• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Rumour Metroid Prime remaster/remake planned for 2022 (UPDATE: new rumor from Jeff Grubb, see threadmarks)

Prime 4 having the mixing the fast pacing shooting of Doom + Eternal character movement and gameplay design + Prime structure would be a dream come true.
One of the reasons I liked the Doom Reboot games so much is because they reminded me of Metroid Prime, so bring it on.
Doom games already have exploration, so with that at the size of a Metroid game, appropriate Metroid weapons and the lock on from Prime would be a dream game to me.
I tdoesn't necessarly need to be as fast, but those games just were quality.

Plans change, people also get stuff wrong. Why is it unreasonable to be more cautious after how all of this has developed?
Imran Khan got the Trilogy claim wrong back in 2018.

Facts are Retro finished something last September. We have Emily Rogers, Nate, and Jeff Grubb all singing from the same song sheet when it comes to Prime HD. They're the most reliable sources of information we have when it comes to Nintendo's unannounced software.

Imran Khan got the Trilogy claim wrong back in 2018.

Facts are Retro finished something last September. We have Emily Rogers, Nate, and Jeff Grubb all singing from the same song sheet when it comes to Prime HD. They're the most reliable sources of information we have when it comes to Nintendo's unannounced software.
Indeed they have, there is the Belmont post linked earlier in this thread (though I don't think ERA ever verified that user?) who also suggested the same. Not saying they are wrong (in fact, they'll probably be vindicated). Past rumors just leave me with some skepticism.

Prime 2 & Prime 3 in Hypermode difficulty was a nightmare ^^. I never beat Prime 3 in Hypermode, always died because of Phazon corruption in the final boss form (no more ’health’ so it’s either you or it). An extremely stressful boss battle.

I enjoyed hard mode on the original prime release, because it gave enemies enough health for me to have fun knocking them around for a while, which was really fun with the then new and novel rag doll physics engine.

After prime 1 the hard mode difficulties just became bullet sponge tedious for me. I cleared them, but it was only once unlike prime 1 original release where it was my default for replays.

For what it's worth, stat buffing enemies is the most boring tedious worst way if increasing 'difficulty'. If they already can't hit me, what point is making them take longer to die going to serve beyond boring me.

I would much rather have to take on 5 more normal enemies at once than have a bullet sponge.

That's what I prefer, more enemies, new harder to deal with moves and tactics.

I enjoyed hard mode on the original prime release, because it gave enemies enough health for me to have fun knocking them around for a while, which was really fun with the then new and novel rag doll physics engine.

After prime 1 the hard mode difficulties just became bullet sponge tedious for me. I cleared them, but it was only once unlike prime 1 original release where it was my default for replays.

For what it's worth, stat buffing enemies is the most boring tedious worst way if increasing 'difficulty'. If they already can't hit me, what point is making them take longer to die going to serve beyond boring me.

I would much rather have to take on 5 more normal enemies at once than have a bullet sponge.

Yeah, the "Star Ocean" & "Tales of" ways of upgrading the ennemies depending on the difficulty can be quite tedious (except for the Tales of were most of the bosses get to use their Arte Mystic much more often).

Star Ocean 2: You're having problems winning against the final boss who can 9999 your entire team even with your full team at level 255 ? Please, bitch. You're only in "Normal". Finish the game and unlock the Galaxy mode where all the ennemies have ALL their stats multiplied twice. Oh and the final boss can be even harder if you do a side quest. And also the final boss of the hidden dungeon is much more powerful.

And the secret Iselia Queen is also even more powerful and inflict every single ailment just by touching your characters, including paralysis and stone. HAVE FUN !

Prime 2 & Prime 3 in Hypermode difficulty was a nightmare ^^. I never beat Prime 3 in Hypermode, always died because of Phazon corruption in the final boss form (no more ’health’ so it’s either you or it). An extremely stressful boss battle.

Prime 2 GC is even harder, they nerfed the difficulty for the Trilogy release. I've played the Prime series so many times at this point though that I can get through them all on Hard without dying most of the time. Though in Echoes I might go down to the Boost Ball Guardian a few times, and Prime 3 I might need a few tries for the final battle.

Hard is always my default for all of them. The enemies in Echoes are only spongy if you don't make good use of the beam ammo system. It's always quite easy to refill your ammo, I never understood why people are so tentative to use it. Even when you run out of ammo you aren't really out (you can still charge it for a regular shot). The Dark Beam in particular is extremely OP, able to freeze many of the light world enemies, and then you can explode them with a single missile. And of course the light beam just tears through the dark world enemies. Acquiring the beam ammo expansions as soon as your able is key.

And then for Corruption, a combination of freeze missles and then shattering enemies, and also heavy use of the ridiculously OP Hypermode make blazing through enemies a breeze even on the highest difficulty. That's actually my biggest gripe with Corruption... Too easy even on the hardest difficulty.

Prime 2 GC is even harder, they nerfed the difficulty for the Trilogy release. I've played the Prime series so many times at this point though that I can get through them all on Hard without dying most of the time. Though in Echoes I might go down to the Boost Ball Guardian a few times, and Prime 3 I might need a few tries for the final battle.

Hard is always my default for all of them. The enemies in Echoes are only spongy if you don't make good use of the beam ammo system. It's always quite easy to refill your ammo, I never understood why people are so tentative to use it. Even when you run out of ammo you aren't really out (you can still charge it for a regular shot). The Dark Beam in particular is extremely OP, able to freeze many of the light world enemies, and then you can explode them with a single missile. And of course the light beam just tears through the dark world enemies. Acquiring the beam ammo expansions as soon as your able is key.

And then for Corruption, a combination of freeze missles and then shattering enemies, and also heavy use of the ridiculously OP Hypermode make blazing through enemies a breeze even on the highest difficulty. That's actually my biggest gripe with Corruption... Too easy even on the hardest difficulty.

You just described the tedium. Being forced to do the same damn thing over and over and over and over and over, because doing anything else besides the key to the lock takes a boring eternity. This is exactly the same as it is in Normal mode. Ergo, it's a bad and pointless 'difficulty' jump.

It makes for poorly engaging combat.

But as I have stated elsewhere, this is no longer much of a concern for me as the primary person implementing this increasingly with each entry has left retro to form armature, where it is very pronounced in their releases since.

Last edited:
I did both the three OG games & the Trilogy in Normal & Hard modes. Hyermode from the Trilogy was another beast, to me. I think one of my most hated boss in Prime 2 Echoes was the Hydrosaur Alpha. In Hypermode, for whatever reason, I couldn't avoid most of his attacks. I died, SO. MANY. TIMES.

I actually LOVE the Emperor Ing final form theme battle. I love it so much I used it to inspire me for a fight in one of my book ^^;

I think the three Metroid Prime games really had a perfect soundtrack. There's not a single track that does not fits the mood or the atmosphere. I used not to really like Prime 2's soundtrack at first but now it's one of my favorite with Prime 3 (Title Theme, Gandrayda, Bryyo, Final boss part 1), and 1 (Main menu, Credits, Metroid Prime Boss Theme).

One of the thing I hope for Prime 4 is that they keep this tradition :
1: KICK F***** ASS TITLE / MENU THEME.
2: EXTENDED VERSION OF THE KICK F***** ASS TITLE / MENU THEME FOR THE CREDITS.

There. Com'on Yamamoto-san, you can do it.

You just described the tedium. Being forced to do the same damn thing over and over and over and over and over, because doing anything else besides the key to the lock takes a boring eternity. This is exactly the same as it is in Normal mode. Ergo, it's a bad and pointless 'difficulty' jump.

It makes for poorly engaging combat.

But as I have stated elsewhere, this is no longer much of a concern for me as the primary person implementing this increasingly with each entry has left retro to form armature, where it is very pronounced in their releases since.

I can respect that opinion even if I don't agree with it. I think the games (especially 2 and 3) have such a varied amount of enemy variety that it keeps things interesting. And the way I do it isn't the only way to do it, it's just the most efficient, for me after 10+ playthroughs.

Corruption in particular is never not fun to shoot stuff with the pointer controls, and all the enemies and puzzles designed around their use.

I'm surprised you got through prime 2 but not 3, 3 was a lot easier for me

I'm surprised you got through prime 2 but not 3, 3 was a lot easier for me
The final boss. You can't find any health / anti-phazon and at this point, in Hypermode difficluty, with Dark Samus & her clones being huge bullet sponges, I end up being completely corrupted and Game Over. Please, restart Phaaze.

Crosspost from the hardware thread:

I said [earlier in this thread] that I thought the Metroid Prime remake didn't make any sense as a late-gen game - that it's best to release remakes (remasters, whatever - a remaster with new geometry) early on to sell the new hardware, like Sony did with Demon's Souls. Easy way to churn out a flash-looking game for launch with a built-in hardcore audience and a strong reputation as a classic that maybe not enough people played.
Now I wonder if I wasn't onto something, and that it's a cross-gen game that's been polished up for the Pro?

Today on the Bombcast Jeff Grubb was talking about EPD making a DK game rumour and he cited ‘reliable leaker’ Zippo as a source…… I’m now less inclined to believe his Metroid comments
I laughed lol. Like NintendoLife and I think Eurogamer corroborated on it, like those are at least outlets.

Crosspost from the hardware thread:

I said [earlier in this thread] that I thought the Metroid Prime remake didn't make any sense as a late-gen game - that it's best to release remakes (remasters, whatever - a remaster with new geometry) early on to sell the new hardware, like Sony did with Demon's Souls. Easy way to churn out a flash-looking game for launch with a built-in hardcore audience and a strong reputation as a classic that maybe not enough people played.
Now I wonder if I wasn't onto something, and that it's a cross-gen game that's been polished up for the Pro?
I have another point of view of this really.

The fact that the same person that leaked the Splatoon 3 special OLED also talked about a more powerful revision announcement coming in September.
OLED was announced in July - after its launch title, Metroid Dread, was announced in June. Lite was announced in July - after its launch title, Link's Awakening, was dated in June.
Might be too much in my head, but Metroid Prime Remastered has yet to be announced. I think it makes sense for it to be the launch title(if not that, Pokémon S/V), so a November launch. I think they might be holding it for an announcement in September after Metroid Prime Remastered is announced either this month or August for a holiday launch.
I think it makes me more hopeful that it's going to be more of a Pro than a 2 or at the very least we're going for a very long cross gen period like Xbox is having. I mean, if the revision launched with, say, Metroid Prime 4, it would be a huge "swan song" feeling. If it was with Zelda BotW 2, would be more of a "okay, maybe we won't be receiving games for long", but with it being a remaster and announced very close to launch, I think Nintendo and Nintendo gamers can get really the best of both worlds of "revision" and "successor" as you can show games looking absolutely stunning, while also have those games looking good enough for those that can't afford making the jump - and of course, selling millions to the existing user base and selling a good amount of new hardware.

just to touch on the Doom talk, Doom 2016 is the best prime game we've had since the originals.

also i just wanna say im replaying Zero Mission and that game does not get enough credit. low key one of the best.

On Topic: at this point I'd be willing to wait for the switch2 to play a Prime remake, especially if it impacts performance at all.

just to touch on the Doom talk, Doom 2016 is the best prime game we've had since the originals.

also i just wanna say im replaying Zero Mission and that game does not get enough credit. low key one of the best.

On Topic: at this point I'd be willing to wait for the switch2 to play a Prime remake, especially if it impacts performance at all.
I own a copy of Doom 2016, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Being that Eternal was fantastic, I'm excited to eventually go through 2016.

Zero Mission is beloved, and one of the greatest remakes of all time. It, along with Fusion, went a long way in forming my taste in gaming, growing up.

I own a copy of Doom 2016, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Being that Eternal was fantastic, I'm excited to eventually go through 2016.

I loved Doom 2016 so much I bought it on switch and beat it a second time with motion controls. Easily one of my favs from last gen. That being said, Eternal is pretty different. I couldnt get past the first couple hours, but I'll go back to it someday. I think I just need to get over the learning curve.

It has to be a pretty strong possibility now. But I hope we get a Direct!

It's probably a November or early December release so they can save it for a fall Direct.

I still don't think it's this year. My prediction is release date and reveal will come with MP4 reveal trailer... in February 2023 Direct.

If it targets early November then I really wouldn't be surprised if it has a pretty short reveal --> release window. So it getting announced in the September Direct feels possible.

Having to wait until September to MAYBE finally see this thing is such a bummer.

given Kirby was yesterday, Bayo was today, obviously tomorrow they'll tweet-announce the Prime remake, right? RIGHT?!

Bayonetta had already been announced, and gotten a direct trailer, so it getting a new trailer and date via Twitter makes sense. MP hasn't been announced, so it's definitely not showing up until they have an actual direct.

Depends on the content. If it's just a remaster then it'll be announced at the September Direct. If it's a full remake with new content it can be announced as soon as tomorrow.

@Guaraná i moved your thread into this one, it's probably better to speculate about the announcement here.

edit: also merged this with the old rumor thread, and added a threadmark for the new rumor.

Last edited:
What I'm hoping for the most out of Prime 4, is for Samus to control exceptionally well, both in terms of her mobility, and combat prowess. I think Dread has the best controls and feel of any game in the series, so if Retro could somehow convey Samus's power and speed in the way MercurySteam did (but obviously in a manner more suited to the first-person adventures that the Prime games are), I'd be really stoked about that. The standard for first-person controls has shifted a bit since Corruption, with games like Titanfall 2, Doom Eternal, Halo Infinite, etc. reemphasizing the joy of deftly navigating a space using dashing, sliding, wall running, grapple hooking, and so on. Basically, things that just so happen to be perfectly suited to Samus's character. She's already capable of all of the above (praise Dread for taking the initiative to expand on her movement!), with the exception of wall running... and if they ever give her the ability to do that, I'll flip my lid, in the best way possible. It's just a matter of interpreting the game feel we love in the 2D games, but for the 3D / first-person space.
I hope not,prime is a contemplative game, the point is being immersed in the world,exploring,solving puzzles,scanning things, not zapping around killing dozens of enemies with flash moves,it needs to be slower paced,it shouldnt even have dual analog controls, samus in the prime games is supposed to be a tank not a ninja

I hope not,prime is a contemplative game, the point is being immersed in the world,exploring,solving puzzles,scanning things, not zapping around killing dozens of enemies with flash moves,it needs to be slower paced,it shouldnt even have dual analog controls, samus in the prime games is supposed to be a tank not a ninja
Sorry but not utilizing 2 sticks just because the gamecube didn't have any has nothing to do with immersion. You are hoping they don't add gyro either I guess...?

Almost gatekeeping. They should add a classic control toggle for fans of the Gamecube style of play. But not doing anything with a modern controller would hurt the series more then you think.

Zero Mission is beloved, and one of the greatest remakes of all time. It, along with Fusion, went a long way in forming my taste in gaming, growing up.

I loved Doom 2016 so much I bought it on switch and beat it a second time with motion controls. Easily one of my favs from last gen. That being said, Eternal is pretty different. I couldnt get past the first couple hours, but I'll go back to it someday. I think I just need to get over the learning curve.

I had that same Doom 2016 thrill where you end up in those levels that are so sprawling and maze-like and realize this is the void the Prime games left behind, but it kind of sucks the game becomes much more linear halfway through and then Eternal pretty much gave up on that idea. We were so close!

If it’s actually coming this year it’ll be announced in the last Direct of the year, say that’s September, game would launch November.

We won’t get WW/TP HD though and that makes me sad

Back
Top Bottom