• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Elden Ring |ST| Go Outside and Touch Grace

Do you like saying the word "accord" in a posh British accent (like Melina does)?

• Total voters
Yeah, this game gets really boring. Im nearing the end and have explored almost the entire world and I was getting bored about 20 hours ago. It repeats itself constantly and it is by far the easiest Souls game (almost all my deaths come from falling when trying to platform jump up cliffs). I've fought the same boss and seen the same variation of caves and catacombs waaaayyy too many times.

Still, for the first half it was really fresh and exciting. But it reaaaallllyy overstays its welcome.

There's just nothing to break up the monotony. It also has the problem of having the usual obtuse game design in Souls, which works in a smaller world, but does not work at all in an open world. Way too many times I've come across a building or tower that's blocked off and there's no clue whatsoever on how to get in. This works fine for previous games that were much smaller, but doesn't work in a gigantic open world.

Hugely disappointed in the game. It's a good game but it greatly overstays its welcome. Once I beat it I'll probably never play it again, which is the first I've ever said about a Souls game (I've been playing them since Demons PS3).

I'm enjoying my time with the game but I can understand the complains about repetivity.
Every ruins lead to the same room with a chest, every catacombs lead to the same 4 bosses and the level design isn't that great, every caves look the same.
After the honeymoon of the first thirty hours I also find the game too big for it's own safe.

I'm 55 hours in, I cleared EVERY dungeons I could in the area I explored but I don't think it was really worth it ? I spent a lot of time doing it and I just beat Radahn. Despite exploring everything I could I'm not overpowered at all ( I'm doing a faith build so maybe it's because of that ).
I don't think the exploration is THAT rewarding because the majority of the time you gain spirits which are worst than the 3 wolfs you gain at the beginning of the game or you obtain weapon that you can't use because of your build. At a certain point where your character is strong enough, you are no longer amused to continue exploring. I think that the game is way more interesting if you're playing with a guide or on a new game+.

Now I'm heading to Nokron and it's good to play a traditional level like this because the redmane castle was REALLY disappointing.

Last edited:
The one time you realize you missed a Smithing Stone bell or some unique weapon/ash/spell for your build you're gonna feel real bad about not exploring every Skyrim cave you come across. Then you end up actually doing that and spend most of the time being disappointed. I think this is a case where randomized rewards to get people chalice dungeon diving backfired. It feels especially bad in the late game where you roll into a repeat boss for the 5th or even 10th time and it's not one of the decent ones.

FWIW when the world does shake out and you can just move through things quickly, it's not so bad. I'm not gonna really defend the endgame open world structure and pacing, it's outright bad. Just saying I don't think it completely kills some of the benefits they got from the earlier open world reveals. Real mixed bag for me personally I guess. I've also been around since Demons, and I think this is around my 4th favorite entry currently for the FROM line up.

I don't think rewards are randomized in this game.

I should rephrase. I know they are not random, but if I as a player do not know what's in a cave, it's essentially a randomized reward unless I am using a guide or on a repeat playthrough. There is no guaranteed reward that is useful to me always outside of Runes, and Runes stop being a valuable currency sooner rather than later. I should say the psuedo-randomly distributed rewards end up being more of an annoyance than an encouragement to do the really similar caves/crypts/bosses tens of times.

Last edited:
Want some help? If you're on PS4 / PS5 I'll hop in and fight him with you

Otherwise I can give you some really great tips.

I appreciate it, but I just deleted my save and uninstalled the game lol. I was getting genuinely angry and upset so it was time to tap out.

I put about 70 hours into it so at least I got my moneys worth. Amazing game, but the bosses are too much for me still.

Beat the game after 88 hours and got the Age of Fracture ending. That is apparently the default, didn't really follow through on many questlines and such.

The first final boss (Radagon) is a neat fight, the second is kinda whatever but I guess outside of Marika herself it was always going to be a vague 'It's symbolic!' manifestation of order. Still, after a lot of attempts and even more swearing, it was kind enough to... let me stunlock it to death with Rock Sling? It didn't even get to fly up into the air for the ring attack lol.

Stuck at Radahn. I think I'm gonna shelve the game for a while.
I wonder how i will fair against him i still have a few other things i want to do in Caelid but im level 105 and have the sword of night and flame with 50 faith.

I’m starting Elden Ring tonight. Going in nearly blind, as a total Souls newb. Pray for me, Fam.

Fuck the Fire giant. stupid thing is the worst boss I ever experienced. First phase is manageable, but second phase is just bullshit. constantly rolling away so you can only hit him once or twice and ends up in places that are either too close to the edge, close to a wall or put him on top of something, meaning he is unreachable untill it comes down. Then his fire breath apparently comes back for some reason. His flame projectiles come in two AND in quick succesion, meaning unless you somehow get the timing perfectly, you are going to get hit. And the fire balls are just annoying.
The arena is also bad, thereis always something ruining your plans

Oh and it has a ton of hp and no place too truly damage him in the second phase
I got this close to killing him, like 2-3 hits away, but apparently we're close to a fog wall so when he rolls he stays in place and kills me.

I'm so tired of this. I'm going to cheese him and be done with it.

Last edited:
Weirdly, I had way more trouble with phase 1 than phase 2 of Fire Giant. Phase 1 was multiple attempts of getting one shotted by the stupid fucking avalanche, then chasing him around every time he decided to roll away. Phase 2 was a clusterfuck but I never felt like I was in huge danger. This was a pure Int caster, mind.

I was probably super overleveled and tanky, but I didn't have much of an issue with the fire giant. I feel like as long as you don't get one-shotted by any one attack, you can estus up and be okay since (at least for me) it seemed pretty unlikely you'd get hit more than once in quick succession. Stuff like the firedrake talisman (+2) helps a lot, or fire resistance spells. As does summoning Alexander, if you have him available. He's extremely tanky and will often get the giant's fire blasts directed at him instead of you.

A dex/int katana bleed samurai seems not only super powerful but also really fun, it'd be a good build to try out.
Nice to hear some support for it! It was between Samurai and Astrologer and I went with the latter and ran into trouble…but my dodging is pretty good! 😂 Might start again this week

Got so close to beating Radahn last night, but I was so frustrated I didn't play at all today (might play in a little bit but I'll probably do something else in game). Maybe circle back to earlier field bosses I avoided.

Well i melted Radahan killed him first try lol i cannot beat the Scarlot rot crystal trio though they destroy me quick since i use a faith Sword build

Last edited:
I quit out on this game in frustration with a magic build but…thinking of starting again with a samurai 😄
The katanas are damn good in this game. I dual wielded them for a bit. High stamina cost, so you do need to put a good number of points into Endurance, but it's worth it, considering how fun they are.

And yeah... bleed effect is OP. Just a sudden burst of big damage if you keep attacking an enemy.

At the final boss after 100 hours or so and dang this game was lit ill probs beat it soon. Using the pizza cutter weapon and a collosal 2h sword and in offhand a seal that also scales with str for prayee incarnations. The 2h i now have scales with faith and str so perfect. The pizza cutter is amazing with a blood buff talusman thing cuts bosses like breakfast but it does put you open for hits so u need to time the whirgling sawing right.

Godskin Duo down, phew that was tense. That fight would have been tricky but manageable if it was just straight kill them both, but with the giant shared heath bar it feels kinda silly. Probably would be way easier with a summon but I’m being stubborn about that for no real reason, I admit.

I'm trying to get the mimic tear, but apparently you have to meet Ranni in her tower but she's not there.
I have beaten Rennala. Unless something or I have to do something else (apparently beating Radhan fixes this) im screwed?

I'm trying to get the mimic tear, but apparently you have to meet Ranni in her tower but she's not there.
I have beaten Rennala. Unless something or I have to do something else (apparently beating Radhan fixes this) im screwed?
Have you checked to see if the other tower is accessible?

The katanas are damn good in this game. I dual wielded them for a bit. High stamina cost, so you do need to put a good number of points into Endurance, but it's worth it, considering how fun they are.

And yeah... bleed effect is OP. Just a sudden burst of big damage if you keep attacking an enemy.

That sounds pretty good to me! I felt like I started to lag behind in damage with pure sorceries and the bosses just got too damn quick to reliably hit them with spells anyway. Think I might fare better with katana and a bow. I’m definitely gonna keep that dual wield idea in mind that sounds amazing 😄

I'm not sure but according to the wiki it has to be night for her to be there? Maybe?

Nope, not there. Tried reloading and everything too.
Okay apparently there's more reasons, try these:

A) If you've already been to Redmane Castle, or triggered the start of the festival, she won't be in her tower until you've beaten Radahn.

B) Try using celestial dew at the Church of Vows

Okay apparently there's more reasons, try these:

A) If you've already been to Redmane Castle, or triggered the start of the festival, she won't be in her tower until you've beaten Radahn.

B) Try using celestial dew at the Church of Vows
So I need to beat radahn. Which is strange cause I reached the tower before going to redmane castle and she still wasn't there.

So I need to beat radahn. Which is strange cause I reached the tower before going to redmane castle and she still wasn't there.
Yeah I don't know, there has to be a bunch of weird conditions for this or something because I know for a fact I talked to her up there before beating Radahn. Is it linked to Rogier's questline/the black knife assassination plot somehow maybe? Have you done any of that?

Yeah I don't know, there has to be a bunch of weird conditions for this or something because I know for a fact I talked to her up there before beating Radahn. Is it linked to Rogier's questline/the black knife assassination plot somehow maybe? Have you done any of that?
I honestly haven't done any quests. I somehow either missed the NPC, went too far ahead or just forgot about them. I just moved forward and explored as much as I could

Last edited:
Stuck at Radahn. I think I'm gonna shelve the game for a while.
Finally beat him last night. Admittedly with a little bit of cheese. My biggest tip is don't even bother attacking him for the most part of the fight. Keep your distance and focus on summons. The summon marks regenerate after they die. So just keep them coming. Then go in with a bow.

Finally beat him last night. Admittedly with a little bit of cheese. My biggest tip is don't even bother attacking him for the most part of the fight. Keep your distance and focus on summons. The summon marks regenerate after they die. So just keep them coming. Then go in with a bow.
My issue with this is the summons always die without doing much damage, and then they take so long to respawn that Radahn starts going after me. I think I may be ready to try again though.

I keep seeing people say Radhan is an RNG fight. It makes me feel like people don't know what RNG is.

It's not random - he aggros whomever is giving him the most damage. There's a reliable calculation in play that involves damage input and proximity to him.
I'm not sure what the calculation is, but it doesn't mean it's just "random" and you have to just be "lucky".

In fact, not having any summons makes the fight far more reliable.

Also, imo, there is no cheesing Radhan

Unless you're exploiting a glitch, it is not cheesing if you level up a bunch or grab a super strong weapon to beat him. It's just beating him!

If you have enough faith for it and want to really mess Radahn up I'd recommend the rot breath incantation from the dragon church in Caelid.

If you have enough faith for it and want to really mess Radahn up I'd recommend the rot breath incantation from the dragon church in Caelid.
This has helped me get to his second phase consistently, but I have a lot of trouble getting it to infect him after that.

I think I'm either overleveld or the game isn't balanced around using +10 ashes. I beat Godfrey and Morgott both on my first try.
I'm level 95 (now, after beating them and spending the runes).

I think I'm either overleveld or the game isn't balanced around using +10 ashes. I beat Godfrey and Morgott both on my first try.
I can’t speak for ashes really, but I felt like Godfrey and Morgott were on the easier side compared to a lot of other bosses. Although I did summon Melina for Morgott. Something about that part of the game at around that level and maybe availability of upgrade materials made them feel not too bad.

I can’t speak for ashes really, but I felt like Godfrey and Morgott were on the easier side compared to a lot of other bosses. Although I did summon Melina for Morgott. Something about that part of the game at around that level and maybe availability of upgrade materials made them feel not too bad.

You sommoned Melina?
Didn't know you can get her ashes!

Ended up starting that samurai today. Had less than an hour to play but it was fun to use my prior knowledge on a new character. I was skipping dialogue, the tutorial, made a straight shot to Liurnia to grab some items, went for some gear I found the first time around but didn’t suit an astrologer, etc. I think I like the samurai more overall. I already feel like I’ll be able to keep my damage up better over time, bow already coming in handy.

Beat Radahn. Best strategy was just summoning everyone, do one-two hits for damage and then just go away. When all npcs are dead, hop on Torrent and just run, getting of of him for i-frames whenever you need to dodge something. Rinse and repeat until you can summon the npcs again.
A fun fight, I'll try to be more direct once I start ng+ sometime in the future.

also finally managed to spawn Ranni for her quest.

You sommoned Melina?
Didn't know you can get her ashes!
No, she's just a gold-summon sign before that fight :p. I felt a little bad, she died the literal instant I got the last hit on Morgott. She leaves a golden translucent tree where she falls, though, which is a cool detail

No, she's just a gold-summon sign before that fight :p. I felt a little bad, she died the literal instant I got the last hit on Morgott. She leaves a golden translucent tree where she falls, though, which is a cool detail
Oh, I think I missed that! Just went straight in and summoned my mimic!

It's a bit of both. When I first went through there I 1-2 shot both of those guys solo with just a basic weapon and went "what was that all about?" You're at a weird point in the game in terms of balance where they expect people to be a bit underpowered, and they are very quickly going to turn the difficulty up on you soon.

As far as summons go, I've tested them out on some bosses with a second character and yeah, certain +10 spirit ashes will let you basically skip bosses outright without even seeing what they do sometimes. I don't really buy the argument that "bosses are designed around ashes" as a result of me watching the Mimic Tear or other legendary ashes break boss AI or help me stunlock story bosses to death. It's a big shame cause I like them as a system to help players out, and they're just cool to use. When they get overpowered to the point of nuking bosses, it causes a weird balancing issue where it feels unfun to watch a boss be rolled over for you, but if you're struggling and really need the help it's one of the few immediate options to end a fight. I'm not here to pass judgement on anybody who uses them. I think they are a tool given to players to help ease the burden of bosses and should be used as such. I just wish a better balance had been struck with them so players would have a more complete boss experience while using them.

Some bosses do attempt to handle multitargetting btw(Margit is one of them), so I think FromSoft tried, but it seems to be an exception and even then it doesn't seem to work well enough to keep up with the high power ashes/players.

It's a bit of both. When I first went through there I 1-2 shot both of those guys solo with just a basic weapon and went "what was that all about?" You're at a weird point in the game in terms of balance where they expect people to be a bit underpowered, and they are very quickly going to turn the difficulty up on you soon.
Yeah this feels accurate. They don't want to crank the difficulty too much since they don't know exactly how powerful you are right around then, and since there's a lot of open areas and things still to come and it seems like they're expecting you to use the time in the mountaintops of the giants and then especially when you first get to Farum (that place is an upgrade material bonanza) to fully power up. Then they can throw all the hardest stuff at you since they know you're at the end of the game, and you get Godskin Duo, Malaketh, Malenia and Mohg available where they feel cranked up to the max.

Finally beat Radahn, thank fuck. The optimal strategy definitely seems to be "stay the fuck away" during the second phase. That, and praying that he doesn't one-shot you from across the field.

Welp, just found M. I've got a loooong road ahead of me lol

Back
Top Bottom