• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Metroid Prime remaster/remake planned for 2022 (UPDATE: new rumor from Jeff Grubb, see threadmarks)

Well that's why I mentioned it, because it sounds like Grubb is saying 2 and 3 aren't getting the same amount of work. That would be new information and a change from the original plan.
Maybe I'm being too optimistic here but these are remakes of decade old games which visually were very similar, so wouldn't the bulk of the work needed to be done for the first entry and then a lot of re utilization of assets for the other 2? This could fit the "2 and 3 would get less amount of work" narrative.

Perhaps I'm being naively hopeful, but personally remastering 1 to higher standard and then 2 & 3 to a lower standard seems like a dumb and odd move imo. I'll probably play them all anyway since I loved the series but only played original versions when they first came out and would love to replay them, but surely would prefer if all 3 had a similar high quality level even if released with a bit of time apart (say for example MP1 late 2022, MP2 1st half 2023, MP3 2nd half 2023 and possible setting up a MP4 late 2024 date).

Thanks!

And @MetalLord, this post completely lines up with your LinkedIn information that the game finished up development in September 2021 as he remarks in that post that "they've just barely finished up the work on Prime 1 just a few weeks ago". And he wrote that post on September 23, 2021.

For people who can't watch at work, the exact quote was:
I can say that I've been told pretty definitively that Metroid Prime is going to be—Metroid Prime Remaster—is going to be one of their big holiday games.
To be clear he didn't say it will be the big holiday game.

Sorry but I don't really trust the dude, he changes his predictions literally every week.

If someone starts to fact check all he says, you'd notice the track record isn't great.

Metroid Prime Trilogy remastered has been ready since 2017 according to Imran Khan.

I would love to see it tho.

Will it be GameCube models with massive overhauls to lighting, shadows and textures and 1080p texture? I'm guessing it will get the TP HD or WW treatment.

i don't think nintendo is positioning this as their "big holiday game", that's just what grubb is saying. the big holiday game is clearly pokemon.
Nintendo almost always have there own first party Holiday game as well as Pokémon.

" It was designed from the beginning as a full asset remake of the original Metroid Prime Trilogy"

"After seeing the quality of Retro's level design work on Prime 4 and the quality of their art for the remake, NOJ decided, "Why are we not just having Retro do Prime 4 altogether?"

"I privately messaged Imran back in early 2019 that his reporting was largely wrong. This was not a simple remaster. "

"Retro has put a lot of work in to this project. They've seriously been working on it for years. I hope that can be appreciated. This is not one of Nintendo's usual quick minimalist re-release cash grabs. I think this is the kind of thing we want to see from them and should reward. That's why it irritates me that all this irresponsible reporting from years past is casting a negative shadow over it with people being led to believe Nintendo is just trying to take advantage of the fan base."

"all the art assets have been completely rebuilt from the ground up a la Shadow of the Colossus/Demon's Souls remake. I have not seen the game running so I can't comment on the finished quality of the art remake, but I have heard it's impressive for what it's worth. "

remaster describes the design philosophy of the project (preserve the original game design perfectly) rather than the extent of the graphical upgrade

To be honest I'm kinda done with rumours about MP1 and have set zero expectations for when it will come out and what form it will take.

• MP1 remaster likely November this year
  • MP2 and 3 coming after

For those that didn't watch it.

Edit: He stated that MP1 was getting a bigger remaster treatment than 2/3. Not exactly sure what that would mean.

Also speculated about gyro aiming, dual analog, etc. being added to MP1 and giving us a glimpse of what to expect with MP4 from a control perspective.

Likely means that Prime 1 is getting the full remake treatment, while 2 and 3 will get updated controls and HD textures and not much else.

Please, I need to save some face in the Fantasy League.

If this is the case, I really don't understand what transpired to opt for splitting up the showcases like this, so close together. People get so much more hyped for a general, unified show.
Loaded release schedule for H2, wanted to give third parties proper attention, third party contracts for an E3 week that was canceled, potential hardware reveal for first-party to lead the charge on. Could be a number of things.

I also think their current slate of H2 first-party games needed deep dives, rather than short 2-3 minute trailers. Xenoblade 3 was around a month away and people didn’t know much about it. Splatoon 3 needs one in the worst way. Pokémon still needs a bigger showing.

Sprinkle in Bayo 3, Metroid Prime DE, and Mario+Rabbids, and yeah I can see now why first party announcements took a backseat.

Nobody can say that Nintendo doesn't give a shit about Metroid anymore.

Dread got the OLED slot, and now MP1 remaster is a major holiday title, with 2 and 3 coming to pave the wave for Metroid Prime 4. It's beautiful 😍
34e.gif

If this is the case, I really don't understand what transpired to opt for splitting up the showcases like this, so close together. People get so much more hyped for a general, unified show.
The timing of Nintendo's June Direct has always been dictated by E3. Regardless of what Nintendo is able to or wants to show, the direct has to air the second week of June. With E3 cancelled, Nintendo is no longer constrained by the schedule of the ESA, so if there was something they wanted to show that wasn't going to be ready by June, they can now just wait and show it later. However, Nintendo most likely has contractual obligations to show certain games from their partners in a Direct. So then, what does Nintendo do when they now have the desire and ability to wait a little longer to show their own games, but have a legal obligation to show games from their business partners in a certain timeframe? Enter Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase. This is what happened in 2020 and I'd guess it's what happened this time, too.

They had to show Xenoblade independently because of its release date.

Loaded release schedule for H2, wanted to give third parties proper attention, third party contracts for an E3 week that was canceled, potential hardware reveal for first-party to lead the charge on. Could be a number of things.

I also think their current slate of H2 first-party games needed deep dives, rather than short 2-3 minute trailers. Xenoblade 3 was around a month away and people didn’t know much about it. Splatoon 3 needs one in the worst way. Pokémon still needs a bigger showing.

Sprinkle in Bayo 3, Metroid Prime DE, and Mario+Rabbids, and yeah I can see now why first party announcements took a backseat.
Of those things, only the last, the hardware reveal, is something they don't have to contend with most years, and yet, other than 2020, it's never interfered before.

And you don't need to cover games solely in the Direct, if they wanted to give them deep-dives on their own. There's nothing stopped them from having their own presentations (or just a lot of videos released about them in the lead-up, like Dread). It's common for them to give a short-ish trailer in a Direct and then expound later; Direct reveals and dedicated presentations aren't mutually exclusive.

The timing of Nintendo's June Direct has always been dictated by E3. Regardless of what Nintendo is able to or wants to show, the direct has to air the second week of June. With E3 cancelled, Nintendo is no longer constrained by the schedule of the ESA, so if there was something they wanted to show that wasn't going to be ready by June, they can now just wait and show it later. However, Nintendo most likely has contractual obligations to show certain games from their partners in a Direct. So then, what does Nintendo do when they now have the desire and ability to wait a little longer to show their own games, but have a legal obligation to show games from their business partners in a certain timeframe? Enter Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase. This is what happened in 2020 and I'd guess it's what happened this time, too.

They had to show Xenoblade independently because of its release date.
But it's in those contractual obligations that suggest Nintendo was planning to have some sort of normal presentation, if they still need to adhere to the deal struck with the third-parties, because always intending for just a Partner showcase seems quite unlikely.

I understand some things ultimately may not end up being ready by the air date, but was there so much that went awry that they moved the entirety of their first-party out of the show? In 2020 that made sense, here... that seems a little much. In the past, if something couldn't make the show, there'd be enough still left to not scrap Nintendo's own presence. It seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater here.

Nintendo is scared of doing a general Direct without BotW2 so instead they just bypass them until it will show up.

That's actually the reason.
I agree to an extent.

I think E3 was cancelled, and what was left after BoTW2 being delayed was not enough to justify a general without an event tied to it. So they took this approach and will return to normal in September when it makes more sense to do a blowout for BoTW2 from a releese date standpoint.

And like you said, I am sure the blowback from no BoTW2 reveal in June just further pushed them to the current decision.

Maybe they have another 30+ min of mostly first -party stuff to talk about and then we're like "dang, 50+ min Direct is kinda overkill." 🤷

Splitting it up into two Directs also gives you two opportunities to dominate the headlines.

Of those things, only the last, the hardware reveal, is something they don't have to contend with most years, and yet, other than 2020, it's never interfered before.

And you don't need to cover games solely in the Direct, if they wanted to give them deep-dives on their own. There's nothing stopped them from having their own presentations (or just a lot of videos released about them in the lead-up, like Dread). It's common for them to give a short-ish trailer in a Direct and then expound later; Direct reveals and dedicated presentations aren't mutually exclusive.

But it's in those contractual obligations that suggest Nintendo was planning to have some sort of normal presentation, if they still need to adhere to the deal struck with the third-parties, because always intending for just a Partner showcase seems quite unlikely.

I understand some things ultimately may not end up being ready by the air date, but was there so much that went awry that they moved the entirety of their first-party out of the show? In 2020 that made sense, here... that seems a little much. In the past, if something couldn't make the show, there'd be enough still left to not scrap Nintendo's own presence. It seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater here.
I don’t think anything went awry though. I just think without the week of E3, they’re free to go about the summer in their own way. I’d imagine 2020, for as dire as the release schedule was for a while, had some lightbulbs going off about how to utilize the whole summer.

Remember in 2017, the debut year of the Switch, they had one of their best-selling games come out in July. They’ve been utilizing late June-late July summer release window ever since. It’s a time when the rest of the industry is sort of quiet so there’s no one to compete with. At least that’s how I see it.

I am of the opinion that Nintendo absolutely has to show the first substantial BotW 2 trailer, as well as reveal its title, in their next Direct, and that this reveal will kick off the marketing ramp up until its release in the Spring. I don't think E3 being cancelled and the BotW 2 delay announcement happening at roughly the same time was a coincidence. Once Nintendo knew they weren't bound by E3, they decided to allocate extra time to preparing the full reveal of BotW 2.

Nintendo is scared of doing a general Direct without BotW2 so instead they just bypass them until it will show up.

If BotW2 wasn't ready for a June Direct less than a year before it's supposed to release, I kind of have a hard time imagining it not getting delayed again tbh
Why not just release all 3 at once in the Trilogy format?
This isn't a simple HD version of the game, it's supposed to be a full remake, based on what we've heard

Yup you nailed it.

If Nintendo shows up to a general E3 Direct with no BotW2 and no MP4 and with their only new game announcements being 20 year old Gamecube remasters for $60, they would get absolutely destroyed online.

He also mentioned Prime 2 and 3 are in the works, but will be sprinkled as time goes by.
That makes more logical sense than releasing trilogy at once. Sprinkle them out and release the last game between 6-12 months before prime 4.

I still think a Zelda game of some kind sneaks in to continue the yearly tradition.

Bayonetta 3, Mario+Rabbids 2, Pokemon SV, Metroid Remasters, and Zelda (Ports? 2D game?) would be a very solid holiday for Nintendo.

Im fairly convinced that that Prime 2 will come after Prime 4, it will be a overkill having three Prime games in a short span before Prime 4

Especially because Prime 4 marketing have to start at some point

Maybe they have another 30+ min of mostly first -party stuff to talk about and then we're like "dang, 50+ min Direct is kinda overkill." 🤷

Splitting it up into two Directs also gives you two opportunities to dominate the headlines.
That's the good ending, I guess. Though we have had Directs that push 50 mins before.

And if dominating headlines were their highest priority, they probably would've stopped participating in E3 the years it actually happens, like Sony, considering everyone fights for attention that week.

I don’t think anything went awry though. I just think without the week of E3, they’re free to go about the summer in their own way. I’d imagine 2020, for as dire as the release schedule was for a while, had some lightbulbs going off about how to utilize the whole summer.

Remember in 2017, the debut year of the Switch, they had one of their best-selling games come out in July. They’ve been utilizing late June-late July summer release window ever since. It’s a time when the rest of the industry is sort of quiet so there’s no one to compete with. At least that’s how I see it.
Well, they aren't completely free if they have contractual obligations to show third-parties by a certain date. And if that's the case, that would imply they did have the intent for a show this month, otherwise why make those deals.

And if they're just having a first-party thing next month, which is the hypothetical we're running with right now, I don't understand why they'd bifurcate the two given their proximity, and the much greater hype that comes with doing it together.

And even for Nintendo, just because "they can" seems like sort of specious reasoning, given the only other time they've opted for this was during the shitshow of the pandemic.

I am of the opinion that Nintendo absolutely has to show the first substantial BotW 2 trailer, as well as reveal its title, in their next Direct, and that this reveal will kick off the marketing ramp up until its release in the Spring. I don't think E3 being cancelled and the BotW 2 delay announcement happening at roughly the same time was a coincidence. Once Nintendo knew they weren't bound by E3, they decided to allocate extra time to preparing the full reveal of BotW 2.
Well given BotW2 wasn't originally intended for next year, presumably the plan was always to have a blowout of info about it during the summer showcase, and if anything, the delay made it less likely, as the game was no longer releasing this year (though I agree they probably will have BotW2 stuff during the show, whenever it is).

Given it has been a few months since both E3 was confirmed off and the delay was announced, the difference of late June to sometime in July seems... a little negligible for a game that was, even before those plans, intended for a big showcase, but yeah, it's not impossible.

They may want to tie BotW2 to new hardware, and if they're not ready on that reveal, that could in turn explain the other stuff. But who knows right now.

It was early October, not Christmas. And also, Metroid Dread sales are not "big Christmas game"

Have Nintendo said Metroid Prime is their big Christmas game?

Pokemon clearly is and will sell huge numbers.

Prime will do record Metroid numbers just as it would at any other time of year. Nothing huge but good for the series.

2D loyalists rejoice
As much as I've come to love Dread, I really, really want to see a gorgeous HD pixel art or hand-drawn game for Metroid. True 2D. Like Prime 2D was, or Hollow Knight is.

I doubt it'll ever happen though, too many "muh graphics, $60 for this?!" kinds of people in the gaming space. The same people who poo-poo'd Dread even as a gorgeous 2.5D game.

Back
Top Bottom