• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

News Elon Musk and the End of Twitter

f0mjx96sd7d21.jpg

True OG's know that social media peaked with the original Myspace, when you could use HTML to set your own backgrounds, choose songs from your favourite bands to play on your page, format the layout how you liked, and link friends to wicked sick Advent Children/Naruto AMVs.

Everything since then is like wandering in exile after experiencing Paradise.

EDIT

Last edited:
True OG's know that social media peaked with the original Myspace, when you could use HTML to set your own backgrounds, choose songs from your favourite bands to play on your page, format the layout how you liked, and link friends to wicked sick Advent Children/Naruto AMVs.

Everything since then is like wandering in exile after experiencing Paradise.
I was just talking about this with a friend yesterday. Myspace was the best, and it's creator wasn't a sentient pile of trash!!!

There's also the option of, just not joining in. You can in fact live without social media.

I'm aware this sounds absolutely preposterous and two steps removed from "You should go vegan and install GNU/Linux", but as someone that has seen what just being in social media can do to people, I'm absolutely thrilled at the possibility we lose both Twitter and Reddit in the same year. It's going to be an absolute boon for global mental health.

I'd rather people did it as a conscious, self aware decision, but I'll take the platforms just dying too.
While SocMed is definitely not without issues, acting like SocMed can only cause mental health issues is treated as such universal experience when it just isn't. There's much more nuance than that.

I find folks--especially white, able-bodied, neurotypical, cishet folks, vastly overestimate how easy it is to find a network of friends and support-otherwise outside of SocMed spaces especially as an adult. In my own experience as a queer neurodivergent adult, queer spaces tend to be not friendly towards autistic folks--clubs and bars, for example, are sensory hell; autistic spaces tend to be far and few between and also not necessarily queer friendly. And to top it off, my life took me halfway across the country to Texas during a pandemic on top of all that. So places like Tumblr and Twitter, while no doubt full of issues, nevertheless let me curate a network of friends that I can get along with. And, yes, a lot of work and self-care to work against all the ways SocMed make their sites miserating experiences--and marginalized spaces are aware of this and we try to help each other curate an enjoyable SocMed experience--e.g. pointing out the block button is your friend.

Basically, there's a lot to dislike about SocMed, but let's not forget there's a baby in the bathwater.

I want to get threads but I'm not connecting my insta and I can't make a new insta account lmao. So I'm kind of screwed there if it takes off...

Well I can join threads through instagram, but given it’s currently tied to my Facebook account and I can’t change my screen name, guess I’m not using it until they fix that.

Given all the issues with Meta I was never really tempted to hop onto Threads in the first place (very "out of the frying pan and into the fire" kind of thing), but it being app-only and unavailable in my country makes it real easy to skip lol

Me, an introvert: but then how will I stay in contact with my friends in other countries since all the Americans I know are fashies? 😳
Let's see: Email, cell-phones, zoom, facetime, IRC chats, letters, telegrams, moneygrams, edible arrangements, post cards, text messages, what else?

But, are ALL the Americans you know really fascists? Or are you being hyperbolic?

Let's see: Email, cell-phones, zoom, facetime, IRC chats, letters, telegrams, moneygrams, edible arrangements, post cards, text messages, what else?

But, are ALL the Americans you know really fascists? Or are you being hyperbolic?
Fashies is short for fashionistas.

I actually did used to go to these lengths in the early 2000s, which is why centralized social media was a godsend for me 🤣
Oh I'm being hyperbolic. It was only a couple of my closet friends and a significant portion of my family. I'm working at making new friends but socializing has been rough lately. I live in an area where a lot of people think the pandemic was a hoax and that Trump was the best thing to happen to America so it's tough to find people to talk to. 😅

I was considering joining threads despite my strong dislike of Facebook (to this day I still don’t have an account), but it not having a chronological follower only feed defeats the entire purpose…

Stuck on the broken hull, sinking ship on fire that’s Twitter to the bitter end I guess 🙃

I expected Threads to be algorithmic by default because Meta, but no chronological following feed is going to render this unusable.

Edit: Yeah this is very barebones, slick looking but lacking in functionality. No desktop app, no chronological feed, no hashtags, you can't search for posts, only users, no DMs, even if you're into algorithmic stuff there's no trending or anything. My feed is just a mishmash of wannabe influencers, celebs and brand accounts trying to shitpost and it's as cringe as you'd expect.

I'm sure they're working on stuff, but I wonder how long the new platform hype will last if they don't get features out.

Last edited:
Twitter isn't ending.

But I made a Mastodon a while back and have been using it a lot more lately.

Also, TikTok.

Oh yeah, and Instagram, surprisingly.

Maybe Facebook again under a different name...

It's a shame Mastodon didn't really take off, conceptually it's appealing but it's kinda lacking in people for me.

Maybe the good end here is that when/if (not sure I trust Meta to actually do this) Threads is federated, I migrate to Mastodon and simply follow people on Threads.

Giving Tumblr another try too.

Meta’s had what… 6 months to get this thing off the ground? No wonder they bought IG in the first place 🤡

At this point I’d be happy to see a return of Google+

Personally don't see the value in going from the platform governed by a billionaire kid with too much money back to the other crazy billionaire kid (android) with too much money. Although given it's not even available in the EU, I guess that's something that doesn't really concern me anyway :LOL:

Meta’s had what… 6 months to get this thing off the ground? No wonder they bought IG in the first place 🤡

At this point I’d be happy to see a return of Google+
I actually liked Google+ and wish they had put more effort into promoting and improving it.

Twitter used to be good, Mush has ruined it and I'll miss it.
However, rushing to a Zuckerberg platform (Facebook partly responsible for Trump, Brexit, dictator support etc.), the terrible data collection, that you're not able to decide to only see threads from people you follow make it a hard pass.
Swapping one arsehole system for another.

I don't get why everyone's mad at the Zuck. Pretty obvious that Threads is meant to be a decoy social media to bait #brands and #influencers with Meta's signature goosed metrics so they'll leave the rest of us alone

So seeing people storm over to Threads, why do US Americans not care if their data gets collected from Facebook? In every iPhone iMessage discussion you can read from US Americans how they will never switch away from iMessage to WhatsApp (or any other messenger) because of evil Facebook and data privacy (though Signal would be the best messenger when it comes to privacy, as if Apple wouldn't harvest data too). But it doesn't matter anymore it seems

So seeing people storm over to Threads, why do US Americans not care if their data gets collected from Facebook? In every iPhone iMessage discussion you can read from US Americans how they will never switch away from iMessage to WhatsApp (or any other messenger) because of evil Facebook and data privacy (though Signal would be the best messenger when it comes to privacy, as if Apple wouldn't harvest data too). But it doesn't matter anymore it seems
Because the things I post to Twitter and the things I privately send to friends/family are of different levels of importance to me in terms of privacy

It's a shame Mastodon didn't really take off, conceptually it's appealing but it's kinda lacking in people for me.

Maybe the good end here is that when/if (not sure I trust Meta to actually do this) Threads is federated, I migrate to Mastodon and simply follow people on Threads.

Giving Tumblr another try too.
I don't know if they interest you, but I've been keeping an eye on Misskey and Calckey, which are similar to Mastodon and also on activitypub (and thus compatible). Misskey is apparently where most of Japanese Twitter is migrating to.

I might go for one of those (or Mastodon I guess...?) in tandem with Tumblr, if I can figure out anywhere that's actually recommended as a server for artists and/or devs (and a Tweetduck-like client)

that's just an iPhone person thing, don't take it too seriously. it's console wars for phone

that's just an iPhone person thing, don't take it too seriously. it's console wars for phone
Yeah I assumed so.

I even switched to iPhone for the first time after ~12 years of android smartphones (Galaxy S2, Nexus 5, Moto X4, Pixel 3a), because Google is too dumb to sell their Hardware officially, where I live. I was sick of importing and features that wouldn't work because it doesn't get officially sold here. Also I wanted a small phone again and there aren't any except for the iPhone SE and the 13 mini (and even the mini line got cancelled from Apple).

I don't know if they interest you, but I've been keeping an eye on Misskey and Calckey, which are similar to Mastodon and also on activitypub (and thus compatible). Misskey is apparently where most of Japanese Twitter is migrating to.

I might go for one of those (or Mastodon I guess...?) in tandem with Tumblr, if I can figure out anywhere that's actually recommended as a server for artists and/or devs (and a Tweetduck-like client)
Calckey looks interesting, but niche. Still, maybe worth keeping an eye on them.

Calckey looks interesting, but niche. Still, maybe worth keeping an eye on them.
Yeah that's basically how I'm feeling about it so far. At least in theory though, activitypub being involved means that niche doesn't inherently wall you off from the others, which is probably gonna be a pretty major factor given how some of the alternatives are.

Also I just realized but does that mean Threads (which doesn't have a follow feature) being on activitypub mean you can follow people's Threads accounts, but only from outside apps? Because if so that's so ridiculous I can't help but laugh.

Yeah that's basically how I'm feeling about it so far. At least in theory though, activitypub being involved means that niche doesn't inherently wall you off from the others, which is probably gonna be a pretty major factor given how some of the alternatives are.

Also I just realized but does that mean Threads (which doesn't have a follow feature) being on activitypub mean you can follow people's Threads accounts, but only from outside apps? Because if so that's so ridiculous I can't help but laugh.
Yeah, a situation in which you can pick the featureset/policies you want but not be completely walled off is a pretty good one, not sure how it'll work out with Threads. It's Meta, wouldn't surprise me if they attempt to Embrace Extend Extinguish.

You can follow people on Threads, incidentally, there's just no follower-only feed. Their posts show up in the single algorithmic feed it currently has.

Back
Top Bottom