• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Elden Ring |ST| Go Outside and Touch Grace

Do you like saying the word "accord" in a posh British accent (like Melina does)?

• Total voters
Just saw the game sold 12m in total copies ww and 1m in Japan dang. Yeah elden ring 2 and 3 are a lock i think haha.
Not so sure they’ll do an Elden Ring 2, it feels like kind of its own thing. From can kind of do whatever they want now, I kind of expect something a bit different as their next game, kind of like how Sekiro changed things up.

I would be surprised if it wasn't intended to be a new trilogy a la Dark Souls.

Anyway, I am nearing the finish line. I think I have all optional main bosses beaten. Now I feel comfortable moving into the Endgame.

Even compared to the other dark souls, I found the first big castle to be really intricate. It was a neverending discovery of branching and secret routes.
BUT, 50 hours later there was nothing close, raya lucaria, volcano manor, pretty straightforward in comparison.
With the addition of repeating content that put a damper on the game.

I beat my first boss last night - the Beastman of Farum Azula. It felt kinda like Baby’s First Souls Boss. It only took me two tries, and I actually did get pretty close to beating it on the first go. For the second try I remembered to summon the wolves and they made the fight last like ten seconds. I was feeling pretty good after that!

I can't even imagine them trying to make more Elden Ring games considering how much time, delays and tech issues this one had. Like, great, I guess we get yet another 15 years with nothing but the same gameplay repeated instead of utilizing the wealth of interesting IPs and ideas that the rest of From Software has in their past?

At least get an Armored Core game out and let someone other than Miyazaki do it. Show that From Soft isn't just a one-trick double jump pony.

I imagine they'll do a couple DLCs and the heavily rumored/sort-leaked Armored Core first before another Elden Ring, but it's silly to assume they're not gonna do another open world game with how much this one blew up.

I can't even imagine them trying to make more Elden Ring games considering how much time, delays and tech issues this one had. Like, great, I guess we get yet another 15 years with nothing but the same gameplay repeated instead of utilizing the wealth of interesting IPs and ideas that the rest of From Software has in their past?

At least get an Armored Core game out and let someone other than Miyazaki do it. Show that From Soft isn't just a one-trick double jump pony.
I mean... yes? I love variations in the games, like how different Dark Souls is from Bloodborne, and Sekiro, etc., but other than that variation and trying new things this is exactly what I want from From. I think if you're looking for a lot of different things, old IPs, etc. from the pre-Dark Souls days you're going to be disappointed. Maybe we'll get Armored Core since that's been rumored.

Yeah elden ring 2 and 3 are a lock i think haha.
Not so sure they’ll do an Elden Ring 2, it feels like kind of its own thing.
I would be surprised if it wasn't intended to be a new trilogy a la Dark Souls.
According to a verified leak Armored Core is likely next in the pipeline.

FWIW, I am highly doubtful there'll specifically be an Elden Ring 2.

Anyway, I am nearing the finish line. I think I have all optional main bosses beaten. Now I feel comfortable moving into the Endgame.
Including Malenia? She alone is postgame lol

Yeah, that boss along with a couple others feels like it IS the postgame. That's right where I'm at. I have her, the other main optional boss, and the last couple story ones left to go, but I'm nearly done with almost everything else I can think of. It's been a great ride.

I get it is technically a new IP, but it feels like cheating to call it that. It's on the backs of 7 other FromSoft games at this point.

Well i melted Radahan killed him first try lol i cannot beat the Scarlot rot crystal trio though they destroy me quick since i use a faith Sword build
Crystal, rock and Skeleton enemies are massively weak to blunt damage FYI. Also the crystal guys once you topple them over once they "crack" and take increased damage from every weapon type.

I beat my first boss last night - the Beastman of Farum Azula. It felt kinda like Baby’s First Souls Boss. It only took me two tries, and I actually did get pretty close to beating it on the first go. For the second try I remembered to summon the wolves and they made the fight last like ten seconds. I was feeling pretty good after that!
🎉 The first of many friend! I honestly think the best part about this game (besides the literal metric ton of Dark Souls combat with an enemy variety we've always wanted) is that any potential wall or boss that's stomping you can simply be marked on a map and returned to, once you've found what you need to upgrade/improve. Any time I've ever been close to frustrated I've simply walked away and found other, appropriately leveled areas to explore.

Get ready to start stomping named foes and receiving sweet sweet unique loot for it. It's all about beating the creature once! Haha.

941.gif

Edit: Found my first series of
invisible walls,
augh, the bane of my OCD dungeon existence. 😂 😭

Just saw the game sold 12m in total copies ww and 1m in Japan dang. Yeah elden ring 2 and 3 are a lock i think haha.
I'm honestly not sure, or at least, I hope for them to leave the Lands Between after some expansion packs on the level of their greatest hits and pursue other series and mechanics. Like, these are the people that made Artorias of the Abyss and The Old Hunters DLC... I would love more ER in two years time while their next develops.

I hit credits yesterday and pretty much did everything I could on the first playthrough. Didn't go to NG+ right away and instead looked up an interactive map to see if I missed any caves and dungeons. Turns out I had! I missed about 10 of them in total including the very first one you could potentially reach if you go north of the first church you run into after leaving the starting catacombs lol. I killed the Beastman of Farum Azula in one hit.

Anyway, this game was fantastic. I definitely think the game loses steam at the end because too many of the boss fights are repeated. I was actually kinda baffled to see two shardbearer fights are basically repeated at one point through optional content. I really think that's a bad move since it hurts the uniqueness of the major boss fights in the game which IMO, should remain unique per playthrough.

I still think that the game is also poorly balanced for 1 v 1 melee battles near the end too. Towards the end of the game I basically said screw it, popped mimic tear and used power stanced claymores to bum rush fights. That being said, I also think that the game expects you to be at least level 140+ for some of these end game areas and to have invested in a decent amount of vigor not matter your build. I finally started to feel tanky a few hours before the final boss when I reached 55 vigor and wore armor that gave me around 49 physical damage resist. At that point even the hardest hitting stuff from the final boss would take away about 1/5th of my life. It definitely felt a lot more fair and manageable at that point.

When I beat the game I was level 162. I pretty much tried to spend every rune I acquired as well and never really grinded at any point. So yeah, the end game levels for this game are far higher than any of the prior games in the series.

I'll be curious to see what the PVP meta level will be. I think 120 is gonna be way too low for this game, especially since your overall health at level 40 vigor is way lower than the older souls games.

Yes, including that dreaded awfulness.

Although the boss of Volcano Manor almost gave me more trouble.

I remained terribly squishy throughout my playthrough.

I got INT to 80 before I finally now at the end pumped my HP.

So in a weird way enemies became almost easier because I wasn't one-shot anymore.
Two hits and I still die, though,

Gotta love that glass canon life.

Anyway, just finished the game!

I felt it was time and I was happy to have it behind me.

It's excellent, though I would say it peaks around Stormveil and immediately thereafter.

Still loved the rest and it's easily my favourite FROM game.

PS: I also read about the Armored Core leak. Would be great, but I still believe there will also be an Elden Ring 2. An officially numbered sequel.

Possibly books even, now that it's such a smash hit

Only thing I miss from Bloodborne is my Threaded Cane. The Whips here don't quite measure up.

God this game is such an achievement. First game to have me this engrossed since Three Houses, just a massive game where the hours just fly by for me.

Bought it on a whim despite not being that engrossed in FROM stuff because of the 97 and BotW comparisons, did NOT expect it to click for me like it has.

Not so sure they’ll do an Elden Ring 2, it feels like kind of its own thing. From can kind of do whatever they want now, I kind of expect something a bit different as their next game, kind of like how Sekiro changed things up.
I do recall them saying they might expand it out into different media? In the realm of TV, With GRRM name attached combined with the insane sales of the game, I think it would be an appetizing get for different streaming services

Crystal, rock and Skeleton enemies are massively weak to blunt damage FYI. Also the crystal guys once you topple them over once they "crack" and take increased damage from every weapon type.
All my level weapons are blades lol i eventually got them once i got mimic as it was able to tank two while i worked one by one as the other summons were to squishy.

God this game is such an achievement. First game to have me this engrossed since Three Houses, just a massive game where the hours just fly by for me.

Bought it on a whim despite not being that engrossed in FROM stuff because of the 97 and BotW comparisons, did NOT expect it to click for me like it has.

I do recall them saying they might expand it out into different media? In the realm of TV, With GRRM name attached combined with the insane sales of the game, I think it would be an appetizing get for different streaming services

I am 85 hours in and got to Volcano manor and i think i still got ways to go. I play 3-5 hours a day and first game in years i don't lose focus on. Its one of the best RPGs at least of the non story driven kind i hope starfield sets new ground on the story driven side.

On one hand, I'd love to see an animated Elden Ring something or other, no doubt. So many cool characters and enemy designs, locations, vistas, you name it.

But on the other hand, that would require them to have some kind of plot, and I have no idea how you make that work with From's lore-based story model. I'm sure there are ways that it could be done well, I'm just coming up empty thinking about it and it actually being good.

New patch has reduced damage from Hoarfrost Stomp and Mimic Tear :(

On the plus side, some unfinished side quests can now be completed.

Anyone got any advice for beating the godskin duo? Hortfrost stomp and mimic tear used to help, but now they patched them.
Also mimic tear stopped activating. Don't know if it's a bug or what.

Anyone got any advice for beating the godskin duo? Hortfrost stomp and mimic tear used to help, but now they patched them.
Also mimic tear stopped activating. Don't know if it's a bug or what.

Mimic Tear is still really strong after the patch, so if you have it upgraded just use it. If it's literally not spawning or something, Idk what to tell you since that sounds like a bug. At that point you should have a fully upgraded weapon or something close to it, and damage really helps. Just be patient and try to bait out and kill the one you think is easier first, then start trying to DPS down the other ASAP. The summoning animation is so long that you can deal a little over half their HP while they cast it, so if you manage to keep damage up during the 1v1 period, the fight can stay as a 1v1 or close to it for the rest. If the larger one is giving you trouble btw, you can jump on the broken pillars or run around them to break a lot of the enhanced attacks.

Mimic Tear is still really strong after the patch, so if you have it upgraded just use it. If it's literally not spawning or something, Idk what to tell you since that sounds like a bug. At that point you should have a fully upgraded weapon or something close to it, and damage really helps. Just be patient and try to bait out and kill the one you think is easier first, then start trying to DPS down the other ASAP. The summoning animation is so long that you can deal a little over half their HP while they cast it, so if you manage to keep damage up during the 1v1 period, the fight can stay as a 1v1 or close to it for the rest. If the larger one is giving you trouble btw, you can jump on the broken pillars or run around them to break a lot of the enhanced attacks.
I'll try that. Also for the mimic tear the character just does the animation like when you try to use a stonesword key but don't have enough.

I'll try that. Also for the mimic tear the character just does the animation like when you try to use a stonesword key but don't have enough.
Is it summonable where you're at and do you meet the HP requirement to summon it? Idk if they changed that.

It is and I do, but for some reason it just stopped working, don't know why.

Yeah I got nothing, it looks like the patch bugged out a lot of random stuff on continued save files, but I haven't seen that one pop up yet. If all conditions are met and you can't summon I'd recheck and re-equip all your stuff at least to see if anything was broken.

Actually a pretty good patch.
Not only does it contain some much needed nerfs, a few quest changes, and NPC tracker (tarnished be praised!) but it eliminated oh, 90% of judder and stuttering from the shader compiling on PC for me- a beautiful game is now silky fucking smooth at 1080 with a little bit above the specs.

Playing felt like a night and day difference honestly between its current state and its previous rendering clunkiness.

Not only does it contain some much needed nerfs, a few quest changes, and NPC tracker (tarnished be praised!) but it eliminated oh, 90% of judder and stuttering from the shader compiling on PC for me- a beautiful game is now silky fucking smooth at 1080 with a little bit above the specs.

Playing felt like a night and day difference honestly between its current state and its previous rendering clunkiness.

Yeah, on paper I like most of it. The nerfs aren't really all that harsh, they mostly take those tools from noninteractive and dominant back down to just really strong. I think the Mimic nerf will actually improve it on some builds, and other builds will finally realize they do better with diff legendary ashes. There's a line between giving players a helping hand with powerful options, and large chunks of the playerbase gravitating to the handful of meme tier ones that can remove interactivity from bosses entirely. Hopefully people branch out and try some of the other stuff that might be neglected. The NPC tracker I'm a bit mixed on, I have a lot to say about that if anybody cares to listen but I'm not gonna make this post too much longer. It's probably mostly a good change.

For PC, I have a relatively nice build still (3070ti, 3800X) and it's finally running 1440p60 locked at all times with an occasional drop on loads. I might try 4k again later, but I feel that might be stretching it. Really pleased with that. Unfortunately, random items in one of my save files got deleted(???), and there are some WILD bugs I'm seeing of save files breaking. I hope most of that ends being minor and isolated.

Apparently you can summon bernhal for the godskin duo fight, which makes it infinetly easier if you use the mimic tear too, beaten them after two tries

Aw man. I had just found the Icerind Hatchet and was having so much fun with it lol. Guess it’s back to finding a more fair build to roll with 😂

I should probably start switching weapons. Been using a great sword for basically the entire game, but now bosses are so fast in their attacks and followups that the greatsword is just too slow and will cause problems.
also I just want to know who thought giving a really fast boss the ability to both shorten your hp AND slowly draining your hp was a good idea.

I should probably start switching weapons. Been using a great sword for basically the entire game, but now bosses are so fast in their attacks and followups that the greatsword is just too slow and will cause problems.
also I just want to know who thought giving a really fast boss the ability to both shorten your hp AND slowly draining your hp was a good idea.
He's tough, but I still found a greatsword worked quite well, I've been using one all game as well. The saving grace of that fight is that he doesn't have a ton of health, so once you get a feel for his patterns you don't have to fight him for all that long (one way or the other)

I actually feel that boss's damage is more overtuned than the other boss most people complain about (and I got stuck on myself). Guess it's balanced out by the low health but sheesh that dot + vigor reduction per just shreds through your life bar.

If the boss we're talking about is Maliketh the item interaction available with that fight makes the fight 10x cooler and way more balanced.

If the boss we're talking about is Maliketh the item interaction available with that fight makes the fight 10x cooler and way more balanced.
The what now? I just had to do the fight a bunch until I learned the dodge timings. It was actually pretty fun once I got a feel for it.

The what now? I just had to do the fight a bunch until I learned the dodge timings. It was actually pretty fun once I got a feel for it.
There's a counter item for that boss like the shackles, basically let's you parry the boss and go to town on him for a good amount of time. Think it might also get rid of the debuff but I'm not sure.

Yeah, what Leica said. You can only parry attacks where he tries to strike you with the golden charged blade, and it disorients him leading to him stumbling around which feels in character and thematically appropriate. The ways in which he's difficult add very little fun to the fight, and good players can dodge and punish half his moveset without rolling at this point. Makes me wish they'd incorporated the parry animation into the fight in some way and balanced around that being an opening players could be expected to have. Here's a video if you just wanna see it:

Yeah, what Leica said. You can only parry attacks where he tries to strike you with the golden charged blade, and it disorients him leading to him stumbling around which feels in character and thematically appropriate. The ways in which he's difficult add very little fun to the fight, and good players can dodge and punish half his moveset without rolling at this point. Makes me wish they'd incorporated the parry animation into the fight in some way and balanced around that being an opening players could be expected to have. Here's a video if you just wanna see it:

That is pretty cool, but would require me to actually parry, which is an issue :p. I HATE parrying, mostly I dodge roll or use the guard counter system, which I actually do really like. The only game I've parried in is Sekiro, since you kind of have to, although for whatever reason I love it in that game, just not any others.

Apparently Radahn has indeed been nerfed in this last patch:

This is a bummer, imo. There are plenty of powerful tools for the player to make use of against him. I don't think he was overpowered at all, he's just a tough boss (as he should be).

On another note, Elden Ring has gone below BOTW on open critic. can't believe there are still reviws coming out nearly a month after release.

The latest patch (1.04) has made performance terrible for me now. To give you an idea, this is what it lookslike (lines are moments of stability, dots are frame drops)
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

I think I'm kinda okay with the Radahn nerfs. I'd prefer him to have not been changed, but he's a setpiece fight where difficulty isn't super relevant to his design. As long he's still strong enough to pose a threat against the gimmick in there it's probably fine.

Finished up Ranni's quest line today with help from a friend.

Astel was a really cool fight, pretty spectacular visually.
Also RIP Blaidd. 😭

The Radahn nerfs needed to happen. He essentially gatekeeps two major areas of the game and is positioned as one of the 4 big bads players need to tackle to get into the end game. Just because he was optional doesn’t mean players weren’t going to get roadblocked by him.

Yeah he’s a “gimmick” fight but the issue is that characters were getting one shotted by him late into the fight (the meteors) and the only way to really circumvent it was to cheese him with rot, or pray it targets an NPC. That’s if they weren’t all dead. If you’re a melee character hit boxes were super obnoxious and his gravity moves had way too many active frames that dodging felt like a 50/50 chance of whether you would not get hit or get clipped by the very end of the moves animation window. Not to mention how tedious the run up to him is with the arrows.

I’m all for hard fights but they need to be fair. Getting killed in one hit from meteors 10+ minutes into a grueling fight wasn’t fair. It was infuriating.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see more bosses get the nerf hammer. Seems like FromSoft is slowly rebalancing the game. This patch targets the mid game. I feel like the next patch will target more of the end game. Some of those final boss battles are just obnoxious.

Radahn stuff
Eh, it's not so bad. I've gone back and melee'd him down pre-patch and seen plenty of different consistent strats. It's actually pretty surprising how easy it is to get around most of his stuff. I think the most annoying thing he has is homing orbs which still can be beat in a single roll. Jumping, horse riding, posture break, and weakness to consumables all interact with him very well too if you're open to using those options. Admittedly his statting can be a bit harsh, but I feel that's more a problem with the way Vigor works and is telegraphed in this game in general. It's a really strong boss design that asks the ER player to really understand their options and use them well.

That list bit is the problem though. The fight is built around the assumption players will have gotten a good handle on all the different approaches to the combat system by the time they've got there, and most players just haven't. The tutorializing in the game is honestly quite poor(even though they've shown to be able to do this well in Sekiro), and it's easy to blow past most of the content in the first 3-4 major zones without really engaging with a lot of the combat options. I can empathize with the players who reach him and go "what am I supposed to do about that?" with his initial statline and just felt defeated out the gate, since there's a high likelihood they are unprepared. It was just punishing enough too that I'm willing to bet most didn't feel payoff for experimentation and just gave up.

Tough problem for FromSoft to balance really. I think where he's at now is fine, since the average player probably still needs to cycle through 2-3 different combat approaches to him for a clear. That mostly preserves to me what makes the fight really great, so it's whatever. Just wish the game was structured in a way to actually get players engaging with the combat systems earlier. Elden Ring is really stretching the bare bones combat of Souls to the limit, so it's going to be really interesting to see what other balance changes they choose to make. I think they really overshot the endgame for no real reason other than their hardcore difficulty brand, so I'd like to see them swing at that. Even if you're good enough to blow through it the pacing tanks, and most of the fight mechs aren't engaging cause they're too focused on punishing the player.

Back
Top Bottom