• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Elden Ring |ST| Go Outside and Touch Grace

Do you like saying the word "accord" in a posh British accent (like Melina does)?

• Total voters
Seeing so many people talking about some boss called Margit early on and I guess I must have missed them cause I've played about 4 hours and have never seen them haha. Suppose that's the thing about open world games.
You can’t miss them to progress the game, it’s the only mandatory boss from the start. There’s just lots and lots else you can do - I’ve tried him a few times and do okay until the third phase and I run out of magic, so I’m back to exploring, leveling up, and finding new gear.

Just found the coolest place…

If you’re exploring the forest in the southeast and see a little building, make sure you go in and take the ride down.

You can’t miss them to progress the game, it’s the only mandatory boss from the start. There’s just lots and lots else you can do - I’ve tried him a few times and do okay until the third phase and I run out of magic, so I’m back to exploring, leveling up, and finding new gear.

Just found the coolest place…

If you’re exploring the forest in the southeast and see a little building, make sure you go in and take the ride down.
I just found this too and my mind was blown. Especially for the implications it might have going forward.

Currently exploring Stormveil though, that area seems like it’s for much later on

Okay I finally beat him, so for anyone struggling with the first boss before Stormveil Castle (Margit the Fell):

This definitely seems like what you’d usually call a “gear/level check” boss, but since this is Elden Ring I think I’d call it an “exploration check” boss. The game is basically asking you if you’ve done a lot of wandering around and discovering what the game has to offer, upgraded a weapon, done some NPC stuff, etc. before fighting this guy.

I highly recommend doing what everyone keeps saying to do in this game: If he’s too tough, don’t beat your head against him, just go do more exploring. Come back later once you’ve gotten some more levels, gear, cool tools, etc. I think that’s going to be the single most important thing to keep in mind for probably the entire game: This isn’t Dark Souls. You don’t have to beat this guy right now.

I beat Margit after a couple attempts with the spirit wolves, but it was very close and I ran out of magic so had to deal the last hits in melee.

Godrick's second phase. Damn.

I feel so close, yet so far.
He's down. AND I have a red hooded cape that makes me look fiiine.

Did anybody else expect The Two Fingers to literally be two giant gnarly Rampant Rabbit ass fingers? Because I sure didn't. I assumed it was a title or something.

The delay and buffer is definitely a bit annoying. The amount of times I'll press dodge but before it comes out I get hit and then after being hit it dodges so I get hit again is too many.

Damn, this game is so good.
I'm six hours in and will dive right back now, and I'm loving it to death. It just feels like Dark Souls in a new, more open world with some great new additions. Exactly what I wanted.

Happily progressing through Stormveil Castle but wanderlust got the better of me and I decided to explore more of Limgrave, particularly eastern Limgrave. So I found what looked like a dungeon and long story short several hours later I'm in an underground cave full of stars trying to light a bunch of fires while being chased by giant ghost barbarians so I can... presumably fight a giant dead elk as a boss? I have no idea.

It's like that Rick and Morty 'In and out, 20 minute adventure' thing.

I beat Margit after a couple attempts with the spirit wolves, but it was very close and I ran out of magic so had to deal the last hits in melee.
I wonder how he (and a lot of this game) will change in difficulty based on build. I'm running a pure sword-and-board quality build, although I haven't found much in the way of greatswords that I like so I'm currently using the Great Epee. Might dip into faith a little later, I have 10 faith now for cure poison.

But Margit was pretty tough for a melee build, almost uniquely so for a first boss due to:

A) His second half in particular is RELENTLESS and has some very long combos that do a ton of stamina damage if you're blocking. But the dodge timing is also tricky and varies up a lot, too.

B) Similar to A), he's hard to block against because all his golden spirit weapon attacks (are these magic or holy damage?) pierce through your shield, so you still take a good chunk of damage, especially from the hammer.

So he feels like he might be easier as a ranged caster, but then again he can close the distance on you VERY quickly, so... I don't know!

I'm just slowly taking my time getting to the S. Castle, exploring sideways more often than not. 😂 Finding out all sorts of things and LOVING the additions they've made to combat, the way you can mix and match actions later seems extremely inviting.

Really fun game so far, you make your own mini-objectives and always feel like you're learning. I feared Dark Souls wouldn't translate to open world- as intricate level design is one of the series highlights- but it's all been pretty tight so far. The spectral steed does a lot and I love it, not clunky at all.

I have heard it confirmed a certain move is hidden in the game-
the fabled Bloodborne sidestep dash
and oh god it will be perfect for my next playthrough as a samurai. 😂 Much like going for the Aerial Lift power in BotW, I can see that becoming something I dash for if it's accessible enough. No idea where it is though!

I've also heard there are invisible walls, so good fucking luck to us offline souls. :LOL:

Crab beat my ass.
No joke, crab enemies in every souls game hit like fucking trucks. They're truly monsters!

Edit: With today's PC patch and unlocking my shader cache in NVIDIA Control Panel, I feel like I'm getting damn near locked 60fps at 1080 with an 8GB card.

i hate to admit it, but i found a bonfire right next to an enemy battle. i have been cheesing all morning leveling up my stats lol.

Any consensus on what's the "easiest" class for beginners to FS games? I know that's not a word that fits these games at all haha. Maybe simplest to understand playstyle is a better phrasing?

I am fucking loving this game. I stayed up way too late playing this.

It's like Breath of the Wild but I get beat down all the time. But it has literally all of the things I loved about BotW. It's an open world game actually about exploring.

I am so bad at this game though lol. How do you defeat those horse guys?

The game REALLY rewards exploration. You are not exploring only for the beauty of exploration but also to be much stronger. I just found something to help me fight Margit easier lol.
I'm heading south now to level up.

What level was everyone when they beat Margit? I've been trying them at 21 and best I've gotten is maybe close to a quarter of health left. Wondering if I'm a bit underleveled perhaps. I've explored a few different places already before coming across him which leads me to believe I'm not but I'm not sure.

What level was everyone when they beat Margit? I've been trying them at 21 and best I've gotten is maybe close to a quarter of health left. Wondering if I'm a bit underleveled perhaps. I've explored a few different places already before coming across him which leads me to believe I'm not but I'm not sure.
I was at 21, but it'll depend on build (I'm a pure Int caster) and, without wanting to sound like that kind of Dark Souls player, skill and learning the fight as well.

You can always try heading elsewhere for levels or gear, or you can work on getting attacks and dodging down. Are you using the spirit summons?

This is probably the best open world I've ever played. Constantly finding new thing, it's actually insane how this even exists.

Talked this in Discord, but maybe would be useful here too. If you want more options regarding health regeneration there is a talisman called Assassin's Crimson Dagger which is found very early in the game and can help you a lot. It give you back health with critical attacks.

You can found it here:

IMG-20220226-161020.jpg

ccacf65a-f1ec-4ff4-aa47-e884c9224b63.png

Now let me say something fanboyish: We go Bloodborneeeeeeeeeeeee fuck yeah!

I was at 21, but it'll depend on build (I'm a pure Int caster) and, without wanting to sound like that kind of Dark Souls player, skill and learning the fight as well.

You can always try heading elsewhere for levels or gear, or you can work on getting attacks and dodging down. Are you using the spirit summons?
I've not really looked into how the spirit summons work yet so no I'm not. Think I might do a little exploration for maybe a new weapon cause I've not really improved much in that regard and then come back and give him another go. Thanks for the advice.

I was around 30, and it was with the aid of the nearby summon (the woman down the road from the boss door)

Did that Discord link ever get posted or is it one of those 'keeping out the riff raff' type deals?

It is one of those deals. What a shame.

After some serious struggle early on - I've started to enjoy the game. It still has that FS feel I dont love but it's a fun world to explore.

I finally beat Margit earlier, a pain in the behind for sure - I grinded those big pink fellas on the field below warmaster shack and I gained liked 5 levels in 15 minutes.. that helped :p

whats a good build for a caster? i'm doing that too, but ive been putting everything into stamina

whats a good build for a caster? i'm doing that too, but ive been putting everything into stamina
I don't know if it's a good build, but I've got Vigor and Mind at 20 and am pumping Int at the moment. I haven't even touched Endurance since base stamina seems to be enough for my purposes at the moment and I'm still wearing the starter robes and dodging rather than blocking.

I don't think comparisons between the two games are especially accurate but I will say Elden Ring is maybe the first game since botw to have me this enthralled in playing it. Loving it atm.

That first "story" boss is the hardest souls first boss yet 🙈 that was most certainly a insane skill check. Had to use a npc summon and spirits. Used a fast mace like weapon, because slow weapons are very risky for this one. Father Gascoigne was easy compared to this one haha.

That first "story" boss is the hardest souls first boss yet 🙈 that was most certainly a insane skill check. Had to use a npc summon and spirits. Used a fast mace like weapon, because slow weapons are very risky for this one. Father Gascoigne was easy compared to this one haha.
I stayed up all night trying to beat him. Finally did after like 50 attempts. And I had explored a ton and had lots of equiment and was leveled up. Yeesh. Hardest boss fight I've ever done.

I started Astrologer and I've been investing most of my level ups into Strength, so I can use a better weapon. Is trying to use a split melee/magic build a mistake?

I started Astrologer and I've been investing most of my level ups into Strength, so I can use a better weapon. Is trying to use a split melee/magic build a mistake?
No, that's a pretty solid direction for a character. Getting enough stats to use your weapon of choice and then mostly focusing on health seems to be the way to go if you want the easiest time here, pumping offensive stats above equipment requirements seems a little bit weaker in this game because scaling generally isn't as strong. If you use magic just level your respective stat for it here and there when you're comfortable with the amount of health you have. (I stopped leveling vigor at 30, you could go higher for sure).

I really like it so far! I don't think it's quite the masterpiece or revelation is was talked up to be, but that stuff is subjective. It probably is and I'm just stupid.

First main-story boss fucked me up about 50 times, but I finally showed him who's boss (with the help of Rogier and a ghost Jellyfish)

No, that's a pretty solid direction for a character. Getting enough stats to use your weapon of choice and then mostly focusing on health seems to be the way to go if you want the easiest time here, pumping offensive stats above equipment requirements seems a little bit weaker in this game because scaling generally isn't as strong. If you use magic just level your respective stat for it here and there when you're comfortable with the amount of health you have. (I stopped leveling vigor at 30, you could go higher for sure).

Thanks! Yeah, I started Astrologer because I wanted to start with somewhat capable magic skill and ability. My general gameplay with more difficult enemies to chip away some health with magic before going in with melee. Seems to working pretty well, and should be even better once I manage to find a better spell.

I've been exploring so long I've genuinely forgotten what my objective is. I know I need the other half of this medallion, and a key to get into the academy, but I spent so long underground I've forgotten all the clues I was given. I knew I should've written those down!

I found the boss at Stormveil Castle and I'm pretty sure I didn't found everything yet 😱 I want keep exploring this place haha

I'm having a ton of fun with the game so far, but it is kind of funny how I end up treating exploration in this game in comparison to games like BotW.

There's plenty of 'hey what's that over there?' but instead of the curiosity I would feel in other games I'm more like, 'what's that over there? something that will kill me? I'mma head out then.'

It isn't 'oh cool, a huge bear!' its 'oh crap, a huge bear, run away!'

I really like it so far! I don't think it's quite the masterpiece or revelation is was talked up to be, but that stuff is subjective. It probably is and I'm just stupid.
yeah i was sort of expecting a transcendent experience like BotW. but i'm thinking it's a slow burn, not front-loaded with awe like BotW.

in fact i could even imagine this as a sort of reverse experience, when i was at 180 hours in BotW i was getting burnt out with repetative items and enemies, but with ER i could see myself doing a game+ run just to try out different strategies

I'm having a ton of fun with the game so far, but it is kind of funny how I end up treating exploration in this game in comparison to games like BotW.

There's plenty of 'hey what's that over there?' but instead of the curiosity I would feel in other games I'm more like, 'what's that over there? something that will kill me? I'mma head out then.'

It isn't 'oh cool, a huge bear!' its 'oh crap, a huge bear, run away!'
all i do is run away :ROFLMAO: ya'll talking about bosses and i'm over here picking flowers

Fuck you Margit. Time to use my jellyfish summon to show him who's boss.

Also
Rune Bear is one fucking hard boss too with how large its swipe attacks are and dive attacks that send me flying. The area is so small too. Going to try beating the Big Bear again tonight with summons and see if my levelling up has paid off.

Checking my save time I've already accumulated 13 hours on this game in two and a half days. Crazy to think about lol.

Onto the final zone after 45 hours (over 3 days).

The first 4 demigods went down on my first attempts, all by pure fluke (and using spirit summon to handle aggro).

Unless something goes catastrophically wrong in the final stretch, this will comfortably knock BOTW off my no.1 of all-time spot.

What an unreal game.

Was able to get a little under six hours in this weekend, which is a lot for me! Really enjoying it so far.

Being able to go off and do 100 other things when you get stuck is a game changer! Just kicked back and explored for a few hours, cleared out a few ruins bosses, then started heading toward Stormveil. Margit was tough as nails, jusssst eked my way past on maybe my 12th try lol. Think I’m pretty close to the end of the area but getting a little stumped again. Those blade birds are hilarious. 😂

Might warp back to the open world and poke around a bit before trying to finish it out. Looking through this thread, there is definitely some big stuff I missed around Limgrave.

Nice to see most people are enjoying it as well! And as of today, I was able to connect to the servers and finally see everyone’s messages / signs (playing on Xbox)! Nice to see that fixed up.

These flipping flower enemies. Do they ever let up? The poison area in this game is just an anxiety driven as all the others in the past lol.

There's also
straight up Bloodborne enemies in this game, the alien/Cthulhu inspired enemies and crystal digging area in general is straight up Bloodborne!

Onto the final zone after 45 hours (over 3 days).

The first 4 demigods went down on my first attempts, all by pure fluke (and using spirit summon to handle aggro).

Unless something goes catastrophically wrong in the final stretch, this will comfortably knock BOTW off my no.1 of all-time spot.

What an unreal game.
Damn, I've still been exploring Limgrave after beating Godrick, though I'm looking to start Liurnia of the Lakes now haha

I was level 20 took some when I finally beat him theres an item u can get to restrain him for a few seconds if u havent come across it yet

Damn, I've still been exploring Limgrave after beating Godrick, though I'm looking to start Liurnia of the Lakes now haha

lol yeh I am 21 hrs into the game and Main boss wise have only done Margit

I was exploring the castle last night then for some reason decided to explore more of the world and quick travelled to the Third church of Marika, after exploring around I found what looked like an observatory and a lift inside
Taking the lift down I ended up in an underground city which has stars in the sky, first enemy I ran into absolutely tanked all my spells (Castle enmies are going down in 1-2 hits, this guy took 7) so I've just been riding past them all exploring this underground world"

Pd6F6H0.jpg

Edit *Added Image, excuse my Potato quality Series S ;)

Last edited:
Played for 18 hours now, beat Margit and Godric (the first was way harder than the latter) and a bunch of mini bosses in the world or in caves.
This game is phenomenal. There is almost too much you can do, it's crazy.

Im using a speer, that I got from beating a certain someone, and a shield, with a dex build. It works really well, but I hope I find another weapon of my liking soon, for a bit variety.

Does someone know what to do with the tears?

Back
Top Bottom