• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Hollow Knight: Silksong β€” Pre-release Discussion Thread

I hate that I have to sit through a 2 hour showcase for a system I don’t own just for the small chance to see an advertisement for a game that may or may not exist
That's what I do every time Sony or Square do a presentation 🀷

I hate that I have to sit through a 2 hour showcase for a system I don’t own just for the small chance to see an advertisement for a game that may or may not exist
... Just .. don't? There will be at least two threads the nanosecond it actually shows up in any show, I promise you wont miss.out on anything by actually doing something you enjoy with your time

if you think silksong news of any kind will come out and i won't post it in this thread within three seconds, you are very mistaken.

I'm not afraid of missing Silksong news, I'm afraid of missing the surprise of seeing the trailer pop up unexpectedly.

Yeah that's right, I'm diligently watching presentations for the specific purpose of being surprised by a thing. Yes, I know how dumb that is.

Btw this was the actual calendar reminder I set:

img

I'm not afraid of missing Silksong news, I'm afraid of missing the surprise of seeing the trailer pop up unexpectedly.

Yeah that's right, I'm diligently watching presentations for the specific purpose of being surprised by a thing. Yes, I know how dumb that is.

img

Xbox showcases and Directs are amateur hour for the surprise factor though

I guess what i'm saying is make sure not to miss the THQ Nordic Showcase

Really thought this was gonna be the one. I just figured Schreier wasn’t plugged in or something. I am sad.

The Unexpected Silksong Paradox.

img

Some recent smoke, and then it didn't show up at the events that seemed possible. I guess all eyes turn to the Direct...

img
The Xenoblade title screen at night makes for a very lovely phone lock screen background. Kudos on the excellent choice.

I think there's two potential different reasons why its taking so long, one far more pessimistic than the other.

The first is simply Dev Hell. Which would be sad, and is probably the most likely outcome.

The second is if they're trying to pull a GSC and have Hallownest in Postgame. It would fit the vague description of "scope has greatly increased" we got a while ago, and also be really easy for be dissatisfied with the outcome - iirc the reason silksong was made was because she didn't work well in existing Hallownest. They modify the map to work with silksong, then modify the NPCs, then redo old art to better align with the newer modifications...

It would be really easy to see how that could result in the scenario we're in.

Yeah, the game is in development hell. Probably due to scope creep. It explains the weird radio silence, the delays, all of it. The game was "nearly finished" two years ago and it's clear that statement was either bullshit or the game was so bad they had to go back to the drawing board. I have no faith in this coming out anymore, much less actually being good.

Yeah, the game is in development hell. Probably due to scope creep. It explains the weird radio silence, the delays, all of it. The game was "nearly finished" two years ago and it's clear that statement was either bullshit or the game was so bad they had to go back to the drawing board. I have no faith in this coming out anymore, much less actually being good.
I haven’t been following Silksong that closely but I’m getting big Sports Story vibes from it.

Man, I'm not getting these vibes at all. I get that it is frustrating to not have any updates, but if there's any dev team I trust to make something great, it's Team Cherry.

A game like Hollow Knight is very easy to just keep expanding not only the scope of, but the details as well. I imagine that on top of expanding the world, they have also been adding small story details throughout the entire thing, interesting new tools and whatnot.

Ultimately it's impossible to predict what is really happening as only Team Cherry has knowledge on the game.

Feels like if it was bound to be slated for the Xbox Showcase.

Maybe Nintendo convinced Team Cherry to show it off at the Direct instead to give some noteworthy titles as the Switch sails into the sunset in what is likely the final year as the main system

Man, I'm not getting these vibes at all. I get that it is frustrating to not have any updates, but if there's any dev team I trust to make something great, it's Team Cherry.

A game like Hollow Knight is very easy to just keep expanding not only the scope of, but the details as well. I imagine that on top of expanding the world, they have also been adding small story details throughout the entire thing, interesting new tools and whatnot.

Ultimately it's impossible to predict what is really happening as only Team Cherry has knowledge on the game.
My question is why? Plenty of devs have made great games and failed to follow them up. No game dev is perfect.

I still don't get hopes up for any of these events because I'm expecting TC to have their own separate announcement, like they did when first revealing Silksong. Leth basically said that would be how we next hear about it didn't he?

Last edited:
I literally do not understand this

they never said they were "nearly finished," Xbox put them in a situation where they had to confirm a statement that they certainly didn't choose to make

by that metric, they're only a year past their hoped internal deadline β€” one they didn't choose to announce because they didn't really want to attach a timeframe to it until they were sure.

they have always said it's running on Cherry Time

the first game missed its initial estimated goal by years, and if you account for all of the years it took after that to polish it and release the additional content β€” yeah, Hollow Knight took a long fucking time! Probably seven or more years!

That's how it fuckin' works!

It's a tiny team building big things with complex interactions. They initially planned to launch on two platforms and are now launching on 6+. They've already explained that the rooms take longer to build because Hornet is literally taller and faster, meaning for a scene to feel like a Hollow Knight scene, it needs to be at least 1.5x or 2x the size. And they are matching the scope and scale of Hollow Knight β€” so at an existential matched feel, it'll already be 1.5x or 2x physically bigger at least if they don't surpass that goal!!!

I really don't wanna fucking hear it. Start developing your own game for kicks and get some perspective. This is not an easy or short road.

they're a tiny team, they don't work for anyone, they don't owe anyone anything. it'll come out when it comes out.

they're a tiny team, they don't work for anyone, they don't owe anyone anything. it'll come out when it comes out.
Isn’t it a 3 man team?

Since I haven’t heard anything of hiring from team cherry, with the exception of music.

It’s understandable if it’s still only 3 people working on a sequel that’s 2-3 times bigger than base hollow knight, plus they don’t have to rush the game, since they no longer have to worry about kickstarter.

Isn’t it a 3 man team?

Since I haven’t heard anything of hiring from team cherry, with the exception of music.

It’s understandable if it’s still only 3 people working on a sequel that’s 2-3 times bigger than base hollow knight, plus they don’t have to rush the game, since they no longer have to worry about kickstarter.
they also have playtesters and of course contractors, but the core creative and programming team is three

I have my concerns re: scope creep, but to say that the game won't be good because the game was delayed a year is... a stretch. This stuff takes time, especially with a small dev team like Team Cherry. Good or bad, it'll come when it's ready.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% concerned about scope creep and the radio silence is less than ideal, but I'm sure they're hard at work.

Since the first game did so well, the small independent team should have a lot of money to pay for living and thus can take their time with the sequel. It may mean taking time to make the absolute best version of the game, working reasonable hours due to not having unreasonable deadlines or whatever, but my point is that there is no pressure to get the game out. Taking a long time doesn't necessarily have to mean it's in development hell.

Maybe Team Cherry's "nearly finished" for Silksong is Miyamoto's "nearly finished" for Pikmin 4.

SILKSONG CONFIRMED TO RELEASE IN 2030.

I literally do not understand this

they never said they were "nearly finished," Xbox put them in a situation where they had to confirm a statement that they certainly didn't choose to make

by that metric, they're only a year past their hoped internal deadline β€” one they didn't choose to announce because they didn't really want to attach a timeframe to it until they were sure.

they have always said it's running on Cherry Time

the first game missed its initial estimated goal by years, and if you account for all of the years it took after that to polish it and release the additional content β€” yeah, Hollow Knight took a long fucking time! Probably seven or more years!

That's how it fuckin' works!

It's a tiny team building big things with complex interactions. They initially planned to launch on two platforms and are now launching on 6+. They've already explained that the rooms take longer to build because Hornet is literally taller and faster, meaning for a scene to feel like a Hollow Knight scene, it needs to be at least 1.5x or 2x the size. And they are matching the scope and scale of Hollow Knight β€” so at an existential matched feel, it'll already be 1.5x or 2x physically bigger at least if they don't surpass that goal!!!

I really don't wanna fucking hear it. Start developing your own game for kicks and get some perspective. This is not an easy or short road.
i completely agree with you but they really need to better communicate this to the players long silence only make people assume the worse

I think there'd be a bit less anxiety if Team Cherry at the very least did some kind of yearly or every six months update to explain how things are going.
They're certainly not forced to do it but I'd think it'd help alleviate needless speculation.

I'm personally on the side that they probably expanded the scope of the game overall that is meant to be bigger than base Hollow Knight + DLC and as a small team it's gonna take a while.

Also they hopefully have the financial security to not crunch on the game and even take extended breaks to avoid burnout if they want so that should be taken into account.

maybe they'll release Silksong at the same time as the Switch 2 release date to make a big splash πŸ€” (doubtful but at this point why not)

I do not get the doom and gloom around here. I'd rather they invest their time into making a game than talking about it.

This has been a fascinating dev timeline. Tho I’m hoping the end results is on the positive side.

The first game is highly beloved and would be nice to see those fans get another acclaim game.

I have my concerns re: scope creep, but to say that the game won't be good because the game was delayed a year is... a stretch. This stuff takes time, especially with a small dev team like Team Cherry. Good or bad, it'll come when it's ready.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% concerned about scope creep and the radio silence is less than ideal, but I'm sure they're hard at work.
It's not the delay. It's because of the radio silence. When was the last time Team Cherry (not Leth) talked about the game in public?

My question is why? Plenty of devs have made great games and failed to follow them up. No game dev is perfect.
For me, it's that Team Cherry gets what made Hollow Knight so great.

A lot of talented developers make amazing games, but then when creating a sequel, fail to capture the spirit or fun of their original work. I think this happens because creating something, and understanding the why of what you're creating, are two different things.

Team Cherry not only made an amazing game, they then went on to show through countless interviews and deep dives afterwards that they understand what makes Hollow Knight so special.

I could see potentially that scope creep would cause them to add maybe one too many towns, or perhaps there will be so many tools that many get buried in a pile of redundancy. But still, from everything we've seen them show off, or talk about, Silksong is going to feel and play like Hollow Knight at a fundamental level.

i completely agree with you but they really need to better communicate this to the players long silence only make people assume the worse
people assuming the worst is a people problem Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―

it's not their job to coddle you

they told you they're working on it, they told you they had a date in mind but would be taking more time

if they had more regular updates, it would be the same shit β€” taking a day for a blog post / press release about stuff they don't want to show yet, creating an expectation for increased communication, peeling those days off their dev schedule, and it still wouldn't be enough for y'all

they are already marketing it. they will market it more when a release window is aligned.

you are not owed anyone's online presence.

many developers take a long time and don't say much. Team Cherry is under the enormous weight of millions and millions of eyeballs and expectations, meaning any little move will be met with all sorts of commentary.

they want to show you, not tell you.

let them.

For me, it's that Team Cherry gets what made Hollow Knight so great.

A lot of talented developers make amazing games, but then when creating a sequel, fail to capture the spirit or fun of their original work. I think this happens because creating something, and understanding the why of what you're creating, are two different things.

Team Cherry not only made an amazing game, they then went on to show through countless interviews and deep dives afterwards that they understand what makes Hollow Knight so special.

I could see potentially that scope creep would cause them to add maybe one too many towns, or perhaps there will be so many tools that many get buried in a pile of redundancy. But still, from everything we've seen them show off, or talk about, Silksong is going to feel and play like Hollow Knight at a fundamental level.
I feel like concerns about its quality are especially silly when it was straight-up demoed and felt amazing to play from the very start.

everything is being built up around that core with care.

Feels like it will be the will of the whips was to the blind forest.

Bigger, more options, more skills, more details... And some will prefere the first since the second one looses it a little.

But both are beloved.

Somehow I manage to catch the Xbox showcase for the Summer Games Fest every year despite not actually owning an Xbox (I think the timeslot is better for where I live compared to the other ones or something) and I thought "Oh, surely this time. Surely." But I am a clown 😞 In seriousness though, I hope the game is still on track. I've seen lots of people online say that the game not being shown at the showcase means it's 100% cancelled and it just seems so premature to be saying that especially with no real evidence? I don't know, more communication could be good just to set people's minds at ease, but this is also not really too far beyond the initial timeline anyway and they shouldn't have to. I hope it will be in the Direct (next week is it? I'm not convinced about one this week now it's just turned Tuesday in Japan) but I don't have too high expectations. All we can do is trust it will come in its own time and enjoy it when it gets revealed and comes out

I'd feel a lot better hearing from the actual devs, not a third party marketer.
the guy who is like their friend and an integrated part of the team? who is truly just some dude they knew who organically took on the responsibility? who now does things for other games in the industry by pure virtue of being the Hollow Knight guy?

Leth is as direct as you get until official channel announcements, which won't happen until they're significant. Four months ago, he once again stated that they were working on the game, to the shock of no one β€” except I guess everyone, since no one seems to retain object permanence!

Leth is not some third-party interloper. He's on calls, he's part of schemes, he's getting the blessings to say the shit he says!

Plus, let's not forget he's the voice of Lemm, the Nailsmith, and Cloth's underground noises! and who even knows which characters he'll voice in Silksong...

Back
Top Bottom