• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Elon Musk and the End of Twitter

I've got like four Bluesky codes, just lemme know if anyone wants one. No need to be a good user there.
Also I love Neil Gaiman, but he's such an enthusiastic poster on Bluesky that sometimes my feed feels like his personal blog.

Every time I see this thread as the latest thread in the Roost, I do a silent bet in my mind: bluesky code or dumb decision?

It's frustrating that Bluesky is not particularly useful right now for video game forums. But Xitter is just garbage wrapped in obscenity lately, and the outlook is clearly worse. I'd like to gift two invites to our wonderful community of nice people. Just send a direct message.

Twitter put a video of a dead body on my feed. Thanks.... It motivated me to complete my Bluesky registration.

It feels so unregulated/maintained right now in a bad way. Hate accounts are thriving with reports doing little. Violent videos and extreme sexual content easily accessible, even appearing in benign tags.

Current Twitter is a place that allows right-wing accounts to call LGBT people groomers and paedophiles with impunity but banned a trans woman (Juniper) for joking Musk - who is no stranger to baselessly calling people paedophiles - was one.

The sooner it burns the better.

I have three invite codes for Bluesky. DM me.

anime-offering.gif

As Yascha Mounk pointed out for all of Musk Twitter’s faults it still was the absolute best place to get info during the opening hours of the Israeli Palestinian conflict

Until it stops being the best source for current real time updates it will still be useful

As Yascha Mounk pointed out for all of Musk Twitter’s faults it still was the absolute best place to get info during the opening hours of the Israeli Palestinian conflict

Until it stops being the best source for current real time updates it will still be useful
As long as Bluesky is hidden behind Invites it never can be a serious alternative.

While true, this really only holds for the opening hours before the bullshit machine of fake videos ramped production up. The abandonment of verified users pretty much invalidates Xitter as anything useful for longterm information.

he fucked around and about to find out
Post in thread 'Elon Musk Tw𝕏tt𝕏r Dr𝕏m𝕏 |𝕏T| Let’s keep it here. (Parody) 🔵 Official ꕤ' https://www.resetera.com/threads/elon-musk-tw𝕏tt𝕏r-dr𝕏m𝕏-𝕏t-let’s-keep-it-here-parody-🔵-official-ꕤ.649272/post-113623646

It's gonna be such a hassle trying to figure out where all the artists I follow are gonna go (some are complaining that Threads has become an AI haven so fuck that place I guess), especially since a ton of them are Japanese and I'm not sure if they're even following the Elon drama. I'm afraid one day it'll just be busted and I won't even see the posts where they all say where to follow them next

dammit elon, fuck

Even this is like, eh, whatever, not gonna affect me since I'm an existing account and I only follow existing accounts.

twitter bankruptcy about to linger closer and closer lmao. But unfortunately that likely won't kill the company completely since I guarantee you that if Twitter goes bankrupt, Big Tech (whoever it may be) will instantly buy it out for a cheapass price since the site unfortunately still has uses like outreach and for marketing purposes.

Twitter is dying is the new Nintendo is doomed. People keep saying it, but it's just not happening.

The former is more likely to eventually happen than the latter, though.

These things don't happen overnight. And as long as most mainstream media doesn't feel the need to jump ship and continue to treat Xitter like their official press release channel, it's gonna be a very slow and excrutiating process.

It's (unfortunately) still great to get breaking news within the first hour or so of something happening, until the bots and trolls take over within the coming hours :LOL:

Twitter is dying is the new Nintendo is doomed. People keep saying it, but it's just not happening.

The former is more likely to eventually happen than the latter, though.
The difference is Nintendo doesn't have massive interest payments due from taking on loans to buy Twitter. That's the actual ticking time bomb if Elon can't massively turn the ship around.

A lot of people call it dead or dying because it's no longer viable for them to use, not just in terms of features and support but also because it prioritises hateful content that targets them and is signal-boosted by key figures in the company - there are examples of it shared in this thread, on this page. Comparing the functional death of the platform for those people with frivolous doomposting about toys because it's not literally gone feels a bit unkind.

A lot of people call it dead or dying because it's no longer viable for them to use, not just in terms of features and support but also because it prioritises hateful content that targets them and is signal-boosted by key figures in the company - there are examples of it shared in this thread, on this page. Comparing the functional death of the platform for those people with frivolous doomposting about toys because it's not literally gone feels a bit unkind.
That didn't really cross my mind when I posted, and it wasn't my intention to do that, either. But I can see how my post reads like that, so that's on me.

The difference is Nintendo doesn't have massive interest payments due from taking on loans to buy Twitter. That's the actual ticking time bomb if Elon can't massively turn the ship around.
Wait, he loaned money to buy Twitter? I thought he invested personal funds. This makes his decisions even more baffling. Like, he is forced to make twitter profitable as soon as possible, but keeps kicking it down over and over gain in the way he runs the place.

But renaming it X was already telling. Musk is a vanity CEO if I ever saw one holy shit.

Wait, he borrowed money to buy Twitter? I thought he invested personal funds. This makes his decisions even more baffling. Like, he is forced to make twitter profitable as soon as possible, but keeps kicking it down over and over gain in the way he runs the place.

But renaming it X was already telling. Musk is a vanity CEO if I ever saw one holy shit.
Ftfy and yeah, lots of them

Ftfy and yeah, lots of them

WOW! The article reads as if the banks betting on SpaceX going public and them lending money to Musk will win the favours (next to absurd amounts of interest. It's both ridiculous and a smart business move I feel.

Uhhhhh you need to change the thread name, I believe you mean “Elon Musk and the end of X”

In case meme didn’t make it obvious, /s

I hope Xitter does get the boot in the EU. Don't much care whether it's the European Commission or Musk himself who pulls the trigger. It will suck for those whose livelihood depends on it, especially if Bluesky or Threads will never be a full Twitter replacement.

But we need to do something against disinfo and propaganda vectors. Twitter was always a benign tumor, stealing valuable time but giving the illusion of entertainment or information. That's long gone, that tumor is cancerous and spreading. Rip it out before it's inoperable.

That didn't really cross my mind when I posted, and it wasn't my intention to do that, either. But I can see how my post reads like that, so that's on me.
No biggie, I had hoped and assumed it was accidental and that I was being a little sensitive / projecting. I do think there's something to be said for the never-ending news cycle of "okay this one is the final straw" pieces about the platform, because I guess it will never truly die in a way that's permanent (even if it may have already died in the ways that matter).

No biggie, I had hoped and assumed it was accidental and that I was being a little sensitive / projecting. I do think there's something to be said for the never-ending news cycle of "okay this one is the final straw" pieces about the platform, because I guess it will never truly die in a way that's permanent (even if it may have already died in the ways that matter).
Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm sorry it came off as dismissive. I should also add that I've been very much on the "this is the end" train myself, so it was a bit of a self-reflective comment as well.

So the little crybaby wants to pull Twitter (i refuse to call it X) out of Europe.
Threads isn't available in Europe (at least as of my knowledge right now).

Is there even a viable alternative for us EU folks at all?

Considering the company lost half its revenue, fired 80% of its workforce, and lost 11.6% of its users all in one year while being $13 billion in debt and still having a negative cashflow, Twitter's firmly in 1998 Sega territory. Charging people to make new accounts isn't going to help that, when other social media services offer free accounts with fewer bots and less senators. At this point the optimistic route is that it ends up like Flickr, Myspace, or Tumblr.

The perceived influence of the site in the first place is outsized. Twitter has over 500 million monthly active users, but Facebook has over 3 billion and Instagram 2 billion. This is entirely down to who uses it--knowledge workers, journalists, talking heads, influencers, and political commentators. When the people that talk the most adopt a platform, that makes it seem like a bigger phenomenon than it really is.

With user behavior now shifting to back closed messaging systems, I don't think there is a next Twitter; we're just watching the social media era wind down. Brands that want to blast out their message stand more to gain from pushing e-mail newsletters and setting up their own websites again, than trying to find the next Twitter. It's been suggested that the idea of Twitter as a "networking engine and signaler of clout" will persist beyond the site's actual life because the media industry is dependent on this tool existing, but I have doubts about whether it will really play out in the form of a Threads or Bluesky-type app. LinkedIn already wants to co-opt this role in a more "respectable" capacity by pushing users to write articles. Everyone not participating in the writer clout chase will gravitate to platforms that serve their needs.

In the art world, everything is in chaos. Some are going to Misskey, others to Artgram. Others are going back to Pixiv, Tumblr, ArtStation, or Instagram. Some are waiting for Bluesky to be public, and some are straight-up building their own websites. It's not just Twitter's decline that's causing this, but also the rise of machine learning tools flooding every site with an infinite supply of images dwarfing any quantity human hands can produce. (Or moderate, for that matter.) It doesn't even matter if you're better than the machine when the machine can outshout you in sheer volume--for that reason, artists will probably settle on the platform that excludes machine learning as much as possible. Which at this time probably is just making your own portfolio site to share in Discord servers and the like, since content moderating against AI imagery is such a Herculean task.

So the little crybaby wants to pull Twitter (i refuse to call it X) out of Europe.
Threads isn't available in Europe (at least as of my knowledge right now).

Is there even a viable alternative for us EU folks at all?

Cohost lets you log in from the EU… doesnt have an app but it’s by far the best of the alternatives due to no crypto involvement, strict action against bigots, and a slow but steady growth. A somewhat sizable chunk of my friends moved there at least.

Back
Top Bottom