• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Elden Ring |ST| Go Outside and Touch Grace

Do you like saying the word "accord" in a posh British accent (like Melina does)?

• Total voters
Wrapping up Liurnia and delving into where the Great D Lift leads, along with the forsaken Caelid wilds. Eighty hours in.

I can't express how incredible the combat and character role-playing feels after so many years of "narrow" builds in previous FROM games, or at least, playing optimally was always extremely encouraged if you really wanted to see everything. This feels different- as a fighter, the sheer number of weapons is fucking staggering.

I've got my dual katanas, I've got my "boss melter" greatsword, I've got dual holy blades, I've got a big fuck-all hammer 😭 It's just so beautiful! Did they harvest every single one of their previous entries and then some for this armament roster?

Ugh. My roomate is already planning build number two, as am I! Hahaha.

So about General Radahn. Faced him today after the last update and he didn't gave me much trouble, died less than 10 times. I was between level 60 and 70 used all summons on floor, horseback and Loretta's arrow spell. That purple ball he throws never hit me as I just needed to run with my horse to left or right. For now the first boss, Margit, was the most difficult for me. I know I faced him under leveled but he made me spent 12 hours on my personal challenge.

I wonder how Radahn was before nerf.

Keep in mind that I'm an ordinary player who dies 100+ times depending on the boss.

So about General Radahn. Faced him today after the last update and he didn't gave me much trouble, died less than 10 times. I was between level 60 and 70 used all summons on floor, horseback and Loretta's arrow spell. That purple ball he throws never hit me as I just needed to run with my horse to left or right. For now the first boss, Margit, was the most difficult for me. I know I faced him under leveled but he made me spent 12 hours on my personal challenge.

I wonder how Radahn was before nerf.

Keep in mind that I'm an ordinary player who dies 100+ times depending on the boss.

Legitimately this strat would've worked pre nerf, and you probably wouldn't have seen any differences unless you got clipped by a sword attack. That used to hurt a decent bit. Orb tracking was nerfed too, but you could easily "circle strafe" it with the horse before too. Outside of gravity tracking, nothing else about the fight changed but numbers. He ate like a 10% HP nerf and lost some damage iirc, which imo isn't a big deal outside of preventing one shots.

For now the first boss, Margit, was the most difficult for me. I know I faced him under leveled but he made me spent 12 hours on my personal challenge.
What did your personal challenge consist of, if you don't mind me asking? Well done, on your perseverance.

20 hours in, level 40, about to enter Stormveil for the first time. I've heard a lot about how huge it is, I'm kinda intimidated to start it.

What did your personal challenge consist of, if you don't mind me asking? Well done, on your perseverance.
I had that default prisioner set with staff and sword. And didn't want to walk around to gain levels.

I challenged him one time and really liked his moveset. And even though I was underleveled the fight seemed fair and was fun.

So about General Radahn. Faced him today after the last update and he didn't gave me much trouble, died less than 10 times. I was between level 60 and 70 used all summons on floor, horseback and Loretta's arrow spell.
I feel this is the intended level range! But I might be biased- I’m a melee build and mid 60s with a summoned friend felt very lore friendly and very enjoyable, considering a mob of loyal killers is being assembled.

20 hours in, level 40, about to enter Stormveil for the first time. I've heard a lot about how huge it is, I'm kinda intimidated to start it.
You’re going to be fine! Its name is more intimidating than what lies within its walls… Though the creatures that lurk are no joke! So many secrets lie inside, take your time!

There is an ABSURD NPC interaction that occurs in Stormveil that I could not even fathom without the internet. FROM is on some next level shit this game. :LOL:

Posting some comfy fan art before I descend
into Nokron
for the first time!

3qV9fn7.jpeg

135 hours later, finally beat it. Absolute masterclass, brilliant game, one of my favourite From Software games now. Definitely up there in terms of how much I died though, sometimes I just got one shot against some bosses or in some areas (and also fall damage was crazy in this game).

When I finally beat Malenia (damn that second phase) and the Elden Beast, those were some of the most satisfying wins in VG history for me. Favourite boss was
Dragonlord Placidusax
though, loved everything about that one. Those Ganishka attacks from Berserk... So amazing. Really hope there's DLC.

I started playing Elden Ring for the very first time.

...We doing spoilers or...?

Its my first time with souls games.

Im level 51 and I think I progress fine. But i went all in on melee, greatsword and full armor and I regret that. I get so many cool magic stuff. Is it too late to change course and become some kind if mage? Or will my character suck if I put some points in the magic attributes?

As now I have
Vigor 29
Mind 11
Endurance 22
Strength 26
Dexterity 16
Intelligence 13
Faith 8
Arcane 8

If not going mage. Where should i put points? I dont want to get to the end and have a character that sucks.

Its my first time with souls games.

Im level 51 and I think I progress fine. But i went all in on melee, greatsword and full armor and I regret that. I get so many cool magic stuff. Is it too late to change course and become some kind if mage? Or will my character suck if I put some points in the magic attributes?

As now I have
Vigor 29
Mind 11
Endurance 22
Strength 26
Dexterity 16
Intelligence 13
Faith 8
Arcane 8

If not going mage. Where should i put points? I dont want to get to the end and have a character that sucks.
You have the ability to fully respec your character after a certain point fairly early in the game, though it does require a pretty rare item so I wouldn't worry too much, you can go hybrid but stick to magic that uses one specific stat (so faith or intelligence) until you can get that respec in if you happen to want more.

Last edited:
You have the ability to fully respec your character after a certain point fairly early in the game, though it does require a pretty rare item so I wouldn't worry too much, you can go hybrid but stick to magic that uses on specific stat (so faith or intelligence) until you can get that respec in if you happen to want more.
To add to this, Faith plays very well as a side loaded stat on most melee builds. The best ways to play around it involve buffs and a couple of other useful tools that help with having uptime on bosses or room clearing.

Int rewards more dedicated builds. You can spec into it as melee, but outside of some fairly specific builds like Int/Dex katanas it falls a bit more short. It's just more demanding on resources and stats to get consistently good returns outside of specific Int scaling weapons that happen to abuse it well as a side stat.

To reiterate what others are saying, a melee build with a drop of faith is exactly what's carrying my spellsword through the game- and I started off as a Warrior with barely any magic as well! I thought I'd be dual wielding all game (I'm not, but that's because unlike previous Souls games you really can afford to have multiple weapons per character, so I actually do play with what's super fun for each encounter) and I'm finding the challenge rewarding and fair. There's so many ways to mitigate the game's demands, you'll be surprised what you find you might like.

And the Faith spells are just really solid support buffs that hit the spot. Even with something low like 12 Faith, there's a certain bloody enchantment that makes blades do SO MUCH MORE. 😂

Elden-Ring-Bloodflame-Blade.png

110 hours in and I just found the
Volcanic Manor
in the West, and am really enjoying the series of quests held within. I had to break my "no internet solutions" self imposed rule about what it involved though, I'm still trying to figure out what path I want for my first Tarnished and the politics/unrealities of the world evade me. Then again, I haven't even explored the
Capitol and the central Erdtree
yet so, we shall see. Really leaning toward uh,
not following the Fingers.

Also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but this game made me straight up uninstall Dark Souls 3 from my hard drive. I just don't see how I'm going back to DS2 or DS3 after playing Elden Ring.

Last edited:
This isn’t new information or anything, but uhh, the Sword of Night and Flame is good. It’s real good. And this thing was even better before the first patch??

Finally made more progress today, a friend helped me take down the Fire Giant.

Crumbling Farum Azula is so cool. Love the image of a city flying through the sky in a tornado.

Also I did not have any trouble at all with the Godskin Duo, but that may be because I had done Volcano Manor first so Recusant Bernahl was able to help.

Finished this a few weeks ago, it was quite good.

I'm excited to jump back in for whatever DLC they release, but I might go back in before then and check out the Haligtree.

I started Astrologer and pretty much mainlined INT all playthrough.

One of those freaky mechanical iron maiden things killed me in the academy

and I woke up in the volcano

Turns out those things are called “abductors” and that’s kinda their thing. Anyway so you make your way to the end of the tunnel you’re in and there’s a boss fight with TWO OF THEM. Holy shit that was one of the hardest fights I’ve encountered so far. But I finally did it and it felt so good. Then I was able to teleport back to the academy and I was able to easily kill the one who sent me there in the first place.

Turns out those things are called “abductors” and that’s kinda their thing. Anyway so you make your way to the end of the tunnel you’re in and there’s a boss fight with TWO OF THEM. Holy shit that was one of the hardest fights I’ve encountered so far. But I finally did it and it felt so good. Then I was able to teleport back to the academy and I was able to easily kill the one who sent me there in the first place.
Yeah, that's a pretty great surprise if you didn't meet the NPC who "warns" you about it, lol. I hate those enemies, they're always a pain in the ass and have tons of health. Nicely done!

That fight got a ton easier when I decided to stop being an idiot and equip a shield. As a spellsword with Moonveil and the Meteorite Staff I haven’t used a shield since the very beginning of the game. Being able to just stand there and tank hits changed the whole fight for me.

This is indeed a pretty sweet moment that I felt bad for having missed, on my first playthrough.

Spoiler regarding the NPC that tells you about this.
On my second run, it was Patches that told me I should get abducted, and would end up spawning at the base of the Erdtree. Of course that was a lie. 🤣
The game's various teleports were a top tier design choice. Lots of neat "okay, where the hell am I now?" moments.

This is indeed a pretty sweet moment that I felt bad for having missed, on my first playthrough.

Spoiler regarding the NPC that tells you about this.
On my second run, it was Patches that told me I should get abducted, and would end up spawning at the base of the Erdtree. Of course that was a lie. 🤣
The game's various teleports were a top tier design choice. Lots of neat "okay, where the hell am I now?" moments.
Oh shit I remember him saying that! I knew I should have killed that sniveling little weasel.

Shooting lasers and fire out of the sword is just so damn cool though. I don’t care about no nerf.

Plus I’ve still got Moonveil to fall back on
Humble brag! Haha.

I literally just arrived and explored the fiery location you described, and love it so much- the quest lines found within are some of my favorite in the game, mainly because they're so contrary my typical play style as and the reward loot is sick.

I think my favorite moment thus far though made my jaw literally drop, it was finding a certain witchy friend
beneath the Moonlight Altar, covered in blood, sitting in front of a slain Finger!
I was howling it was so good.,Quests are varied and robust in a way that FROM has never done before, it's amazing, I can't get enough of the obscurity, depth, complexity etc each seems to offer.

Searching for Master Lusat to advance Sellen's line is a fucking nightmare though, even with hints it's hard as hell to find the hidden entrance, I plod on though...

Absolutely one of its best aspects. It was a long time before someone told me you can even
dodge out of the mist traps as they spew
if you sidestep quick enough. I don't think I would have found that out naturally, haha.

I just beat Radahn on my first try… that was super anticlimactic. He didn’t even do his meteor strike dive bomb attack! I went around and summoned everyone, then we just hacked at him for thirty seconds and he died. I didn’t even get hit. I feel like I cheated.

I just beat Radahn on my first try… that was super anticlimactic. He didn’t even do his meteor strike dive bomb attack! I went around and summoned everyone, then we just hacked at him for thirty seconds and he died. I didn’t even get hit. I feel like I cheated.
Brag about it why don't you! He ate up my melee character quite a few times around level 65.

That's audacious given how sidequests are handled!
I swear having to teleport to make a npc you're in front of having new dialogues, or not a bit of hint to where you'll find them next is the most unrewarding thing.
1. After playing the first Dark Souls blind, my first playthrough is as blind and offline as I can resist through the Souls games, they're soooooooo much more rewarding when you have no idea what lurks behind every corner and decrepit castle wall.

2. After playing all of these I'm honestly accustomed to the obscurity and strange respawn dialouge mechanics at this point hahaha- these are relatively tame compared to their Dark Souls questlines, jesus fucking christ. Some quest triggers and locations in ER have made a lot of sense to me, some have certainly not. I also kinda miss the option to have NPCs not labeled on the map, but whatever.

Just beat
Morgott
and I was massively over powered unfortunately, I should've come to the capitol sooner. These gigantic fools straight up wreck my melee character to pieces but I can dodge everything they throw at me until the infinite chain attacks kick in and I run out of stamina... Thankfully my ghost pokemon mirror self aided the fight and we melted the malignant bastard's first phase, I smoked his second. Still so much mystery, and then just before I stopped I stumbled into the absolutely gorgeous
Forbidden Lands.

This game is their magnum opus, even if the bosses are more memorable in other games.

Last edited:
Brag about it why don't you! He ate up my melee character quite a few times around level 65.

1. After playing the first Dark Souls blind, my first playthrough is as blind and offline as I can resist through the Souls games, they're soooooooo much more rewarding when you have no idea what lurks behind every corner and decrepit castle wall.

2. After playing all of these I'm honestly accustomed to the obscurity and strange respawn dialouge mechanics at this point hahaha- these are relatively tame compared to their Dark Souls questlines, jesus fucking christ. Some quest triggers and locations in ER have made a lot of sense to me, some have certainly not. I also kinda miss the option to have NPCs not labeled on the map, but whatever.

Just beat
Morgott
and I was massively over powered unfortunately, I should've come to the capitol sooner. These gigantic fools straight up wreck my melee character to pieces but I can dodge everything they throw at me until the infinite chain attacks kick in and I run out of stamina... Thankfully my ghost pokemon mirror self aided the fight and we melted the malignant bastard's first phase, I smoked his second. Still so much mystery, and then just before I stopped I stumbled into the absolutely gorgeous
Forbidden Lands.

This game is their magnum opus, even if the bosses are more memorable in other games.
It’s really really good, no doubt. I think where I’ve finally landed on it is that it’s the best Dark Souls game (including Demons in that), and it might be their best game overall. But for me personally I think I prefer Bloodborne and maybe Sekiro a smidge more. Might just be the atmosphere and more focused nature of those games, I’m not too sure.

Started the game back again after dropping it for a while

So far, I'm enjoying it when it's just being Dark Souls (just finished Stormveil Castle, which was great), but the open world part just isn't doing it for me at all. I think it just conflicts with what I personally enjoy these games for. I'm mostly here for the challenge and intricately designed areas which the open world has kinda been lacking so far

My current hot take is that the game would've been better without Torrent. Sorry buddy, you make exploring much less interesting

It’s really really good, no doubt. I think where I’ve finally landed on it is that it’s the best Dark Souls game (including Demons in that), and it might be their best game overall. But for me personally I think I prefer Bloodborne and maybe Sekiro a smidge more. Might just be the atmosphere and more focused nature of those games, I’m not too sure.
Honestly exactly how I'd place it as well, felt so about half way through- I love the game, it's the best Souls game by a fair margin with the systems it works with- but BB and Sekiro reign supreme.

Not that it matters- they're all masterpieces.

My current hot take is that the game would've been better without Torrent. Sorry buddy, you make exploring much less interesting
Blasphemy!

Blasphemy!
Look, I'm not saying he's not a very good boy, because he is indeed a very good boy. And I actually do like mounted combat for the most part.

But I do think the open world design somewhat suffers from how straightforward he makes it to get from place to place. Traversal doesn't feel super exciting when he's around.

I haven’t played in ten days. Covid and general stress made me reluctant to pick the game up. It’s an incredible game, but it’s intimidating to start playing, even after fifty hours in-game.

I haven’t played in ten days. Covid and general stress made me reluctant to pick the game up. It’s an incredible game, but it’s intimidating to start playing, even after fifty hours in-game.
😂 I find it extremely relaxing and rewarding to dive into after work is done, but will admit there's times I want to find the answer so badly to what I'm seeking that it drives me a little bonkers. But it's really fun to just look in every nook and cranny and try to find invisible walls.

Also, it is 10000% worth learning the secret that lies behind an act of Regression in the capitol. Just saying. :LOL:

Also 100000% worth doing is gaining access to the oft-rumored Haligtree region, with its two medallions quest.... The area is just sublime, and leads to some really fun spots... Including
Mogwyn's Palace of BLOOOOOD which I'd honestly been looking forward to all game. And the contents of that egg? 😲
Just chef's kiss grandeur, my fellow tarnished. Taking it easy at almost 200 hours while more 2/3rds through the M.Gs. and 1/2 done with Haligtree, I kind of don't want it to stop, my bloodblade build is so much fun, the lore is so wonderful, the mysteries, lore, etc. Switched up to the
Nightpuppets with the flowing blades since Mimic Tear was becoming a little too OP. Tiche is great in a spot though, the dark flame gawd.

FROM on that 11/10 with this imo

What-Does-a-Rune-Arc-Do-in-Elden-Ring-1024x576.jpg.webp

It is complete! 230 hours, first playthrough finished, proper dark ending, blindly groping my way forward in the Lands Between for the first time- my Tarnished was certainly warped by the madness she witnessed upon waking up in such strange, hellish lands! Chose a certain
frosty queen if you know what I mean

Just excellence on excellence on excellence. Sure, some of the enemies could be more unique in the end game, and sure, some bosses could too- but that's literally minuscule potatoes compared to the fact this is legitimately FROM's best version of Souls, unequivocally forming the triumvirate of Bloodborne/Sekiro/ER in the eternal mead halls of Valhalla. Didn't want it to end really.

Excited to play another game but I'm ready for DLC and an entirely new character playing entirely differently!

PS. All the bosses are fun to fight except Waterfowl Dance, but even that can be dodged, you just gotta memorize one hell of a pattern and summon friends lmao

Last edited:
Holy thread bump, Batman!

This cartoon series on youtube is just an absolute delight, and the latest video is the best yet. Ladies and gentlemen, I present the hardest enemy in Elden Ring

This latest update (1.07) seems to be a massive overhaul for weapons

They created a separate scaling system for PvP, so they can modify scaling for PvP separate from the single-player, which is good

Also everything seems to be buffed across the board except for rot buildup.

Separate pvp scaling is a big deal for From games, finally. Might do one more run of this near the end of the year.

Occasionally I find myself thinking about giving this a second chance, but it might still be too soon for that.
Same here 😂 I just went pretty hard for the first half and then very quickly fizzled out in the second. I went Astrologer and found at some point almost all sorceries were useless because the tracking was so weak.

Same here 😂 I just went pretty hard for the first half and then very quickly fizzled out in the second. I went Astrologer and found at some point almost all sorceries were useless because the tracking was so weak.
I found sorceries combined with moonveil was an monster of a build. add in sword of night and flame and i was simply cruising.

In my case I just lost enjoyment at some point and forced myself through the rest of it. The Souls formula just doesn't mesh as well with the open world approach as I expected it to. Repeated bosses and imo overall less interesting boss encounters than in Bloodborne and DS3 especially did not help either.

Looking back at it, I am not sure if part of my lack of enjoyment was due to me not having been in the right state of mind for it. I wanted to love it, but couldn't.

I found sorceries combined with moonveil was an monster of a build. add in sword of night and flame and i was simply cruising.
I think when I do give things another try I need to do some research for sure. I often like to try and just stumble in the dark to the finish line, but also I am older and dadder than ever, so maybe all the roaming and wondering what to do was using up too much time nowadays.

Can you grab either of those weapons relatively early on? Even if you have to rush there to grab it?

And do you have any tips for sorceries? I just felt like past a certain point the bosses’ aggressiveness ratchets up to a point where the spells barely even track 🙉

I think when I do give things another try I need to do some research for sure. I often like to try and just stumble in the dark to the finish line, but also I am older and dadder than ever, so maybe all the roaming and wondering what to do was using up too much time nowadays.

Can you grab either of those weapons relatively early on? Even if you have to rush there to grab it?

And do you have any tips for sorceries? I just felt like past a certain point the bosses’ aggressiveness ratchets up to a point where the spells barely even track 🙉
Moonveil is found in Caelid and can be obtained almost immediately, but you have to beat a magma wyrm to get it. Sword of Night and Flame is found in the Carian Manor in the far northwest corner of Liurnia, and can also be gotten quickly if you skip past Stormveil. As for sorceries, my ol' reliable was Rock Sling, also found in Caelid. Rock Sling actually does have some tracking, so it'll follow enemies a little bit. Mix and match whatever other spells you like as you find them.

I didn't actually make it to the end of the game before life got in the way, so I don't know if my build would have carried me through the late game, but I was steamrolling my way through the game. I need to get back to it eventually.

Back
Top Bottom