• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Elon Musk and the End of Twitter

Haven’t been hit with a rate limit yet, but that’s because the moment I learned about the current situation I’ve avoided looking at any replies, viewing other peoples profiles, and my own profile. Good thing they got going 🙃.

Seems like Facebook’s new Twitter replacement, Threads, is going to be the successor at this point which stinks. Blue Sky would have to hard pivot away from where it plans to go if it wants to have a chance.

Wonder if anyone at Big Tech is lying in wait for the time to swipe Twitter from Elon when it inevitably fully fails for him :v

Seems like Facebook’s new Twitter replacement, Threads, is going to be the successor at this point which stinks. Blue Sky would have to hard pivot away from where it plans to go if it wants to have a chance.
Yeah, can't say I'm looking forward to being back in the Meta ecosystem but at this point they probably have the best shot at getting people off Twitter.

d3021c45a0fa6b99d4be935173ea69ce.gif

He's gonna use this as "proof" that the left-wing is censoring the truth or some bullshit

Haven’t been hit with a rate limit yet, but that’s because the moment I learned about the current situation I’ve avoided looking at any replies, viewing other peoples profiles, and my own profile. Good thing they got going 🙃.

FWIW the Twitterati have all moved to Bluesky. If we’re going by the people who made Twitter worth it back in the day, then I think it has the best chance of becoming Twitter’s successor.

It won’t mean much if they can’t get fandom communities to move over as well, though. Praying they don’t all go back to Tumblr.

Are people still getting rate limited? I haven't since Saturday but I'm using it much less. Saturday I'd get locked out after just a few minutes.
I haven't been today but I've also been using it much less.

Are people still getting rate limited? I haven't since Saturday but I'm using it much less. Saturday I'd get locked out after just a few minutes.
I've still not been rate limited ever despite using it every day the past week so either I use twitter far less than I thought I did or (more likely) the whole rate limit thing is bugged as well lol.

The only unusual thing I've experienced is sometimes not being able to look at a tweet's QRTs

Tweetdeck still seems sloppy, I'm seeing tweets double/late, I dunno if they changed anything about the rate limit, though it might just be borked.

Same. I'm kinda resigned to it just winning by default if people just flock there, though.

There's also the option of, just not joining in. You can in fact live without social media.

I'm aware this sounds absolutely preposterous and two steps removed from "You should go vegan and install GNU/Linux", but as someone that has seen what just being in social media can do to people, I'm absolutely thrilled at the possibility we lose both Twitter and Reddit in the same year. It's going to be an absolute boon for global mental health.

I'd rather people did it as a conscious, self aware decision, but I'll take the platforms just dying too.

There's also the option of, just not joining in. You can in fact live without social media
I already stopped actively tweeting ages ago because of how insufferably toxic the site has become (and it wasn't great before Musk) and if Threads sucks I also won't use it. I don't need to be patronised, thanks.

I already stopped actively tweeting ages ago because of how insufferably toxic the site has become (and it wasn't great before Musk) and if Threads sucks I also won't use it. I don't need to be patronised, thanks.
Sorry if I came off as patronising. Wasn't really my intention. I'm just tired of repeating this same thing a lot lately and it's getting to me a bit.

Sorry if I came off as patronising. Wasn't really my intention. I'm just tired of repeating this same thing a lot lately and it's getting to me a bit.
No worries. I don't disagree that social media can be addictive and bad (and algorithms encourage toxicity to drive engagement). Recognising when it's working you and disengaging is something I've had to learn.

I do think there's potential in the space, it's a shame the corps are the only ones with the resources and reach to exploit that.

No worries. I don't disagree that social media can be addictive and bad (and algorithms encourage toxicity to drive engagement). Recognising when it's working you and disengaging is something I've had to learn.

I do think there's potential in the space, it's a shame the corps are the only ones with the resources and reach to exploit that.

That's basically that, yeah. As long as there's corps running the show, social media's potential is always going to be stunted by whatever their profit agenda dictates. Or, in current Twitter's case, what Melon Husk feels like doing when he wakes up in the morning.

I always liked Mastodon's federated approach where you can just run your own instance for whatever group you want to host, with your own closed community rules and settings, but there's still ways to interact with the wider networks. I feel it's a more... democratized, decentralized and self-sufficient way to set up something like this. But also, it's a less accessible experience (Especially if you're coming at it from mass social media like Twitter), and again, you need people to be there for it to work.

I'm willing to give anything a shot, because let's face it, all these social media sites that will get somewhat popular are run by shitheads these days, so...

I always liked Mastodon's federated approach where you can just run your own instance for whatever group you want to host, with your own closed community rules and settings, but there's still ways to interact with the wider networks. I feel it's a more... democratized, decentralized and self-sufficient way to set up something like this. But also, it's a less accessible experience (Especially if you're coming at it from mass social media like Twitter), and again, you need people to be there for it to work
I've mostly ditched Twitter for Mastodon (also currently in the process of ditching Reddit for Lemmy/Kbin but stil searching for an instance I vibe with) and I agree that it's a cool idea on paper but infinitely lesss accessible than the "big" networks like Facebook and Twitter, which kind of harms the usefulness, depending on what you're looking for. Although now that you're able to follow hashtags on Mastodon, it's become a bit better I think.

I generally agree that the current state of social media is designed to be pretty damn bad for people's mental health. The issue though is that for some people who benefit from long-distance friendships (in my case, my disabilities make it harder to spend time with people in person, and even that's if I can find friends who live nearby, have similar interests as me, and won't be transphobic/homophobic/ableist to me), the loss of a lot of them makes it much harder to have our social needs met, even though some had managed to use social media in less unhealthy ways by putting strict limits on how they interact with it.

That's just the personal half. The other half that's kind of driving me nuts with the direction of the internet in general (which included Twitter, but losing Twitter still makes it worse) is that as an indie dev and artist, it's extremely hard to set up accounts in ways/places that audiences have a chance of seeing. Twitter wasn't great for this, but it brute-forced usefulness by having a really large userbase to draw from. Other sites are... not much better, but don't really have the users, for the few that aren't actively sabotaging discoverability.

And god forbid if you're a primarily NSFW artist, because between Apple and Meta, they want you scrubbed off the internet (and anything with an app has to choose between Apple's rules or losing out on half the market). Twitter's death is straight up killing some of my friends' livelihoods because there's so few other places to pick from.

I'm pretty apprehensive about jumping onto yet another social media site, especially one from Meta.

This is why we must return to forums
Waaaayyy ahead of you:

There's also the option of, just not joining in. You can in fact live without social media.

I'm aware this sounds absolutely preposterous and two steps removed from "You should go vegan and install GNU/Linux", but as someone that has seen what just being in social media can do to people, I'm absolutely thrilled at the possibility we lose both Twitter and Reddit in the same year. It's going to be an absolute boon for global mental health.

I'd rather people did it as a conscious, self aware decision, but I'll take the platforms just dying too.
For the most part, I totally agree. BUT, I'll admit since twitter has started buckling, I'm starting to feel concern for ground-level international communication without it. So many things going on in protests/conflicts all around the world would be stifled without a relatively standardized social media platform, and the international visibility of what's happening during those times would go away.

And on a more personal, micro-scale sort of outlook, I use twitter to follow a lot of artists. It's actually the only reason I'm on it, since most of the people I've followed for a decade or more left DeviantArt a long time ago and now DA is being taken over by AI shit. So if we lose twitter then they're in the wind. People from all around the world that I've been watching and enjoying for years and years will scatter to all sorts of other forms of social media and it'll be a nightmare to keep up or figure out who went where and manage multiple accounts and apps and and and

I just hate it. I hate what Musk has taken from us. It's fuckin putrid and it sucks.

I generally agree that the current state of social media is designed to be pretty damn bad for people's mental health. The issue though is that for some people who benefit from long-distance friendships (in my case, my disabilities make it harder to spend time with people in person, and even that's if I can find friends who live nearby, have similar interests as me, and won't be transphobic/homophobic/ableist to me), the loss of a lot of them makes it much harder to have our social needs met, even though some had managed to use social media in less unhealthy ways by putting strict limits on how they interact with it.

That's just the personal half. The other half that's kind of driving me nuts with the direction of the internet in general (which included Twitter, but losing Twitter still makes it worse) is that as an indie dev and artist, it's extremely hard to set up accounts in ways/places that audiences have a chance of seeing. Twitter wasn't great for this, but it brute-forced usefulness by having a really large userbase to draw from. Other sites are... not much better, but don't really have the users, for the few that aren't actively sabotaging discoverability.

And god forbid if you're a primarily NSFW artist, because between Apple and Meta, they want you scrubbed off the internet (and anything with an app has to choose between Apple's rules or losing out on half the market). Twitter's death is straight up killing some of my friends' livelihoods because there's so few other places to pick from.
This too. ☝️

The reality of my mental health and social media is that I'm just going to delete all my accounts and make a burner to follow wherever @NintendoAmerica ends up going.

I've yet to decide if Famiboards counts as social media, to be honest. I definitely don't think it's helping my mental health.

Death of Twitter and Reddit won't stop social media being used. Tiktok is the fastest growing platform.

My favourite sports podcast was just talking last night about how much more enjoyable and positive sports discourse could become again if both sites disappeared. Not that they (or I) actually expect both to happen. Reddit, in particular, I think will be fine. And twitter will either recover or we'll see the same atmosphere established on Meta's Threads.

But there are so many people genuinely addicted to both sites that I'm totally with you - a collapse would force a total cold turkey withdrawal that is too difficult for most people to face and would be hugely beneficial.

I've yet to decide if Famiboards counts as social media, to be honest. I definitely don't think it's helping my mental health.
Limiting time spent in Future Hardware and just shitposting with us goofballs in General Discussion could have a positive impact on your mental health, I thinks 😉

Wait, Threads isn't launching in EU? lol it's dead

Well rip that plan for potentially going to a new site to share my reviews and such: i dont see most pr folk/game devs moving to a place the EU declared NO FUN ALLOWED for.

Really dire straights for freelancers without twitter if I may be frank. If the EU are being annoying about this, why havent they banned twitter for all the nazi shit on the site? Or the violations of GDPR?

Well rip that plan for potentially going to a new site to share my reviews and such: i dont see most pr folk/game devs moving to a place the EU declared NO FUN ALLOWED for.

Really dire straights for freelancers without twitter if I may be frank. If the EU are being annoying about this, why havent they banned twitter for all the nazi shit on the site? Or the violations of GDPR?
Reading the article, it doesn't sound like the EU is actively doing anything? It's Meta who's choosing not to release at the moment because the EU is more restrictive on data privacy than the US is (and it's undisclosed whether they're currently working on adapting things for a EU launch or not).

I wish Twitter and Elon would just disappear at this point. It feels like Trump lead up to the 2020 election where the attention they garner will just allow them somehow to slip in to success despite rational tallying of failures should equate to no one ever trusting them with anything ever again. Anyone clinging to Twitter or making excuses or workarounds just seem like enablers of another egomaniac that has no concern of how their actions and hateful presence affects the world's mental health. It's like we're in a self perpetuating social mental decline because we allow these sociopathic assholes gain traction in a position of leadership.

If Musk ever goes into space, I hope SpaceX engineers play a prank on him by allowing any of Musk's suggestions be on a shuttle and launch him into space knowing he would be doomed. Like that episode of Silicon Valley when Kumail and Martin Starr's characters weigh the pros and cons of letting a daredevil stuntman kill themselves from a miscalculated ramp incline. The pros and cons of allowing Elon Musk to fly straight into the sun.

Last edited:
Yeah, Threads is an unfortunate name for Brits...

Suspect the no-EU launch is because they're rushing this out to take advantage of Musk flailing about and just haven't sorted the compliance with the EU's more strigent data protection and privacy laws yet. Their other data-farming products are available, after all. They probably calculated it was better for a limited launch now than risk Musk reversing his recent changes.

Yeah, Threads is an unfortunate name for Brits...

Suspect the no-EU launch is because they're rushing this out to take advantage of Musk flailing about and just haven't sorted the compliance with the EU's more strigent data protection and privacy laws yet. Their other data-farming products are available, after all. They probably calculated it was better for a limited launch now than risk Musk reversing his recent changes.
Yeah, from what I've seen they need to redo some parts for the EU launch because they're not allowed to "combine" the data-farming from two of their apps together, which Threads automatically does by virtue of sharing accounts with Instagram.

Back
Top Bottom