• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Metroid Prime remaster/remake planned for 2022 (UPDATE: new rumor from Jeff Grubb, see threadmarks)

I'm hoping for a remake, I'm expecting it to be what Nate said, so a remaster style game. I'm not too invested either way though.

I think Emily had stated it started devolpment in 2018 and ended in summer of 2021. Im not sure if that is long for a remaster or a normal devolpment time.
Depends on the size of the team and how much the development of Metroid Prime 4 impacted it. We won't know for sure for a while.

I would much rather just have a simple remaster of all 3 Prime games than anything else.
It's dumb to remake just 1 and then expect fans who haven't played the games before to go from 1 straight to 4.
I'm sure there will be plenty of time to release both of them before 4 is finished 🥲

On the question of the topic; It's close to a perfect game in my mind, but some aspects of the game may feel a bit dated if it's just a Xenoblade DE type of thing. For example with XB specifically, I thought the environments felt somehow more static than on Wii, perhaps due to the higher resolution revealing the occasional lack of detail. The world felt more like a bunch of 3D models than a world.

I would much rather just have a simple remaster of all 3 Prime games than anything else.
It's dumb to remake just 1 and then expect fans who haven't played the games before to go from 1 straight to 4.
To be honest they wouldn't really need to do either.
They didn't port all the games over to Switch for Dread aswell.
Arguably Metroid Fusion is the most important for Dreads Story but it's one of the two games in the main series you can't play on Switch.
And even then I would only really play Super Metroid on there because the remakes of the other games are superior.
While I would love for all of the Prime games to be on Switch, I would rather have a very polished remake of 1, cause that probably might aswell be a new game.
And it's not like the Story is that deep.
New players probably won't be lost just playing 4.

To be honest they wouldn't really need to do either.
They didn't port all the games over to Switch for Dread aswell.
Arguably Metroid Fusion is the most important for Dreads Story but it's one of the two games in the main series you can't play on Switch.
And even then I would only really play Super Metroid on there because the remakes of the other games are superior.
While I would love for all of the Prime games to be on Switch, I would rather have a very polished remake of 1, cause that probably might aswell be a new game.
And it's not like the Story is that deep.
New players probably won't be lost just playing 4.
Yeah, this would basically be the case for any series on a console that doesn't have backwards compatibility. Especially when dealing with long running franchises, you hardly ever have the full series on the console in anticipation of the next release.

The insiders said it’s a remaster. Nate said it’s more akin to Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
Does that mean it'll come with its own original epilogue starring Sylux called "Bounty Collected", too, or nah? 🤣

I've never played any of the Prime games so it will be an insta-buy for me whatever the case, but afaik these games aged pretty well, didn't they. A remaster would be more than enough

Will only really care if it’s a REmake/Zero Mission style remake.

Only remastering it and not just doing the entire trilogy is just stupid. If you are going to go back in and focus solely on Prime 1 game could use some new elements and things to turn the game on its head in some way. Idk if Im super into spunking 60 dollars just to play prime 1 again exactly as it was except in 720p

I've never played any of the Prime games so it will be an insta-buy for me whatever the case, but afaik these games aged pretty well, didn't they. A remaster would be more than enough
I would argue the thing that aged the worst is the controls, but looking at Skward Sword I think Nintendo will take the time to have normal standart twin stick controls in their aswell.
Otherwise, yeah, save room placement is also rather forgiving compared to other games and it's pretty much 3D Zelda but Sci-fi and the Dungeons are huge and interconnected.

Read my post above.

Back in 2018, Retro Studios' original plan was to develop and release the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy, in sequential order. That might help explain why it went through a longer-than-normal development cycle. But I don't know if those plans changed once Retro took over development of Prime 4.

What I know: An HD Switch version of Metroid Prime 1 definitely exists. It's floating around at Nintendo of America/Europe. I am only able to confirm Prime 1, but I won't rule out the possibility of the entire trilogy.

What I don't know: I have no clue what Nintendo's plans are for Metroid Prime 2 and 3.
  • NateDrake (NateTheHate) says his source found remasters of Prime 2 and Prime 3 sitting on a dev kit at Nintendo.
Thank you for explaining this, it will be interesting to see how Nintendo decides to release prime 1 and 2 and 3 if those do come at some point too.

unknown.png

its not a remaster,i could bet my account,with the insider info we got (not from emily of nate,but from that other guy),he timeframe and the info i researched about the contracts it cant be a remaster,100% remake

Back in 2018, Retro Studios' original plan was to develop and release the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy, in sequential order. That might help explain why it went through a longer-than-normal development cycle. But I don't know if those plans changed once Retro took over development of Prime 4.

What I know: An HD Switch version of Metroid Prime 1 definitely exists. It's floating around at Nintendo of America/Europe. I am only able to confirm Prime 1, but I won't rule out the possibility of the entire trilogy.

What I don't know: I have no clue what Nintendo's plans are for Metroid Prime 2 and 3.
  • NateDrake (NateTheHate) says his source found remasters of Prime 2 and Prime 3 sitting on a dev kit at Nintendo.
Hmmm. If they're sitting on a dev kit, that means they're currently in production, correct? Or maybe they're internal prototypes?

I expect people to get very confused over terminology about them.

In a literal sense, I expect them to have ported whatever engine they had going for the first three Prime games to Switch, tuned it to develop Prime 4 on it, then made the past 3 games run on it, replacing old assets with new, higher fidelity ones. If that's a port, a remaster, or a remake, I actually don't know, because definitions are very dumb sometimes. It's Metroid Prime for Switch.

This assuming it actually exists, and all.

Insiders were saying remaster, right? Kinda expecting Xeno DE treatment at most.
I think that's probably the best thing to hope for. It's a significant visual improvement for already good looking games that doesn't require so much work as to not be able to get the other 2 out in a timely manner, and that means they can put Prime 4 out relatively soon with the complete story available to newcomers ahead of time. And as someone who's favorite is Echoes, I'd very much like to get all 3. DE treatment with a remastered soundtrack or other such bonus would be plenty to make me bite again.

What I really don't want to see is them going all in on a huge Prime 1 remake that leaves no room for the other 2, or in such a way that it delays Prime 4 even farther out. If they're already done then by all means, I hope they're all massive gorgeous remakes. But I'm assuming from what has been said by relevant parties that only Prime 1 is finished and the other 2 are not a given to make the move to Switch - and I really don't want to live in a timeline where Prime 2 and 3 are consigned to the dust bin in favor of just Prime 1.

Have you ever heard of any other games in the past that Nintendo called “Remaster” internally? That might give us an idea.
Unsure about internally.

XBC DE is the best barometer to use as a gauge, I think. Officially, Nintendo called XBC a Remaster, while others argued it's remake.

If Nintendo calls Prime something like Metroid Prime Definitive Edition and it's visually enhanced... does it matter whether it's a Remake or a Remaster?

Unsure about internally.

XBC DE is the best barometer to use as a gauge, I think. Officially, Nintendo called XBC a Remaster, while others argued it's remake.

If Nintendo calls Prime something like Metroid Prime Definitive Edition and it's visually enhanced... does it matter whether it's a Remake or a Remaster?
Even if it was remade would it even sell more than a upgraded remaster? Wouldn't it just cost Nintendo more unnecessary money. given that the orginal version looks pretty good still a remaster will probably look pretty modern. Unless it's just an hd port which could technically be called a remaster...

Unsure about internally.

I don’t really care. I think for some they want Nintendo to go all out and do a full remake, especially if they have to pay for $60. But yeah idc because I’m going to buy it.

In the end I feel like whoever is going to buy it will buy it be remade or remake. I don’t see Nintendo selling a ton more copies with a full remake. That kind of investment is probably not worth it for Nintendo.

Even if it was remade would it even sell more than a upgraded remaster? Wouldn't it just cost Nintendo more unnecessary money. given that the orginal version looks pretty good still a remaster will probably look pretty modern. Unless it's just an hd port which could technically be called a remaster...
I don't think it's about how much it would sell above the original, it's about the pedigree and starting the push of MP4. Release a bare HD res up game, and that could hurt your new sequel.

I don't think it's about how much it would sell above the original, it's about the pedigree and starting the push of MP4. Release a bare HD res up game, and that could hurt your new sequel.
I don’t agree with this. A Metroid Prime Remaster or Remake won’t sell great anyways. It’ll be 3 games away from MP4 if MP2 or MP3 don’t release in between. In the end it’ll be up to Metroid Prime 4 to sell itself. That’s why I believe Nintendo needs to start the marketing for it now if it’s coming late 2023.

I don’t agree with this. A Metroid Prime Remaster or Remake won’t sell great anyways. It’ll be 3 games away from MP4 if MP2 or MP3 don’t release in between. In the end it’ll be up to Metroid Prime 4 to sell itself. That’s why I believe Nintendo needs to start the marketing for it now if it’s coming late 2023.
If Nintendo/Retro are remastering this game instead of 3, it makes me believe that 4 would be more tied to 1.

Granted, I haven't played any of them. But there's must be a reason behind the decision.

if Prime gets the Xenoblade Definitive Edition treatment then that's cool but this game got a new epilogue in addition to a graphical overhaul and QOL.
Even Link's Awakening received new content with the Dungeon Creator while being completely redone visually.

It's hard for Nintendo to sell Prime Remaster at full price if it's nothing more than a graphical overhaul.

if Prime gets the Xenoblade Definitive Edition treatment then that's cool but this game got a new epilogue in addition to a graphical overhaul and QOL.
Even Link's Awakening received new content with the Dungeon Creator while being completely redone visually.

It's hard for Nintendo to sell Prime Remaster at full price if it's nothing more than a graphical overhaul.
I guess we’ll have to wait and see if it has some new content. I don’t think Nate knows if it does have new content.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see if it has some new content. I don’t think Nate knows if it does have new content.
Wasn't the main reason for XC DEs new content to set up xenoblade 3 though? Wouldn't it be weird to add new content for 1 to set up something for 4 when theres two games in between. Unless the new content didn't have relevance to the plot of the series.

The only thing the vast majority of people will be judging will be how improved the visuals are. If they are significantly improved people will call it a remake, no matter how much ''acktchually'' famiboards go lol

You know, people say this a lot but Nintendo does it anyways and is very successful. They literally released Mario Bros U and Pikmin 3 with minimal changes and charged full price.

You know, people say this a lot but Nintendo does it anyways and is very successful. They literally released Mario Bros U and Pikmin 3 with minimal changes and charged full price.
They would absolutely do this, and it would be a big success lol. Like i said, most people only really care about the visuals in a remaster or remake

If Nintendo adds anything, it'll be something like Metroid Prime Hunters multiplayer. Anything else doesn't make sense IMO. And even that seems like a stretch.

Wii U games vs GCN games, not really fair imo

They sold Skyward Sword, a Wii game, for full price just last year. If anything, bringing Metroid Prime up to more current graphical standards if a bigger effort than porting over some Wii U games, so in Nintendo's mind, a full price is even more justified.

They sold Skyward Sword, a Wii game, for full price just last year. If anything, bringing Metroid Prime up to more current graphical standards if a bigger effort than porting over some Wii U games, so in Nintendo's mind, a full price is even more justified.
Skyward Sword they had to rework a lot more the controls and it’s a Zelda game a much more popular franchise. Also we have seen how it had awful legs , the worst of any Zelda game in the system . Will they want to repeat this with a less popular IP on Metroid? I don’t expect a full remake but more than just a HD version, I think it should be something like Wind Waker HD.

Last edited:
It’ll be interesting to see what happens here. It could be hard to do the rumored TP/WW double pack for $60 and then sell a remastered Metroid Prime for the same price.

Skyward Sword they had to rework a lot more the controls and it’s a Zelda game a much more popular franchise. Also we have seen how it had awful games , the worst of any Zelda game in the system . Will they want to repeat this with a less popular IP on Metroid? I don’t expect a full remake but more than just a HD version, I think it should be something like Wind Waker HD.
If they had to rework the controls for Skyward Sword they will almost certainly rework them for Metroid Prime yeah

Skyward Sword they had to rework a lot more the controls and it’s a Zelda game a much more popular franchise. Also we have seen how it had awful games , the worst of any Zelda game in the system . Will they want to repeat this with a less popular IP on Metroid? I don’t expect a full remake but more than just a HD version, I think it should be something like Wind Waker HD.

I'm guessing you meant to say awful sales instead of awful games. It sold millions of copies and probably had a giant return on investment.

And the original post I was responding to was saying Nintendo can't get away with just a graphical overhaul. I was saying Nintendo could get away with it because they have gotten away with doing less. Your suggestion it should be like Wind Waker HD is just that...graphical overhaul. Sure it had some minor things but nothing substantial.

I'm guessing you meant to say awful sales instead of awful games. It sold millions of copies and probably had a giant return on investment.

And the original post I was responding to was saying Nintendo can't get away with just a graphical overhaul. I was saying Nintendo could get away with it because they have gotten away with doing less. Your suggestion it should be like Wind Waker HD is just that...graphical overhaul. Sure it had some minor things but nothing substantial.
I wanted to write legs not games , it had a really strong first quarter but then fell off heavily compared to other Zelda games in the system.

Also I may have misunderstood the original post I thought it only meant just upscaled resolution for the game and It’s textures, while I expect them to do more work than that graphical wise even if it only will be that an improvement graphical wise and QoL/Controlls.

Back
Top Bottom