• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Elden Ring |ST| Go Outside and Touch Grace

Do you like saying the word "accord" in a posh British accent (like Melina does)?

• Total voters
Gotta love that classic Souls “oh you think this mini boss is pretty easy? Okay, fight two of them at once then, hero!”

Re: BotW. This game and BotW share similarities but not in an “if you love BotW you’ll love this” kinda way.

Both have free form, player guided exploration based on landmarks and stuff. But Elden Ring is still really really focused on combat

To be honest, Elden Ring is a bit different to past Souls games, so banging your head against a wall isn't always smart.

Bosses in Elden Ring are tuned to be more difficult and enable use of spirits / war arts / variability in leveling.

A self-imposed hard mode is obviously your prerogative, but 12+ hours on the first boss is pretty insane.

As someone who solo-melee'd every boss in the past 6 games, using spirits and overlevelling has completely liberated me from needless frustration.
Tbh I'm not the type who would do this too. Something about the boss movements and seeing how I was getting better each hour kept me in the frustration/motivation cycle. Definitely wouldn't do this again. At least not on this game....XD

Well you see Metroid Dread was too difficult so that should count against it, but Elden Ring is even more difficult so it should get all 10's.
This post is a little bit weird, bro.

I think Metroid Dread kinda just took people by surprise, particularly those that were expecting something closer to the rest of Nintendo's output, in terms of game difficulty. Metroid has always been relatively niche, even despite its acclaim, so with Dread, we had a lot of newcomers who were trying the series out for the very first time. Naturally, they were caught off-guard by the relatively unguided exploration, challenging bosses, and somewhat demanding controls. The knowledge of what to expect from a Metroid game just wasn't there, or at least not in the same way that Souls games are known for their difficulty. First original 2D Metroid game in two decades, and all that.

With Elden Ring, not only do people already know what they're getting, but the high degree of challenge is part of the allure. Plus, did a substantial number of reviewers even ding Metroid Dread for its difficulty, or was that more just the discourse surrounding it? I loved Dread, easily one of the most anticipated games of my whole-ass life, but even I wouldn't give it a 10. I think the 88 it has on Metacritic is fair.

Is it worth using an ashes of war to bump one of my weapons from D dex scaling to B dex scaling? I thought it would be at first but looking at the numbers, I lose 11 in base damage and only gain 10 in scaled damage. Doesn't seem like it'll ever become worth it unless it allows the dex scaling to be upgraded to A down the line.

Is it worth using an ashes of war to bump one of my weapons from D dex scaling to B dex scaling? I thought it would be at first but looking at the numbers, I lose 11 in base damage and only gain 10 in scaled damage. Doesn't seem like it'll ever become worth it unless it allows the dex scaling to be upgraded to A down the line.
It can be if your dex gets high enough but yeah the tradeoff is often not worth it or minimal. Seems to vary a lot by weapon though, so thankfully the ashes are easy to swap and check things out.

The only thing I wish we could see in advance is what level of scaling weapons will get at various upgrade points.

That's why i see all these 10 and i get confused. If youre selling a product that regular players cannot actually play/finish/enjoy how can this be the best game ever...etc..etc...
The 10s are justified. It's an amazing game. And while plenty of people won't be able to finish it, there's a ton that will.

The game will probably sell 20+ million copies lifetime, due to word of mouth. It's really a special game.

So, uhhh, I finally went back to finish off the crystal caverns that you get teleported to right at the beginning from that chest and was feeling pretty good about myself, pushing through to the boss without many issues, and then got slaughtered. Super cool boss design and look, and unique (at least to me) so far, too. But I either need a strike weapon or to come back later, damn.

I gave it a good 15 hours but yeah, I've uninstalled the game. I don't care about the story, I really don't think the world is particularly inspired or interesting to travel especially when there are so many copy/paste caves and very often the rewards are just useless because I'm not going to respec just to use some random sword that's worse than my setup already is. If the game isn't going to give me a reason to care about what's happening it doesn't really matter how grandiose they make the bosses look, there isn't enough depth to the clunky combat like say, Nioh 2 has, to make me push through.

I'd probably give it like a 6? Give me the old FromSoft back before Miyazaki, I just don't care about a single thing this guy wants to do with his games.

It can be if your dex gets high enough but yeah the tradeoff is often not worth it or minimal. Seems to vary a lot by weapon though, so thankfully the ashes are easy to swap and check things out.

The only thing I wish we could see in advance is what level of scaling weapons will get at various upgrade points.
Ah, that's a bit of a shame. Seems like it could have been a good system to allow for different builds to use a better variety of weapons. And yeah I agree, I don't want to put all my smithing stones into a weapon only to find out the scaling doesn't upgrade how I hope it does.

Put 3 hours in so far, but I think I'm gonna wait for a patch. The inconsistent framerate is very distracting on the Series S.

Have you tried both performance and quality mode? I was thinking about getting it after I finish DS3 but I might wait as well.

The framerate is distracting at first but i'm playing the game on Framerate mode on Series S and i got used of it. 1080p 35-50fps, it's inconsistent but it's a From Software game : even if there's a patch one day we'll still have this problem.
They should have make the Quality mode 30 FPS locked at least.

The framerate is distracting at first but i'm playing the game on Framerate mode on Series S and i got used of it. 1080p 35-50fps, it's inconsistent but it's a From Software game : even if there's a patch one day we'll still have this problem.
They should have make the Quality mode 30 FPS locked at least.
It's kinda bizarre they didn't. I'd honestly be minded to take a locked 30fps quality mode over 35-50fps framerate mode.

Managed to take down the first major boss last night. Had tried maybe 20 times unsuccessfully, coming very close a couple times, before realizing I wasn't even using magic, so I could allocate all of my flasks to HP, instead of the 3/2 split that I was using. After doing that I easily beat him first try.

I could have probably beat him in a couple tries if I would have done that from the start. I do like using the magic, but found it wasn't super effective against him in particular.

I was already enjoying this game, but it completely clicked for me last night after taking a long, blue elevator ride. some of this shit in this game is straight up staggering

At around 9 hours of gameplay, I've explored a large chunk of the map, opened more then a dozen grace points, beat one boss who dropped a fire protection talisman in a cave with wolves (he was easy as crap), beat down Margit (didn't get my runes because I died as he died) and the Tree Sentinel last night. Explored maybe half of Stormveil Castle last night and decided it was time to maybe try out Castle Morne.

I've already done some grinding to get up to level 18 and buff my longsword, but I'm probably going to grind another few hours or so to really get OP for the next stretch of the game.

I posted this Tevis Thompson quote about BOTW in the ER hype thread, wrt a sequel: "Hyrule has heights & breadth but few depths. It’s the most wondrous surface, a truly stunning topography, but it’s an outside w/ no inside...(Imagine a Hyrule w/ final castle type structures strewn throughout/beneath it. Wouldn’t need to be ‘dungeons’, just architecture + threat.)...Also, with an inside or underground, a pervasive sense of the hidden extends beneath every surface. Mystery right under your feet."

after my session last night I realized that Elden Ring literally does this and it's incredible

I’m going to start this tonight after work. Only other experience with Souls games is playing Dark Souls on Switch. I dropped it at Anor Londo - I don’t remember why because I was enjoying it. I think it was just a busy time and I didn’t have the patience for it.

I’m excited for Elden Ring. I did some research on some builds and stuff so I can be a little prepared and I’m not sure what direction to go in. Any suggestions? Pure magic user looks fun. Not sure about Str or Dex builds. I think if I did melee I would wanna go sword and board and not a big 2H.

Also I had to get this for Xbox One X since I don’t have any current gen consoles. Hopefully it runs okay! I don’t mind 30 FPS.

I've been playing about 20 hours so far and explored most of the first area and the area south of it. I've beaten up to
Godrick
in terms of the story.

Does the game get less repetitive (no spoilers please)? It just feels like endless grass, castles and caves so far and all of the bosses almost feel like variations of each other and I don't feel like I need to adapt to any new boss because they all feel so similar.
Godrick, for example, just felt like Margit.
I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to exploring open worlds anymore and don't particularly want to play more if it's just more of this

Big fan of the Souls series since Dark Souls (tried Demons before it but it didn't click until Dark) but honestly so far it has been a bit of a letdown.

It also has the same problem Dark Souls 3 has, though not as extreme. Throwing Bloodborne style attacks and combos at you while giving you the move set of a Souls game. So it feels like 95% of every fight is waiting for the 1 second opening each boss has while they do some endless combo that just homes in on you.

Still enjoying it, but it is definitely pretty low on my Souls Like ranking so far

I posted this Tevis Thompson quote about BOTW in the ER hype thread, wrt a sequel: "Hyrule has heights & breadth but few depths. It’s the most wondrous surface, a truly stunning topography, but it’s an outside w/ no inside...(Imagine a Hyrule w/ final castle type structures strewn throughout/beneath it. Wouldn’t need to be ‘dungeons’, just architecture + threat.)...Also, with an inside or underground, a pervasive sense of the hidden extends beneath every surface. Mystery right under your feet."

after my session last night I realized that Elden Ring literally does this and it's incredible
Elden Ring does two things BotW doesn't - more variety in its underground locations compared to shrines and no loading screens when transitioning underground. These seem like relatively easy things for BotW 2 to improve upon. I have no doubt BotW 2 will become the new open world standard once again. The game is more ambitious than any of us realize, I'm sure.

This post is a little bit weird, bro.

I think Metroid Dread kinda just took people by surprise, particularly those that were expecting something closer to the rest of Nintendo's output, in terms of game difficulty. Metroid has always been relatively niche, even despite its acclaim, so with Dread, we had a lot of newcomers who were trying the series out for the very first time. Naturally, they were caught off-guard by the relatively unguided exploration, challenging bosses, and somewhat demanding controls. The knowledge of what to expect from a Metroid game just wasn't there, or at least not in the same way that Souls games are known for their difficulty. First original 2D Metroid game in two decades, and all that.

With Elden Ring, not only do people already know what they're getting, but the high degree of challenge is part of the allure. Plus, did a substantial number of reviewers even ding Metroid Dread for its difficulty, or was that more just the discourse surrounding it? I loved Dread, easily one of the most anticipated games of my whole-ass life, but even I wouldn't give it a 10. I think the 88 it has on Metacritic is fair.
Guy has a weird hateboner fixation for the game. I wouldn't afford the comment any kind of meaning or weight.

Elden Ring does two things BotW doesn't - more variety in its underground locations compared to shrines and no loading screens when transitioning underground. These seem like relatively easy things for BotW 2 to improve upon. I have no doubt BotW 2 will become the new open world standard once again. The game is more ambitious than any of us realize, I'm sure.
people often criticize the lack of variety in the stuff you do in the open world of BOTW, which I think is largely overblown (though I think it does, especially late game, too often come down to shrines and seeds). I've played about 20 hours of Elden Ring, and this could end up evening out with time, but so far the variety of everything is unmatched, not just the underground locations. seems like an incredibly hard act to follow. but BOTW knocked me on my ass, and it wouldn't surprise me if they did it again

people often criticize the lack of variety in the stuff you do in the open world of BOTW, which I think is largely overblown (though I think it does, especially late game, too often come down to shrines and seeds). I've played about 20 hours of Elden Ring, and this could end up evening out with time, but so far the variety of everything is unmatched, not just the underground locations. seems like an incredibly hard act to follow. but BOTW knocked me on my ass, and it wouldn't surprise me if they did it again
I've played ER for around 45 hours and there are definitely tons of cool "holy shit" moments throughout, but, like every open world game (even BotW), the game has plenty of repeated moments, events, discoveries, etc. Which is completely understandable, considering the scope of the game.

Despite any issues I have with it (not very many, fortunately!), ER is the first open world game since BotW that I feel actually deserves to be in the same conservation as that game. It's incredible.

Despite any issues I have with it (not very many, fortunately!), ER is the first open world game since BotW that I feel actually deserves to be in the same conservation as that game. It's incredible.
it's so dope to finally see a game that took the right lessons from it.

Please stop antagonising each other - Sumio, Donnie, Squiddo
You keep saying this. But I don't have anything against this game. I have a problem with you though.
See you in the parking lot, baby.

aggressive West Side Story clicking

This game shines the hardest when you get to core main areas. These parts of the game feel the most like the old souls games. It's here where your teeth get kicked in IMO. The first castle is very well designed, with level design that overlaps on itself with plenty of shortcuts and checkpoints, as well as optional areas that have decent treasure. Just pure souls gameplay.

The open world design slows the game down quite a bit. You can spend hours before leveling up later in the game. Finding new items (especially armor) is pretty slow since you have to travel to areas on this big map, clear camps or small caverns/catacombs to get something new. And when you find something you likely can't use it based on your build. I think that makes it sting a bit because it takes forever to find stuff now. In the old souls games items and equipment come at a faster clip so the feeling of finding something cool that makes an immediate impact on your game was more present.

I think the issue is that the focused areas of the game are spaced out between hours and hours of open world exploration. It's almost required too, because you're pretty weak if you go straight for the major bosses. You'll also miss out on a ton of items, resources, level ups, etc. You can bum rush the main bosses but it requires a skill level I frankly don't have lol. Personally I find the open world enjoyable since I enjoy exploring and taking things slow. I'm not super rushed to progress.

That being said I'm 25 hours in so far and the complaints about areas feeling the same are moot IMO. I sorta started to feel fatigued of the starting location but rest assured, the sections of the game that open up after that first main boss are incredibly cool. This is when the game actually starts for real IMO.

Totally understandable if people don't want to sink in 25-30 hours before they start to experience the really cool stuff the game has to offer.

Also this is by far the most relaxing souls game. At least when in the open area. Most encounters are trivialized with the horse. It's fun to just feel super powerful and mow down mobs of enemies while on horseback. The focused areas are pure stress though!

Almost time for Dungeon #2, which I found the key for almost completely by accident! Woo! I also found the first instance of giant bugs in the game, I knew they had to be there somewhere shudders.

If anyone knows: I realized I have a key to a door in Stormveil Castle in my inventory and I don't remember ever using this? Even though I'm pretty sure I've been over that area with a fine-tooth comb. Does anyone know where that goes to? I may have used it and forgot, but I don't think so?

This game shines the hardest when you get to core main areas. These parts of the game feel the most like the old souls games. It's here where your teeth get kicked in IMO. The first castle is very well designed, with level design that overlaps on itself with plenty of shortcuts and checkpoints, as well as optional areas that have decent treasure. Just pure souls gameplay.

The open world design slows the game down quite a bit. You can spend hours before leveling up later in the game. Finding new items (especially armor) is pretty slow since you have to travel to areas on this big map, clear camps or small caverns/catacombs to get something new. And when you find something you likely can't use it based on your build. I think that makes it sting a bit because it takes forever to find stuff now. In the old souls games items and equipment come at a faster clip so the feeling of finding something cool that makes an immediate impact on your game was more present.

I think the issue is that the focused areas of the game are spaced out between hours and hours of open world exploration. It's almost required too, because you're pretty weak if you go straight for the major bosses. You'll also miss out on a ton of items, resources, level ups, etc. You can bum rush the main bosses but it requires a skill level I frankly don't have lol. Personally I find the open world enjoyable since I enjoy exploring and taking things slow. I'm not super rushed to progress.

That being said I'm 25 hours in so far and the complaints about areas feeling the same are moot IMO. I sorta started to feel fatigued of the starting location but rest assured, the sections of the game that open up after that first main boss are incredibly cool. This is when the game actually starts for real IMO.

Totally understandable if people don't want to sink in 25-30 hours before they start to experience the really cool stuff the game has to offer.

Also this is by far the most relaxing souls game. At least when in the open area. Most encounters are trivialized with the horse. It's fun to just feel super powerful and mow down mobs of enemies while on horseback. The focused areas are pure stress though!
Agreed. The open world is gorgeous and fun to explore, but can get a bit overwhelming at times. But the dungeons (at least, Stormveil, since that's all I've done so far) are phenomenal old-school Souls perfection.

I also really like the catacombs, they feel like single-floor Chalice dungeons from Bloodborne with some cool rewards and some tricky puzzling/pathfinding. They don't get as boring or long as chalice dungeons though since they're so spaced out and broken up, which is nice.

man, I cleared two whole ass castles to the south of the map before I even beat Margit.

man, I cleared two whole ass castles to the south of the map before I even beat Margit.
Speaking of: I assume you mean Castle Morne? I have questions on that for everyone, I'll spoiler it just in case, but I feel like I'm missing something about that place:

So first you meet the girl on the road who escaped from there, and she gives you the letter to her father. I went to Castle Morne and cleared it out besides the island at the back, and gave her father the letter. I warped back to the girl, but she was now dead. So I went back to the castle, and her father was gone and I couldn't find him anywhere.

Anyway, I then went to the island and fought the boss (leonine misbegotten), and got a giant sword sword, but that seems to be the end of things here? I still have no idea where her father went (unless the boss WAS her dad or something like that?).

Finally, why are the Grace Lines (or whatever they're called) pointing me toward Castle Morne when there's not a greater rune there?

Speaking of: I assume you mean Castle Morne? I have questions on that for everyone, I'll spoiler it just in case, but I feel like I'm missing something about that place:

So first you meet the girl on the road who escaped from there, and she gives you the letter to her father. I went to Castle Morne and cleared it out besides the island at the back, and gave her father the letter. I warped back to the girl, but she was now dead. So I went back to the castle, and her father was gone and I couldn't find him anywhere.

Anyway, I then went to the island and fought the boss (leonine misbegotten), and got a giant sword sword, but that seems to be the end of things here? I still have no idea where her father went (unless the boss WAS her dad or something like that?).

Finally, why are the Grace Lines (or whatever they're called) pointing me toward Castle Morne when there's not a greater rune there?
Nobodu knows how to save Irena yet, apparently. I was devastated.

Also, have you gone back to where you met her father since you got the sword? If yes, have you gone back to Irena's body since? I think there is definitely more to this quest, but I'm afraid we may have gotten the bad ending.

Castle "mourn" indeed.

Also, have you gone back to where you met her father since you got the sword? If yes, have you gone back to Irena's body since? I think there is definitely more to this quest, but I'm afraid we may have gotten the bad ending.

Castle "mourn" indeed.
I hadn't considered the idea that I could have saved her. Oh.

Oh no.

Castle "mourn" indeed.
I THINK I went back to where he was after I got the sword, but I could be wrong. I might do so again just to be sure later when I can play again.

Also I know it's an ancient meme at this point but I instantly thought of the "Yo dawg I heard you like swords" meme and I can't get it out of my head, lol

Can anyone say if the Uchigatana is worth properly investing in as a Dex build?
I don't know, unfortunately. It seems like a really nice sword, but I'm assuming there are other katanas in the game that are probably better? I just haven't found any other ones yet.

I will say, though, it doesn't take long before you're swimming in level 1 and 2 upgrade materials, so I wouldn't feel too bad about upgrading at least until +6 to play with it.

Just popping in again to say this game is incredible and I can't get any work done

Just popping in again to say this game is incredible and I can't get any work done
I'm posting on lunch break and here and there on my phone today, and literally all I can think about is planning out what I'm going to do next once I get home to play again. "I need to go back to location X, oh yeah check in with NPC Y, and then finally start main dungeon 2... and oh wait, there's that entire other area I keep forgetting to explore, too!" etc.

I may have a problem.

Ahh, hmmm, yeah, about that. Wait until you get to a certain region that evokes anxiety and despair.

Agreed. The open world is gorgeous and fun to explore, but can get a bit overwhelming at times. But the dungeons (at least, Stormveil, since that's all I've done so far) are phenomenal old-school Souls perfection.

I also really like the catacombs, they feel like single-floor Chalice dungeons from Bloodborne with some cool rewards and some tricky puzzling/pathfinding. They don't get as boring or long as chalice dungeons though since they're so spaced out and broken up, which is nice.
Great point about the catacombs, mines and caves feeling like chalice dungeons. This is a much better implementation of that system imo.

Ahh, hmmm, yeah, about that. Wait until you get to a certain region that evokes anxiety and despair.
If it's where I'm thinking of, I poked my head in and explored a little and then promptly noped right out of there. I'll come back when I've done some other places and feel a little more powerful to offset the oppressive feel of the area.

Had some time to sink this afternoon and made some good progress. Made my way through most of Stormveil Castle last time, but warped out of there to keep exploring Limgrave. Found an area with a bunch of smithing stones, a cool wolf man, took out three field bosses, upgraded some gear, gained maybe 4-5 levels. I also found an elevator in the forest that literally made me say "Wow"aloud, to myself lol. What a fucking game.

7 hours in at this point, so lots more to go. Can't wait to see some of the weirder stuff people are hinting at in the thread.

The only thing, and I mean the ONLY thing I'd change about this game is fixing the framerate. That's it. It would be nice to consistently hit 60FPS on my Series S.

Had some time to sink this afternoon and made some good progress. Made my way through most of Stormveil Castle last time, but warped out of there to keep exploring Limgrave. Found an area with a bunch of smithing stones, a cool wolf man, took out three field bosses, upgraded some gear, gained maybe 4-5 levels. I also found an elevator in the forest that literally made me say "Wow"aloud, to myself lol. What a fucking game.

7 hours in at this point, so lots more to go. Can't wait to see some of the weirder stuff people are hinting at in the thread.
My friend told me about that elevator and my reaction was an out loud "what the fuck?" I love it.

I’ve been wondering about this too. I felt like I covered the castle comprehensively and did everything but I had the same result.

Part of me wonders if I wasn’t supposed to give that guy the letter/he wasn’t actually the dad?

I cleaned ALL the first part of the map I think and still haven't found a single good piece of armor.

I had my second wow moment on a lift going up to the Academy. Elevators just don’t disappoint in this game.
The legacy dungeons in this game are no joke. They're among the best Souls areas ever designed!

It's crazy how ahead of everyone else From Software is when it comes to the Souls-like genre (which makes sense, seeing as From invented it). A bunch of other developers are still trying to create a game on the same level as Bloodborne, Dark Souls III, Sekiro, etc.....and FS just leapfrogged everyone lmao.

Back
Top Bottom