• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Hollow Knight: Silksong — Pre-release Discussion Thread

You would think that if he is agreeing to an interview he has something to share, right? I think this is a good sign.
Crowsworn, which Leth is also handling the marketing for, just had a new trailer and backer demo release, that's what I'd expect the bulk of the interview to be for

Silksong questions will likely mostly be brushed off. Guy's allowed to do promo for other games he's working on

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much. It doesn't feel like that's a big enough platform to get exclusive big Silksong news. Next time it shows up, I'm betting it will either be at a major MS or Nintendo event.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much. It doesn't feel like that's a big enough platform to get exclusive big Silksong news. Next time it shows up, I'm betting it will either be at a major MS or Nintendo event.

Yep - Indie World or a September Direct. If we don't hear about it at either of those then I highly doubt it's a 2023 game (I doubt it is already, that would just cement it in my mind).

Me, before clicking into this thread: The Silksong thread got bumped. Must be some news on the release date!

Me, after clicking into this thread:
IMG-0394.gif

[I blame only myself for having hopes and dreams.]

It's crazy just how utterly awful Team Cherry are at communicating with their extremely passionate fans.

Four and a half years since that lengthy reveal trailer, and barely anything from them.
It's kinda nice in a way. Not every game needs a heavy marketing schedule to spoil stuff. Besides, I know for a lot of people including myself the less known about this game the better.

If you're talking about just developmental updates though, I'm not really sure what else they could say other than just "we're working on it".

It's kinda nice in a way. Not every game needs a heavy marketing schedule to spoil stuff. Besides, I know for a lot of people including myself the less known about this game the better.

If you're talking about just developmental updates though, I'm not really sure what else they could say other than just "we're working on it".

I'm talking about not revealing a game that looked far into development nearly five years before release with almost complete radio silence since then. I don't want spoiled either and am obviously fine with teams taking their time, but come on.

like what more is there to know at this point… ?

like until there’s truly something to know?

I'm talking about not revealing a game that looked far into development nearly five years before release with almost complete radio silence since then. I don't want spoiled either and am obviously fine with teams taking their time, but come on.
I wonder if they would have revealed it at that time were it not also the promised Kickstarter-backed DLC.

yeah, that's pretty much it. if they had not promised kickstarter backers the dlc i doubt they would have felt the need to announce silksong back in 2019. in the end tho it's worked out pretty well for them, it has kept the fanbase talking and speculating for years, kept the original game popular and silksong is hands down one the most anticipated and hyped game releases ever.

I'm so excited for Silksong, but I can't help but be a bit worried over the radio silence. Not necessarily because development might be going bad, but because the game is still growing and they're still actively working on new stuff. Hollow Knight was already huge, but each area was incredibly memorable and easy to go back to. I'm somewhat worried that scope creep will cause the game to be too big, to the point of being bloated.

Despite that, I have faith though. Hoping the project is coming along smoothly, and that the team isn't overworking themselves.

I'm so excited for Silksong, but I can't help but be a bit worried over the radio silence. Not necessarily because development might be going bad, but because the game is still growing and they're still actively working on new stuff. Hollow Knight was already huge, but each area was incredibly memorable and easy to go back to. I'm somewhat worried that scope creep will cause the game to be too big, to the point of being bloated.

Despite that, I have faith though. Hoping the project is coming along smoothly, and that the team isn't overworking themselves.
realistically, though, it’s testing the bigness that’s making things extra lengthy

like they had a notion, and they’ve gone much larger than that notion to make it feel the size of Hollow Knight when you have a character that is both taller and more agile

it may end up being bigger by feel in a forced scaled comparison, too — but a lot of what they’ve talked about is needing to make it bigger to feel as big as Hollow Knight

so if you, say, have a game that’s technically 1.5x the size, or hell, even double-size as your base goal

that takes a small team a lot longer to test, especially with a massive multi-platform release that they didn’t originally plan on

multiply that with the complexity of the new systems… and that’s a lot!!

I don’t think it’s dissolving into some mess or anything — I just think a lot of us here don’t give testing and design the consideration it deserves, and how tightening a seam somewhere can have a huge ripple effect

Last edited:
I know there are some people who consider Hollow Knight to be too big. And there are some, who are not necessarily part of the former group, that are worried Silksong will be too big.

But I'm one of those lunatics who want them to go bigger and more complex. Like, increase the size of the map, go crazy with alternative routes to get to different places, give us even more goals that can be completed in whatever order we want to, and etc.

Hollow Knight was such a majestic experience because of those qualities, and now I just want to feel that again, maybe to an even larger degree.

realistically, though, it’s testing the bigness that’s making things extra lengthy

like they had a notion, and they’ve gone much larger than that notion to make it feel the size of Hollow Knight when you have a character that is both taller and more agile

it may end up being bigger by feel in a forced scaled comparison, too — but a lot of what they’ve talked about is needing to make it bigger to feel as big as Hollow Knight

so if you, say, have a game that’s technically 1.5x the size, or hell, even double-size as your base goal

that takes a small team a lot longer to test, especially with a massive multi-platform release that they didn’t originally plan on

multiply that with the complexity of the new systems… and that’s a lot!!

I don’t think it’s dissolving into some mess or anything — I just think a lot of us here don’t give testing and design the consideration it deserves, and how tightening a seam somewhere can have a huge ripple effect
Oh 100%. Even if they adjust something "simple" like movement speed or jump height, they'd have to go and test the entire map to make sure areas are still accessible and that enemy encounters still work, so I can imagine adding flat out new content takes a load of time to test. I'm sure the game will turn out fine. Just a small part of me worried that it won't be lol

But I'm one of those lunatics who want them to go bigger and more complex. Like, increase the size of the map, go crazy with alternative routes to get to different places, give us even more goals that can be completed in whatever order we want to, and etc.
agreed. i loved how big and expansive hollow knight was, i found the criticism that is was bloated and should be smaller nonsensical.

gettin’ the hallucinations again

doubtful but last time I rolled these dice something happened, just not what we wanted

there was literally never going to be anything in that interview; it’s not their venue of choice

interviewer had fun hyping it up but like damn was it transparent

which is to say no, I absolutely did not listen, lmao

damn I really need to stop bumping this thread or people are gonna think something’s happening

given my track record it’ll be next Tuesday and some unheard-of indie game called Howl Knife Sinkson will shadowdrop on Switch

maybe I was like remembering what day I get paid next week and it manifested as an afterimage of tall isolated numbers in the bathroom mirror and a targeted sudden lack of sound in the high mids

who knows with me! i’m a mess!

that was a pretty interesting interview, didn't know leth had a pretty long history in game development before shifting to pr/marketing

edit: just looking for scraps, he did say something like it's been a long time since there's been a blog post, the next one should be interesting, something like that

It's crazy just how utterly awful Team Cherry are at communicating with their extremely passionate fans.

Four and a half years since that lengthy reveal trailer, and barely anything from them.

The Summer 22 trailer was very substantial, and it was planned to be released already, so we know they're very far along. It could be far, far worse.

Orrr maybe they rush to get Silksong out this year before the new policy comes into place so at least the launch/early sales aren't taxed...

I gotta find hope somewhere

Any chance of this Unity thing blowing up in their faces so hard that they backtrack it?

They already backtracked a little, but this shit is still bad, they broke the trust. It's probably cheaper to just port the game to another engine...

Back
Top Bottom