• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Metroid Prime remaster/remake planned for 2022 (UPDATE: new rumor from Jeff Grubb, see threadmarks)

I'd go pretty extreme in my critique of Dread's OST (even going as far as calling it awful / terrible), but the game itself was really, really good, with easily the best gameplay in the series, imo.
Yeah, I'd largely agree with you. I think as its own thing it would be good, but as a Metroid OST the bar is just so high that it doesn't hold up. Hopefully we'll see those two new composers improve if they return, though!

Still better than Other M's random mishmash of ambient noise...
I'll be putting up a Metroid Community ST sometime within the next couple weeks, btw. We could definitely use a general space to hang out. I've been planning to get it taken care of for months... like, since Fami opened, essentially. I'm just a horrible procrastinator, with his own fair share of lethargic days. 😅 Forgive me.
That would be amazing! I apologize for not responding to your last big reply btw, that's actually kind of why I refrained. Felt a bit bad, like we were clogging up the thread too much with our own lengthy side dialogue haha. But with a general Metroid thread I'd have no qualms about it. Can't wait! 😄

I feel like I need to replay Dread sometime. I definitely liked it for sure, but I don't know if I'm as won over by it as I wanted to be.

One thing I was won over by though was the story. Man I wasn't expecting to love the story as much as I did but I thought the way it wrapped things up was perfect for that particular saga.

Dread is one of the best looking and smoothest playing 2D/2.5D sidescrollers I've ever played. It just feels good to control Samus and see her moving around in that game. People often clamor for pixel art revivals and while I am also a pixel fiend, I vastly prefer the direction they went with here.

I'd go pretty extreme in my critique of Dread's OST (even going as far as calling it awful / terrible), but the game itself was really, really good, with easily the best gameplay in the series, imo.
I’d go extreme too, but it’s out of love for the series.

If it was a series that had mid music normally it wouldn’t hurt as much, but there’s a very real downgrade to the point where I can’t picture in my head how Yamamoto was apparently the supervisor and went “yes this is good”

And unfortunately the music has tons of impact on the atmosphere, I’d probably rank Dread two spots higher (and thus my favorite 2D metroid) than I do in my series ranking if it’s OST was on par with others

I don't get the hate for Dread's soundtrack. It doesn't have too many tracks that stick out, but I think all of the music is pretty fitting for the environment. Artaria 2 is easily my favorite track.

I don't get the hate for Dread's soundtrack. It doesn't have too many tracks that stick out, but I think all of the music is pretty fitting for the environment. Artaria 2 is easily my favorite track.

This and Burenia were my favorite area tracks but would still be bottom tier in Prime and Super OSTs

The only original track I remember from Dread is Burenia, and while I liked it, I can immediately name others I like more. Even for the underwater aesthetic, I liked the Sector 4 music from fusion more:

The only original track I remember from Dread is Burenia, and while I liked it, I can immediately name others I like more. Even for the underwater aesthetic, I liked the Sector 4 music from fusion more:

I want to say that Fusion's deep water theme is my favorite of any Metroid game, but almost every deep water theme in every Metroid is so good that I feel bad saying it.

In fact, despite Burenia being probably the only theme I liked in Dread, I'd still say it's the weakest of all Metroid water themes.

I won't hide that I have some issues with Dread, but most of them are more of an aesthetic personal preference thing (didn't like the OST much, would have liked an HD pixel or hand drawn style over 2.5D, miss Samus' internal musings from Fusion)

As far as the actual game itself and from a more objective quality standpoint, the game is fantastic and most people I know that I've introduced it to haven't been able to put it down. It may have not been exactly what I wanted from an enthusiast standpoint but as a game that's grown the appeal of the series, it's exactly what the series needed.
Well said, and I'm right there with you, in having preferred they'd gone with a different visual style. The thing about 2.5D is that, although it does allow for some really awesome camera angles and dynamic boss counters, the textures and 3D assets themselves are still fairly low fidelity, and it's not like it's reasonable to expect the Switch to crank out that graphical "wow" factor, as far as 3D visuals go. Hand drawn is obviously more time consuming, but as it stands, I think Hollow Knight is the better looking Metroidvania, and that was a $15 indie. Maybe someday we'll be fortunate enough to see a hand drawn, or HD-2D Metroid game!
Yeah, I'd largely agree with you. I think as its own thing it would be good, but as a Metroid OST the bar is just so high that it doesn't hold up. Hopefully we'll see those two new composers improve if they return, though!

Still better than Other M's random mishmash of ambient noise...
Ah yeah, Soshi Abe and Sayako Doi, two relative newbie composers at Nintendo. 😅 I don't think their styles really suited Metroid in the way Yamamoto or Himano's styles did, but it'd be interesting to see them take another whack at it.

As for Other M, I really like this video that got recommended to me awhile back:

I thought to myself, "Huh, I don't remember Fusion's Sector 5 music being used in Other M! Cool!", and of course, I then see it's a mod. Actually trying to remember a single original track from OM would be an exercise in futility, I imagine.
That would be amazing! I apologize for not responding to your last big reply btw, that's actually kind of why I refrained. Felt a bit bad, like we were clogging up the thread too much with our own lengthy side dialogue haha. But with a general Metroid thread I'd have no qualms about it. Can't wait! 😄
Don't worry about it! 🙂 Understandable. Assuming the community thread doesn't die immediately, there will be plenty of time for random convos and musings. 😅
I’d go extreme too, but it’s out of love for the series.

If it was a series that had mid music normally it wouldn’t hurt as much, but there’s a very real downgrade to the point where I can’t picture in my head how Yamamoto was apparently the supervisor and went “yes this is good”

And unfortunately the music has tons of impact on the atmosphere, I’d probably rank Dread two spots higher (and thus my favorite 2D metroid) than I do in my series ranking if it’s OST was on par with others
I'm practically praying Yamamoto is on Prime 4, and not just as a supervisor. I imagine it wouldn't feel quite right, without him. His music is too foundational to the first three games, and Metroid's series identity, as a whole.

My bad if this is just me being too much of a hater, but I think a lot of Dread's music is firmly in that "royalty free stock music" zone of weirdness. It just gives me a cheapo vibe. I don't dig it! As ElisaurusWrecks brought up on the previous page, Chozo Laboratory from Samus Returns was actually a really neat track, and the one I latched onto, in terms of my hopes for Dread's OST. Alas, I don't think they were able to match up to even that.

Still wish Metroid got its own sub-series as a Third Person Action game. Other M had the right idea but messy execution.

If Hyrule Warriors can exist then something like that can happen to Metroid as well.

Still wish Metroid got its own sub-series as a Third Person Action game. Other M had the right idea but messy execution.

If Hyrule Warriors can exist then something like that can happen to Metroid as well.
I'd like to see something like this as well, in addition to some other interesting Metroid spinoffs / experimental projects. I'm really just hoping Federation Force didn't poison the well, on that front. They should have known better than to follow up Other M with something like that.

I'd like to see something like this as well, in addition to some other interesting Metroid spinoffs / experimental projects. I'm really just hoping Federation Force didn't poison the well, on that front. They should have known better than to follow up Other M with something like that.
FF would most likely have been better received if it was released after the announcement of both Samus Returns and MP4.

Gamers can be pretty bitter.

I think Hollow Knight is the better looking Metroidvania, and that was a $15 indie. Maybe someday we'll be fortunate enough to see a hand drawn, or HD-2D Metroid game!
Hollow Knight is pretty much my gold standard for Metroidvania art style and was exactly what I was thinking of. As far as a good pixel style, something like Blasphemous, Inmost or Prime 2D (rip sweet prince) is what comes to mind.
Actually trying to remember a single original track from OM would be an exercise in futility, I imagine.
Oh yeah, not a chance. I assume that's Maxximum Edition mod? Been trying to find a copy forever but the links are all dead it seems. Crazy how much just some classic music is able to elevate Other M.

My bad if this is just me being too much of a hater, but I think a lot of Dread's music is firmly in that "royalty free stock music" zone of weirdness. It just gives me a cheapo vibe. I don't dig it!
No, no, that's... Almost exactly how I'd describe my feelings towards it. Like, outsourced Metroid mobile game tier. The only thing in the entire game that feels tacked on like that, too.

Need Metroid Prime 1 with gyro aiming cause Samus is one of my favorite video game protagonists

Dread was okay, however I think Corruption is the better game from an ambition and cohesion standpoint.
agreed, prime 3 is one of the more innovative titles in the series, like it's the only game post-super that has actual new suits. Dread flubbed itself hard by including big areas dedicated to the EMMI which are not only shitty on their own but they undermine exploration a lot due to level design needing to adhere to these silly robots. Pissed that this was the one thing that survived the original dread concept, should have just been done away with.

agreed, prime 3 is one of the more innovative titles in the series, like it's the only game post-super that has actual new suits. Dread flubbed itself hard by including big areas dedicated to the EMMI which are not only shitty on their own but they undermine exploration a lot due to level design needing to adhere to these silly robots. Pissed that this was the one thing that survived the original dread concept, should have just been done away with.
Prime 2!

dark suit is just a recolored varia, gravity boost is just gravity suit (although the small boost is kind of new I will admit), the light suit is a new flavor of varia. prime 3 had PED which was an entire base game mechanic and the hazard suit was a nice twist on environmental damage with the acid rain

Last great? Maybe you didn't like Dread but you have to admit your opinion on it is an outlier.

thats-bait.gif

OMG lol. I had completely forgot that Dread actually exists when I posted that (It's still surreal when I think about it sometimes!). I LOVE Dread to pieces, and have beaten it four times thus far. It was my GotY last year easily.

The soundtrack did leave something to be desired though. I also like Samus Returns quite a bit, but I'm one of those weirdos who prefers the original.

OMG lol. I had completely forgot that Dread actually exists when I posted that (It's still surreal when I think about it sometimes!). I LOVE Dread to pieces, and have beaten it four times thus far. It was my GotY last year easily.

The soundtrack did leave something to be desired though. I also like Samus Returns quite a bit, but I'm one of those weirdos who prefers the original.
TheSpaceBetween redemption arc, like, 1 day after joining Famiboards. What an icon!

dark suit is just a recolored varia, gravity boost is just gravity suit (although the small boost is kind of new I will admit), the light suit is a new flavor of varia. prime 3 had PED which was an entire base game mechanic and the hazard suit was a nice twist on environmental damage with the acid rain
Alright, c'mon now, let's be fair here. The Dark and Light Suits are, factually, completely new models / designs, and not Varia Suit recolors, or anything of the sort:
The Phazon Suit from Prime 1, meanwhile, is an actual recolor:
It, alongside Fusion's Varia Suit, are among my least favorites, now that we're on the subject. I'm just not huge on the black and red / orange "Darth Vader" aesthetic for Samus. I think it suits Raven Beak better, honestly.

I really wish they'd gone with their earlier color scheme for the Phazon Suit. I vastly prefer it. They decided it wasn't evil looking enough, apparently:

prime 3 had PED which was an entire base game mechanic
Valid
and the hazard suit was a nice twist on environmental damage with the acid rain
So... It was the Varia Suit lmao

I do agree with you on the EMMIs though, I'm not the biggest fan of them and through most of Dread I just felt more like I was putting up with them. The meat for me was in between them, and the boss fights.

The Light suit has always been my favourite in the franchise chief's kiss
It's a thing of beauty. My only gripe is that they probably should've also changed the color of the arm cannon to white, since it really sticks out.

Alright, c'mon now, let's be fair here. The Dark and Light Suits are, factually, completely new models / designs, and not Varia Suit recolors, or anything of the sort:

The Phazon Suit from Prime 1, meanwhile, is an actual recolor:

It, alongside Fusion's Varia Suit, are among my least favorites, now that we're on the subject. I'm just not huge on the black and red / orange "Darth Vader" aesthetic for Samus. I think it suits Raven Beak better, honestly.

I really wish they'd gone with their earlier color scheme for the Phazon Suit. I vastly prefer it. They decided it wasn't evil looking enough, apparently:
sure visually they're new but that matters less to me than new gameplay experiences
So... It was the Varia Suit lmao
Nah, acid rain was certain areas of rooms exposed to the sky and not just "fuck you get out of here" like lava/hot areas without varia

I really wish they'd gone with their earlier color scheme for the Phazon Suit. I vastly prefer it.
If they made the navy blue on that original design black, and left all the other light blue and phazon blue highlights, I think that would be the perfect middle ground for me.

I really didn't get the red or silver.

FF would most likely have been better received if it was released after the announcement of both Samus Returns and MP4.

Gamers can be pretty bitter.
The reaction to Federation Force was pretty embarrassing. Between that and "another damn Donkey Kong", the first half of the 2010s were not a good look for the Metroid fanbase. I say this as a massive Metroid fan myself.

Dread was great. Soundtrack was eh.
Its not bad. (for the most part, there are tracks where i would argue.... like honestly, the EMMI music is as if you ask an AI how does spooky computer musik sound like, and feed it old school sci fi movies...)
But its just so...bland.

Thats one of the more memorable, but i also kinda found it anoying in a way.
Burenia IS a highlight and hast actually 2 great tracks.
But even zipping through it i get a mixed feeling of boring,
and in moments even cheap sounding.
Well said, and I'm right there with you, in having preferred they'd gone with a different visual style. The thing about 2.5D is that, although it does allow for some really awesome camera angles and dynamic boss counters, the textures and 3D assets themselves are still fairly low fidelity, and it's not like it's reasonable to expect the Switch to crank out that graphical "wow" factor, as far as 3D visuals go. Hand drawn is obviously more time consuming, but as it stands, I think Hollow Knight is the better looking Metroidvania, and that was a $15 indie. Maybe someday we'll be fortunate enough to see a hand drawn, or HD-2D Metroid game!
I think they at least used it well enough for depth, background details and cutscenes. Especially the last thing did work great, and samuses animations where great.
everything that was not samus or a boss (normal enemies, average room) did look kinda lacking in charme and details.

Nah, acid rain was certain areas of rooms exposed to the sky and not just "fuck you get out of here" like lava/hot areas without varia
I mean, if we're splitting hairs as fine as "it protects you from half the room and not the whole room" then technically the Light Suit is the only suit that allows you to teleport

I'm in the minority that much prefers the OG 1 & 2. The remakes completely ruined the tone/atmosphere.
That's a big part of why AM2R is my preferred M2 remake. It's still definitely lacking the original weird, claustrophobic atmosphere of OG Return of Samus, but it felt like it got the point a lot better than Samus Returns in the later stages like the Omega Nest, neat and creepy addition of the GFS Thoth and no thematically jarring Ridley fight "just because" (really cool fight but... Why?)

That's a big part of why AM2R is my preferred M2 remake. It's still definitely lacking the original weird, claustrophobic atmosphere of OG Return of Samus, but it felt like it got the point a lot better than Samus Returns in the later stages like the Omega Nest, neat and creepy addition of the GFS Thoth and no thematically jarring Ridley fight "just because" (really cool fight but... Why?)

I share this opinion. Mercury stream missed these pretty hard in samus returns, and these kinds of things am2r nailed the crap out of.

Made me a bit apprehensive about Mercury streams portrayal of general atmosphere and attention to detail in dread, but they grand slammed it to me.

Which just leaves me confused about returns.

Not enough time? Documentation on return of samus they were provided lacking?

I share this opinion. Mercury stream missed these pretty hard in samus returns, and these kinds of things am2r nailed the crap out of.

Made me a bit apprehensive about Mercury streams portrayal of general atmosphere and attention to detail in dread, but they grand slammed it to me.

Which just leaves me confused about returns.

Not enough time? Documentation on return of samus they were provided lacking?
I feel like a lot of concessions were made just trying to reinvent Metroid somewhat and make it financially successful enough to push Dread and other future games again. And sadly that meant adding iconic things (oh no it's Ridley!) over being more respectful to the source themes (oh no did I fuck up...?)

Because it's the best Ridley fight in the franchise thematics be dammed

I feel like a lot of concessions were made just trying to reinvent Metroid somewhat and make it financially successful enough to push Dread and other future games again. And sadly that meant adding iconic things (oh no it's Ridley!) over being more respectful to the source themes (oh no did I fuck up...?)

I was more thinking about the missing attention to detail than the addition of cool for the sake of being cool

I don't really think either of them captured the essence of M2 that well. AM2R basically felt like a sequel to Zero Mission, which to me didn't properly capture the essence of M1. Don't get me wrong, the remakes are infinitely more playable than the originals and I would never suggest new players start with dated games from '86 and '91, but my favorite thing about Metroid is the tone and atmosphere, and the remakes felt quite watered down in that regard. M1 and M2 are the most oppressive, atmospheric games in the series to me. Mechanically, the remakes stuck far to close to Super without adding much to make them their own unique thing. So for me it's like, I'd rather just play Super because it has most of the same mechanics all while having far superior level design and atmosphere.

I am glad they exist though of course. Zero Mission in particular remains a beloved entry in the series even if it didn't click with me personally.

Hollow Knight is pretty much my gold standard for Metroidvania art style and was exactly what I was thinking of. As far as a good pixel style, something like Blasphemous, Inmost or Prime 2D (rip sweet prince) is what comes to mind.
Blasphemous is gorgeous. I've only played the demo, though I do plan to run through the game in its entirety, at some point. Another example of an indie Metroidvania with an art style closer to what I'd have preferred from Dread. Love high quality pixel art. Inmost (hadn't heard of this prior to your mention, looks nice!) and Prime 2D are some solid examples too.
No, no, that's... Almost exactly how I'd describe my feelings towards it. Like, outsourced Metroid mobile game tier. The only thing in the entire game that feels tacked on like that, too.
Yeah, it's super jarring, and does mar the game somewhat. It's my hope that Nintendo has observed, and will be receptive toward fan feedback, regarding the OST.
All of the main installments are elite for me (1-5, and Prime 1-3). Im in the minority that much prefers the OG 1 & 2. The remakes completely ruined the tone/atmosphere.
I've never actually played the original Metroid 2 for more than ten or fifteen minutes. I just could not get over the fact that Samus took up so much of the screen, and that everything looked sorta samey. I didn't actually play any version of M2 until last year, when I bought a 2DS, and finally ran through Samus Returns, prior to Dread's release. I thought it was really good, and it makes me wanna go back and give the original M2 another shot. Enough time has passed, that I think I could end up accepting it for what it is.

I've also never been partial to NES Metroid (was always far more into Zero Mission), but I'm currently making my way through that again, as well. It's honestly pretty brutal. Respawning with a mere 30 energy each time, and having to farm more... pain. 🙃
They arguably even broke the lore with the added Ridley fight, at the end of Samus Returns. In Fusion's prologue, Samus remarks on how the baby is saving her life for the second time, but wouldn't it be the third? First against Ridley in SR, then against MB in Super, and finally, via the vaccine in Fusion. I also do find it a bit strange how Ridley is still partially mechanical at the end of SR, gets his ass kicked by Samus and the baby, and somehow that's what gets him right as rain, just in time for the events of Super? Weird! Admittedly, though, I did really love that fight overall, even despite these gripes.

I've also never been partial to NES Metroid (was always far more into Zero Mission), but I'm currently making my way through that again, as well. It's honestly pretty brutal. Respawning with a mere 30 energy each time, and having to farm more... pain. 🙃
Metroid: Planets is a pretty good option for NESTroid with better quality of life, and also introduces some new tilesets ('planets') and randomizers for a lot of replayability. It's basically the Metroid Maker that Nintendo hasn't given us.

It's not the pure NESTroid masochist experience though, so YMMV lol

Metroid: Planets is a pretty good option for NESTroid with better quality of life, and also introduces some new tilesets ('planets') and randomizers for a lot of replayability. It's basically the Metroid Maker that Nintendo hasn't given us.

It's not the pure NESTroid masochist experience though, so YMMV lol
I actually learned of this awhile back, and was intrigued, but I guess I forgot to ever download and play it.

Just played for 20 minutes. Holy shit, it's so good!!! Thanks a ton for posting it! I honestly feel like dropping NES Metroid for the time being, and just playing through this instead. It's just so much smoother. I especially love the physics, animations, and not having frame drops (the most significant bit!)

I actually learned of this awhile back, and was intrigued, but I guess I forgot to ever download and play it.

Just played for 20 minutes. Holy shit, it's so good!!! Thanks a ton for posting it! I honestly feel like dropping NES Metroid for the time being, and just playing through this instead. It's just so much smoother. I especially love the physics, animations, and not having frame drops (the most significant bit!)
You bet! I figured you might appreciate it if you were feeling burnt on NESTroid, haha. I've beaten the original once or twice but I wouldn't call the experience... pleasant... maybe just rewarding. And now that there's a good alternative I don't think I'll ever go back. 😜 Always happy to spread the word of great fan projects too, even though it probably means my days are numbered before the big N calls an ion cannon strike on my house.

While I'm at it - Sam Dillard's Metroid Cinematica Recharged album has been publicly released today, and as a backer for that project I can say with 1000% certainty that it is an amazing work of art. Tons of passion for Metroid in his renditions and it shows.

If anybody's interested:

I've never actually played the original Metroid 2 for more than ten or fifteen minutes. I just could not get over the fact that Samus took up so much of the screen, and that everything looked sorta samey. I didn't actually play any version of M2 until last year, when I bought a 2DS, and finally ran through Samus Returns, prior to Dread's release. I thought it was really good, and it makes me wanna go back and give the original M2 another shot. Enough time has passed, that I think I could end up accepting it for what it is.

Yeah, I hear you. All of the complaints about the originals are totally justified. They're old games that were a product of their time in many ways. They're not very playable by today's standards, even though they were incredibly influential. Unless someone is a big fan of games of that era I would never recommend someone new to the series try them out. There's something about them that just puts me in a trance though. The simple graphics and analogue synth soundtracks are able to convey a certain mood and ambience that just draws me in. After The Tunnel, Metroid 2's sound track is mostly bleeps and blops and sound effects, but I love it. I'm really into industrial noise type music. I feel like the first two games especially had strong horror vibes. The environments were really meant to feel "alive" and it's amazing that they accomplished that so fully with the limitations of technology at the time.

I can easily clear both games without too much trouble these days... The initial playthrough's were pretty brutal for me (I think I beat them for the first time in the late 00's...), but once you get the hang of it it's not that bad. I even drew myself maps at the time haha. Good times.

If anybody's interested:

That's awesome! I was not expecting it to morph into the Echoes menu/title themes.

Last edited:
That's awesome! I was not expecting it to morph into the Echoes menu/title themes.
Yeah! The whole album is done conceptually as if it were a near-2 hour long Metroid movie score, essentially - almost every album track uses multiple pieces from throughout the series and blends them together into hybrid electronic/orchestral remixes that are just really well done.

Edge of the Labyrinth is a personal favorite of mine.

You bet! I figured you might appreciate it if you were feeling burnt on NESTroid, haha. I've beaten the original once or twice but I wouldn't call the experience... pleasant... maybe just rewarding. And now that there's a good alternative I don't think I'll ever go back. 😜 Always happy to spread the word of great fan projects too, even though it probably means my days are numbered before the big N calls an ion cannon strike on my house.

While I'm at it - Sam Dillard's Metroid Cinematica Recharged album has been publicly released today, and as a backer for that project I can say with 1000% certainty that it is an amazing work of art. Tons of passion for Metroid in his renditions and it shows.

If anybody's interested:

Yes, I certainly appreciate it! I'm going to keep playing, and will report back with my thoughts, once I've finished up Zebeth. I'm really enjoying the music so far, too.

Sam Dillard is an extraordinary talent, and I also ended up backing Metroid Cinematica Recharged! Even made a thread for it here on Fami, back in November. "The Last Metroid" in particular never fails to generate an emotional response, from me:

Such beautiful work. I have the CD and poster coming my way, so I'm excited for that.

Such beautiful work. I have the CD and poster coming my way, so I'm excited for that.
Oh wow, awesome! Glad you heard about it too! The whole album is just amazing, been listening to it over and over since early downloads came out. Can't wait to see what the Dread album is going to be like - I really think he has potential to breathe life into some of those themes.

I too have the physical stuff coming and can't wait for the CD to get here. I also recently got Lacey Johnson's Next Mission CD delivered and it pretty much has just constantly shared a spot in my car's CD player alongside Frank Klepacki and Tiberian Sons' Command and Conquer tribute album. Pretty soon I'll fill the entire 6 disk changer with pure video game goodness!

Back
Top Bottom