• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Rumour Metroid Prime remaster/remake planned for 2022 (UPDATE: new rumor from Jeff Grubb, see threadmarks)

People seem very confident in a September direct. Just like an E3 & then summer Direct...

Look how that turned out.

I pray to Crom for an announcement tomorrow. I expect the announcement in September too for some reason.

I hope not,prime is a contemplative game, the point is being immersed in the world,exploring,solving puzzles,scanning things, not zapping around killing dozens of enemies with flash moves,it needs to be slower paced,it shouldnt even have dual analog controls, samus in the prime games is supposed to be a tank not a ninja
From my perspective, if there's a way to maintain that integral Prime DNA we all love, while also bringing in elements that make Samus such a joy to control in the 2D games, then that'd be the ideal outcome. A cohesive merging of both worlds would be great to see. I want the atmosphere and lore, but also the fast, fun, cool, exciting movement and combat. If Retro determines this really isn't possible, however, and that the two styles of gameplay are simply too opposed to each other to work in tandem, then yeah, obviously I'll take traditional Prime over a Doom Eternal sort of thing. I love the games for what they already are, I'm just curious as to whether there's room for more in the mix.

People seem very confident in a September direct. Just like an E3 & then summer Direct...

Look how that turned out.

I pray to Crom for an announcement tomorrow. I expect the announcement in September too for some reason.
If June taught us anything, it's that Nintendo patterns are not absolute.

At this point I think it would be more fun if Nintendo dropped the reveal out of the blue. The one thing in favour of that is that it's a re-release as opposed to a brand new Metroid title, but I still feel like a Direct reveal is likeliest.

If a September Direct does happen (and I think it does), I'd guess it comes the Wednesday or Thursday after Splatoon 3 releases. A launch 2 months after that would put Prime HD on November 11th, 2 weeks after Bayonetta 3 and 1 week before Pokemon.

Personally though I'd wondered if late September or early October is better; there's a fairly big window between Splatoon 3 in early September and the one-two of Mario + Rabbids and Bayonetta 3 in late October. But an announcement would need to come fairly soon for that, I think...

I definitely don't wanna use one stick for both movement, and aiming, in 2022 and beyond. Let's leave that in the past! The Prime Trilogy Wii controls were stellar, so let's get some gyro aim up in there.

I definitely don't wanna use one stick for both movement, and aiming, in 2022 and beyond. Let's leave that in the past! The Prime Trilogy Wii controls were stellar, so let's get some gyro aim up in there.
I think not allowing as an option the original controls for the remaster(s) would be a mistake though, no reason to not keep them for people who want to play the game as the original, but I will play it with double analog stick when they release. When it comes to Prime 4 though forcing double analog makes sense to not limit the game design to the OG controls

I think not allowing as an option the original controls for the remaster(s) would be a mistake though, no reason to not keep them for people who want to play the game as the original, but I will play it with double analog stick when they release. When it comes to Prime 4 though forcing double analog makes sense to not limit the game design to the OG controls
Totally agree. The original control scheme should be an option, whenever possible. Dual analog and gyro as additional options would be very much appreciated, though.

From my perspective, if there's a way to maintain that integral Prime DNA we all love, while also bringing in elements that make Samus such a joy to control in the 2D games, then that'd be the ideal outcome. A cohesive merging of both worlds would be great to see. I want the atmosphere and lore, but also the fast, fun, cool, exciting movement and combat. If Retro determines this really isn't possible, however, and that the two styles of gameplay are simply too opposed to each other to work in tandem, then yeah, obviously I'll take traditional Prime over a Doom Eternal sort of thing. I love the games for what they already are, I'm just curious as to whether there's room for more in the mix.
I don't think there's any way to marry Prime's treatment of Samus as an explorer and almost archivist of alien life / architecture with fast paced movement. I loved the shit out of Doom Eternal and Titanfall 2, but when I can move at that speed I simply can't stop to smell the roses. The game is basically telling me not to. It also requires so much more environmental work to create massive interesting spaces when the player avatar moves at high speed. Either there's less of those spaces, or they're less detailed. Prime had small spaces, but they were insanely detailed with environmental storytelling everywhere.

What Retro CAN do, however, is make combat itself faster paced, by giving Samus a bunch of evasive boosts and escapes and even counters, and make the enemies more agressive to account for it. Make Samus feel agile in combat and then the slower pace of exploration won't make her seem entirely like the plodding tank she does in the Prime series. Simply slowly strafing around slow enemies firing pac-pellets at them and maybe a missile whenever they expose a weak point isn't gonna cut it in Prime 4, imo.

Although thinking about it, in Metroid 1, 2 and Super Samus was pretty damn slow other than the speed booster. I never thought of her as some super agile hero until maybe Zero Mission. Prime is closer to what I always thought of Samus as than Dread is, imo.

no not you, the other guy

what's the holdup with dual sticks?
oh sorry. Misinterpreted your response.

I don't know either. I guess the hold up is being afraid of Metroid Prime turning into twitch shooter.

I love the tank controls 🥺 (But I recognize I'm very much a minority lmao) I think dual analog would be ideal for me on Switch. Personally didn't click with the pointer controls at all - they were tolerable for Prime 3 but frustrated me when I went back to play Prime 1/2 with them.

My heart says yes Twitter drop give it to me now but my brain says what the fuck Nintendo it's METROID PRIME

Prime 2 GC is even harder, they nerfed the difficulty for the Trilogy release. I've played the Prime series so many times at this point though that I can get through them all on Hard without dying most of the time. Though in Echoes I might go down to the Boost Ball Guardian a few times, and Prime 3 I might need a few tries for the final battle.

Hard is always my default for all of them. The enemies in Echoes are only spongy if you don't make good use of the beam ammo system. It's always quite easy to refill your ammo, I never understood why people are so tentative to use it. Even when you run out of ammo you aren't really out (you can still charge it for a regular shot). The Dark Beam in particular is extremely OP, able to freeze many of the light world enemies, and then you can explode them with a single missile. And of course the light beam just tears through the dark world enemies. Acquiring the beam ammo expansions as soon as your able is key.

And then for Corruption, a combination of freeze missles and then shattering enemies, and also heavy use of the ridiculously OP Hypermode make blazing through enemies a breeze even on the highest difficulty. That's actually my biggest gripe with Corruption... Too easy even on the hardest difficulty.
Protip: use the dark beam charge on dark pirate commandos and a single missile after brings them down

Screw attack is also a very underrated offense tool in Prime 2, it shreds apart many regular enemies

Hypermode is so broken in Prime 3 that you don't need to use anything else unless you're forced to

I hope not,prime is a contemplative game, the point is being immersed in the world,exploring,solving puzzles,scanning things, not zapping around killing dozens of enemies with flash moves,it needs to be slower paced,it shouldnt even have dual analog controls, samus in the prime games is supposed to be a tank not a ninja
Completely agreed, hate how people suggest Prime 4 should controls like doom (a game I also love). I do think dual analog is fine though

I don’t think the answer isn’t not having dual analog controls, but rather being considerate about what weapons and tools should and should not be twitch based. It would be silly to not have a control scheme that mirrors what 99% of FPS games do these days though, that plus the number 4 on the box would be the kiss of death for the series adopting a new audience

the 2D games can be the point of inspiration, some weapons require you to stop and aim, others can be fired (inaccurately) at will and better intertwined with movement

I don't think there's any way to marry Prime's treatment of Samus as an explorer and almost archivist of alien life / architecture with fast paced movement. I loved the shit out of Doom Eternal and Titanfall 2, but when I can move at that speed I simply can't stop to smell the roses. The game is basically telling me not to. It also requires so much more environmental work to create massive interesting spaces when the player avatar moves at high speed. Either there's less of those spaces, or they're less detailed. Prime had small spaces, but they were insanely detailed with environmental storytelling everywhere.

What Retro CAN do, however, is make combat itself faster paced, by giving Samus a bunch of evasive boosts and escapes and even counters, and make the enemies more agressive to account for it. Make Samus feel agile in combat and then the slower pace of exploration won't make her seem entirely like the plodding tank she does in the Prime series. Simply slowly strafing around slow enemies firing pac-pellets at them and maybe a missile whenever they expose a weak point isn't gonna cut it in Prime 4, imo.

Although thinking about it, in Metroid 1, 2 and Super Samus was pretty damn slow other than the speed booster. I never thought of her as some super agile hero until maybe Zero Mission. Prime is closer to what I always thought of Samus as than Dread is, imo.
Good points made! Yeah, at the very least, I think it's safe to expect the combat to receive an overhaul for the better, even if we're navigating the world at a similar pace to the first three games. This is probably an off the wall idea, but I'm wondering if there's any possibility for some kind of cool beam sword emanating from her arm cannon, as a close range option. I'm expecting new suits, new weapons, new tools to play around with.

Regarding Samus as a slow moving tank, versus an agile superhero, of sorts, I'd say Super was sort of the turning point. First appearance of the Wall Jump and Speed Booster / Shinespark, which would go on to become staples, in subsequent games. I'm not skilled enough to do it, but the high level movement that speed runners employ in Super is pretty amazing to witness. I do believe the depiction / notion of Samus as a clunky tank is a somewhat dated one, at this point.

I love the tank controls 🥺 (But I recognize I'm very much a minority lmao) I think dual analog would be ideal for me on Switch. Personally didn't click with the pointer controls at all - they were tolerable for Prime 3 but frustrated me when I went back to play Prime 1/2 with them.

My heart says yes Twitter drop give it to me now but my brain says what the fuck Nintendo it's METROID PRIME
I have a confession to make: I don't actually have any firsthand experience with the OG GameCube controls, as my first Nintendo home console was the Wii (Metroid-wise, I grew up endlessly replaying Fusion and Zero Mission), and it was there that I played through the Prime games. I found the pointer controls to be sublime. I've only ever seen videos of the original controls, and have heard them talked about by friends in a negative manner, so that's where my impression comes from. Having said that, it's entirely possible I'm being far too judgemental, and should try before I talk. It's just... man, the idea of having to stand still and hold a button to look up and down sounds kinda rough! I'm sure there's an adjustment period.

I have a confession to make: I don't actually have any firsthand experience with the OG GameCube controls, as my first Nintendo home console was the Wii (Metroid-wise, I grew up endlessly replaying Fusion and Zero Mission), and it was there that I played through the Prime games. I found the pointer controls to be sublime. I've only ever seen videos of the original controls, and have heard them talked about by friends in a negative manner, so that's where my impression comes from. Having said that, it's entirely possible I'm being far too judgemental, and should try before I talk. It's just... man, the idea of having to stand still and hold a button to look up and down sounds kinda rough! I'm sure there's an adjustment period.
Shaaaaame!

/s

It's all good haha. I personally felt that for a slower paced game like Prime they felt pretty natural. Could just be because it was my only option for the longest and I adapted. But I never felt limited by them - the robust lock on system developed for Prime 1 and 2 worked perfectly to mitigate any issues of precision.

The pointer controls were theoretically more precise but my muscle memory wasn't there for them, it never felt natural to me to have a completely different set of buttons in each hand, and I had lots of IR tracking issues with the Wii (though my setup was dogshit so that was probably user error lol)

Good points made! Yeah, at the very least, I think it's safe to expect the combat to receive an overhaul for the better, even if we're navigating the world at a similar pace to the first three games. This is probably an off the wall idea, but I'm wondering if there's any possibility for some kind of cool beam sword emanating from her arm cannon, as a close range option. I'm expecting new suits, new weapons, new tools to play around with.

Regarding Samus as a slow moving tank, versus an agile superhero, of sorts, I'd say Super was sort of the turning point. First appearance of the Wall Jump and Speed Booster / Shinespark, which would go on to become staples, in subsequent games. I'm not skilled enough to do it, but the high level movement that speed runners employ in Super is pretty amazing to witness. I do believe the depiction / notion of Samus as a clunky tank is a somewhat dated one, at this point.
I love, love, love the idea of some kind of melee weapon. The grapple beam in Prime 3 felt really good.

Combat in Prime games always felt more like Zelda than a real FPS. There's no reason they couldn't move more towards that and have an almost Souls-like combat flow when enemies are up-close. Strafe-dodging and locking on is already there. Countering, melee attacking etc seems like it would fit naturally and we've seen Samus do close range combat in this style in Other M, Samus Returns, Dread... it's in-character.

I love, love, love the idea of some kind of melee weapon. The grapple beam in Prime 3 felt really good.

Combat in Prime games always felt more like Zelda than a real FPS. There's no reason they couldn't move more towards that and have an almost Souls-like combat flow when enemies are up-close. Strafe-dodging and locking on is already there. Countering, melee attacking etc seems like it would fit naturally and we've seen Samus do close range combat in this style in Other M, Samus Returns, Dread... it's in-character.
Melee weapons are fine, but first and foremost...the answers are right there in front of her. She's got at least one free fist, an arm cannon that probably is very heavy, and hard boots. Perfect for punching, kicking and (curb)stomping Pirate scum! Add the Grapple Beam as another option, and you already have everything that Samus should stand to have CQC covered within the first hour or so of the game, in my opinion. Aeion-style "lightsabers" would just be the icing on the cake.

Melee weapons are fine, but first and foremost...the answers are right there in front of her. She's got at least one free fist, an arm cannon that probably is very heavy, and hard boots. Perfect for punching, kicking and (curb)stomping Pirate scum! Add the Grapple Beam as another option, and you already have everything that Samus should stand to have CQC covered within the first hour or so of the game, in my opinion. Aeion-style "lightsabers" would just be the icing on the cake.
I definitely prefer this idea of Samus using physics to her advantage in brutal melee combat over tacky lightsabers, if I'm honest.

If there had to be some kind of blade upgrade later, I think the best way they could include that is an Armored Core style wrist blade on her free hand. That'd be pretty sweet.

If this doesn't get revealed until the September Direct, I can't see it releasing any earlier than November. Maybe it'll be the December game?

I know the Mario collection only had a few-week turnaround, but it's some of Mario's greatest hits. It doesn't need nearly as much help selling as this would. Dread got an absolute downpour of promo online during the lead-up, and I'd reckon they'd do something similar here.

besides ports of the Prime game Nintendo should also port Other M.

pug-what.gif

Personally Prime fits the immersive sim model more than DOOM or Titanfall. I'd rather they pull from games like Prey, Dishonored, etc., tbh.
I still often dream than instead of giving Prime 4 to Bandai Namco, Nintendo contracted Arkane to make it. Could have been truly glorious.

besides ports of the Prime game Nintendo should also port Other M.
I actually wouldn't mind this, The game had some major issues in how it presented it's story, but as a whole, I enjoyed the game. I thought the gameplay was mostly fun, if not a bit simplistic. I even enjoyed what it wanted to do in the broad strokes of the story.

The game is definitely on the lower end of the series, but I don't hate it as much as most do.

Then again, I also don't hate Paper Mario: Sticker Star as much as most do either....so I'm just weird. :p

I need this game revealed SO BADLY. Please Ninty 🥺.

I think the announcement can still make July. Next week please!!!

I don't know when in November it would come tho.
Early November would be too close to Bayonetta 3 and mid November too close to Pokémon. Nintendo is weird so it can just be like the week before Pokémon, November 11th, like Fire Emblem Warriors was a week before Super Mario Odyssey.

💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 🐸

I've seen frog around, and noted the resemblance, but maybe neither of us has to be the alien impostor. Maybe we're more like froggy Old Bird and Gray Voice.
Sounds just like the kind of sus deflection I'd expect from the imposter... lol

Perhaps two similar but distant species? The Chozo and the Luminoth, siblings in the cradle of the stars?

Sounds just like the kind of sus deflection I'd expect from the imposter... lol

Perhaps two similar but distant species? The Chozo and the Luminoth, siblings in the cradle of the stars?
Hey, you could be onto something! I'm no impostor! Let's change the subject!

It's wild how much better this track from Dread sounds, in the Super Metroid style.

Back
Top Bottom