• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Metroid Prime remaster/remake planned for 2022 (UPDATE: new rumor from Jeff Grubb, see threadmarks)

Nintendo is the Lupin The Third of videogames. They announced that they are going to take money from our wallets and how they are going to do it. We say they won't get away with it this time and then they do.

We’re really debating Nintendo charging $60 for a remaster of Metroid Prime? No doubt in my mind they’ll do it and it’ll sell within reasonable expectations

Xenoblade DE is using Xenoblade 2's engine, right? Perhaps Prime HD will be using Prime 4's engine, so it won't just be hybrid emulation like Skyward Sword / Mario Galaxy or native port of the original like TWW / TP.

But since XDE is considered a remaster since the end product is a shinier Xenoblade, Prime HD will be considered a remaster because it will be a shinier Metroid Prime, and maybe that's all it needs to be.

We’re really debating Nintendo charging $60 for a remaster of Metroid Prime? No doubt in my mind they’ll do it and it’ll sell within reasonable expectations
Nobody doubts that I think , the question is more about how much effort they will put on the remaster and the degree of change the game will have compared to the original.

(Want to make clear I’m not saying the developers maybe are lazy so they dont put effort on the game, it’s all related to the budget Nintendo has gave them to make the game and they will have to make as much as they can with it)

The visuals will definitely be the main focus, I don't see the game getting any meaningful new content. But it will look better than the likes of Skyward Sword.

I wouldn't be so sure Nintendo would charge 60 dollars for this one. They have trouble selling brand new Metroid games at full price so maybe they'll ease up a bit on this one. I wouldn't be surprised either way but it's not exactly Zelda here. They didn't even do that for Sunshine and Galaxy, and Mario could get away with that much easier than Metroid can.

I wouldn't be so sure Nintendo would charge 60 dollars for this one. They have trouble selling brand new Metroid games at full price so maybe they'll ease up a bit on this one. I wouldn't be surprised either way but it's not exactly Zelda here. They didn't even do that for Sunshine and Galaxy, and Mario could get away with that much easier than Metroid can.
Dread is now the best selling metroid and it's a 2D platformer in a generally uncared for IP. MP1 Definitive Edition will sell just fine, maybe even break 1M

The lowest I can see them go is $50. Any lower would be out of character for Nintendo. Sunshine and Galaxy were a different situation, those were straight up ports with nothing added and only sold for a limited time.
Dread is now the best selling metroid and it's a 2D platformer in a generally uncared for IP. MP1 Definitive Edition will sell just fine, maybe even break 1M
Oh it'll easily break 1M, especially if it's marketed well. 2.5 million is the ceiling, 1 million is the floor.

I don’t think we should compare Mario and the anniversary collection to Metroid. We have to look at everything on a case by case basis. It sounds like more will go into Metroid Prime Remaster than any game from the Mario collection.

The lowest I can see them go is $50. Any lower would be out of character for Nintendo. Sunshine and Galaxy were a different situation, those were straight up ports with nothing added and only sold for a limited time.

Oh it'll easily break 1M, especially if it's marketed well. 2.5 million is the ceiling, 1 million is the floor.
I dunno, they don't really have any history with Gamecube games on Switch. They did sell the entire Prime trilogy with redone controls for 50 bucks. Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised either way, especially since I don't know what the game is. If it's a Xenoblade level remaster, then I'd expect 60, yeah. But I wouldn't be shocked to see something a bit lower.

its not a remaster,i could bet my account,with the insider info we got (not from emily of nate,but from that other guy),he timeframe and the info i researched about the contracts it cant be a remaster,100% remake

I wouldn't put any stock in that. Not that I'm saying it will be one over the other, just that what they say is meaningless. The companies don't give a crap about whether it is a remaster or remake, they will call it whatever they think would be more popular at the moment. There are remasters being called remakes and remakes being called remasters.

Insiders likely don't get to see the game, so they have no way of knowing if they are using the original assets to make a new master (remastering, now retaining the full fidelity of the original assets, that was lost/compressed because the original storage media/hardware couldn't handle it), or actually remaking the assets, so they just have to repeat what they hear.

The visuals will definitely be the main focus, I don't see the game getting any meaningful new content. But it will look better than the likes of Skyward Sword.
i think its even absurd to imply a game that will be remastered by retro studios themselves wont be substantially improved visually
If that was how things worked, xenoblade remastered would be sold for 30 dollars, because that sold half of what the latest 2d metroid game sold, for example.

i think its even absurd to imply a game that will be remastered by retro studios themselves wont be substantially improved visually

really, if that was the case xenoblade remastered would be sold for 30 dollars, because that sold half of what the latest 2d metroid game sold, for example.
That is absolutely not what I was saying. Otherwise they'd have to sell some games for a dollar to scale compared to what Mario Kart sells. They also don't know a games sales prior to pricing and releasing it so your example doesn't really make sense anyway. Dread also released after Xenoblade.

My point is simply that the Zelda brand is a premium one in Nintendo's eyes. I don't assume they would treat all brands equally. They did release the Prime trilogy for 50 dollars after all. I think it just depends on how big of a project it is really. If it's a Xenoblade level remaster, I'd expect 60 as I said. If it's one piece of the Prime trilogy but in 1080p, I don't think they'd charge 60 for that with Metroid. They might with Zelda.

Metroid Prime Remaster is being positioned as a holiday title. It’ll be smack dab probably in October or November. I just don’t see this being anything less than $60.

Metroid Prime Remaster is being positioned as a holiday title. It’ll be smack dab probably in October or November. I just don’t see this being anything less than $60.
Perhaps you're right, but Nate hearing about a potential Prime 2 and 3 remaster gives me a bit of pause is all. I don't see Nintendo putting out 3 big Xenoblade remasters like that for 60 dollars in a short period of time for Metroid. It just makes me think perhaps the scope is a bit less than what some think.

I feel like we had this discussion before about Metroid. It was the same as Dread.
What discussion? Dread is a brand new game.

Perhaps you're right, but Nate hearing about a potential Prime 2 and 3 remaster gives me a bit of pause is all. I don't see Nintendo putting out 3 big Xenoblade remasters like that for 60 dollars in a short period of time for Metroid. It just makes me think perhaps the scope is a bit less than what some think.

What discussion? Dread is a brand new game.
We’ll hopefully find out soon enough on MPR’s price. To be fair there was a lot of discussion on Dread should be cheaper and “how it wouldn’t do well at $60 because of indies”.

That is absolutely not what I was saying. Otherwise they'd have to sell some games for a dollar to scale compared to what Mario Kart sells. They also don't know a games sales prior to pricing and releasing it so your example doesn't really make sense anyway. Dread also released after Xenoblade.

My point is simply that the Zelda brand is a premium one in Nintendo's eyes. I don't assume they would treat all brands equally. They did release the Prime trilogy for 50 dollars after all. I think it just depends on how big of a project it is really. If it's a Xenoblade level remaster, I'd expect 60 as I said. If it's one piece of the Prime trilogy but in 1080p, I don't think they'd charge 60 for that with Metroid. They might with Zelda.
If you re talking about trilogy on wii, i think wii games were sold all for 50 dollars. Skyward Sword certainly was. There is no sign nintendo would release prime at less than 60 if they didn't cheap out with Dread.

Dread was worse. We had to keep hearing about indies this and indies that being so cheap and comparing them to Dread. It doesn’t matter. None of them are Metroid.
Its such a constant thing. Dread couldn't be sold at 60 dollars because indies werent and therefore dread would struggle to sell more than 1 million.

Prime wont be sold at 60 dollars because of this very specific metric, and if it does it will struggle to sell more than 1 million.

We know how it went for dread lol.

We’ll hopefully find out soon enough on MPR’s price. To be fair there was a lot of discussion on Dread should be cheaper and “how it wouldn’t do well at $60 because of indies”.
Considering I used Mario as an example, that's absolutely wasn't what I was implying.

I was more pushing back on the notion that Nintendo would charge 60 dollars for anything and 'get away' with it. I don't think they actually have a history of doing that and I think it's mostly done with Zelda because of the prestige that brand carries.

If you re talking about trilogy on wii, i think wii games were sold all for 50 dollars. Skyward Sword certainly was. There is no sign nintendo would release prime at less than 60 if they didn't cheap out with Dread.

Its such a constant thing. Dread couldn't be sold at 60 dollars because indies werent and therefore dread would struggle to sell more than 1 million.

Prime wont be sold at 60 dollars because of this very specific metric, and if it does it will struggle to sell more than 1 million.

We know how it went for dread lol.
Prime trilogy is 3 games sold for 50 dollars was my point.

And yeah you guys are attributing previous aggressions to me that I was never apart of.

I specifically said I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for 60, and I never said it would struggle to sell more than a million. If you have a bone to pick with people who said something about dread, go take that up with them.

If you look at my history, I've always said dread would be the top selling Metroid and that it's worth 60 dollars. I'm not a believer that 2D games are worth less than 3D ones.

I forgot Wii games were $50. Lol it would’ve be hilarious if Nintendo charged $60 for a MPT on Wii. People would’ve been pissed 😂
I wasn't saying 50 dollar games were a bargain. I'm saying it was 3 games for 50 dollars. Not that they should have charged 60 for it.

Again, that's why I reference Mario Sunshine and Galaxy. They were sold together for 60 (with 64), not individually released each for 60.

It’s hard for me to explain. There’s a prestige about Metroid Prime. I think they’re going to do so much more for it than anything they did for that shameless Mario anniversary collection. I see Nintendo sees the Metroid Prime Remaster from the work they’re doing on it and being in the holiday season will garner a $60 price tag.

I don’t have anything else to say on it other than we’ll see when it comes.

I wasn't saying 50 dollar games were a bargain. I'm saying it was 3 games for 50 dollars. Not that they should have charged 60 for it.

Again, that's why I reference Mario Sunshine and Galaxy. They were sold together for 60 (with 64), not individually released each for 60.
Those were straight ports released for a limited time. This is a remaster released (hopefully) not for a limited time. If Galaxy got a remaster it would have been released for 60.

Considering I used Mario as an example, that's absolutely wasn't what I was implying.

I was more pushing back on the notion that Nintendo would charge 60 dollars for anything and 'get away' with it. I don't think they actually have a history of doing that and I think it's mostly done with Zelda because of the prestige that brand carries.

Prime trilogy is 3 games sold for 50 dollars was my point.

And yeah you guys are attributing previous aggressions to me that I was never apart of.

I specifically said I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for 60, and I never said it would struggle to sell more than a million. If you have a bone to pick with people who said something about dread, go take that up with them.

If you look at my history, I've always said dread would be the top selling Metroid and that it's worth 60 dollars. I'm not a believer that 2D games are worth less than 3D ones.
i apologize, it wasnt a rant towards you, more like a general sentiment for what i generally see in forums. Im sorry that i made it seem like it was towards you.

Those were straight ports released for a limited time. This is a remaster released (hopefully) not for a limited time. If Galaxy got a remaster it would have been released for 60.
Yeah, and I said if it's a Xenoblade level remaster (or better) they'd charge 60. So we don't disagree there. But with rumors of Prime 2 and 3 also floating around I'm just curious how extensive of a remaster it is, thus my comparison to the Mario games. Unless Prime 4 is releasing a lot later than I expect, I don't see them doing 3 big full price remasters ahead of it. Of course, those could release after Prime 4, or might not happen at all.

i apologize, it wasnt a rant towards you, more like a general sentiment for what i generally see in forums. Im sorry that i made it seem like it was towards you.
It's all good. I was never trying to bash Metroid, more so I just think Nintendo holds Zelda in the highest regard when it comes to rereleases, and I think fans might as well. I really just don't know how extensive the remaster is and I don't think Nintendo would charge full price if it was a Galaxy level deal.

I also expect every first party Switch game to break a million.

Yeah, and I said if it's a Xenoblade level remaster (or better) they'd charge 60. So we don't disagree there. But with rumors of Prime 2 and 3 also floating around I'm just curious how extensive of a remaster it is, thus my comparison to the Mario games. Unless Prime 4 is releasing a lot later than I expect, I don't see them doing 3 big full price remasters ahead of it. Of course, those could release after Prime 4, or might not happen at all.

It's all good. I was never trying to bash Metroid, more so I just think Nintendo holds Zelda in the highest regard when it comes to rereleases, and I think fans might as well. I really just don't know how extensive the remaster is and I don't think Nintendo would charge full price if it was a Galaxy level deal.

I also expect every first party Switch game to break a million.
About the prime 2 and 3 situation, dont quote my word on it but i think it was said by the leakers that retro was supposed to work on the entire trilogy and when they got prime 4 2 and 3 got cut. Maybe it will be a crysis situation, prime 1 will release as standalone and 2 and 3 will come later as one.

Considering it has been said by the leakers it was in the works for 3 years, i think its difficult to imagine this is just an hd port. There would be no excuse for them to not port all three games in that case.

Now, with that out of the way, i think this forum will be disappointed. I think what really will drive sales for this will be the revamped visuals, and many people here already said that they'd care more about new content, not new visuals.

About the prime 2 and 3 situation, dont quote my word on it but i think it was said by the leakers that retro was supposed to work on the entire trilogy and when they got prime 4 2 and 3 got cut. Maybe it will be a crysis situation, prime 1 will release as standalone and 2 and 3 will come later as one.

Considering it has been said by the leakers it was in the works for 3 years, i think its difficult to imagine this is just an hd port. There would be no excuse for them to not port all three games in that case.

Now, with that out of the way, i think this forum will be disappointed. I think what really will drive sales for this will be the revamped visuals, and many people here already said that they'd care more about new content, not new visuals.
I don't follow the rumor mill as closely as others so that's news to me. I was going solely off of what Emily's post in this thread about Nate hearing about a potential Prime 2 and 3. It was the first I heard of them being remastered so it made me rethink how big of a project this was. With what you said, I'm inclined to agree with you about what it is.

I also agree that the revamped visuals are more important for driving sales than new content.

weird, i actually think Prime 1 Remake/remaster has an actual chance of selling even more then Dread

weird, i actually think Prime 1 Remake/remaster has an actual chance of selling even more then Dread
Doubt it, the game has been re-released multiple times already not to mention dolphin emulation/primehack being an option. I do think prime 4 will be the best selling metroid though unless they massively fuck it up somehow

Doubt it, the game has been re-released multiple times already not to mention dolphin emulation/primehack being an option. I do think prime 4 will be the best selling metroid though unless they massively fuck it up somehow
I dont think people actually care. For the vast majority of people this will be their first introduction to metroid prime. Its also not available in any platform that people actually own or play.

None. I want it on NSO and I want newer games.

Between these two options, an HD remaster would be the way to go.

Nah it won’t.
I think there's an argument to be made, considering the aforementioned rationale that this will be a whole generation's first chance to see "what the fuss is about" with Metroid Prime, as well as the whole stigma of "3D > 2D".

To me, the main impediment is if there's not enough of an incentive for those of us who have played the game to death for 20 years to buy in again. Which is why I'm daring to hope that Retro will surprise.

New area/boss? Montage featurette recounting the whole Prime series' storyline (from Sylux's POV)? .....................................Prime 4 demo? 🤣

At least stuff like "Dread Suit unlocked if you have a save of Dread" should be a gimme.

Last edited:
The dream is a remake-y approach with the option of playing with detached joy-cons and have it control like Prime Trilogy.

But that ain't happening. We're getting simple upscaling and enhanced lighting/shadows I think.

I owned a Wii but never played Metroid Prime. Never even heard of it 'til a few years ago. 🤷

Dread was the first Metroid game I loved and played to the end. This remaster will be the first time I play Prime and I think that'll hold true for a lot of new Metroid fans onboarded by Dread.

I don't know what new content could feasibly be added to Metroid Prime, short of finding a way to re-add cut content like Meta-Kraid as was said earlier. It's a pretty tight experience. Maybe rework the world map to flow more cohesively together for backtracking? But I doubt they'd touch the fundamental structure.

I expect best case scenario is that the game is facelifted and looks absolutely gorgeous, we get remastered music that (hopefully) improves on what is already one of the best soundtracks ever, and some extra bonus unlockables to tie in to Dread and maybe, maybe, just maybe if we're exceedingly lucky, Prime 4.

At this point they should give us all 3 games. Unless there is a bid development issue, I don’t see why you would just offer 1.

Back
Top Bottom