• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Hollow Knight: Silksong — Pre-release Discussion Thread

not especially expecting anything tomorrow (though I think it is possible—just not ever getting my hopes up again lol) but honestly part of me still does think the game could release this year

how are we feeling?

also fuck unity but i really think they'll walk back from this crazy move by the time silksong comes out.
Even if Unity Technologies walks back it’s fee-per-installation fuckery, every Unity developer should peace out of that engine as a matter of principle and honestly, preservation. Unity Technologies was willing to screw over an immense amount of people including the major console makers. May not work this time, but it’s only a matter of time before the company tries to dress some weird fees in Groucho nose glasses and try again. “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.”

That said, I’m not expecting to see Silksong on the Nintendo Direct. And I’ll gladly take a delay if Team Cherry chooses to port to a new engine.

how are we feeling?

also fuck unity but i really think they'll walk back from this crazy move by the time silksong comes out.
fuck unity so hard

and like, Hollow Knight is exactly the kind of game that will be punished by this

I seriously doubt TC would change course now — but it’s probably put a slight damper on the mood

like at some point you’ve put so much work into it for so many damn platforms, and when Unity is how they can address so many platforms at the same time… it would be a massive, team-killing move to pivot now. like a massacre. you have to understand. if they changed it now it could actually destroy them.

so I figure they’ll be eating it. not happily. hoping it reverses. maybe sending a letter. but they’re one team and don’t have the level of sway that will be needed here.

but… that is good news for the game coming sooner rather than later!

i hate it though, and it’s going to fuck them over badly

as for whether or not we see it tomorrow…

I haven’t had any useful* hallucinations lately… which means we’re DEFINITELY hearing something! 🤡

*useless

This is a scummy move from Unity of course, but I seriously doubt Team Cherry would be able to "port" Silksong to another engine this late in development. They'll just take the loss and develop on a different engine for the next game.

Hollow Knight has thankfully been successful enough to support Team Cherry for years to come (their own words), and since they are a small dev team it's not like they have a bunch of employees to pay.

Basically, don't worry about this effecting development. It won't, or at least not until they start on their next project.

I'm pretty sure Leth said recently that the next time they announce something it will be directly from themselves. Which came right around when he was discussing the whole Xbox presentation 12 month thing. So I'm assuming that means we won't see it in a Direct or anything until we've heard straight from TC themselves.

Is anyone else getting tired of waiting for Silksong? I was postponing buying another metroidvanias, in case Silksong would release soon, but i gave up on that.

Is anyone else getting tired of waiting for Silksong? I was postponing buying another metroidvanias, in case Silksong would release soon, but i gave up on that.
My hype has died down significantly in the last few months. Honestly, the wait is a lot easier when you're not thinking about it every second of the day.

That being said, I'm sure when a release date is revealed I'll go back to obsessing about it again.

Maybe talking about the game will move things along.

My time with Hollow Knight feels like a dark dream that I had. It's interesting to me that it's so beloved. Not a name brand like Metroid, not as inventive as Ori, and yet many fall into it.
It's like falling into Deepnest.

For me, though, there is a sour note, and I'm keen to hear what people think:
The game is grim. At its best, this is great. The melancholy vibe is something you can sink into, like a good slow song. If I were to describe the mood of Hollow Knight in one word, it would be "elegaic".
But there sadness and then there's sadism. There's no light here. Even what appears to be cute, like the grubs, end up, at best... Weird and disturbing. Our little knight doesn't catch a break.
That's what stays with me. A beautiful sadness, but also a cruelty that i kind of wish wasn't there.

And it's odd to me how widely embraced something so miserable is.

What about you

I mean,,, Dark Souls is pretty grim and very popular too?

True. Maybe I'd feel the same if I'd ever played it. For me, Hollow Knight is kind of painful because I really feel for the bugs. Even just the idea of, like, sapience being a gift that was given, that they treasured, and are now losing. It's sad shit. I can't imagine Dark Souls making me feel empathy like that.

But then I've not played it.

My time with Hollow Knight feels like a dark dream that I had. It's interesting to me that it's so beloved. Not a name brand like Metroid, not as inventive as Ori, and yet many fall into it.

The game is grim. At its best, this is great. The melancholy vibe is something you can sink into, like a good slow song. If I were to describe the mood of Hollow Knight in one word, it would be "elegaic".
But there sadness and then there's sadism. There's no light here. Even what appears to be cute, like the grubs, end up, at best... Weird and disturbing. Our little knight doesn't catch a break.
That's what stays with me. A beautiful sadness, but also a cruelty that i kind of wish wasn't there.

What about you
it’s so much better for it and I love that about it

it’s grim, and weird, and sweet, and hopeful, but full of hubris, despair, but LIFE. LIFE. LIFE carrying on. PEACE in death. LOVE. HOPE.

it is ALIVE

if it is grotesque and cruel it is because the WORLD is

if it is somber and difficult to bear it is because the TRUTH is

but that makes every tender moment and respite feel so much more hard-earned and meaningful

that makes sitting on every bench a moment of peace that feels like it means something

every friend you make is so refreshing and delightful. and frequently tragic. but in meaningful ways.

bugs who don’t know what to live for… you can help them find a new reason.

bugs in mourning — you can give them closure

bugs who fucking suck: you can laugh at their corpses

What about you
That's a strange view. Plenty of people including me like horror and drama, especially when it's not pporly written like a lot of video games are. Fandoms even for the cheerful properties love to depict guro and write grimdark fanfics. Creepypasta has been a thing for years now. Of course, the game never goes that dark, but it satisfies the need for those feelings.

Besides, people love a big cast of characters in which they can latch onto their favorites, as well as mystery they can share theories about.

Silksong was the friends we made along the way, waiting for silksong. I mean, isn't it what's important in the end ? Isn't it ?

Silksong was the friends we made along the way, waiting for silksong. I mean, isn't it what's important in the end ? Isn't it ?
that would be true if Silksong (the concrete entity) didn’t also rule

but it does, and that means we are cast headlong into simultaneous truth: soon, it will be the friends AND the form

the ouroboros has spun back around and my top three predictions are true again

1. February 2024 if they’re being cheeky
2. April 2024 to fuck with mossbag
3. October 2023 to fuck with us

and some new ones

4. May 2024 if Nintendo whispered sweet nothings about aligning with the Succ
5. September 2025 if we’re all to fall on knives

What about you
Suswave said it far better than I can, but I disagree that it’s too grim: It is very melancholic, often grim, and full of tragedy and sadness. But there’s tons of hope interweaved into it as well, lots of life and good to be seen there too. That’s what really makes the game sing, to me.

I don’t really go in for “brutal and depressing for the sake of being brutal and depressing” games, but “melancholy, reflective, sad-but-with-hope-sprinkled-throughout?” That’s my jam, honestly. I love that kind of setting.

Did he ask them about how Silksong is coming along?

Also, since I know how crazy some people can be I'll go ahead and wish this doesn't motivate people to knock on Team Cherry's door to bother them about the game. Don't you dare sour this wholesome story!

Last edited:
Look at them, hangin' around, taking pictures for the lulz.
Now get back to work, how do you expect to get things done, the game won't complete itself dammit

I'm kidding

we got a half a second of silksong in the xbox TGS show

sep-21-202313-45-40jwdrk.gif

Is it just me or does the game seem a lot more monochrome compared to the very first reveal trailer? That one had lots of colour, but ever since the second trailer + all the subsequent footage, every area just seems very grey/brown.

Okay this thread has my attention now. And ISTG while I want this game asap please dont release during Jan-Mar 2024. I already have to make painful choices. Holiday 2023 would be a dream.

Is it just me or does the game seem a lot more monochrome compared to the very first reveal trailer? That one had lots of colour, but ever since the second trailer + all the subsequent footage, every area just seems very grey/brown.
I think they have adjusted the colour scheme in a less saturated direction. It's more subtle than Hollow Knight.

did you make sure to dramatically put on sunglasses before you posted that?
it’s inside nighttime, I’m not going to that effort

I did, however, stand up and actually shout “YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH” out loud while flinging my bra across the living room

so uh

same energy?

it’s inside nighttime, I’m not going to that effort

I did, however, stand up and actually shout “YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH” out loud while flinging my bra across the living room

so uh

same energy?
Better energy

…you’re worried that Greymoor isn’t colorful?

oh right gotta say the thing to make it true

it’s happening!!!

Back
Top Bottom