• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Elon Musk and the End of Twitter

It is interesting how nobody has been able to swoop in despite the horrendous mismanagement at Twitter, for the reasons you described. I guess I’m more surprised Elongated Muskrat hasn’t just shut it down and decided he wants to build a theme park instead or something 😂
A big part of it is that Twitter's profit margins just aren't enticing for companies. Twitter (and reddit too for that matter) is better thought as an internet utility that is profitable enough.

Basically, many tech companies could probably make a proper twitter replacement easily enough; nobody wants to. The most likely outcome is Twitter continues to die and various factions go their separate ways and that's that.

Seems like the Twitter status page certificate expired a couple of months ago and browsers issue a warning. It’s a link on the footer of the login screen

Twitter isnt just gonna vanish. Maybe it'll be sold of for parts but it still is gonna exist. Even if it keeps spiralling.
I was more just goofing on the thread title, which I enjoy! 😅 I agree that it will likely find some way to exist, especially because all attempts to coup it thus far have been for naught

2000's MySpace even got an spiritual successor in the form of SpaceHey.
3ggs5rk.gif

It is interesting how nobody has been able to swoop in despite the horrendous mismanagement at Twitter, for the reasons you described. I guess I’m more surprised Elongated Muskrat hasn’t just shut it down and decided he wants to build a theme park instead or something 😂
Running Twitter has never actually been a great business model, so it's not super surprising there aren't a ton of companies champing at the bit to be the next Twitter. Mastodon probably had the right idea of trying to emailify it, but it doesn't seem to have struck quite the right balance.

Running Twitter has never actually been a great business model, so it's not super surprising there aren't a ton of companies champing at the bit to be the next Twitter. Mastodon probably had the right idea of trying to emailify it, but it doesn't seem to have struck quite the right balance.
It feels like most people want it to be bluesky, but the limited code roll out is keeping it from blowing up like it should.

Personally I don't see Twitter dying or losing mass popularity for a long long time. Let's be honest, for the regular user the experience is pretty much the same as it always has been. I just use Twitter to browse/follow gaming, sports, and art stuff and I've not seen anything change from my end. I and I think many others are also just too invested in the Twitter ecosystem, I follow hundreds of people and I certainly have no intention of moving to a different platform and starting over and I think most people are the same. Twitter won't die because we don't want to go to threads or bluesky or whatever other social media catches the wave for a while. We'll all just stick with Twitter and honestly I think most of us just wouldn't go to another social media if Twitter did die.

It's crazy how many bots and AI scripts are running around at the moment. I liked a post making fun of crypto, immediately got two notifications from two crypto bots asking if I wanted to "make bank" with a link posted. Under big tweets you see these weirdly worded posts, check the handle and Yep! It's an AI.

Personally I don't see Twitter dying or losing mass popularity for a long long time. Let's be honest, for the regular user the experience is pretty much the same as it always has been. I just use Twitter to browse/follow gaming, sports, and art stuff and I've not seen anything change from my end. I and I think many others are also just too invested in the Twitter ecosystem, I follow hundreds of people and I certainly have no intention of moving to a different platform and starting over and I think most people are the same. Twitter won't die because we don't want to go to threads or bluesky or whatever other social media catches the wave for a while. We'll all just stick with Twitter and honestly I think most of us just wouldn't go to another social media if Twitter did die.
Yes as long as Twitter doesn’t become paid. I agree many people are attached to Twitter, but I doubt most people would be willing to pay for Twitter, no matter the cost

Agree. If it possible to sink lower, you can bet Musk is going for that.

Also, are there people here using Bluesky? Wonder how that is. Used to love twitter back in the day and I want that again.

Also, are there people here using Bluesky? Wonder how that is. Used to love twitter back in the day and I want that again.
I feel a lot of people are slowly migrating to Bluesky but continuing to use Twitter until the bottom falls out.

I feel a lot of people are slowly migrating to Bluesky but continuing to use Twitter until the bottom falls out.
How does moderation work on it? Because I get so sick of the racists, homophobes, transphobes etc on Twitter. Its the reason I deleted my account there.

I'm on it! It's been much more chill, progressive, shitposty vibes so far, which I'm told is what twitter was like in the early days.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

How does moderation work on it? Because I get so sick of the racists, homophobes, transphobes etc on Twitter. Its the reason I deleted my account there.
I've seen it said that there's a layer of it being a self-moderating community, where blocks and ignores will actually tell the system to deprioritize those posts/users across everyone's feeds. So it's sorta.. I guess democratic, in a way, as to who can get really big and visible. Granted I'm sure that could eventually be weaponized against more progressive voices as well but so far what I'm seeing is that bigotry is not tolerated there.

Last edited:
I'm on it! It's been much more chill, progressive, shitposty vibes so far, which I'm told is what twitter was like in the early days.
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

I've seen it said that there's a layer of it being a self-moderating community, where blocks and ignores will actually tell the system to deprioritize those posts/users across everyone's feeds. So it's sorta.. I guess democratic, in a way, as to who can get really big and visible. Granted I'm sure that could eventually be weaponized against more progressive voices as well but so far what I'm seeing is that bigotry is not tolerated there.
Wah, if I can get an invite that would be so awesome! 🙂😁

Saw some people screenshotting him sharing "white pride" posts and voicing agreement with them so like

yep

Haven't been on Twitter all day aside from one time I followed a link on Discord to watch a video, and it felt nice not having to check my feed every 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom