• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Elden Ring |ST| Go Outside and Touch Grace

Do you like saying the word "accord" in a posh British accent (like Melina does)?

• Total voters
Great ST title lol

I think this is the game that will finally get me into Souls. I've always been interested in the world and level design, but not in the harsh difficulty. I was hoping contrary to popular opinion that the open world would make Elden Ring easier, and while it sounds like that's not the case, it still seems like the most accessible Souls game by far. So I think I will finally have to give it a shot, the reviews and footage I've seen just make it too hard to ignore.

Or maybe I should give Bloodborne a shot first? I have that one already via PS+. Or maybe play all the Souls games modded on PC lol

I've seen a lot of talk about this game being good even for us luddites who didn't really like Dark Souls too much. Does that seem like the case for you all so far? I only played 20 minutes of Dark Souls a decade ago, so I'm not even sure I don't like it. I do like Breath of the Wild a lot, and that is the vibe I'm picking up from "the discourse".
I dont think the game is all that Botwish (sorry), but you can see some touches here and there. The game is more Dark souls 3 than anything else.

I haven't gotten to the really big caves yet, but so far it feels like Skyrim but without the same level of world building. I'm having fun mashing jump to climb cliffs tho

It's not like botw much at all imo since there's no climbing, glider, or environment interaction
My understanding from multiple reviews is that it is structurally similar (i.e. a truly "open" world) despite the obvious mechanical differences.

Great ST title lol

I think this is the game that will finally get me into Souls. I've always been interested in the world and level design, but not in the harsh difficulty. I was hoping contrary to popular opinion that the open world would make Elden Ring easier, and while it sounds like that's not the case, it still seems like the most accessible Souls game by far. So I think I will finally have to give it a shot, the reviews and footage I've seen just make it too hard to ignore.

Or maybe I should give Bloodborne a shot first? I have that one already via PS+. Or maybe play all the Souls games modded on PC lol
personally don't recommend Bloodborne first. There's always arguments about which souls games are harder or easier and while it's a divisive topic, Bloodborne has healing items only as consumables, unlike Dark Souls 1-3, Sekiro, or this game, which have "main" healing items that replenish at every bonfire/whatever the equivalent is here. You can essentially end up being punished for having to learn a boss, even if admittedly the game (mostly in the beginning) does give you a lot of healing items.

Been spending a good portion of my morning watching Benstephens play this on Twitch. There are often times when I’ll see games and think to myself, “huh, I’d probably check that out if I had one of the systems it’s on!” - but this game is giving me one of those rare instances where I’m actually really upset about not being able to play it. I know that I’d thoroughly enjoy my time with this game, everything about it is speaking to me. It actually stings a bit watching games like this, because my mind just constantly wants to jump in and take control.

Hope everyone on Fami is enjoying it so far!

personally don't recommend Bloodborne first. There's always arguments about which souls games are harder or easier and while it's a divisive topic, Bloodborne has healing items only as consumables, unlike Dark Souls 1-3, Sekiro, or this game, which have "main" healing items that replenish at every bonfire/whatever the equivalent is here. You can essentially end up being punished for having to learn a boss, even if admittedly the game (mostly in the beginning) does give you a lot of healing items.
That is fair, I do remember seeing my friend have to farm a lot for healing items in Bloodborne. If I don't end up starting with Elden Ring, is there a better one to go with between 1 and 3? I have access to both on either PC or console

Have we thought about doing a Famiboards group code? It'd be nice to see messages from everyone. I know over on the discord we're using ninpipe. I think we should all get on board to work together as a community and see messages and ghosts from within the community.
Agreed. I haven't gotten my copy in the mail yet, but somebody should set this up.

Castle Morn made me sad.

I expected to find a thing I was looking for and instead just got really bummed out.

This thing is a masterpiece. I'm 12 hours in and it's just flown by.

Agreed. I haven't gotten my copy in the mail yet, but somebody should set this up.
I proposed 'EldenFam' in the other thread. It's easy to remember and fits the character limit.

Also there's a discord?

That is fair, I do remember seeing my friend have to farm a lot for healing items in Bloodborne. If I don't end up starting with Elden Ring, is there a better one to go with between 1 and 3? I have access to both on either PC or console
I don't want to give too opinionated of a response, so I'll just say it like this. Dark Souls is more of an open game, the difficulty comes a bit more from the RPG elements, and the difficulty is mostly in being able to tell when to block. Dark Souls 3 despite in some ways being easier than other Souls games feels like it had its bosses and some areas made around Souls' veterans, and it's bosses can be really hard. It also starts you out with less healing items than Dark Souls 1. The movement is more fluid though and it takes its speed from Bloodborne, but retains Dark Souls's level of customization, so its easier than the other games in some ways.

Ah, fuck it. Start with Dark Souls 1. That is the real masterpiece between the two!

Just started playing. As someone who is a souls fan but hasn't looked into this at all I'm surprised. No stamina usage from sprinting or attacking and you can jump? The game seems super open as well.

So in these tombs and caves there's sometimes like a stone sarcophagus thing with candles around it. Is there anything in there? Any way to open it? Or just for show?

I just watched this dude on twitch throw himself over and over again against a boss fight with two weird floating cat rat lion statues that breathed fire and it scared me cause that guy had no chance no matter what he did

i dont know if ive got what it takes for this game

i might not be gud enough fam

I just watched this dude on twitch throw himself over and over again against a boss fight with two weird floating cat rat lion statues that breathed fire and it scared me cause that guy had no chance no matter what he did

i dont know if ive got what it takes for this game

i might not be gud enough fam
For what it's worth, it feels like any challenge can be surmounted (in addition to the usual perseverance) by turning around and doing something else for a while. Exploration is the difficulty slider.

Major boss, or field boss? 'Cos if it's the former I am slacking. Margit is a tough motherhecker!
Field boss I'm assuming. It was one I found in a cave, don't think I've come across anything I could consider a major boss yet.

Whew! Only around three hours in but digging it so far (going in for a deep dive today) but the colors and designs are just absolutely gorgeous. I wanted to start with the Samurai or Wretch but ended up going for the two handing Warrior class because goddammit, I want this to be the Souls game that makes it really fun to dual wield haha. Also, it was just kind of too jarring running around in full Samurai gear at the very beginning of the game, just felt strange to be kitted so well in an environment I know nothing about. (Also, I’ve just really never used arrows except for enemy tactics in these games) I figure I can always switch back to the conservative Shield-and-Slash combo that always carries me though DS games.

But the idea to remove attacks from stamina costs is REALLY fucking appreciated!

Still getting used to the idea of a goddamn compass feature in a Souls game LMAO. Might try to find a mod to disable that from the HUD.

We can use either ninpipe and combine the group with the folks over on the discord or just use like fami or something for the group code.

If there are any opinions on it let me know. I'm going to plug both of those in my group codes and run with that.

I really wish you could hide headgear. The helmet I have is good, but boy is it ugly. My Tarnished is cute and it's going to waste!
We can use either ninpipe and combine the group with the folks over on the discord or just use like fami or something for the group code.

If there are any opinions on it let me know. I'm going to plug both of those in my group codes and run with that.
Is there an active link to this pipe you speak of?

Love the game so far. Though I'm forced to play offline since I keep getting a 'network failure message' on Xbox One x :(

The exploration is really good so far.

I found a treasure chest that when I opened it, teleported me to a dungeon far away and trapped me there with some very rude bug things shooting projectiles at me. After several deaths, I ended up just racing out of the cave to find I was in a completely different area of the world. Really cool.

Some of the big enemies on the field I literally legged it away from that scream after me and knock me over whilst other enemies surround me doing charge up attacks...what a thrill! So glad this arrived today.

So my experience of FS games is that I played an hour or so of Dark Souls a few years ago - and I didnt really enjoy what I played

But despite this I fully fell for the hype and bought the game, and man I am so overwhelmed.. it's daunting and I have really no idea what I am doing. I keep getting torn to pieces and die easily :p

This is a recipe for disaster for me as I could very well just give up and play something else but I really really wanna give this a chance so.. Is there any kind of super rookie guide that someone could suggest? Like what to look for, general combat guides and so on - I dont want in depth guides but just to get me going.

there are lots of games like that, for example skyrim
I don't think Skyrim is like Breath of the Wild at all. The exploration is there, but it is meaningless and doesn't lead to rewarding discoveries. It's just an abundance of stuff scattered around a map.

(In my opinion, obviously)

It sounds like this game is very open and rewards the player with exciting discoveries, not just stuff. But that's just from reading reviews and watching videos!

Not reading through the thread just yet, but I am popping in to say my kid is going to bed in less than an hour and I cannot freaking wait to start this game 😂 Looking forward to everyone’s impressions once I begin!

Nice ST!

I don't think Skyrim is like Breath of the Wild at all. The exploration is there, but it is meaningless and doesn't lead to rewarding discoveries. It's just an abundance of stuff scattered around a map.

(In my opinion, obviously)

It sounds like this game is very open and rewards the player with exciting discoveries, not just stuff. But that's just from reading reviews and watching videos!
Maybe I haven't found the exciting stuff but there was definitely much more thought put into Skyrim's world and world history than Eldin Ring. They have entire novels, you know?

Maybe I haven't found the exciting stuff but there was definitely much more thought put into Skyrim's world and world history than Eldin Ring. They have entire novels, you know?
The books in Skyrim are the best bit! So many stories, all more interesting than the Eye of Argon STARZ miniseries that you're actually in.

There's a lot of Elder Scrolls worldbuilding and lore, and all of it is so barrel-scrapingly tedious and uninspired I have to wonder if the people responsible have ever read anything apart from the back of a shampoo bottle. IMO, of course.

Anyone else not really noticing much of a difference between hdr being on or off? Can't tell if it just doesn't do much or if it's broken.

So far it feels like big Souls with the ability to avoid more encounters. Won’t say much more other than I’m not super impressed so far, but I’m really keen to keep playing. I could see this evolving into something great over time.

Edit:
I settled on Prophet, but his abilities early on aren’t that great? Heal is an extra flask of sorts, and the Fire move hasn’t proven it’s value for me. Really wondering where I can get more incantations

So “big Dark Souls” is a tad too reductive. I also think comparisons to Breath of the Wild aren’t kind to this game or people with passing interest.

The game doesn’t have a “glide off the plateau” moment; One where you feel empowered to set off in any direction, scale mountains, descend into enemy encampments and actually hope to survive the chaos, etc.

The game is brutal. For somebody who isn’t amazing at these games, you don’t have real freedom for some time. Almost every direction but forward felt like a wall; Like every cave houses a Lynel. I found several exciting locations but was promptly ended by wildly agile or monstrously strong double-teaming enemies.

I decided to grind in some select safe areas, then eventually focus on a slow trek forward. I now have my trusty steed, a competent ranged skill (which I desperately needed), quite a few levels under my belt, a moderate grasp of all the games systems, and I’m returning to all those places that fucked me up.

Only now, hours later, does this part of the world feel open to me. And I have to admit it’s great now that I’m here. So I do recommend the game, but if you’re anything like me, expect the above.

Last edited:
Whew
Leonine Misbegotten
beaten. That one took me quite a few tries but there's nothing as satisfying as when you finally take a souls boss down. Wasn't sure about the jump at first but it gave some really cool moments in that fight where we like both jumped together and my attack hit first. Damn they did a lot of damage though, had to just dodge dodge dodge.

It feels weird not being gated by a boss. I haven't been back to Margit since I first tried and failed, and that was yesterday! Hours ago!

I didn’t attempt Margit until level 50. I fully explored the first two zones and had 8 Flasks at + 5. With spirits, I beat it first attempt, but it was still touch and go.

I feel so bad for new players, but the freedom to prepare is so great.

I may hold off on Elden Ring until performance issues are fixed.

I'm almost done downloading it, though got interrupted multiple times.

Ugh.

Been playing most of the day, I can confirm that this game is amazing. Biggest “wtf” moment so far was… two different things that happen near the lake in the starting area. Very different, both fantastic.

The first main story boss, the one I think was in the network test, is TOUGH. Reminds me of Gascoigne in a lot of ways.

Been playing most of the day, I can confirm that this game is amazing. Biggest “wtf” moment so far was… two different things that happen near the lake in the starting area. Very different, both fantastic.

The first main story boss, the one I think was in the network test, is TOUGH. Reminds me of Gascoigne in a lot of ways.
I found him much tougher honestly. Fantastic game so far!

I may hold off on Elden Ring until performance issues are fixed.

I'm almost done downloading it, though got interrupted multiple times.

Ugh.
I couldn't imagine giving up the entire experience because of some performance issues, unless it's actually unplayable

I found a treasure chest that when I opened it, teleported me to a dungeon far away and trapped me there with some very rude bug things shooting projectiles at me. After several deaths, I ended up just racing out of the cave to find I was in a completely different area of the world. Really cool.
lol this happened to me today as well. Think it was the exact same place

Alright Fami, I couldn't be left out of this. I downloaded the game, how can I pass up basically the highest reviewed game since BotW. And the game that destroyed all talk of horizon once again. It's tradition at this point.

Literally no one with a platform is acknowledging that like no one on Xbox can play this game online. What a mess.
I’m gonna be honest chief- in order to make my PC experience more stable (and to get rid of an abundance of stupid notes) I’m playing offline at the moment and loving it. I just jump online for helping people near bosses, but that’s few and far between five hours in.

Speaking of, my PC experience is more than fine running 1080 with 8GB of VRAM- quite beautiful in fact. A little stuttering and gamma issues but honestly I think that will patched up with time.

Really loved this part, and I even tried my anti-mimic test and everything. 😆

Seeing so many people talking about some boss called Margit early on and I guess I must have missed them cause I've played about 4 hours and have never seen them haha. Suppose that's the thing about open world games.

Announcement: An edit and some thanks given in the OP of this thread.
It reads:

"I was tired af once I was done. I was going to make this in a separate post, but I've decided to put it here:

Thank you to:

@aus89

and

@afternoon delight

for helping me work on this.

Also, thanks to @maebe for inspiring the ST thread name.

Proof that she did so:

Yes, she's the one that coined it and I put it int here as soon as I was done.

Again, thanks!"

(You'll see this at the bottom of the OP thread.)

Jumped in my first souls like game since the first Dark Souls. I choose the wretch class(which I found out after recommended for veteran players which I am not). I Played for about 5 str8 hours loving it so far

Back
Top Bottom