• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Elon Musk and the End of Twitter

Cohost lets you log in from the EU… doesnt have an app but it’s by far the best of the alternatives due to no crypto involvement, strict action against bigots, and a slow but steady growth. A somewhat sizable chunk of my friends moved there at least.
me and everyone i follow moved to bsky

Cohost lets you log in from the EU… doesnt have an app but it’s by far the best of the alternatives due to no crypto involvement, strict action against bigots, and a slow but steady growth. A somewhat sizable chunk of my friends moved there at least.
I feel BSKY is the alternative growing the fastest. Never heard of Cohost but sounds good, ESPECIALLY the actions against bigots. What got me to leave Twitter years ago is the amount of racists, fascists, homophobes and conspiracy idiots on the platform.

rPUBcfQ.webp

lol

To the suprise of... absolutely nobody that still (at least semi regularly) frequents the website :LOL:

I’ve been seeing more posts in reddit communities discussing Twitter about how staying on the site is enabling that behavior to get worse and you know what

I think they’re right

The more people leave/private their accounts and make it all a dead echo chamber the faster the EU or appstores will finally kick Elon’s ass and get the site back to someone with sanity.

…so I hope

god being a freelancer sucks big time post takeover. Can’t believe friday will be a year of this hell with no true alternative

god being a freelancer sucks big time post takeover. Can’t believe friday will be a year of this hell with no true alternative
several of the artists I follow have jumped to Bluesky, so I hope hope hope it'll be a halfway decent alternative eventually.

actually I wonder if it's possible, that rumor about the investors taking twitter back from Musk due to his mismanagement and changing it back around? any hope of them trying to roll back his changes and make it more like it was (which still wasn't great but still better than this)?

I’ve been seeing more posts in reddit communities discussing Twitter about how staying on the site is enabling that behavior to get worse
Interesting, I've also seen people stating the opposite: If you jump ship you leave the platform to the trolls and neverdowells and make it effectively worse. I can kinda see both perspectives but I don't blame anybody who doesn't want to expend any more energy towards this platform tbh.
actually I wonder if it's possible, that rumor about the investors taking twitter back from Musk due to his mismanagement and changing it back around? any hope of them trying to roll back his changes and make it more like it was (which still wasn't great but still better than this)?
Don't think it's impossible, but no idea how likely it is. Kinda depends on whether or not they continue to lose money (and reputation I guess?)

I’ve been seeing more posts in reddit communities discussing Twitter about how staying on the site is enabling that behavior to get worse and you know what

I think they’re right

The more people leave/private their accounts and make it all a dead echo chamber the faster the EU or appstores will finally kick Elon’s ass and get the site back to someone with sanity.

…so I hope

want a bsky code i'll give ya one?

want a bsky code i'll give ya one?

I am never joining the site with cryptobro stank since jack is on the board. Sorry, I'd rather drink a jug of pee than step foot. If I ever do join it'll only be begrudginly because JP twitter dev members move there, and it's open to the public (ie, i'll wait until codes aren't required) and it somehow bans nazis and all the toxic crud twitter got infested with and does a good job moderation (which, I doubt it). I'm sticking to cohost (good moderation, anti-nazi, quiet but chill) and reddit (easy to curate) unless some messiah website comes to save us all. I remember the other things like Hive that were supposed to be the twitter killers, only for those to die out too.

several of the artists I follow have jumped to Bluesky, so I hope hope hope it'll be a halfway decent alternative eventually.

It won't be. Threads could have maybe been, due to the company size behind it and the nature being great for businesses/freelancers and I had hope, but the EU being cringe and the site being barebones as fuck made it die pretty quickly and not viable. If it didn't force me to make an instagram I'd have migrated there by now. I'm curious where JP devs will move to, along with what companies like Nintendo will do. Basically, what will replace "The Twitter Direct".

but god god fucking PLEASE buy the site back from this dick, i dont even care if the saudi investors fully claim it just please kick that moron into outer space and ban all the nazi shit

i'm still mad one of my main hangouts for the past 9 years got ruined by a shitass loser who killed the wordpress API and made freelancing much, much harder than it should be. And made the anti-trans bigotry skyrocket to levels I couldn't even possibly imagine, to the point I feel ill anytime I go on and inevitably see a bigoted, obviously rule breaking comment that never gets actioned when i spam report on it.
Interesting, I've also seen people stating the opposite: If you jump ship you leave the platform to the trolls and neverdowells and make it effectively worse. I can kinda see both perspectives but I don't blame anybody who doesn't want to expend any more energy towards this platform tbh.

Don't think it's impossible, but no idea how likely it is. Kinda depends on whether or not they continue to lose money (and reputation I guess?)
I was in that other camp for months, from I wanna say Oct-April? But as the US pushed through anti-trans bills and things were getting not good, the site got outright horrible to use with all the blue check morons having their bigotry pushed to the top while ordinary people who were just trying to do their normal thing or spread awareness of that bad shit got flamed by them. One of my twitter mutuals has had an account focused on deadnaming her and falsely calling her a pedophile doing it on a daily basis since JANUARY, and the reports I made have done zilch. Twice it's been banned and then immediately unsuspended. She literally fled the internet and this prick is still at it, all because she called out a bigoted employee at a company and is seemingly immune on Elon's hellscape.

I pretty much threw my hands up in the air in april and just decided to use it to switchpost, then in June when they stopped the ability to see posts logged out I just gave up, went private and never looked back outside of tending to the stubborn people who won't leave when they need something (or to further switchpost until Nintendo shuts it off, which i'm surprised they haven't yet lol).

the site can either fully burn to ashes or be bought by literally anyone else, there's nothing else that'll be done. I should not have to be literally considering fucking substack of all places in 2023 to spread my work on, but I guess that's what elon has made freelancers like me do. The whole situation with the genocide against palestine just further shows how horribad Twitter has gotten, since it's unbearable to use and dangerously covered in misinformation, when 2021 twitter was what was able to awaken me to the horrors of that conflict when that incident broke out... How much things have fallen.

Why on earth would you want your lifelong finances handled through a platform with such incompetent leadership that it changes its policies around everything from privacy to security and verification on a whim, and that’s never seemed more likely to collapse at any point in it’s history than right now? No thanks, I’ll stick with a bank that’s found it’s more reliable and consistent over time to not decide to change everything with immediate effect, based on getting tired, petulant and angry at 3 in the morning.

It’s true that PayPal has less features than originally intended 20 years ago. And I’m totally fine with that as I’m quite happy with the convenience of using it to move small amounts of money around for online purchases/transfers rather than as an actually important part of my finances.

Last edited:
Lmao, your entire finances on an online platform headed by Musk. Just thinking about it makes me anxious.

It's one thing to coast at the bottom burning money as a failed social media platform. It's another to try and become a bank type service/system when you struggle to follow laws and regulations as is. Gonna be a lot of lawsuits if this actually happens.

Surprised no one talked about phone calls hitting Twitter today. Shut that nonsense completely off immediately lol.

It's one thing to coast at the bottom burning money as a failed social media platform. It's another to try and become a bank type service/system when you struggle to follow laws and regulations as is. Gonna be a lot of lawsuits if this actually happens.
And all because Musk is trying to relive his early dot-com bubble glory years

Surprised no one talked about phone calls hitting Twitter today. Shut that nonsense completely off immediately lol.
This is the first time I hear about this so I Googled around. That shit is wild!

You can receive calls from complete strangers for as long as they had a DM conversation with you and they are subscriber. Seriously wtf hahaha! Just one more function for assholes to abuse people they don't like on Twitter. Just iOS now but coming to Android.

The obsession with making X into the American version of WeChat is fascinating, especially since, you know, you can already use WeChat in the US. Not that I'd trust the Chinese government with my bank information any more or less than Musk, mind you.

What you need is a symbolic icon of Famiboards to trust with your hoard of gold. A long-standing paragon of integrity, that can be relied upon to guard your wealth with prudence.

Wait a second...

960x0.jpg

I knew yellow Waluigi looked familiar!

Maybe one day we'll get lucky enough to see Elon on the stand for some stupid shady shit he tried pulling and got caught lol

Why on earth would you want your lifelong finances handled through a platform with such incompetent leadership that it changes its policies around everything from privacy to security and verification on a whim, and that’s never seemed more likely to collapse than at any point in it’s history?
I have to keep reminding myself that as ridiculous as this sounds to us, he and his sycophants all think it's actually genius leadership, and all those on-a-whim policy changes are praised by them as all being fantastic moves. So to him and his echo chamber, this is a fantastic idea. It's an alternate reality, sure, but it's reality to them.

I have to keep reminding myself that as ridiculous as this sounds to us, he and his sycophants all think it's actually genius leadership, and all those on-a-whim policy changes are praised by them as all being fantastic moves. So to him and his echo chamber, this is a fantastic idea. It's an alternate reality, sure, but it's reality to them.
c1f.png

There is a world where I "paid for Twitter" for no ads, editing post, etc

Not any Twitter owned by Elon

Elon.....actually did a GOOD thing?

of course THOSE people are angry at him for it

This only looks good until he limits the privilege of posting community notes to bluechecks only, which'd almost immediately be weaponized by them to demonetize the posts of any account that's not alt-right

It is insanely impressive just how bad at his job Muskrat is. Dude has absolutely pissed money away with this deal and how he's managed the site.

I'll give him this though, he did do a very good job at convincing people that an obese Mitsubishi Mirage with some electric motors and an iPad is a "luxury" vehicle. Seems to be working, even if Tesla is incredibly overvalued. But that's a conversation for another day.

It is insanely impressive just how bad at his job Muskrat is. Dude has absolutely pissed money away with this deal and how he's managed the site.

I'll give him this though, he did do a very good job at convincing people that an obese Mitsubishi Mirage with some electric motors and an iPad is a "luxury" vehicle. Seems to be working, even if Tesla is incredibly overvalued. But that's a conversation for another day.
What was wild was when car magazines pointed out all the build quality issues with the Model S and his response was to start suing any publication that didn't give it a positive review.

The fact that people still regard his cars as high-end status symbols absolutely baffles me.

What was wild was when car magazines pointed out all the build quality issues with the Model S and his response was to start suing any publication that didn't give it a positive review.

The fact that people still regard his cars as high-end status symbols absolutely baffles me.
It's got a big fancy tablet and it's electric, so it's gotta be fancy! Oh and the steering wheel is different! It kinda looks like a Formula 1 yoke! Haha isn't that cool, car guys?

Miss me with that shit. Tesla interiors just straight up aren't designed around being used as a car, especially while driving. Tesla kickstarting the trend of everything being touch based - including important stuff like climate control - aggravates me to no end. It'd be one thing if Teslas were just cool electric tech (let's be real, the drivetrain is why you pick a Tesla over other options, although proper car manufacturers are catching up) wrapped in a shoddily-built box, but their design decisions have been negatively impacting car design and usability since the company blew up. Plus, their quality is abysmal. It'd be one thing if you were compromising on nice interior materials or looser QC in the name of having a nice chassis or a sick engine or something (See: Dodge/Stellantis/Whatever they're called now with the Charger/Challenger duo), but the standard that Teslas are built to makes my grandmother's Saturn SL1 look like a Lexus LS400 in comparison.

Ugh apologies for the off topic rant. Just tired of hearing how great Musk is or how "nice" Teslas are LOL

It's got a big fancy tablet and it's electric, so it's gotta be fancy! Oh and the steering wheel is different! It kinda looks like a Formula 1 yoke! Haha isn't that cool, car guys?

Miss me with that shit. Tesla interiors just straight up aren't designed around being used as a car, especially while driving. Tesla kickstarting the trend of everything being touch based - including important stuff like climate control - aggravates me to no end. It'd be one thing if Teslas were just cool electric tech (let's be real, the drivetrain is why you pick a Tesla over other options, although proper car manufacturers are catching up) wrapped in a shoddily-built box, but their design decisions have been negatively impacting car design and usability since the company blew up. Plus, their quality is abysmal. It'd be one thing if you were compromising on nice interior materials or looser QC in the name of having a nice chassis or a sick engine or something (See: Dodge/Stellantis/Whatever they're called now with the Charger/Challenger duo), but the standard that Teslas are built to makes my grandmother's Saturn SL1 look like a Lexus LS400 in comparison.

Ugh apologies for the off topic rant. Just tired of hearing how great Musk is or how "nice" Teslas are LOL
What's wild is I saw last week (and I wish I could find the article but I forget the outlet) that someone painstakingly added actual hardware buttons to the bottom of his Tesla screen because he hated the touch interface so much, and it got spread around the Tesla social media groups and people absolutely dragged him, saying things like he wanted to move progress backwards or that he made the car actively less safe by using hardware buttons instead of the superior touch screen, one person even said such things should be illegal.

Tesla fans, yall.

The only correct and safe way to interact with a Tesla is through a diseased neural implant that ten thousand chimpanzees died for.

Twitter isn’t over yet? How many parts are they splitting this piece of crap final season into?
Still no viable alternative as of now. To succeed, a competitor needs the brands and the fandoms. Threads has the brands, but being tied to personal accounts from social media linked to most people’s real identities, you aren’t going to get the fandoms to move over, too much self consciousness over the content that crops up with those. Blue sky has the fandoms to an extent, but not the support of the brands, who pay the bills. Until one site can definitively court both, Twitter will stay alive via inertia until the servers shut down.

Still no viable alternative as of now. To succeed, a competitor needs the brands and the fandoms. Threads has the brands, but being tied to personal accounts from social media linked to most people’s real identities, you aren’t going to get the fandoms to move over, too much self consciousness over the content that crops up with those. Blue sky has the fandoms to an extent, but not the support of the brands, who pay the bills. Until one site can definitively court both, Twitter will stay alive via inertia until the servers shut down.
It is interesting how nobody has been able to swoop in despite the horrendous mismanagement at Twitter, for the reasons you described. I guess I’m more surprised Elongated Muskrat hasn’t just shut it down and decided he wants to build a theme park instead or something 😂

Back
Top Bottom