• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I hope I haven't made the mistake of being a picky pc gamer, I'll still buy the switch2 for my favorite games, it's just that I do realize that the hardware specs of the switch2 are completely customized for first party development, and only first party games will be able to reach the full potential of that hardware spec.
Its more the fact that a handheld capable of having the same performance as PS5 would be:

1: Incredibly expensive.

2: Incredibly low battery life.

Meaning the Switch 2 would be dead on arrival if it tried to go that route. So Nintendo have just designed the Switch 2 to be as capable as possible while also not being too costly and have too low battery life.

This is why I personally prefer native resolution vs DLSS. I think there's to much focus on this software feature in this thread. And I don't see every game using it on Switch 2. It would be nice to have it as an optional toggle for those who do want it and those who don't. I was critiqued for being not excited about DLSS and even considered it a detrimental effect. I do respect a good counter argument but the only counter argument I seen is better lighting and more lazy ports with less optimization. Id prefer wonderful ports with awesome optimization. I do understand that it's basically fancy AA. I usually turn AA, DOF, and motion blur off if I have the option.
You can get lazy ports even without DLSS. 🥰

I've lost all hope that switch2 will improve the blurriness of third party ports of dlss, but after all I can live with Death Stranding's dlss blurriness and I'm afraid it's not even an issue for more people.

In the meantime I do wonder how first party games can avoid texture blur caused by dlss when designing textures.

Its more the fact that a handheld capable of having the same performance as PS5 would be:

1: Incredibly expensive.

2: Incredibly low battery life.

Meaning the Switch 2 would be dead on arrival if it tried to go that route. So Nintendo have just designed the Switch 2 to be as capable as possible while also not being too costly and have too low battery life.
3: Not physically possible.

No, really. That handheld cannot be made period with the technology currently available, and the near future doesn't seem too promising to make such a device either. Price and battery life are the least of its hypothetical concerns, the best we can aspire to at the moment is approaching series s performance, and even then it's not all that close.

Last edited:
I don't care how much of an improvement it is over the switch, I care more about the actual experience, the fact is that due to a long history of using high end pc's and ps5's I've had a hard time accepting that this realistic style of gaming is running at lower quality graphic settings as well as resolutions, it could just be that I'm overestimating the things that the switch2 is capable of carrying.
From all of your posts, I can see that you are not the Switch 2 target gamer. You have so high demands. You mush better stay at 200 watt console & PC (including 15 - 25 watt PC handhelds) than +- 10 watt Switch 2

I've lost all hope that switch2 will improve the blurriness of third party ports of dlss, but after all I can live with Death Stranding's dlss blurriness and I'm afraid it's not even an issue for more people.

In the meantime I do wonder how first party games can avoid texture blur caused by dlss when designing textures.
you can't use one game to judge dlss. it's just a black box. good data in, good data out. it's really up to the devs to make it work best

To be honest, it's because of the Series S that has given people more hope of what 3rd-parties could achieve with Switch². Doesn't matter if the RTX 2050 has greater raw power than Switch² will ever have because the 2050 is restricted on VRAM and the PC environment. It's been noted (not confirmed) that Switch² is supposedly able to run The Matrix Awakens demo, whereas any PC using the 2050 cannot run it properly. Series S can run it using an internal resolution of 533p to 648p, upscaled to 1080p (which is handled using GPU resources rather than something dedicated like tensor cores). Complaints about the Series S from developers has mainly revolved around the 10GB RAM capacity and its split in speeds. Two things which Switch² isn't nearly affected by that with 12GB, plus unlikely to allocate as much RAM to the OS.

Hopefully we'll have a chance to actually see that Switch 2 Matrix Awakens demo for ourselves. It could be part of the unveiling when they reveal this thing.

you can't use one game to judge dlss. it's just a black box. good data in, good data out. it's really up to the devs to make it work best
You're right, that's why I've often said doom eternal is the best case for dlss because it demonstrates that almost all dlss modes cause no real performance loss, which is shocking, but I can't presuppose that most games will be as optimized for dlss as it is. I'm testing 2077 to see how it goes.

But will the DLSS get upgrades or stick to one pre-defined version per model, this is the question

the DLSS on the Switch 2 should get updates as Nvidia puts them out which gives developers more tools to work on games in development or polish the ones already released. I remember reading an article back in March about the devkit being updated and it was probably DLSS (https://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-2-update-one-step-further/)

the DLSS on the Switch 2 should get updates as Nvidia puts them out which gives developers more tools to work on games in development or polish the ones already released. I remember reading an article back in March about the devkit being updated and it was probably DLSS (https://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-2-update-one-step-further/)
I'm sorry, but Nash is a known fake leaker, and this thread had this message reposted a long time ago, and considering Nash's credibility, this rumor isn't very credible.

For many years now, my two primary platforms are the Switch and PC -- the former for Nintendo games, multiplayer with family, and when portability/convenience is more important, and the latter for when I want graphical fidelity. I have a PS4 but I honestly haven't touched it in ages and it was primarily so I can play Kingdom Hearts 3 - which is now on Steam haha.

There are some titles I'm missing out on, but there's very little that isn't or will not be multiplatform and released on PC sooner or later, even if they release on PS5 first.

I’ve pretty much just gone all Switch…I don’t even want to turn on my PS5 or Series X, they both just feel so blah to me.

I only turn on the XSX to play Fortnite or Rocket League with my family…haven’t even turned the PS5 in months, was a wasted purchase TBH.

It’s one of the big reasons I’m so excited for Switch 2 and can’t wait for it….having one console I can dedicate all my time and $$ to just works better for me. I’m all in.

Not going to comment about any dev kits specifically, but I can say that it is not uncommon for dev kits to get updates and DLSS API integration is set up to take advantage of that, even in a closed environment.

EDIT:

I'm speaking from direct experience as a dev with access to NVIDIA tools that integrate with proprietary SDKs, but you don't need to take my word for it if you're willing to register as an NVIDIA developer and see for yourself.

Last edited:
I hope I haven't made the mistake of being a picky pc gamer
I genuinely don't think it's a mistake! You play on the platform that gives you the best experience!

For me, I prefer the graphically superior option, but I also like to play beside my partner while she watches documentaries on TV in a language that I do not speak. Playing in handheld is the better experience for me, even if I want better graphics. As long as you don't judge others for their preferences, no one ought to judge you for yours.

He is wrong, the odds are that the version of dlss built into each game on switch2 is a fixed sku that won't be upgraded at any time, but switch2 is compatible with more advanced versions.But as the conclusion of the previous discussion, the Ampere architecture has lost frame generation on dlss3, and the future dlss4 will have more new technologies that won't be compatible with Ampere.

I don't think I would make such a definitive claim.
Ray reconstruction was introduced with the Lovelace generation of cards, but both the 20 and 30 Series cards also benefit from the update.

3: Not physically possible.

No, really. That handheld cannot be made period with the technology currently available, and the near future doesn't seem too promising to make such a device either. Price and battery life are the least of its hypothetical concerns, the best we can aspire to at the moment is approaching series s performance, and even then it's not all that close.
To play devil's advocate... I think it'd be more accurate to say no commercially competitive handheld on par with PS5 can be made with current technology. If you're okay with having Sega Nomad-tier battery life, having to play through oven mitts because of how hot it gets, and a 'handheld' that weighs two pounds, all for the low, low price of $999, then I firmly believe the technology is there. You 'just' need a massive SoC and a laptop battery.

It would probably look more like a portable DVD player than a handheld, so I guess you're right after all. Something like...

Sony-PSone-Console-wScreen-Open-FL.jpg

For real though, PS5 draws 200W on 7nm. On 3nm, with a wider and slower design, I'm sure you could hit 10Tflops with 40W or less, then 20 watts for an ARM CPU of eight performance cores clocked around 3.5Ghz, add in RAM, storage, screen, and with everything pushed to PS5-equivalent performance* you really could get an hour of battery life off a 75Wh laptop battery. It's a stupid idea, but it is possible.

And now I kind of want one.

*I admit memory and storage might be bandwidth constrained versus PS5, even in this highly-optimistic napkin math. But that's the sole concession.

I don't think I would make such a definitive claim.
Ray reconstruction was introduced with the Lovelace generation of cards, but both the 20 and 30 Series cards also benefit from the update.
I'm certainly aware that ray reconstruction works on both Turing and Ampere, but if NVIDIA needs to keep pushing it's high end graphics cards, it's basically a logically inevitable fact that older architectures will lose more new technology.

He is wrong, the odds are that the version of dlss built into each game on switch2 is a fixed sku that won't be upgraded at any time, but switch2 is compatible with more advanced versions.But as the conclusion of the previous discussion, the Ampere architecture has lost frame generation on dlss3, and the future dlss4 will have more new technologies that won't be compatible with Ampere.
There's no basis to say this? One of the perks of having an rtx card in your console, is that Nvidia is constantly refining the software.

Yes Nvidia might introduce new technologies that requires specific hardware (like frame gen) and that leaves out Drake, but they will also continue to improve existing technologies and might introduce new ones that runs on Ampere.

There's no reason to think Nintendo won't benefit from that imo.

There's no basis to say this? One of the perks of having an rtx card in your console, is that Nvidia is constantly refining the software.

Yes Nvidia might introduce new technologies that requires specific hardware (like frame gen) and that leaves out Drake, but they will also continue to improve existing technologies and might introduce new ones that runs on Ampere.

If you're referring to SR, I've already said many days ago that drake will definitely benefit from the improvements in SR that came after dlss4, even including the ray reconstruction follow-on (I'm not sure if dlss3.5 is a full version of this technology), I'm referring to the fact that more brand new technologies that were added only after dlss4 will most likely not be implemented on the Ampere anymore.

Specifically with regards to Frame Generation -- that's commonly seen as off-the-table because, as-is, it's strength is taking already high framerates (e.g. 60fps) and making them silly high. But it might be that Nvidia improves at Frame Generation at more modest framerates like the one Nintendo games will likely aim for. A lot can happen in ten years and, as far as we know, Drake has the OFA.

To play devil's advocate... I think it'd be more accurate to say no commercially competitive handheld on par with PS5 can be made with current technology. If you're okay with having Sega Nomad-tier battery life, having to play through oven mitts because of how hot it gets, and a 'handheld' that weighs two pounds, all for the low, low price of $999, then I firmly believe the technology is there. You 'just' need a massive SoC and a laptop battery.

It would probably look more like a portable DVD player than a handheld, so I guess you're right after all. Something like...

For real though, PS5 draws 200W on 7nm. On 3nm, with a wider and slower design, I'm sure you could hit 10Tflops with 40W or less, then 20 watts for an ARM CPU of eight performance cores clocked around 3.5Ghz, add in RAM, storage, screen, and with everything pushed to PS5-equivalent performance* you really could get an hour of battery life off a 75Wh laptop battery. It's a stupid idea, but it is possible.

And now I kind of want one.

*I admit memory and storage might be bandwidth constrained versus PS5, even in this highly-optimistic napkin math. But that's the sole concession.
Yeah... That's not a handheld, might as well call it a laptop. Even then, it will not get close to a PS5 because of memory bandwidth in the real world, can't fool physics for this one. You can see the outcome of this "bigger high clocked chip" idea without the bandwidth to back it up by looking at the Z1 Extreme handhelds.

Last edited:
To be honest, it's because of the Series S that has given people more hope of what 3rd-parties could achieve with Switch². Doesn't matter if the RTX 2050 has greater raw power than Switch² will ever have because the 2050 is restricted on VRAM and the PC environment. It's been noted (not confirmed) that Switch² is supposedly able to run The Matrix Awakens demo, whereas any PC using the 2050 cannot run it properly. Series S can run it using an internal resolution of 533p to 648p, upscaled to 1080p (which is handled using GPU resources rather than something dedicated like tensor cores). Complaints about the Series S from developers has mainly revolved around the 10GB RAM capacity and its split in speeds. Two things which Switch² isn't nearly affected by that with 12GB, plus unlikely to allocate as much RAM to the OS.
Remember when the 360 had 32 MB of the ram reserved for the OS? Pepperidge farm remembers.

Not going to comment about any dev kits specifically, but I can say that it is not uncommon for dev kits to get updates and DLSS API integration is set up to take advantage of that, even in a closed environment.

EDIT:

I'm speaking from direct experience as a dev with access to NVIDIA tools that integrate with proprietary SDKs, but you don't need to take my word for it if you're willing to register as an NVIDIA developer and see for yourself.
Definitely talking about the Xbox Series devkit. I totally knew it was getting DLSS.

the best we can aspire to at the moment is approaching series s performance, and even then it's not all that close.

I'd like to think, based on everything we know about the Switch 2, that it can get surprisingly close to the Series S in performance in Docked Mode. The CPU is much better than on the PS4/PS4 Pro and, where it lacks in horsepower, it has a better upscaler, ray-tracing, and the like. Not the same, but certainly close.

As per our banned content list, please do not bring up Cyberpunk 2077. - Lord Azrael, Tangerine_Cookie, IsisStormDragon, meatbag
I'm thinking if I were to test what settings the switch2 would play 2077 on what gear would I need to set the graphics to?Medium?As well as which gear can ray tracing be turned on?I'm going to still use the 1440p output resolution as a reference.

I'd like to think, based on everything we know about the Switch 2, that it can get surprisingly close to the Series S in performance in Docked Mode. The CPU is much better than on the PS4/PS4 Pro and, where it lacks in horsepower, it has a better upscaler, ray-tracing, and the like. Not the same, but certainly close.
The switch 2 has a better chance because of everything you mentioned and having a superior architecture, but the AMD chips used on high end PC handhelds so far can barely outpace a 2013 PS4 in raster GPU performance, like the Z1 Extreme in question.

I was thinking of something more among the lines of a Surface Pro 1 with game controls tacked on. That device is very thick for a tablet, and when you combine that with its length and height, you could conceivably fit a few vapor chambers and other cooling tricks in there. Combine that with something like an RTX 4070M, and...I'm not sure how close that would get to the PS5, but it's interesting to think about even though it would be completely impractical.

Someone here said that anything is CPU bound, the Series S will perform better and GPU bound would be a toss up, right?

Someone here said that anything is CPU bound, the Series S will perform better and GPU bound would be a toss up, right?
Yeah right, the gpu comparisons are each a winner and a loser, but the cpu is really the bottleneck for switch2, even though there aren't a lot of games that really need to use a lot of cpu performance at the moment (Baldur's Gate 3 and DD2 are two of them)

I understand all of yall are probably alot more techy about stuff than I am (I only learned what DLSS was after the gamescom rumors first broke out) but personally I’m completely fine with a Switch 2 that can balance good graphical fidelity and good performance. As long as it’s capable of last-gen games at least with a steady framerate, I’m signed up. Anything more than that is simply icing on the cake for me. Idk if it’s just because I’m more used to Nintendo hardware over other consoles or PC, but that’s just my personal opinion.

I hope I haven't made the mistake of being a picky pc gamer, I'll still buy the switch2 for my favorite games, it's just that I do realize that the hardware specs of the switch2 are completely customized for first party development, and only first party games will be able to reach the full potential of that hardware spec.

I don’t think Nintendo only designed their console for first party. Everything we know about Switch 2 is leading to a very well balanced device with no obvious bottlenecks or things that missing because Nintendo doesn’t need them. Plus if that dev anecdote is valid, Nintendo have called devs out for not asking for stuffs when they want them. According to that, if devs want it, Nintendo will try to provide it if it’s possible and cost effective. Possible and cost effective being the key words. Same as every other console makers.

I don’t think Nintendo only designed their console for first party. Everything we know about Switch 2 is leading to a very well balanced device with no obvious bottlenecks or things that missing because Nintendo doesn’t need them. Plus if that dev anecdote is valid, Nintendo have called devs out for not asking for stuffs when they want them. According to that, if devs want it, Nintendo will try to provide it if it’s possible and cost effective. Possible and cost effective being the key words. Same as every other console makers.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Switch 2 will be the most collaborated console with third party to date.

Since I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo at the beginning were thinking about 8-10GB ram, until they went and asked for input, which would explain the 12GB ram we got, since some developer has faced low ram issues with the Series S.

Last edited:
I'm just considering the fact that they can only show off the amazing graphical technology of this device on first party games, and I can't be satisfied at all with third party utilization of this device if it's generally similar to something like Alan Wake2.

It's just my personal request, I can't accept that realistic style high fidelity games need to go through drastic cuts for me to play them, I would choose to play them on pc.

Yeah... That's not a handheld, might as well call it a laptop. Even then, it will not get close to a PS5 because of memory bandwidth in the real world, can't fool physics for this one. You can see the outcome of this "bigger high clocked chip" idea without the bandwidth to back it up by looking at the Z1 Extreme handhelds.
If the screen were on the top like a tablet instead of being a clamshell, and it had controls on the side, that wouldn't be much different from a Steam Deck in size. The picture is of a PS One, not PS1.

To be clear, I'm not talking about a literal PS5 Portable using an AMD APU. I mean any means possible using current technology to reach real performance equivalent to a PS5.

Suppose this hypothetical device used GDDR6. With a 192-bit memory bus and faster memory (18Gbps vs 14Gbps), we can close enough to PS5 bandwidth that the difference is negligible, and it would cost the power budget something like 20W. For a device like Super Switch that's an unholy power draw, but for something already drawing 70+ watts it's still ill-advised (which is why my original post didn't suppose it) but possible.

My argument is that the technology is there, if someone had the will and a few hundred million dollars to burn. I know that it's a bad idea, that it would be heavy and hot and have battery life that could be measured with an egg timer, but there's no physical or technological barrier to its existence today. And every year technology will improve a little here and there to make that battery life tolerable: more efficient memory, more efficient process nodes for the SoC. TSMC plans to lower power consumption vs N3E 40% by the second half of 2026, that's only two years away. LPDDR6 will be able to hit the same speeds as the memory PS5 uses, for less power. Samsung plans to commercialize energy dense solid-state batteries by 2027. Suddenly in just three years our battery life can go from 55m to 2.5h.

Even in 2027 it would be hot and expensive though, so I want to clarify for the third time that I do not think this is a good idea. PS5 isn't optimized for energy efficiency, and it's on a process node two generations old. I want to prove the point that while tech hasn't reached the point we can have a good handheld that powerful, we can have a bad one that powerful, and one that's 'okay' is foreseeable.

Since I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo at the beginning were thinking about 8-10GB ram, until they went and asked for input, which would explain the 12GB ram we got, since some developer has faced low ram issues with the Series S.
nah, Nintendo engineers are still engineers. they'll want as much ram as can be crammed into the device. they would have asked for 12GB as well (or more since that's possible) and got it because the bean counters could fit it into the budget

If the screen were on the top like a tablet instead of being a clamshell, and it had controls on the side, that wouldn't be much different from a Steam Deck in size. The picture is of a PS One, not PS1.

To be clear, I'm not talking about a literal PS5 Portable using an AMD APU. I mean any means possible using current technology to reach real performance equivalent to a PS5.

Suppose this hypothetical device used GDDR6. With a 192-bit memory bus and faster memory (18Gbps vs 14Gbps), we can close enough to PS5 bandwidth that the difference is negligible, and it would cost the power budget something like 20W. For a device like Super Switch that's an unholy power draw, but for something already drawing 70+ watts it's still ill-advised (which is why my original post didn't suppose it) but possible.

My argument is that the technology is there, if someone had the will and a few hundred million dollars to burn. I know that it's a bad idea, that it would be heavy and hot and have battery life that could be measured with an egg timer, but there's no physical or technological barrier to its existence today. And every year technology will improve a little here and there to make that battery life tolerable: more efficient memory, more efficient process nodes for the SoC. TSMC plans to lower power consumption vs N3E 40% by the second half of 2026, that's only two years away. LPDDR6 will be able to hit the same speeds as the memory PS5 uses, for less power. Samsung plans to commercialize energy dense solid-state batteries by 2027. Suddenly in just three years our battery life can go from 55m to 2.5h.

Even in 2027 it would be hot and expensive though, so I want to clarify for the third time that I do not think this is a good idea. PS5 isn't optimized for energy efficiency, and it's on a process node two generations old. I want to prove the point that while tech hasn't reached the point we can have a good handheld that powerful, we can have a bad one that powerful, and one that's 'okay' is foreseeable.
Just to put in perspective the numbers you threw around here, 75W+ is where the power consumption of a fat PS4 (a home console) starts, with peaks of 156W when pushed. A 192 bits GDDR6 interface is going to ballon that way more, the existing turbo mode of the Rog Ally peaks at 30W... Your math is extremely optimistic and even then, is that even the power consumption of a handheld device anymore? Saying the tech is there right now with the statistics you pitched even as an spitball is... unfounded, at least.

Last edited:
All we need is 4nm TSMC and we're golden.

Remember that TSMC 4N is a 5nm node, not 4. The name tricks everyone all the time haha.

But on that note, here's a thought experiment for everyone:

Based on all the currently available information, what does everyone estimate the clock speeds (and as such - the performance) to be if it's 8NM or if it's 4N (aka 5nm)?

The amount of dooming sometimes gets concerning, when it happens.

Remember that TSMC 4N is a 5nm node, not 4. The name tricks everyone all the time haha.

But on that note, here's a thought experiment for everyone:

Based on all the currently available information, what does everyone estimate the clock speeds (and as such - the performance) to be if it's 8NM or if it's 4N (aka 5nm)?
8N?
400MHz portable, 800MHz docked GPU
CPU: ~1.2GHz

4N?
550MHz portable, 1100MHz docked GPU
CPU: 1.8-2.1GHz

The switch 2 has a better chance because of everything you mentioned and having a superior architecture, but the AMD chips used on high end PC handhelds so far can barely outpace a 2013 PS4 in raster GPU performance, like the Z1 Extreme in question.
Well, the situation with PC handhelds is that they are still tied to the PC environment, and even with being AMD chips having RDNA2/3, they don't have full parity with their desktop/laptop counterparts, missing things like Infinity Cache.

Well, the situation with PC handhelds is that they are still tied to the PC environment, and even with being AMD chips having RDNA2/3, they don't have full parity with their desktop/laptop counterparts, missing things like Infinity Cache.
Indeed, Switch 2 will do significantly better at approaching Series S performance when docked. Nvidia isn't the only GPU IP though... reaching that level of performance has proven extremely difficult, even in so called "turbo modes". Switch 2 will reach it and surpass it no doubt, no need for some to go out there and preemptively claim PS4 performance is "enough" or whatever.

Indeed, Switch 2 will do significantly better at approaching Series S performance when docked. Nvidia isn't the only GPU IP though... reaching that level of performance has proven extremely difficult, even in so called "turbo modes". Switch 2 will reach it and surpass it no doubt, no need to go out there precautiously claiming PS4 performance is "enough" or whatever.

pjimage-2021-05-12T133108.214.jpg

That and let's remember that the Playstation 4 gave us games that look like this. If you told me this was a game released this past year on the PS5 and not on a console eight years ago, I'd believe you.

Even if the Switch 2 really was only as good as a Playstation 4, I don't think anyone can bemoan the power of a PS4 portably in your hands - and we know we're getting effectively a PS4 at minimum.

This is why I say things like "this is the final frontier". On some level, it doesn't matter how good the Switch 2 is compared to a PS4, PS4 Pro, or Xbox Series S. It's going to be capable of pulling this off and without lots of duct tape and glue like Mortal Kombat was on the current Switch.

Once you get to this level, there really isn't anywhere left to go. Sony and Microsoft have been here for a long while, but Nintendo is finally joining the party. Whether we see games mostly in 2k or 4k (I'm betting the former), or if Nathan Drake is missing a few polygons in his hair, I'm hyped to see what Nintendo does with their 9th gen console because where is there really left to go from here?

Last edited:
pjimage-2021-05-12T133108.214.jpg

That and let's remember that the Playstation 4 gave us games that look like this. If you told me this was a game released this past year on the PS5 and not ona console eight years ago, I'd believe you.

Even if the Switch 2 really was only as good as a Playstation 4, I don't think anyone can bemoan the power of a PS4 portably in your hands.
Definitely a landmark example for a 2016 title with top tier talent put into it! You can bemoan in that it won't be able to keep itself relevant for third party publishers well into the current generation, but in terms of feats achieved in a vacuum one certainly cannot complain. Luckily for everyone, it will be more powerful and bring in many modern features on par with the home consoles which have been throughly discussed in this thread.

Even if the Switch 2 really was only as good as a Playstation 4, I don't think anyone can bemoan the power of a PS4 portably in your hands - and we know we're getting effectively a PS4 at minimum.
PS4 at minimum in terms of raw GPU power. This isn't even counting an improvement of architecture of at least 7 years with regards to similar capabilities, and then adding technologies on top of that like hardware ray tracing and DLSS. Like, a game on PS4 running at 1080p30 (because of the CPU) could be natively rendered at 540p60 on Switch 2, estimating a reduction of processing by half in a simple/inaccurate term, and upscaled via DLSS Performance mode to 1080p60 for portable mode. They could even throw the entirety of PS4-equivilent power into that 540p60 scenario for greater detail/effects.

Uncharted4 is unquestionably behind the curve for 9th gen technical standards by any standard (especially considering it's a 2016 game), and the 3rd party benchmark target for switch2 should be the next gen version of Death Stranding and next gen version of some game that can't be mentioned, not Uncharted4.

By the time Nintendo started using Virtual Geometry and RT technology, the graphical caliber of a game like Uncharted 4, which was entirely an 8th generation game, no longer needed to be used as a reference. Please still focus on 9th gen games instead of 8th gen games.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom