• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Elden Ring Hype Thread [Release date February 25th, 2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breath of the Wild references in reviews really get people angry - can't help but relish the schadenfreude.
Why would BotW references make people angry???
On that note, at least from what I'm seeing, I'd love for people to get the impression that Breath of the Wild 2 was influenced to a degree by Souls games; Specifically around having a lot of unique bosses, optional or otherwise, discovered throughout progression. My first couple Lynel and Hinox sightings were an absolute thrill, but by the end of the game that thrill is completely gone. How great would the sequel be for us to discover unique bosses guarding treasure (armors, weapons, etc) even as far as 50 hours in?
One of my major hopes for BotW2 is more enemy variety along with a more robust wildlife ecosystem. Let me pet the foxes!
I have no idea what class I should be playing. I want to use magic out of fear that I'll be awful in melee range, but I kind of want a mix of both. I guess close to a Paladin in other games?
I wanted to main a magic class but apparently you’d be running out of MP a lot and you’ll end up relying on a melee weapon anyway (or run) so I do think a balance between melee and magic is the best approach.

For the record, I'll post the ST thread tomorrow after all.

The last two days for me was constant traveling.

I barely have Internet tonight.

I'll post what I got tomorrow though, probably at night.

Why would BotW references make people angry???

Part of the gaming community despises Breath of the Wild and it’s success, and are extremely against the idea that it's influential at all, despite evidence of it popping up quite often.

Here’s a fun thread with Imran and Blessing

I read some review mentioning there is no weapon durability. Man if that's true it will be lovely. One of my most disliked aspects of BOTW. Pausing the game (even with fast switch) to choose a new weapon is definitely one of the worst decisions of the game. That is the kind of mechanic that makes people realize that changing iron boots inside Water Temple is not so bad.....XD

Last edited:
Part of the gaming community despises Breath of the Wild and it’s success, and are extremely against the idea that it influential still all, despite evidence of it popping up quite often.
Welp uhh now maybe they can call the BotW influences “Elden Ring influences” then haha

I read some review mentioning there is no weapon durability. Man if that's true it will be lovely. One of my most disliked aspects of BOTW. Pausing the game (even with fast switch) to choose a new weapon is definitely one of the worst decisions of the game. That is the kind of mechanic that makes people realize that changing iron boots inside Water Temple is not so bad.....XD
For what it's worth, weapon durability in these games is nothing like BotW's, even when it is a factor. In Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, I would occasionally spend a few Souls / Echoes to repair my weapon when returning to the hub, and that was that. It takes foreeeeever to wear a weapon down, unlike in BotW, where stuff breaks every few minutes.

For what it's worth, weapon durability in these games is nothing like BotW's, even when it is a factor. In Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, I would occasionally spend a few Souls / Echoes to repair my weapon when returning to the hub, and that was that. It takes foreeeeever to wear a weapon down, unlike in BotW, where stuff breaks every few minutes.
Yeah the only time I can remember durability being a thing, like, at all, is with those worms that destroy your weapons in DS1, and a few times in DS2 due to durability being much worse in that game for some reason. In DS3 and Bloodborne it may as well not even exist at all. Removing it completely for Elden Ring makes perfect sense.

Yeah the only time I can remember durability being a thing, like, at all, is with those worms that destroy your weapons in DS1, and a few times in DS2 due to durability being much worse in that game for some reason. In DS3 and Bloodborne it may as well not even exist at all. Removing it completely for Elden Ring makes perfect sense.
Yup, DS3 simplified this, each time you return to a bonfire the weapon repairs itself. In Bloodborne you need return to the Hunter Dream and repair it yourself, but weapons there are very durable.

Honestly I didn't mind the weapon durability in the older Souls games, though. It was kind of weird in Bloodborne because there wasn't many weapons in the base game so instead of just replacing older weapons with new finds you had to repair older weapons, but in the Dark Souls games at least you're pretty much constantly finding better weapons and with such variety that one of them will inevitably work better for your build anyways.

I ... realize that basically sounds like the same arguments a lot of people will make for Breath of the Wild, but durability in a Souls game also means like 3-5 hours of use, lol. Also, I think the biggest issue with durability just becomes once you get to the lower range of a weapons durability it starts to do less damage (I think that's how it works at least? It always seemed like my weapons started doing weaker hits/damage at lower durability). It was honesty pretty cool even if it might make less sense in games like Bloodborne, Sekiro, or Elden Ring.

Honestly I didn't mind the weapon durability in the older Souls games, though. It was kind of weird in Bloodborne because there wasn't many weapons in the base game so instead of just replacing older weapons with new finds you had to repair older weapons, but in the Dark Souls games at least you're pretty much constantly finding better weapons and with such variety that one of them will inevitably work better for your build anyways.

I ... realize that basically sounds like the same arguments a lot of people will make for Breath of the Wild, but durability in a Souls game also means like 3-5 hours of use, lol. Also, I think the biggest issue with durability just becomes once you get to the lower range of a weapons durability it starts to do less damage (I think that's how it works at least? It always seemed like my weapons started doing weaker hits/damage at lower durability). It was honesty pretty cool even if it might make less sense in games like Bloodborne, Sekiro, or Elden Ring.
My main problem with durability in Souls compared to BoTW is that it's not really a mechanic, it's a resource sink. Say what you will about BoTW's implementation (I love it, but obviously that's far from a common opinion) but the game actually builds around it and it's a fully fledged part of the game, which is part of why it's such a hot topic of discussion. It has impact. It's part of the feeling the game instills of surviving a harsh environment with your wits and ingenuity (until the late game at least where you have an endless hoard of powerful gear)

In Souls games which have durability it's just "oh yeah durability's getting low better pour some of this plentiful resource into topping it up" which is just needless boring filler.

My main problem with durability in Souls compared to BoTW is that it's not really a mechanic, it's a resource sink. Say what you will about BoTW's implementation (I love it, but obviously that's far from a common opinion) but the game actually builds around it and it's a fully fledged part of the game, which is part of why it's such a hot topic of discussion. It has impact. It's part of the feeling the game instills of surviving a harsh environment with your wits and ingenuity (until the late game at least where you have an endless hoard of powerful gear)

In Souls games which have durability it's just "oh yeah durability's getting low better pour some of this plentiful resource into topping it up" which is just needless boring filler.
Completely agree with this. There is really no use for durability in Souls-games. Especially annoying for me who likes to keep everything in shape when leaving a bonfire. While I don't feel decreased durability has a great impact on functionality, it does have an impact on your resources when fixing it lol.

That boss in the depths in DS1 though, your durability takes quite a hit when you step into its puke 🙂

I don't necessarily disagree. I didn't mind the mechanic in the Dark Souls games though and actually thought it was quite neat in some ways. Feel like there was at least a few times in the Soulsborne games where I had to choose between using souls to level up a weapon (which resets its durability) and leveling up my character though, so not sure I'd say it's entirely useless ... I did find it more a nuisance in Bloodborne than an interesting mechanic, though, again because of that games limited weapon pool

I don't necessarily disagree. I didn't mind the mechanic in the Dark Souls games though and actually thought it was quite neat in some ways. Feel like there was at least a few times in the Soulsborne games where I had to choose between using souls to level up a weapon (which resets its durability) and leveling up my character though, so not sure I'd say it's entirely useless ... I did find it more a nuisance in Bloodborne than an interesting mechanic, though, again because of that games limited weapon pool
Do you actually change weapons often enough that you just move on to using a new weapon rather than repairing one? That's... really interesting, actually! Just very different from the way I play. I only use a handful of weapons, if that, in any souls game playthrough. I usually use one or two as stop-gaps until I can use the one I want to main, and then I just use that one the entire rest of the game.

Part of this is, I admit, my own fear of wasting resources to upgrade weapons that I don't end up using later. Even though I know, deep down, that there are more than enough upgrade materials to spend upgrading plenty of different weapons and not worry about it, I always have the RPG "I might need this later!" mindset and end up finishing the game with like 58 of every weapon upgrade shard/stone/rock/etc., lol

My PS4 copy should arrive in a couple of hours. Can't wait!

Speaking of PS4, any reports on performance there? I assume slower loading times and less graphical fidelity, but does it "run" ok? Or should I be expecting DS1 Blighttown moments!
Apparently runs at 27-30 fps with less graphical fidelity and slower loading times.

My PS5 copy just arrived! I guess that's my plans for the day cancelled.

It also came with a woven patch, which I can presumably sew into my clothing and show all of my friends how cool I'm not!

I'm digital, so midnight for me. But I do have work tomorrow so probably booting it up and getting through the tutorial dungeon or whatever before bed, so I'm not totally zombified haha

God damn it I caved and ordered a copy
Yup me too. Never played a Souls game, but the BotW comparisons sold me. I’m still unsure about the dark fantasy grotesque vibes cause that’s not really my thing. But the idea of having BotW-style exploration with Hyrule Castle-style dungeons is just too much for me to pass up.

My PS5 copy just arrived! I guess that's my plans for the day cancelled.

It also came with a woven patch, which I can presumably sew into my clothing and show all of my friends how cool I'm not!
Lucky of you. I will play a bit tonight on midnight here in Brazil. Probably I'll have time only to create a character. I have a important project deadline tomorrow so I can't play too much. I'm glad that carnival holiday starts this weekend.

Yup me too. Never played a Souls game, but the BotW comparisons sold me. I’m still unsure about the dark fantasy grotesque vibes cause that’s not really my thing. But the idea of having BotW-style exploration with Hyrule Castle-style dungeons is just too much for me to pass up.
ive played a few (Bloodborne, Sekiro, Demon's Souls PS5) - always loved the atmosphere and worlds but hit a wall difficulty wise but willing to try this one out and see if maybe this one will click before I swear off them for good

Completely agree with this. There is really no use for durability in Souls-games. Especially annoying for me who likes to keep everything in shape when leaving a bonfire. While I don't feel decreased durability has a great impact on functionality, it does have an impact on your resources when fixing it lol.
Yeah, last time durability was an issue for me was in Demons Souls, and that was due to invasions and the both of us just circling and poking one another with our shields down for ages lol

So I see Amazon has the Series S in stock.

Couple of questions. How does this game run on the S?

And finally, I know the Series X can output 4K, but how does otherwise the S compare to the X?

for those interested in performance metrics, digital foundry has a write up here

looks like series x with VRR is the smoothest experience currently, but both consoles have trouble hitting a consistent 60. and the PC version has weird stuttering issues

...I liked weapon durability in BOTW.

Runs away.
For the record I love weapon durability- always have, always will. 😂 BOTW is my Link Metal Gear Solid 3 and no one will ever tell me differently.

See you all on the other side around midnight, deep into the Lands Between. 😎 Going wretch or samurai, going to have to flip a coin!

Speaking of PS4, any reports on performance there? I assume slower loading times and less graphical fidelity, but does it "run" ok? Or should I be expecting DS1 Blighttown moments!
It's running at a perfect 60 FPS and good image quality on PS5. I'm very sensitive to FPS drops and I'm super happy with it.

Is the ST going to be the place to facilitate jolly co-operation?

I'm not sure what the limitations of the password system are, either. Could the board agree upon a password (for example, 'EldenFam') and everyone have their worlds populated with other board members? Or would that severely limit our multiplayer experience?

I'm not sure what the limitations of the password system are, either. Could the board agree upon a password (for example, 'EldenFam') and everyone have their worlds populated with other board members? Or would that severely limit our multiplayer experience?
That sounds fun. 🤩 I’ve never used the password system in one of these games before, and Miyazaki knows I’ll need some coop aid at some point lol

It absolutely will be a place to encourage and connect jolly co-operation! I have zero idea how the systems will ultimately work in Elden Ring, but after I beat bosses I spend quite a bit of time leveling up by helping others at the same beast.

I'm gutted I missed the opportunity to throw the ST title 'Go Outside and Touch Grace' into the mix.

Awesome! Elden Ring verified for Steam Deck!

I may not even bother getting an S/X yet and stick with the handheld ghetto life!

Awesome! Elden Ring verified for Steam Deck!

I may not even bother getting an S/X yet and stick with the handheld ghetto life!
Oh yay, neat!

Now I feel like I should've jumped on that sale yesterday, oh well. Better to be safe than sorry I suppose (plus, maybe there'll be a better one by the time my Deck arrives)

Seems like on PC it's a bit of a mess and the day 1 patch made things worse.
Which sucks for anyone who doesn't have a PS5 to switch to.

...I liked weapon durability in BOTW.

Runs away.

Elden Ring ST thread coming soon (tonight).

I did too. It sat much better with me when I stopped thinking of weapons as a collection (as they are in most games) and started thinking of them more as ammo.

And without weapon durability there's no way they could have designed the game so that you can stumble on super powerful weapons before you even need them and decimate everything in your path.

I did too. It sat much better with me when I stopped thinking of weapons as a collection (as they are in most games) and started thinking of them more as ammo.

And without weapon durability there's no way they could have designed the game so that you can stumble on super powerful weapons before you even need them and decimate everything in your path.

I also enjoyed it quite a bit. My only criticism towards it, is that I wanted more weapon variety. It had a range, but I mean with some more cool effects. Poison, or one that affects an opponents durability and their weapon gets destroyed. And some real unique ones that you find in some ruin, like in the canyon. Also, duel daggers, etc.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not sure I'm feeling the game just yet. The first 2h are really slow due to the open world. That said, there are plenty of games that were love at second sight for me including BotW so let's see.

Is that on higher end settings? Hoping I will be good to go on 720p Deck lol
It seems to happen regardless of settings but some reports seem to indicate it effects higher end PCs more.

We'll probably get a lot of Deck impressions tomorrow

They could have other type of rewards. For example, a rune that amplifies the power of your weapon(or give some stats like fire) but it has some kind of durability. Or a more powerful weapon like oot's giant knife that breaks after some time but you have your weaker original sword to keep going.

The bow is even worst. I remember people also comparing botw durabilty with ammo on fps shooters. But in this case it's as if even your gun had durability

I could like more the system with we had some original weapon an additional slot for a breakable. This way we could revert automatically to the original after it breaks and would solve the need of interrupting your fight to select a new weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom