• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Elon Musk and the End of Twitter

I have a hard time seeing how this all ends. It's obvious to everyone that Twitter and Musk are bleeding cash. But I don't think Musk cares. He'll keep this thing afloat however he can before he ever throws in the towel.
Musk comes from this new money stuff. He doesnt care how much money he burns as long as he maintains his image amongst his cult.

I have a hard time seeing how this all ends. It's obvious to everyone that Twitter and Musk are bleeding cash. But I don't think Musk cares. He'll keep this thing afloat however he can before he ever throws in the towel.
Pretty sure it ends with either:
  • twitter going under and Musk finally getting his "see I told you so" moment as he blames "the woke left" for the destruction of one of the widest-reaching forms of international communication ever created, or
  • the investors taking the company back from Musk and trying to salvage it by backpedaling a lot of the changes he made and reinstating proper moderation in order to entice investors to return

p4oFvsm.png

Twitter's corpse is propped up by a makeshift scaffolding and the servers have caught fire (at least metaphorically, maybe literally) a handful of times, but it's gonna still be an active website you could access throughout most of 2023, and at least on January 1st, 2024.

I really did not expect that.

I'm being cynical and not smug when I say, I expected that. As cool as it would be to see Twitter blow up in a mess of poorly functioning glory this isnt how real life works.

And there's too much of a sunk fallacy for a lot of people to be driven out without continued pressure being applied because people still have the tools to keep their twitter feeds tolerable.

But watch as Musk turns it into more and more of a hellhole.

Advertisers returning will be a barometer of just how much Twitter is succeeding in normalising far-right/neo-nazi messaging. Netflix returning isn't especially surprising in that regard, but we'll see what others do.

The European Comission has officially opened proceedings against Twitter for violating the Digital Services Act. Now they're able to get more information but also can demand some precautions against further violations from them. Baby steps but important ones. Europe really doesn't like Musk currently :LOL:

Edit: Here's the official press release, too:

Last edited:
I think this might be the longest outage yet? Roughly 45 mins since Cheesmeister’s post and it is still down.

Didn't elon.com also go down a few days ago too? If it was also down yesterday are we finally hitting the point of regular outages?

There are a lot of Teslas in my city and every time I drive by one I think the same thing:

“You can’t possibly still think that’s cool!”
I honestly wonder how many people are actually aware of his horseshit. Obviously we pay attention but I know people who are very sincerely in the "oh I don't pay attention to politics and celebrities" camp who wouldn't even know what he was doing or saying if I wasn't telling them. I have one friend who was dead-set on buying a Tesla at one point simply because she went to a dealership and listened to a salesperson give her this amazing pitch about the company and the engineering feats and all that stuff and she believed it. When I told her about what garbage reviews the cars get from auto magazines for things like shit build quality and how the company's CEO went on a public rage and began trying to sue anyone who gave his cars a bad review while also spouting some "I'm smarter than everyone and it should be illegal for lesser people to have influence and make decisions" bullshit, she was shocked. Like she had a hard time believing it because all she had ever heard about Teslas was that they're amazing and the guy who "makes" them is like a real-life Iron Man.

Like some people just haven't seen this shit. They don't look.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

It's sad to see the mess that has become Twitter thanks to Musk, especially since I just started to get some good traction posting art there and there are a few really nice and talented peeps I met through there that are onlyTwitter seemingly.

That said abandoning Twitter's honestly made me a happier person. It was more or less the last place I still doom scrolled online and I've replaced my Twitter time with working on my hobbys, on places like Famiboard for game discussion or on Newgrounds/Instagram for posting my art and finding other artists. I also have a BlueSky account, but I've been curating that one much more rigidly than my Twitter so I mostly see posts from artists or gaming/music related accounts. Got a local radio show I get my news from for a few hours in the morning which us much more manageable than seeing bad news constantly all day lol and it covers more fun local news which creates a nice ballance.

I’m still in the cohost sphere and will remain there even though BS is apparently free of crypto crap now

Still not fond of a site that isn’t public and would be very likely to not ban nazis the minute it opens wide. I’ll bide my time with that one and consider threads if I need to expand from Cohost.

As much as I am more angry at how twitter’s downfall stunted the growth of my video content (do not launch the biggest video in your life a month after a billionaire’s takeover of a major platform folks, it will bomb), i’m still the most sad by how japanese Twitter folk dont really have any alternatives they seem to stick to. Most JP devs still use twitter like nothing happened even though racial slurs trended on Christmas. Sure would like for the JP dev circle to find anywhere else to move to so I can follow suit.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I’m a but behind on some of my RSS feeds but Jeff Atwood (StackOverflow co-founder and Discourse founder/owner) linked to a small Wired piece about centralization / decentralization and how this is sort of a cyclical thing with the Internet that I thought was interesting:

As someone who has bounced around various forums and communities since the late 90’s/early ‘00s it’s been fascinating to watch decentralized forums give way to Reddit and social media and all the associated scum and villainy that came from those moves (which anyone with any sort of experience with online communities of any size would’ve seen coming from a mile away) and now people fleeing away from many of those things back to decentralized forums and chat services.

Personally speaking, I never had a Twitter account and don’t currently intend to sign up for any of the alternatives, but I’ve been a lot happier since I suspended my Facebook account and moved to staying in contact with family, friends, and cool people with similar interests (ie. you all) via a combination of texting, FB messenger, Slack, and forums such as this one.

Yea, it sucks that the “everyone is here” effect is gone but it’s probably for the best until some group is able to figure out a better way of managing these services at scale. So far none of the “big sites” have done a good job at it. Period.

Back
Top Bottom