• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Elden Ring |ST| Go Outside and Touch Grace

Do you like saying the word "accord" in a posh British accent (like Melina does)?

• Total voters
Played for 18 hours now, beat Margit and Godric (the first was way harder than the latter) and a bunch of mini bosses in the world or in caves.
This game is phenomenal. There is almost too much you can do, it's crazy.

Im using a speer, that I got from beating a certain someone, and a shield, with a dex build. It works really well, but I hope I find another weapon of my liking soon, for a bit variety.

Does someone know what to do with the tears?
The sacred tears? They upgrade your flask power at grace sites

I know nothing about Dark Souls and have never touched a From Software game but I love BoTW- how close is Elden Ring to that? Would it be a bad transition to start with this one?

I love how the map works it grows bigger further you go making your expectation of the map size be skewed.
I found a trap chest that warped me to the very top of the map, and upon checking my map thought "holy shit this game is huge!"

Then I found the underground.

I found a trap chest that warped me to the very top of the map, and upon checking my map thought "holy shit this game is huge!"

Then I found the underground.
At first you think oh this is a small open world then it just keeps getting bigger. Their first open world attempt is truly great its definitely BOTW tier

So finally beat Margit with summons. Used a melee +3 battle axe at level 27. I had so little health left it registered as if i was dead. Both summons died and he had like 5 or 6 hits left so i went for broke and rushed him it luckily worked.

Last edited:
Holy shit. I just found a lift in the Mistwood that took me...... down. Wow.

Played 30 hours over the weekend.

It’s a great game. But I’ll be honest, BotW hasn’t been topped. Elden Ring has reaffirmed that the Zelda team is the best in the business when it comes to open world design and BotW 2 will almost certainly make that even clearer.

Holy shit. I just found a lift in the Mistwood that took me...... down. Wow.
I’ve had this exact moment of “holy shit where am I now?” literally three times now. The one I just had may be the most impressive yet, and it was a… taste of a much later area, we’ll say.

Can I just say, if there’s an award for “best art direction” in games, Elden Ring not only wins it this year, it might win it for the next couple years for good measure. Holy hell.

I know nothing about Dark Souls and have never touched a From Software game but I love BoTW- how close is Elden Ring to that? Would it be a bad transition to start with this one?
It's hard to blindy recommend these games if you know nothing about Souls in general. I don't think it's that close to BotW in design. I'd say give it a try but keep an open mind, realize the first Souls-type game you play is always by far the hardest and maybe purchase it on a platform with an option to refund.

It really is dark souls but open world. The game doesn't embarass itself tackling the traversal and movements options introduced in other open worlds.
A jump button and a mount and let's go finding hidden places for relentless combats.
The closest thing is the sense of discovery given you even have to search for the tutorial lol

I’ve had this exact moment of “holy shit where am I now?” literally three times now. The one I just had may be the most impressive yet, and it was a… taste of a much later area, we’ll say.

Can I just say, if there’s an award for “best art direction” in games, Elden Ring not only wins it this year, it might win it for the next couple years for good measure. Holy hell.
If you're referring to the Divine Bridge in the Royal Capital then, yes, that was one hell of a taste. Absolutely stunning.

It's hard to blindy recommend these games if you know nothing about Souls in general. I don't think it's that close to BotW in design. I'd say give it a try but keep an open mind, realize the first Souls-type game you play is always by far the hardest and maybe purchase it on a platform with an option to refund.
I was gonna purchase it on PS5 digitally but I guess that's a bad idea if I don't like it- might get physical instead.

yeah, the botw comparisons come from the free-form exploration, not from what you're actually doing once you find a thing. the breadth of shit to find and do in this game is pretty wild, though, and only getting wilder the longer I play

This game is the fucking GOAT.

Best open world game that doesn't have "Breath of the Wild" in the title.

From Soft made an all-timer.

I'm not gonna be playing this game for a while cause I don't have a platform to run it on, but I'm really happy that FS delivered. Hearing that the exploration is BOTW-quality makes me very excited.

I think I discovered a huge oversight in the game, I'm cheesing every boss so far (just defeated godrick) by inflicting bleed (and just keep dodging after that) with a summon I got from the bogs when accidently stumbling there. Thanks doggo!

Really loving the game though! It's absolutely stunning!

By giving the player tons of tools, From let loose and decided to make the true sequel to Dark Souls II. So many instances of getting ganged up on by half a dozen or more enemies. And good lord, the dogs in this game are more relentless than ever.

There are some truly incredible locations throughout the world. I'm really surprised how large the map is. It's probably as large as Hyrule in BotW, which I wasn't expecting.

Ten hours in and yeah, still fucking absolutely wonderful. ❤️ It's Souls with so many mechanics, techniques, and layers I never thought they'd accomplish, it's sublime to explore and chart. Now that I see how lock-ons work with larger enemies, I might actually grab the bow much quicker than I thought, thank the dark gods for craftable arrows. I just peeked north of SVC
through the clouds in morning light
and it melted my face once the mist cleared.

Also finally happy to achieve a proper dual sword build, haven't done that before in any of these due to the weightiness of previous DS combat.

I really love the weather systems in this, and their implementation of ambient music finally allows me to not make music mixes myself to listen to while playing like older titles hahaha.

I have lost to Godric almost 30 times.
Beyond the suggestions of "try exploring other places and finding new stuff and leveling up" are you summoning the gold NPC you meet right near the entrance to help out? She's VERY strong in the fight, highly recommended.

Beyond the suggestions of "try exploring other places and finding new stuff and leveling up" are you summoning the gold NPC you meet right near the entrance to help out? She's VERY strong in the fight, highly recommended.

It's just a matter of when, I'm getting closer with each attempted using knives that cause bleed. It's just getting my co-op partners to not blow it right when the second phase starts lol.

It's just a matter of when, I'm getting closer with each attempted using knives that cause bleed. It's just getting my co-op partners to not blow it right when the second phase starts lol.
Yeah, I tried a few times with co-op partners and most of them are out of it before I even got to the second phase. The NPC co-op partner is actually a lot more useful, my time I cleared it we got to his second phase with her at like 75% health, then she just tanked him while I hit him in the back with magic for the win.

Second Rune obtained!

Took a peek at what lies beyond that elevator earlier, after I chanced upon the item I needed to access it and... damn. Damn. This game is something else.

Also Rennala's horde of legless children have a permanent place in my nightmares.

No, not those tears. Other kinds I've found.
Those are for the Flask of Wondrous Physick -- you mix two of them and can basically create an extra custom potion with varying effects. The flask is in one of the churches in East Limgrave, no boss or dungeon required you can just cook over there on your horse.

Those are for the Flask of Wondrous Physick -- you mix two of them and can basically create an extra custom potion with varying effects. The flask is in one of the churches in East Limgrave, no boss or dungeon required you can just cook over there on your horse.
I just found the church with the flask! Thank you regardless!

40 times. I don't think I can beat my head against the wall much longer, I might have to finally tap out. Plenty of other games to play.
Don't give up. Please just try a different strat. Summon another player from here (me!). I am sure this will be your game of the generation when you finally beat it

40 times. I don't think I can beat my head against the wall much longer, I might have to finally tap out. Plenty of other games to play.

I made a video of my cheesy strategy to beat him -- you do have to be able to get out of the first phase pretty quickly for it to work though:

If you're dying too fast or not going enough damage, you might just need to go level up or level up your weapon. The story bosses are tuned around people having wandered the open world and done lots of things, not beeline straight for them.

Nah, I just installed the game. I beat Dark Souls and Dark Souls II but had to claw my way through DSIII. This type of game just isn't for me anymore, I don't have the patience. I play video games to relax, not to be kicked in the face.
I don't know why people are bullying you into finishing a game you're not enjoying, people need to seriously stop that shit and relax.

People it's not the end of the world if someone doesn't enjoy a game you love.

Last edited:
Nah, I just uninstalled the game. I beat Dark Souls and Dark Souls II but had to claw my way through DSIII. This type of game just isn't for me anymore, I don't have the patience. I play video games to relax, not to be kicked in the face.
If you don't like it you don't like it, games are meant to be fun and if you're not feeling it then I wouldn't continue. Maybe you'll get the urge to try again later. I put down DS2 for like a year because I wasn't having fun and came back to it later and ended up beating it on a whim.

Nah, I just uninstalled the game. I beat Dark Souls and Dark Souls II but had to claw my way through DSIII. This type of game just isn't for me anymore, I don't have the patience. I play video games to relax, not to be kicked in the face.

Bailing on a From game is totally valid. I have periods of months where pushing through one is the last thing I want to do. Then something clicks and I have a phase of living for it. Play something that makes you happy instead!

I don't know why people are bullying you into finishing a game you're not enjoying, people need to seriously stop that shit and relax.

People it's not the end of the world if someone doesn't enjoy a game you love.
You have a real bee in your bonnet about Elden Ring, huh?

I made a video of my cheesy strategy to beat him -- you do have to be able to get out of the first phase pretty quickly for it to work though:

If you're dying too fast or not going enough damage, you might just need to go level up or level up your weapon. The story bosses are tuned around people having wandered the open world and done lots of things, not beeline straight for them.

I watched the video and now I'm certain the bleeding strategy with feral fungus doggo is an oversight, I never saw Godrick reaching a second form but still killed him in the first form. Ehhhhh. Funny that my character looks almost identical to this player except for the hat, I stole a glorious helmet from a champion. Wondering where to go next...

Bailing on a From game is totally valid. I have periods of months where pushing through one is the last thing I want to do. Then something clicks and I have a phase of living for it. Play something that makes you happy instead!

You have a real bee in your bonnet about Elden Ring, huh?
No I have a wasp in my bonnet for unnecessarily bullying someone that doesn't enjoy a game.

Whatever game it is, is irrelevant. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Almost ready to finish up the final zone and happened to revisit an earlier legacy dungeon for a side quest.

What I found was truly shocking.

There is a whole other legacy dungeon hidden under the capital that I had completely missed. It's pure old-school dark souls, and the final boss was SO much fun to fight. And then I found the secret behind the altar...that took me down further...and further...

Game of all-time. Holy shit.

That's why i see all these 10 and i get confused. If youre selling a product that regular players cannot actually play/finish/enjoy how can this be the best game ever...etc..etc...

That's why i see all these 10 and i get confused. If youre selling a product that regular players cannot actually play/finish/enjoy how can this be the best game ever...etc..etc...
Well you see Metroid Dread was too difficult so that should count against it, but Elden Ring is even more difficult so it should get all 10's.

I would say this is the most beginner friendly game of its type, if only because there are no road blocks until the end game. You can just go somewhere else, like Skyrim.

I don't know why but I got obsessed on defeating Margit after meeting him for the first time on level 15. Spent 12+ hours trying to kill him and finally did it today.

Now I'll go back on playing it....XD

For those who’ve beaten Godrick, where did you go next? I explored the rest of Limgrave (the south part) and am poking my head into other places but there are SO many places to go

This is my first FS game ever and I have a few questions:

1- What should be my ideal inventory weight? I know it affects the rolling and maybe movement speed bur can't quite understand by how much

2- I'm mainly focusing on a "pure knight build" and putting runes into Vigor, Strength and Endurance. Found a Dex 18 Flail I really want to use, but is it worth it or should I just focus on others? It's 6 levels.

Spent 12+ hours trying to kill him and finally did it today.

To be honest, Elden Ring is a bit different to past Souls games, so banging your head against a wall isn't always smart.

Bosses in Elden Ring are tuned to be more difficult and enable use of spirits / war arts / variability in leveling.

A self-imposed hard mode is obviously your prerogative, but 12+ hours on the first boss is pretty insane.

As someone who solo-melee'd every boss in the past 6 games, using spirits and overlevelling has completely liberated me from needless frustration.

To be honest, Elden Ring is a bit different to past Souls games, so banging your head against a wall isn't always smart.

Bosses in Elden Ring are tuned to be more difficult and enable use of spirits / war arts / variability in leveling.

A self-imposed hard mode is obviously your prerogative, but 12+ hours on the first boss is pretty insane.

As someone who solo-melee'd every boss in the past 6 games, using spirits and overlevelling has completely liberated me from needless frustration.
embrace skyrim mindset 🙏

Don't want any hints or anything but I just wanna say how I really would like to find a good dex scaling weapon soon. But using this d scaling straight sword for the 9 hours or so that I've played.

Wondering if I should have gone with a dex build now? I'm never sure what I want to do for a first play through of a souls game

Back
Top Bottom