• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

This is why I personally prefer native resolution vs DLSS. I think there's to much focus on this software feature in this thread. And I don't see every game using it on Switch 2. It would be nice to have it as a optional toggle for those who do want it and those who don't. I was critiqued for being not excited about DLSS and even considered it a detrimental effect. I do respect a good counter argument but the only counter argument I seen is better lighting and more lazy ports with less optimization. Id prefer wonderful ports with awesome optimization. I do understand that it's basically fancy AA. I usually turn AA, DOF, and motion blur off if I have the option.
In fact dlss is the shortcut to high resolution for switch2, without dlss most switch2 games would still hover around 1080p.

I feel like this is largely coming down to personal preference on image sharpness. In the one picture the box looks a bit blurred to me, but in the other it looks unnaturally sharp to an even bigger degree
I really don't think it's a matter of preference, notice the text on the cargo box in the first picture and the obvious blurring on the handle grips, if you think it's clearer than the second picture then I really don't know what I should say.

There's something that intrigues me, assuming a March 2025 launch for the successor. What happened for Nintendo to need more than eight (08) years to release their Next Gen Hardware?
They didn't need 8 years, they just decided to take 8 years. In an ideal world, no new hardware is ever required. The insanity of a world where some television and movies were exclusive to some brands of television, and periodic upgrades were required to play the latest shows.

Nintendo obviously could have released new hardware years ago, if they wanted. Not as powerful and/or cheap as the hardware we're going to get, but they still could have done it. They also could have skipped new hardware entirely for a few more years. There is no technological reason to keep next Mario for the new hardware, or Mario Kart 10, or Luigi's Mansion 4, or 3D Kirby 2, or Donkey Kong Country 6...

Nintendo could continue to sell hardware mostly as replacements and upgrades, lowering the price to increase volume, and churning out their incredible first party games for another 5 or 6 years, and still be tapping their main franchises less than their competitors. The problem isn't internal, it's external. 3rd party games would dry up as Switch got left behind technically, first party games would stagnate visually even if gameplay-wise they remained innovative, and Microsoft and Sony would smell blood in the water and make a play to claim the handheld market that was financially ready to buy new hardware that Nintendo simply wasn't selling them.

Nintendo would probably also run into talent retention problems if they didn't let their most talented developers and designers pursue new challenges outside the limitations of the existing hardware. They'd have gamer retention problems as folks ready to buy a new console were only presented with competitors as options, potentially leaving the Nintendo ecosystem, and not coming back.

These are the reasons that Nintendo are going to eventually make a next generation device. But their device is so popular, and their game development has been so rock solid, they could afford to wait. And I think we're likely getting a much more powerful device because of that wait. Nintendo knows the next generation will also probably be long, so they need hardware that will age well, and they designed the system with cutting edge technology, knowing that an extra year of waiting won't significantly age the hardware, but will significantly drive down costs.

I really don't think it's a matter of preference, notice the text on the cargo box in the first picture and the obvious blurring on the handle grips, if you think it's clearer than the second picture then I really don't know what I should say.
Yes, that specific area of the image is blurrier. That doesn't mean that overall one image is clearly better than the other. The second image is also covered in aliasing artifacts.

Because of the way that TAA works, it can antialias lines inside of texture (unlike MSAA), at the cost of blurring of that texture. For most people, that blurring is worth the end of jaggies, and the visual noise in movement. For a minority of people the in-texture blurring is much worse than the aliasing noise.

There are things that games can do to make things better or worse, and games with detailed geometry are going to be better off than games with complex texture work. But texture blurring is a baked in problem with all TAA techniques (which DLSS is), and DLSS is working with lower resolution inputs to boot.

Yes, that specific area of the image is blurrier. That doesn't mean that overall one image is clearly better than the other. The second image is also covered in aliasing artifacts.

Because of the way that TAA works, it can antialias lines inside of texture (unlike MSAA), at the cost of blurring of that texture. For most people, that blurring is worth the end of jaggies, and the visual noise in movement. For a minority of people the in-texture blurring is much worse than the aliasing noise.

There are things that games can do to make things better or worse, and games with detailed geometry are going to be better off than games with complex texture work. But texture blurring is a baked in problem with all TAA techniques (which DLSS is), and DLSS is working with lower resolution inputs to boot.
That's where I'm worried about whether the texture benefits of switch2's RAM will be diluted by the dlss upgrade, and whether the virtual geometry from the mesh shaders will lead to a larger and denser amount of geometry on switch2.

This is why I personally prefer native resolution vs DLSS. I think there's to much focus on this software feature in this thread. And I don't see every game using it on Switch 2. It would be nice to have it as a optional toggle for those who do want it and those who don't. I was critiqued for being not excited about DLSS and even considered it a detrimental effect. I do respect a good counter argument but the only counter argument I seen is better lighting and more lazy ports with less optimization. Id prefer wonderful ports with awesome optimization. I do understand that it's basically fancy AA. I usually turn AA, DOF, and motion blur off if I have the option.
i imagine this take is solely a preference thing, but i think it should be stressed that dlss is a tool that will allow the switch 2 to exist far more easily in the 9th generation space and even a little longer past that, it's just a small price that should be accepted in order to allow the switch 2 to receive a large amount of games and age more gracefully than the switch 1 currently is

That's where I'm worried about whether the texture benefits of switch2's RAM will be diluted by the dlss upgrade, and whether the virtual geometry from the mesh shaders will lead to a larger and denser amount of geometry on switch2.
The later is a given and will be its most powerful asset as long as being a 9th gen device goes. The texture themselves won't be dilluted since DLSS isn't actually touching any of that, but expect anything Switch 2 to have an overall "soft" look to it simply because of the amount of upscaling it's going to rely on in order to run its games, as well as the significant increase in post-processing effects that will be able to handle. The temporal instability will be accounted for by the developers, but Switch 2 by design won't have a truly pristine image for the majority of its life... especially since DLSS has antialiasing by default.

The later is a given and will be its most powerful asset as long as being a 9th gen device goes. The texture themselves won't be dilluted since DLSS isn't actually touching any of that, but expect anything Switch 2 to have an overall "soft" look to it simply because of the amount of upscaling it's going to rely on in order to run its games, as well as the significant increase in post-processing effects that will be able to handle. The temporal instability will be accounted for by the developers, but Switch 2 by design won't have a truly pristine image for the majority of its life... especially since DLSS has antialiasing by default.
Thanks for the answer, I understand.

I do respect a good counter argument but the only counter argument I seen is better lighting and more lazy ports with less optimization. Id prefer wonderful ports with awesome optimization.
Respectfully, this is not what anyone is saying. Lazy ports will always be lazy, because lazy ports are caused by publishers not wanting to spend the money on a good port. Wonderful ports with awesome optimization cost cash, and removing DLSS won't make publishers want to spend more money.

The only lazy ports that DLSS will create are games where without DLSS publishers would never make the port in the first place.

It would be nice to have it as a optional toggle for those who do want it and those who don't.
You do understand that DLSS quadruples resolution, right? Turning DLSS off will turn your anti-aliased 1080p games into aliased 540p games. This isn't a PC world where it's part of a suite of settings on your overpowered machine that let you tweak to your perferred frame rate/resolution targets. If DLSS is on in a Switch 2 game, it will be almost definitely required to hit a minimum acceptable resolution.

with the fact that games are made with temporal accumulation in mind, no DLSS (or FSR/TSR/TAAU/etc) would just cause more problems than fix. it's kinda the state of rendering right now unless devs specifically make their games without it. and why would devs throw away "free" performance? you're option then is to just get the PC version and turn off/mod out AA

So my understanding is that dlss doesn't actually lose any texture performance, it's just a blurring of the surface textures because it has a TAA-like blur that causes the whole picture to become softer?

So my understanding is that dlss doesn't actually lose any texture performance, it's just a blurring of the surface textures because it has a TAA-like blur that causes the whole picture to become softer?
yes. TAA inherently blurs everything due to the nature of temporal accumulation. this is why negative lod/mip bias is set so it's sampling a higher fidelity texture to not have such a reduction in quality

The fact is the only way for Nintendo to have great resolution combined with great fps on a handheld device for a good price will be by using DLSS. Of course native resolution could be better, but how would the Switch 2 be capable of delivering great native resolution of big third party games for instance? DLSS is the realistic solution that makes it possible for Switch 2 to exceed PS4 pro.

The fact is the only way for Nintendo to have great resolution combined with great fps on a handheld device for a good price will be by using DLSS. Of course native resolution could be better, but how would the Switch 2 be capable of delivering great native resolution of big third party games for instance? DLSS is the realistic solution that makes it possible for Switch 2 to exceed PS4 pro.
Resolution is only one factor in performance metrics, not the whole story, and switch2's virtual geometry technology utilizing mesh shaders will surpass all 8th generation game geometry numbers.

Native resolution is best but DLSS basically double performance* for the same power. That's a tall ask for optimization even if the game is tailored for the hardware much less lower resources ports that were developed for other consoles. Not gonna turn down wonderful ports with awesome optimization though. Just don't see it changing with the next console.

DLSS have problems but between playing 4K DLSS with blurry artifacts for certain parts and 1080p native with blurry everything, it's a bit harder to choose native. Plus according to online, Death Stranding might not fully support DLSS 3+ so might not be a proper comparison anyway. Would still love the option though.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I absolutely hate jaggies. I will almost always take a "blurry" image over a "clean" one as long as the in-game text is legible and the aliasing isn't very noticeable. I have yet to see a 3D game where I would have preferred no DLSS instead of a [well-implemented] version of DLSS. 2D is a different story and sometimes I prefer the raw pixels, depending on the art style, so I'm fine with no DLSS for 2D games, but for 3D games, I would prefer DLSS on by default.

And I'm specifically talking about DLSS. None of the alternatives are good enough for me to use nearly universally, in my opinion.

I absolutely hate jaggies. I will almost always take a "blurry" image over a "clean" one as long as the in-game text is legible and the aliasing isn't very noticeable. I have yet to see a 3D game where I would have preferred no DLSS instead of a [well-implemented] version of DLSS. 2D is a different story and sometimes I prefer the raw pixels, depending on the art style, so I'm fine with no DLSS for 2D games, but for 3D games, I would prefer DLSS on by default.

And I'm specifically talking about DLSS. None of the alternatives are good enough for me to use nearly universally, in my opinion.
I hate both, and I've definitely shaken my fist at texture blur, gone to rejigger my settings, only to shake my fist at aliasing. If I had to pick, though, I'm with you. Jaggies in motion are so much worse for me than a slightly soft resolve.

I hate both, and I've definitely shaken my fist at texture blur, gone to rejigger my settings, only to shake my fist at aliasing. If I had to pick, though, I'm with you. Jaggies in motion are so much worse for me than a slightly soft resolve.
It's funny because I thought at first that the texture blurring was due to the fact that dlss causes texture loss, but then I looked at it from different angles and realized that it should really just be blurring without causing texture loss, and I'm glad that my suspicions were verified.

hardware simply lasts longer. and Nintendo's games kept selling. this is why you're still seeing PS4 games come out despite being 4 years into the PS5. the hardware and software paradigm isn't moving in leaps and bounds anymore, so once your minimum is very good, it can go the distance
And cost of materials isn't getting cheaper quicker like it used to.

hardware simply lasts longer. and Nintendo's games kept selling. this is why you're still seeing PS4 games come out despite being 4 years into the PS5. the hardware and software paradigm isn't moving in leaps and bounds anymore, so once your minimum is very good, it can go the distance
Is it because the bare minimum performance interfere less with the gameplay?

The first has obvious blurring. The second has obvious aliasing. The first seems closer to natural to me. Sometimes I look at things in real life and they're blurry. Never do I look at things in real life and find them overly aliased. So my preference is for the first.

The beauty of DLSS is that Switch 2 games are going to look better overtime as Nvidia continues to refine their upscaling with firmware updates. It's a match-made in heaven for Nintendo's "lateral thinking with seasoned technology" because they can use "older" mature hardware and let the AI do the heavy-lifting. Under those circumstances, there's even less of an incentive for a quick replacement when your console seems to only look better with age. Can you imagine recurrent patches for your Switch 1 and Switch 2 games that take advantage of DLSS updates to make them look and run even better overtime?

It's going to be a very long time before the Ampere/Lovelace guts finally need a replacement. I'm anticipating the Switch 2 lasting for at least a decade.

The first has obvious blurring. The second has obvious aliasing. The first seems closer to natural to me. Sometimes I look at things in real life and they're blurry. Never do I look at things in real life and find them overly aliased. So my preference is for the first.
I'm not sure, but I do think it takes some time for people to get used to 1440p native and then get used to the dlss performance mode, because the foggy feeling that comes with dlss is easy to feel on a macro level.Unfortunately I'm one of those that got used to the native resolution.I'll be testing 2077 dlss again afterward, I'm told 2077 adapts better to dlss3 onwards than death stranding.

The beauty of DLSS is that Switch 2 games are going to look better overtime as Nvidia continues to refine their upscaling with firmware updates. It's a match-made in heaven for Nintendo's "lateral thinking with seasoned technology" because they can use "older" mature hardware and let the AI do the heavy-lifting. Under those circumstances, there's even less of an incentive for a quick replacement when your console seems to only look better with age. Can you imagine recurrent patches for your Switch 1 and Switch 2 games that take advantage of DLSS updates to make them look and run even better overtime?

It's going to be a very long time before the Ampere/Lovelace guts finally need a replacement. I'm anticipating the Switch 2 lasting for at least a decade.

But will the DLSS get upgrades or stick to one pre-defined version per model, this is the question

But will the DLSS get upgrades or stick to one pre-defined version per model, this is the question
He is wrong, the odds are that the version of dlss built into each game on switch2 is a fixed sku that won't be upgraded at any time, but switch2 is compatible with more advanced versions.But as the conclusion of the previous discussion, the Ampere architecture has lost frame generation on dlss3, and the future dlss4 will have more new technologies that won't be compatible with Ampere.

I'm still fascinated how the RTX 2050 only has 4gb of vram.

it's genuinely impressive what's it's capable of, make me wonder how some of these games tested on this video will loke like with proper optimisation.
It's crazy to think how the Switch 2 will be using modern Vram and booting it with 12GB.

I'm still fascinated how the RTX 2050 only has 4gb of vram.

it's genuinely impressive what's it's capable of, make me wonder how some of these games tested on this video will loke like with proper optimisation.
It's crazy to think how the Switch 2 will be using modern Vram and booting it with 12GB.

This 2050 is significantly higher clocked than the Switch 2 will ever be... An impressive showing, but barely representative tbh.

This 2050 is significantly higher clocked than the Switch 2 will ever be... An impressive showing, but barely representative tbh.
it's also a good reminder that most of these games aren't optimised for it and also doesn't have specifically made made ports.

black-suit-up.gif

it's also a good reminder that most of these games aren't optimised for it and also doesn't have specifically made made ports.

black-suit-up.gif
It won't be nearly enough to outperform a fully clocked 2050, not a chance. It's running at 1725 MHz at those tests, not to mention it has 25% more cores. It's a good test, but the Switch 2 won't perform like this, remember the one DF tested was aggressively downclocked.

It won't be nearly enough to outperform a fully clocked 2050, not a chance. It's running at 1725 MHz at those tests, not to mention it has 25% more cores. It's a good test, but the Switch 2 won't perform like this, remember the one DF tested was aggressively downclocked.
Even if you're right, you gotta remember.

blackbeards-quote-is-misunderstood-v0-dmhe8ws8kcab1.jpg

Yes, it would actually require a massive downclock to match the true specs of the switch2, but the problem remains that it lacks dedicated ports and has insufficient VRAM, both of which would make the switch2 outperform a 2050 laptop.

Yes, it would actually require a massive downclock to match the true specs of the switch2, but the problem remains that it lacks dedicated ports and has insufficient VRAM, both of which would make the switch2 outperform a 2050 laptop.
That's our best bet indeed. I think the T239 GPU will get close when all is said and done, let's say within 25% of this chip's real world performance when docked, accounting for its lack of VRAM and optimization. That's not bad in the slightest, to be fair, it'd be really impressive if it even got that close.

I think it's necessary to keep expectations in check, don't put too much weight on the switch2 on a psychological level unless you really want to make it your one and only console, the 9th generation technology (Virtual Geometry for Mesh Shaders and RT) can allow us to view the amazing technological achievements that Nintendo's first party games have reached, but don't expect too much of those high spec third party titles as the switch2 is a highly customizable console geared first and foremost towards Nintendo's own software development rather than a third party.

Also I'm not sure if Nintendo will have developed entirely around the dlss environment by the time they start laying out NG games in 2020, I'm hoping that they should address texture blurring in the upgraded environment as much as possible, and given that the switch2 is going to have better textures than the xss I don't want that advantage to be nullified because of the dlss upgrade.

Also I'm not sure if Nintendo will have developed entirely around the dlss environment by the time they start laying out NG games in 2020, I'm hoping that they should address texture blurring in the upgraded environment as much as possible, and given that the switch2 is going to have better textures than the xss I don't want that advantage to be nullified because of the dlss upgrade.
Especially when there's so much more than just the dlss environment being introduced, supporting mesh shaders for example would have required retooling their geometry pipeline from scratch which I want to assume they did after such a long wait to get these games. Nintendo has top notch graphic engineers on board so I'm not exactly doubting them, but the software developments to properly utilize the Switch 2 are plenty and couldn't have been implemented overnight, if so... Nintendo have been researching these for years.

Especially when there's so much more than just the dlss environment being introduced, supporting mesh shaders for example would have required retooling their geometry pipeline from scratch which I want to assume they did after such a long wait to get these games. Nintendo has top notch graphic engineers on board so I'm not exactly doubting them, but the software developments to properly utilize the Switch 2 are plenty and couldn't have been implemented overnight, if so... Nintendo have been researching these for years.
You're right.

by not using TAA is the only actual way to address it. or design textures so that blur doesn't become a major factor (which is easier when you don't do highly detailed texture work)

I still think Nintendo will roll their own weed in this instance, so there's a chance they can accommodate any potential blurring with their bespoke solution

by not using TAA is the only actual way to address it. or design textures so that blur doesn't become a major factor (which is easier when you don't do highly detailed texture work)

I still think Nintendo will roll their own weed in this instance, so there's a chance they can accommodate any potential blurring with their bespoke solution
I must say I'm curious about this fact myself. They haven't done highly detailed texture work as to date, true... But do you expect that to continue with 12 GB of memory available? Or are they more likely to maintain their texture work visually simplistic and let the massive geometry increases do the talking instead, for departments like character modelling just to give an example? Their promotional character renders have simple textures but they're very, very geometrically dense. I guess that's what you mean?

I must say I'm curious about this fact myself. They haven't done highly detailed texture work as to date, true... But do you expect that to continue with 12 GB of memory available? Or are they more likely to maintain their texture work visually simplistic and let the massive geometry increases do the talking instead, for departments like character modelling just to give an example? Their promotional character renders have simple textures but they're very, very geometrically dense. I guess that's what you mean?
I think we’ll see a fair bump in both

Pikmin 4 for example I bet they have high res textures they originally created before scaling them down to optimize
Just a small bump in fidelity plus a bit more shader complexity and that game would look killer in 4K

I think we’ll see a fair bump in both

Pikmin 4 for example I bet they have high res textures they originally created before scaling them down to optimize
Just a small bump in fidelity plus a bit more shader complexity and that game would look killer in 4K
And that's a switch 1 game impressively enough! An eventual sequel would be a gigantic visual leap certainly, that's kind of the case for everything.

more geometric detail can go a very long way. that's one of the things Epic touted with virtualized geometry, and everything can always use more polygons.

more geometric detail can go a very long way. that's one of the things Epic touted with virtualized geometry, and everything can always use more polygons.
If I remember well you posted a set of benchmarks for virtual geometry on mobile hardware, an Inmortalis 1300 GPU handling 140 million triangles in a given scene. Is it representative for the switch 2's in any way?

If I remember well you posted a set of benchmarks for virtual geometry on mobile hardware, an Inmortalis 1300 GPU handling 140 million triangles in a given scene. Is it representative for the switch 2's in any way?
as far as usability goes, it shows virtualized geometry can do fine in power limited environments like Drake. that said, mobile gpus are lacking the aspects that make Nanite in UE5 work. for that mobile benchmark, it was mentioned that they had to get it working without those aspects. so Drake could, possibly, run better or more efficiently than a phone would

as far as usability goes, it shows virtualized geometry can do fine in power limited environments like Drake. that said, mobile gpus are lacking the aspects that make Nanite in UE5 work. for that mobile benchmark, it was mentioned that they had to get it working without those aspects. so Drake could, possibly, run better or more efficiently than a phone would

I'm wondering if the virtual geometry due to NVIDIA's hardware mesh shader scheme will help more compared to UE5's Nanite?

Arguably, posts like this are proof that my shrink needs to up my medication. As I used to say in my free-styling days, "my rap name is Mental because I am the the illest"
people that are different compared to the sad societies of the world, its those kind of folks i appreciate. that medication will sadly end that greatness :cry:

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom