• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Elden Ring |ST| Go Outside and Touch Grace

Do you like saying the word "accord" in a posh British accent (like Melina does)?

• Total voters
Indeed!

Is anyone else here still playing this game?
I've been itching to do another playthrough at some point, but I've decided to wait until there's DLC (whenever that happens) since I have so much else to play right now already.

Indeed!

I played it on both PS5 and Xbox Series X around launch but now play on Steam Deck if I just want to boot it up for a few minutes of exploring or messing around. Still incredible. Hope you stick with it and enjoy it. Keep us posted on your progress! :)

I played it on both PS5 and Xbox Series X around launch but now play on Steam Deck if I just want to boot it up for a few minutes of exploring or messing around. Still incredible. Hope you stick with it and enjoy it. Keep us posted on your progress! :)
Sure thing!

Yeah, I also find it somewhat "addicting" due to the Steam Deck that I'm now using and the ability to just pick it up and go, you know? Plus, the gameplay is surprisingly good and up my alley.

Like once a month I get the urge to mess with one of these, and there's still fun to be had for me in ER so I'll poke at it some.
Oh nice!

That's great to read.

It is surprisingly "addicting" because the concept of just leveling up your character just to get stronger (but don't get killed or you'll lose your runes) is neat. It's an old thing, but I missed it. And possibly dying but still keeping your runes offers a nice challenge to it all.

Also, I'm an A Song of Ice and Fire fan so I thought I might as well play this game.

Oh nice!

That's great to read.

It is surprisingly "addicting" because the concept of just leveling up your character just to get stronger (but don't get killed or you'll lose your runes) is neat. It's an old thing, but I missed it. And possibly dying but still keeping your runes offers a nice challenge to it all.

Also, I'm an A Song of Ice and Fire fan so I thought I might as well play this game.
I mean the thing that gets me back to these games is they are very relaxing and free flowing, so I just chill and vacuum through them often. Good vibes for me. Setting is pretty laid back this time around, even the darker zones have their serenity.

Indeed!

I've actually just bought a PS5 and Im obsessed with this game. I happen to be working less these days (Im a tour guide and this is the low season), and I can't stop playing. I have two friends who are huge fans of the game and they're replaying it with me in coop, and it's been a blast. It really does feel like an adventure when you go inside a castle with your friends and you warn each other of dangers and so on.

I started with the samurai but now Im leaning into magic, Im level 40 and only beaten 1 boss. Im trying to explore everything in this beautifully designed world.

I mean the thing that gets me back to these games is they are very relaxing and free flowing, so I just chill and vacuum through them often. Good vibes for me. Setting is pretty laid back this time around, even the darker zones have their serenity.
An unexpectedly cozy game, eh?

I like cozy games...

All good.

Frankly, I wonder if I'll get to play any DLC at all because they so far haven't announced anything, but I'm hopeful.
7-8 months turn around from release to DLC is pretty typical for Fromsoft, and they've pushed DLC a year later a couple times before. All the titles From did with Bamco got kinda milked on the DLC front so I wouldn't be surprised to see something beefy pop up soonish. If it doesn't happen oh well, just would be pretty surprising to me.

7-8 months turn around from release to DLC is pretty typical for Fromsoft, and they've pushed DLC a year later a couple times before. All the titles From did with Bamco got kinda milked on the DLC front so I wouldn't be surprised to see something beefy pop up soonish. If it doesn't happen oh well, just would be pretty surprising to me.
Oh good point. I don't often play Souls-games or From Software games so I don't readily know this.

Things labeled for DLC were also datamined in the game. Still not a guarantee, but I'd be surprised if Elden Ring didn't get any.

I simply imagine if much smaller games profit-wise received fantastic DLC, shouldn't their most successful project by far receive some attention?

Regardless, it does have enough content- even if I want more. 😂

holiday-classics-elf.gif

Finally!

wish it had a trailer, but the image is something, I guess.

I'm getting a post-story vibe because of the tree, but I'm fine either way.

Currently in development is such a vague statement, and I have no idea when to expect this to arrive hah

Not even a trailer makes me think that this might be quite some time away

Finally!!!! The fact that they're announcing it far in advance makes me think that it's gonna be huge. Can't wait!

I'm at a point now (slightly more than 25h overall into the game across two characters) where I don't even know why I keep on playing anymore. The gameplay loop and structure doesn't seem to work out for me at all. I'm just super bored already.
To me personally, as someone that adores Bloodborne, likes DS3 a lot, and thinks FromSoft are one of the best in this industry, ER is such a disappointment that I truly struggle with accepting my own opinion on the game as valid. It feels a bit like I ended up in some kind of bizzaro alternative timeline, lol. I don't think I can really articulate my feelings towards this game any better than that.

Suffice it to say that I am a hypocrite and that I as such continued playing Elden Ring. I am more invested and immersed in the game and its world now than I was before, but that is largely down to me changing my approach to how I engage with the game overall. I have basically stopped trying to play it like Breath of the Wild, rather started treating its open world as only a means to get to my next destination instead of engaging with it all too actively.
Which, I would say, still means that FromSoft's open world design approach does not work as well as I had hoped it would or as well as I think they should have tried to make it work, especially in a post Breath of the Wild world. In that sense, I feel like Elden Ring's open world design leaves a lot to be desired on the one hand, and that FromSoft's way of teaching you how they want you to engage with this world on the other hand is just as lacking.
I also have a hard time calling this a good open world game when its world itself is what poses an obstacle to my enjoyment, which is quite the opposite of what I have come to expect from FromSoft games these last few years.
It basically, for me right now, boils down to: typical strengths of FromSoft Souls games combined with some great level design, but also attached is an open world not far above other open world games in terms of quality or engagement. I simply had higher expectations going into this, given we are talking about one of the finest development houses in this industry which otherwise features a ton of open world games full of bloated, boring busywork and not much sense to going open world to begin with, and I am a bit disappointed to say that this assessment also holds partially true for Elden Ring, in my eyes that is, obviously. Some of the highs exceed so many other games so easily, but damn, if its lows aren't also as low as some of the others. I have simply come to expect better than that from FromSoft, not going to lie. I think "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" is an idiom quite fitting in this case.​

The game is so large, you're definitely going to figure out why you play it if you see it to its end LMAO. It clicked with me immediately, but the only other game I guess you could call a modern open world that I play is BotW, so I don't generally engage with them. I personally loved ER's world design and layout and exploration methods, but I love Soulsbournekiro games.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who finds these games comfy and relaxing

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who finds these games comfy and relaxing
Same here. There's something incredibly chill about wandering the world and powering through levels. Once I managed to relax and not stress out about difficult sections or losing some souls now and then the games became infinitely better.

Besides, the Souls games have some of the most serene and atmospheric places in gaming. It may suck for enemies and some other things, but I LOVE Shrine of Amana in Dark Souls 2. The roots, the lighting, and the haunting singing make me always look forward to it on a playthrough. See also Anor Londo, or probably one of my GOAT videogame locations, Irythil in Dark Souls 3.

I've played through every Soulsborne game multiple times. Dark Souls 1, 3, Bloodborne. Many, many times.

I have not played past the first five minutes of Dark Souls 2.

I'm saving it for a special time in my life. Not sure when yet. I barely know anything about it. I have Scholar of the First Sin on my shelf.

I've played through every Soulsborne game multiple times. Dark Souls 1, 3, Bloodborne. Many, many times.

I'm saving it for a special time in my life. Not sure when yet. I barely know anything about it. I have Scholar of the First Sin on my shelf.
It has a rough reputation among Souls games but IMO it's still quite good. Biggest complaints are that its combat is a bit slower more akin to DS1, and that it doesn't have the greatest bosses, and I think both of those are fair complaints. But it still has some really excellent locations and there's a lot to like about it.

DS2 is a weird one for sure. I like it a lot still but boy is it a little rough of an experience. If we ever just get a general Fromsoft thread I'll be sure to make a long stupid post about it sometime.

I definitely find the series comfy and cozy by the sheer amount of time I spend listening to nice ambient music while waltzing around scary ruins- it adds up over the course of a playthrough, that I inevitably remember the good times and not the Caelid times.

I think DS2 is mediocre- I didn't mind playing it once I modded controller deadzones away from the horrid altered defaults- but once through its lands with all of the DLC was entirely enough for me in this lifetime.

My condolences. Scholar of the First Sin is in many ways a worse version of Dark Souls 2 in how the changes exacerbate the inherent problems of the base game by railroading you further and changing enemy quantities/locations in ways that make several sections far more obnoxious. It's a game that was often criticized by fans as being "hard for the sake of being hard instead of challenging to encourage you to overcome it." On the plus side there are tons of fun and viable builds in the game despite severe balance issues.

I will say that playing Dark Souls 2 vanilla on release had the most enjoyable mage build & gameplay that the series has ever seen. Putting together a pure mage using sorceries, miracles, pyromancies and hexes created an incredible experience in determining what spells to bring and use in a given scenario while feeling very rewarded for matching elemental weaknesses to enemies/bosses. The subsequent patches nerfed spells into oblivion and the DLC consists of enemies and bosses with utterly obnoxious resistances to spells to really put the nail in the coffin.

Elden Ring is better regarding spellcaster builds than the low, low, LOW bar set by Dark Souls 3/Bloodborne, but a unified resource system will always be inferior compared to the charges/scrolls system of Dark Souls 2.

Music from 8 years ago:

Is this in the final form of the game?

Yeah, this is the Cleric Beast's boss music.

On an unrelated note, I just finished my new game plus playthrough of Elden Ring. Switched from the sorcery build of my first playthrough to faith, and was dual wielding whips for most of the game. Felt really good to tear through a bunch of areas and bosses that gave me so much trouble on my first run.

I just lost saved data for my Elden Ring play-through; I'm back in a previous area (East Limgrave) after having completed the Weeping Peninsula.

I was using WeMod but I think I was online the entire time.

And as a result (and I could be wrong about this), I lost my saved data and I got a message shortly afterward saying that I have a penalty of 180 days.

So yeah, now I'm back at a previous point and it's practically demoralized me.

Sigh

I just lost saved data for my Elden Ring play-through; I'm back in a previous area (East Limgrave) after having completed the Weeping Peninsula.

I was using WeMod but I think I was online the entire time.

And as a result (and I could be wrong about this), I lost my saved data and I got a message shortly afterward saying that I have a penalty of 180 days.

So yeah, now I'm back at a previous point and it's practically demoralized me.

Sigh
oof, that sucks

always gotta double check and not go online with cheats!

oof, that sucks

always gotta double check and not go online with cheats!
Yeah, I was trying to just enjoy the story, you know?

Explore and chill out with the game.

But eh, yeah, I should've been more careful.

I cleared one map and now I have to do it again (I was set back to before that map was cleared)...

Yeah, I was trying to just enjoy the story, you know?

Explore and chill out with the game.

But eh, yeah, I should've been more careful.

I cleared one map and now I have to do it again (I was set back to before that map was cleared)...
maybe since you lost your save data, you should try going a different direction to change things up? come back to the Weeping Peninsula later, when the wound’s less fresh

and there are plenty of reasons to use cheats, for sure — but just about anything online these days has cheat detection that will make a mess of your shit.

the good news is — next time you’ll probably double-check to make sure you’re offline!

This year is the year; I’m finally gonna play through this thing. Just want to finish up a couple longer games I’m already in the middle of so I can properly concentrate on it. Lost my way a little after Radahn the first time. Maybe I’ll try a samurai?

This year is the year; I’m finally gonna play through this thing. Just want to finish up a couple longer games I’m already in the middle of so I can properly concentrate on it. Lost my way a little after Radahn the first time. Maybe I’ll try a samurai?
This is basically what happened to me. I beat Radahn, then made my way to just outside the capital. Then I got covid, couldn’t play for like a week, and then never turned the game back on. Ugh.

I do want to go back to it, but I can’t decide if I should just pick up where I left off, or start a new character.

I don’t wanna grind that bird again, man.

I don’t wanna grind that bird again, man.
Never grind, always find something else to kill that’s around your level- ER is literally designed to make sure you don’t have to grind like the last games. Also a quick, reliable, enjoyable source of experience: being summoned to other peoples’ games for boss fights around your level- a great way to get a chunk of experience and to engage in JOLLY COOPERATION!

Like, the Dark Souls games are designed to make you grind in certain areas if you cannot git gud enough, it’s part of the reason why I hesitate to ever play their linear depths again compared to the fluidity and open nature of ER.

I disagree actually, I don’t think you ever need to grind in any of the Souls games - or at least not for levels. Your weapon and gear are exponentially more important. Elden Ring obviously makes it much easier and more fluid to go do other things and come back to tough spots, but there’s some element of that in every game. There are certainly more choke points in older games, and I really do like how Elden Ring lets you explore elsewhere if you hit a wall, but I don’t think that grinding for levels is ever the answer. Your time would be better spent learning the boss’s patterns and practicing the fight, or trying out an NPC helper if available, or getting help from others online. Unless you want to! If you want to go grind and such then of course that’s totally fine, I just think that’s often a way to make the game less fun and still be frustrated IMO.

I will make an exception for gear: Sometimes switching up your weapon and going to gather some upgrade materials or infusing it with an element or something can help a lot and make all the difference in a tough fight.

Back
Top Bottom