if it is indeed coming at some point. Nearly everything in that game is designed around those precision IR pointer controls (Skyward Sword this is not). I don't think dual analogue + gyro even comes close to cutting it, and pointing at stuff with the Joycons is not great. I feel like major portions of the game would need to be redesigned to make it all work.
This may sound weird but I don’t really want Dual Analog. I don’t feel a super strong way about it in general, I guess it’s just wanting prime to remain “unique” and the fact that the pointer controls were way way better AND the fact that barring Prime 3 the games weren’t designed around precision aiming at all.

Like I’m totally fine if they return back to Prime 1/2 style and Prime 3’s aiming focus goes down as part of the Wii’s gimmick. I don’t view it as a design flaw in any sense, like I’m someone who totally buys into the “first person ADVENTURE” clarifier lol.

Edit: Just realized I went way off topic from your post but yeah, I agree about Prime 3 being weird to port over and to be honest, I’m not really betting on 2 & 3 following as much as others are. At least not in the near, pre-Prime 4, future.

There was never an instance I preferred the original controls over the pointer aiming. Being able to lock on, but aim independently opens up way more combat options. Like, you can lead shots on quick enemies that you would normally miss. It adds depth without really changing anything. If you're locked on, it doesn't take much effort just to keep the cursor centered and it plays pretty much exactly like the original.

I won't mind if they don't use completely modern shooter controls, in fact It'd like something a little different. But I also do not want to return to the clunky tank like aiming of the first game.

Last edited:
pointing at stuff with the Joycons is not great

I felt that the joycon motion-based pointing implementation in The World Ends With You was solid.

I can say that I wouldn’t [re]buy any of the Metroid Prime games if I had to use FPS-style dual analog controls (I’d be okay with GCN controls for the Prime 1&2, but I much prefer the Wii motion controls).

It is kind of weird to think that Metroid as a series has gone so long without a stellar soundtrack, considering it was once so integral to the series. Prime 3 was the last truly good one, and that was arguably a step back from the prior games. It's taken a real nose dive since then. Dread is at least better than Samus Returns and Other M, but still disappointing. It's unfortunate because Dread is like inches from being an all time great otherwise.

Been largely unimpressed with Yamamoto's and Hamano's understudies actually. Not sure what the deal is.
Makes sense since Prime 3 was actually the last Metroid game Kenji Yamamoto has ever composed for and ever since DK Tropical Freeze, he's only ever been Music Director or a supervisory role.

Makes sense since Prime 3 was actually the last Metroid game Kenji Yamamoto has ever composed for and ever since DK Tropical Freeze, he's only ever been Music Director or a supervisory role.
Yep that's correct as far as I'm aware. MP3 was the last Metroid game that Yamamoto and Minako Hamano composed for, and since Tropical Freeze they've both been in supervisory type roles.

I dont think anyone should be worried about Prime controls, unless you really love the wii remote. They will most likely give 3 control ways: Standard (dual stick, controls like a modern fps), Legacy (Like MP1 and 2) and one where you use the joy cons, like wii remote and nunchuck but not as good sadly. Gyro available in all options.

After finishing hard mode 100% you will be able to play with the ring from ring fit

Fr for mp4 they might go further and add some extras, such as "left handed" for example.

I felt that the joycon motion-based pointing implementation in The World Ends With You was solid.

I can say that I wouldn’t [re]buy any of the Metroid Prime games if I had to use FPS-style dual analog controls (I’d be okay with GCN controls for the Prime 1&2, but I much prefer the Wii motion controls).
Wii had not only motion controls, but optical pointer controls, that are more precise than motion/gyro controls. Sadly these are not replicable on any modern platform, but Switch motion/gyro controls are the next best thing.

Apparently Metroid Metal is playing their first show since 2018 in Baltimore and never before have I wished so badly that I had ever even been to the east coast

Oh wow. So wish I was in the area. MM is absolutely incredible, easily my favorite video game cover "band." It's a shame that he pretty much stopped doing new material, everything he did with Metroid music was so creative and technically excellent.

Apparently Metroid Metal is playing their first show since 2018 in Baltimore and never before have I wished so badly that I had ever even been to the east coast
East Coast best coast. Been following Metroid Metal since Grant started those metal arrangements and hosted the MP3s on the website.

Not really,they all had Music/Sound Director credits
KfobGm1.png

sTYROGf.png

TvigbPo.png

AHRowNF.png

vMQcn6x.png

There was never an instance I preferred the original controls over the pointer aiming. Being able to lock on, but aim independently opens up way more combat options. Like, you can lead shots on quick enemies that you would normally miss. It adds depth without really changing anything. If you're locked on, it doesn't take much effort just to keep the cursor centered and it plays pretty much exactly like the original.

I won't mind if they don't use completely modern shooter controls, in fact It'd like something a little different. But I also do not want to return to the clunky tank like aiming of the first game.
As much as I adore MP the controls of the GC version are, lightly put, garbage nowadays. The motion controls suited the game perfectly. So I'm hoping this release reworks the controls to function better.

do we know Nintendo's release schedule for Nov/Dec? in my head November seems like a good window for Prime Remake but i know thats wishful thinking

This is great news! I know they kinda got burnt out on it all, but the time off + the pandemic has probably given them some much needed downtime.

Would love to see them on a new tour!

I think it will be officially revealed at the end of the July or beginning of the August, I don't think that they will wait till September.
I'm hoping it makes July, cause I'm super eager to see it.
If it's the beginning of August, I'll gladly take it as a birthday present!!

I think it will be officially revealed at the end of the July or beginning of the August, I don't think that they will wait till September.
I keep thinking "they can't wait for September to reveal a 2022 retail game and market it for the holidays" but then I remember Super Mario 3D All-Stars was revealed September 3, released September 18, and sold 9 million copies in 6 months.

Metroid won't do those numbers but I guess for a remaster they don't need 6 months of marketing hype.

I feel like if it's announced on Twitter, there is almost no chance they are going to show Prime 4 at the same time. They'd probably just give us the whole, "We're still hard at work on Metroid Prime 4, but in the meantime, here's the definitive edition of the original Metroid Prime!"

wonder if there going to redo the music
I believe outside of a few tracks from The Wind Waker HD, Nintendo hasn't really redone GCN-era tracks on for remasters. Xenoblade is an exception, but Monolith Soft handles their own music.

Will be interesting to see if they break the trend here. I love Metroid Prime music, but I feel it could definitely be enhanced by richer sound; I feel the quality of the used instruments hasn't aged as well as the GCN Zeldas. I don't even need live instruments, more modern MIDI stuff will get it done.

Of course, I won't mind if they just stick with the original either.

I keep thinking "they can't wait for September to reveal a 2022 retail game and market it for the holidays" but then I remember Super Mario 3D All-Stars was revealed September 3, released September 18, and sold 9 million copies in 6 months.

Metroid won't do those numbers but I guess for a remaster they don't need 6 months of marketing hype.
Judging by what we've heard, it sounds like Metroid Prime will be significantly more of an update than Mario 3D All-Stars was, so I expect a longer gap between announcement and release.

I still think a September announcement is the safest bet though, as much as I desperately want the announcement ASAP.

Judging by what we've heard, it sounds like Metroid Prime will be significantly more of an update than Mario 3D All-Stars was, so I expect a longer gap between announcement and release.
Normally I would too. XenoblaDE was announced in September and released in May. Skyward Sword HD was announced in February and released in July. Pikmin 3 deluxe was announced in August for an October release.

On one hand 3D All-Stars seems like an outlier but on the other hand it shows they can announce and release a retail game in 2 weeks if they want to. Though I guess they never wanted to - the original plan was to announce all the Mario 35th stuff at E3 in June 2020, but Covid wrecked those plans.

Maybe Pikmin 3 is the closest timing comparison. They could drop a tweet about this in the next month and have it out in November. If it’s coming this year I don’t think they’ll wait longer than September. I mean, they probably want a couple months between announcement and release and don’t want to release in December unless they really need the time. Doubt they need the time.

A September Direct announcement for a late November launch seems most likely if this was to happen. Could even be an early 2023 release if they have nothing else to fill that Feb/Mar slot.

So what Nintendo actually is doing is waiting for each game's respective 20th anniversary to release it's corresponding remaster. This will be mixed in with spinoffs and mainline entries and we are going to be eating yearly Metroid for the rest of the decade.

Metroid Prime Remastered: 2022
Metroid Prime 4: 2023
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes Remastered: 2024
Metroid 6: 2025
Metroid Tomagotchi by Bandai Namco: 2026
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption Remastered: 2027
Metroid Prime 5: 2028
Metroid 7: 2029

So what Nintendo actually is doing is waiting for each game's respective 20th anniversary to release it's corresponding remaster. This will be mixed in with spinoffs and mainline entries and we are going to be eating yearly Metroid for the rest of the decade.

Metroid Prime Remastered: 2022
Metroid Prime 4: 2023
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes Remastered: 2024
Metroid 6: 2025
Metroid Tomagotchi by Bandai Namco: 2026
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption Remastered: 2027
Metroid Prime 5: 2028
Metroid 7: 2029
Prime 4 2023 🧐

Kevin Penkin, composer of anime titles such as Made in Abyss, Rising of the Shield Hero, and Star Wars Visions: The Village Bridge, cited Metroid Prime as the source of his passion for game music.

"I actually didn’t get a home console until the GameCube, so I have most of my memories drenched in the worlds of The Wind Waker and Metroid Prime. The genesis for my passion of game music came from the theme of the Phendrana Drifts in Metroid Prime — the combination of electronic synths and acoustic instruments was absolute bliss for me."

See Metroid Prime is a very important game for anime fans because it is one of the inspirations for one of the best anime composers today. Metroid Prime is an anime game!

If I had it my way, Prime 4 would be exclusive to the new hardware, but I know that's not really a reasonable expectation. They need all the sales they can get, especially considering it's Nichetroid.

Absolutely, I think there is a very good chance. Holiday 2023 will be 5 years since Retro restarted development. I think they are going to do full re-announce/unveil it in June next year and release it in the fall/winter, just like they did for Dread.
Early on the resources were split between finishing Prime 1 HD remaster and Prime 4, I think the game will not come until 2024 especially because Retro at the start wasn’t big enough to support such a big project and it has needed to be on a constant hiring spree to achieve the size needed.

If I had it my way, Prime 4 would be exclusive to the new hardware, but I know that's not really a reasonable expectation. They need all the sales they can get, especially considering it's Nichetroid.
Considering the game has been in development at first with Switch in mind don’t think making it Drake exclusive would change anything important, Switch can’t hold back the game when the game was made for it

Kevin Penkin, composer of anime titles such as Made in Abyss, Rising of the Shield Hero, and Star Wars Visions: The Village Bridge, cited Metroid Prime as the source of his passion for game music.

"I actually didn’t get a home console until the GameCube, so I have most of my memories drenched in the worlds of The Wind Waker and Metroid Prime. The genesis for my passion of game music came from the theme of the Phendrana Drifts in Metroid Prime — the combination of electronic synths and acoustic instruments was absolute bliss for me."

See Metroid Prime is a very important game for anime fans because it is one of the inspirations for one of the best anime composers today. Metroid Prime is an anime game!
That's awesome! Phendrana Drifts is a phenomenal track, and it's pretty neat that it (and Prime's OST as a whole) influenced him, to such an extent.

(And I guess I'm an anime fan, in a roundabout way. 🤫)
Considering the game has been in development at first with Switch in mind don’t think making it Drake exclusive would change anything important, Switch can’t hold back the game when the game was made for it
Yeah, you're probably right. I don't think it'll end up feeling like a "held back" experience, but I do want it to be the best it can be. Retro got the most out of the GC and Wii, so in the end, it's likely not worth worrying about, I suppose.

I understand this. My biggest worry would be Prime 4 coming out and not having a way to play it though. Trying to get the next Nintendo system is going to be a bloodbath.

Early on the resources were split between finishing Prime 1 HD remaster and Prime 4, I think the game will not come until 2024 especially because Retro at the start wasn’t big enough to support such a big project and it has needed to be on a constant hiring spree to achieve the size needed.

Supposedly Retro were already assisting BN on Prime 4, and that they actually took over the project a few months before the announcement. We don't really know anything for certain though. Technically we don't even know if the Prime 1 remaster is real. But assuming it is, it's not like all hands would have been needed on deck for Prime 4 at the very beginning when they're doing design documents, concept art, getting their tech in order, other preproduction stuff, etc. Also, the Prime remaster would only need some resources. If the game is actually just mostly a visual remake, then it's primarily artists that are needed. Retro worked on the Prime Trilogy in conjunction with DKCR, and worked on MK7 in conjunction with Tropical Freeze, so their development pipeline has been able to support a main project and a secondary project at the same time in the past. It's certainly possible it won't come out until 2024 or later. Obviously the pandemic slowed things down as well, and the state of Texas being a mess.

That doesn't make any sense. It's a GameCube game. Its design is clearly not constrained by the base Switch since it was developed with 2001 hardware in mind. Just crank up the resolution/framerate/effects on the new model.

Edit: I'm an idiot, didn't see the 4 and assumed you were talking about the remake since we're in the remake speculation thread 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom