• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Elden Ring |ST| Go Outside and Touch Grace

Do you like saying the word "accord" in a posh British accent (like Melina does)?

• Total voters
Use spirit ashes to help tank and divert aggro. All of the later boss fights are tuned for this exact purpose.

If you are playing this as a solo melee purist, you will not have fun. This isn't Dark Souls 4.

I have 1583 hitpoints and I die from 2 hits when he uses his 4hit combo which I almost every single time fails to dodge - my ashes doesnt even have the time to get aggro before I die in phase 2. It's a sub 15 second affair every single time.

I just finished Volcano Manor and ended up repeccing to use a new sword there that I am LOVING. So I wouldn't be afraid of respeccing, the game almost seems to encourage it with how many times you can do it per playthrough.

I’ve considered it, but I think at this point I’m realizing that there’s just a lot of game here, and the combat was never really the highlight for me so it’s getting tiresome. Changing how my weapon swings or the select art that I use isn’t going to make a fundamentally different game.

I’m at like 60+ hours so it’s not like I didn’t play a lot. And I’m still super looking forward to my next long ass coop session. Probably one of the best coop experiences I’ve had in a while (outside of the occasional failure to connect).

Yeah, by the time I had more or less 100%ed the game I was at an exhausted 90 hours. I never hit the point of not having fun, but the repetition will wear you down. Endgame ends up resembling DS2 quite a bit, where there is a lot to do but most of it is built around throwing high scaling challenges at the player. The good thing about this, much like DS2, is they throw a bunch of absurdly powerful tools at the player that are fun to play with. Builds matter a lot in this game, and there are a lot of really cool interactions to explore. I actually like that concept quite a bit as far as content extension goes in Souls games, so might as well try to mess with it a little.

For people that are struggling to get into endgame, let me reiterate that builds REALLY start to matter. It's very easy to fuck yourself over by either missing tools important to your spec or just flat out having a mediocre spec. Everything is beatable by good old slash slash roll solo melee if you really want to, I've done it, and because I've done it I'm here to tell you don't bother. If you wall into an area/boss, take a good look at your options or explore/respec to find better ones. The difference in build quality is so massive it borders on comedy. Again, I sorta like this as it was my favorite part of DS2. It's just no other Souls game super works like this anymore; bosses haven't been designed in ways to test builds ever since.

It's really cool they finally made a sequel to DS2 I guess.

Luckily it doesn't play like that game.

Honestly it kinda does. It doesn't have the roll/poise system from DS2, but boss/encounter design in ER/DS2 endgame blur together really hard. The good part is they sort of learned from DS2 to hide the cheap parts while players have way stronger universal options to deal with shit. The "bad" part is they really do throw that cheap shit at you while demanding you find an answer that isn't slash slash roll or suffer. That answer could be 2 handing colossal weapons at 80 strength and DPS/Poise checking everything out of existence. It could be using magic buffs to blow the boss up, using defensives, abusing summons, etc. If you don't do that, be prepared to have to hit the boss 50 times even with a +25 40/40 Quality Longsword while dodging around some pretty nutty patterns that limit your damage uptime.

DS2 gets a bad rap for being really janky and sort of slapped together, which is fair cause those are true. It still had a lot of really interesting ideas about player progression and how to make players interact with the RPG side of the series more. It feels like the director from DS2 got to have a lot more influence this time around, because a lot of those ideas are in ER endgame for better and worse.

Honestly it kinda does. It doesn't have the roll/poise system from DS2, but boss/encounter design in ER/DS2 endgame blur together really hard. The good part is they sort of learned from DS2 to hide the cheap parts while players have way stronger universal options to deal with shit. The "bad" part is they really do throw that cheap shit at you while demanding you find an answer that isn't slash slash roll or suffer. That answer could be 2 handing colossal weapons at 80 strength and DPS/Poise checking everything out of existence. It could be using magic buffs to blow the boss up, using defensives, abusing summons, etc. If you don't do that, be prepared to have to hit the boss 50 times even with a +25 40/40 Quality Longsword while dodging around some pretty nutty patterns that limit your damage uptime.

DS2 gets a bad rap for being really janky and sort of slapped together, which is fair cause those are true. It still had a lot of really interesting ideas about player progression and how to make players interact with the RPG side of the series more. It feels like the director from DS2 got to have a lot more influence this time around, because a lot of those ideas are in ER endgame for better and worse.
I was just talking about the pure feel of playing, like attacking, running, rolling,...
There it feels 1 to 1 like DS3.
And I would argue that the bosses are a mixed bag out of all previous titles.

I appreciate your write-up though! I see what you mean.

I don't think any of this is really spoilers, but I'll just mark it all as spoilers anyway.

I had just beat Rennala and decided to do some exploring before going to Caria Manor. I ended up on the Atlus Plateau and then in the Sage's Cave. The skeletons weren't giving me any issue in there, so I decided to explore and I found Necromancer Garris behind a hidden wall. Despite the skeletons being super easy, he destroyed me. I eventually beat him after numerous attempts and moved onto the other boss of Sage's Cave, the Black Knife Assassin. Unlike the other Black Knife Assassin I had fought, this one was invisible, so I was waiting for a boss to show up for a while before I noticed splashes in the water. I tried to attack, but he backstabbed me before I could, leaving me with a tiny sliver of health. He then murdered me a few seconds later.

Apparently, you can reveal an invisible assassin using a Sentry's Torch, but I didn't have that. So instead I went back to the boss and used the Lhutel the Headless spirit summon. I then ran around in a circle around the room and let Lhutel do all of the work. I got backstabbed a few times, but because I would just barely survive, I would heal up afterwards and continue running until Lhutel solved my problems for me. I did get one or two hits in, but it wasn't necessary. I just thought that was so much fun, making a tough encounter stupid easy with so little effort.

Every time I think “this game can’t possibly get any prettier” it proves me wrong. I swear there’s a new “DS1 Anor Londo reveal moment” like twice per area. The art direction in this game is masterful.

Does anyone here really like the Souls trope of losing all your runes and having to backtrack to the place where you died? I can see why it would work in Souls but in this game I think it really just completely kneecaps the exploration aspect.

There are some other minor things that really irks me, such as (this was an issue in Sekiro too) fighting an enemy and suddenly get in the sightline of another enemy that ambushes you, and several areas where small rocks/outcroppings really puts a stopper to the fights.

Otherwise, I like it, even though the world hasn't hit the "highs" for me yet. But I'm clicking with the combat more and more! (Even though it's not my cup of tea in combat)

What's everyone's favourite NPC quest line so far?

I think I've finished Ranni's quests and I loved every second of it. Especially since we're definitely hot magic wives now.

Does anyone here really like the Souls trope of losing all your runes and having to backtrack to the place where you died? I can see why it would work in Souls but in this game I think it really just completely kneecaps the exploration aspect.
Yes. It's part of the fun, to be honest. Nothing stings so much as loosing 100.000 souls/runes/echoes because of a bad jump.

I think I've finished Ranni's quests and I loved every second of it. Especially since we're definitely hot magic wives now.
Same! I loved Ranni's quest! And the outcome is great too, I agree.

that mechanic was what kept me from latching on to souls games in the past, but this one really clicked for me and a big part of it is the risk reward loop brought on by losing your runes after death

also learning to not be too anxious about losing runes took me a little while, but I'm there now. I think getting over that initial anxiety is what I needed and now I'm ready to check out the rest of the series

Oh boy. The last few hours have been absolutely miserable for me lol. Upgrade my weapons to try bosses again, dead. Find new gear and try again, dead. Level a few times and try again, dead. Summon some help, get invaded, both dead. Try and level somewhere with a little more rune gain, dead.

I uh...think I'm done with this one 😂 I think I can officially declare that I cannot handle it

So I beat the final boss - and i am done with this game forever. I both really enjoyed and hated this game and I am not sure which feeling is the strongest
Leaning towards enjoying it more than disliking it but some stuff really soured my experience.

I am just not built to play From Software titles hah, but I'm happy I did though because Elden Ring definitely did some things well. I did not expect to play this game when the year started.

So I beat the final boss - and i am done with this game forever. I both really enjoyed and hated this game and I am not sure which feeling is the strongest
Leaning towards enjoying it more than disliking it but some stuff really soured my experience.

I am just not built to play From Software titles hah, but I'm happy I did though because Elden Ring definitely did some things well. I did not expect to play this game when the year started.
As someone who very recently threw in the towel (😁) what aspects soured your experience? I agree some things are extremely well done, and the FromSoftware house style draws me in, in ways few other games can.

Ranni's questline is great, but so far that's about the only one I think I've finished. There are a bunch of other ones that are interesting, but I'm not sure where they're going/if there's more to them?

Some spoilers here:

- D, hunter of the dead, Rogier, and Fia: So, Rogier wanted to find the truth of the black knife assassination and I talked to Fia about it. Went and got the proof that it was Ranni's doing, and then around then Rogier died. Later D helped me kill a black knife assassin, but then not long after that Fia wanted to find the owner of a dagger, and then she apparently kills D and turns out she was a 'those living in death' member and she vanished? Haven't seen her since.

- I met D's 'twin' in the underground and gave him D's armor set, but nothing has happened after as of yet

- Gideon's daughter... uhhh... I forget her name? I met her in Stormveil, she helped me kill Godrick. I later met her at Roundtable and then again briefly at the Village of the Albinaurics, but I haven't senen her since then.

- There's the blind woman who wants to be a finger maiden, I fed her a few grapes and then later the burned grape, and she reaffirmed that she wants to be a finger maiden, but again I haven't seen her in a while

- This is probably the other most interesting quest after Ranni: Millicent. I saved her with the needle in Caelid, then later gave her the prosthetic arm and she just told me she'll join me in battle sometime. So I'm assuming that she'll join in a boss fight later in the game

(if it helps for timing, I just entered the capital city proper in terms of game progression)

As someone who very recently threw in the towel (😁) what aspects soured your experience? I agree some things are extremely well done, and the FromSoftware house style draws me in, in ways few other games can.

Lol yeah, I was about to call it quits. Had that boss been at the middle of the game I probably would have. But I knew I was pretty close to the end I wanted to pull through. And I am happy I did!

It was the boss that was by far the hardest one in the game for me. I did some grinding and leveled up my weapons and Ashes a wee bit and it helped me juuust get over it.

I'm not sure it's some of the stuff in this game specifically or if it's just the FS formula generally hat soured it for me a bit.. :p But one thing is very clear for me and it's that BotW really put the standard for me what I want when it comes to open world games - if a game has invisible walls, not being able to free climb always is a big negative for me.

I enjoy it in all of the Souls games including this one. In the case of Elden Ring, whenever I want to finish exploring something before moving on, so having to go back for my runes doesn't hurt the exploration for me because I was already going to go back to that camp or cave or tower or ruins or whatever to finish exploring them anyway.

However, I don't like it in Hollow Knight. I love that game to bits and pieces, but I feel like losing your Geo and limiting your Soul meter after death and having to go back only existed because Dark Souls did it first. Hollow Knight is a game where if I died in an area, I might not want to go back in that direction. I might have discovered that I can't progress that way and I was trying to backtrack when I died. It also hurts that avoiding enemies to get back to where you died is a lot harder in Hollow Knight than in a Souls game.

There are some other minor things that really irks me, such as (this was an issue in Sekiro too) fighting an enemy and suddenly get in the sightline of another enemy that ambushes you, and several areas where small rocks/outcroppings really puts a stopper to the fights.

Otherwise, I like it, even though the world hasn't hit the "highs" for me yet. But I'm clicking with the combat more and more! (Even though it's not my cup of tea in combat)
I've played these kind of games for so long by now it doesn't even really register for me. I lost 190k runes earlier because I just forgot to ..pick them up while doing boss attempts. Not trying to sound too cool for school or anything with that but I've just kind of stopped putting much value in them, almost every Souls game has some cheesy 1 gorillion souls per hour strategy to abuse if I wanted to level up so stressing out over losing them sometimes just isn't worth it.

I've played these kind of games for so long by now it doesn't even really register for me. I lost 190k runes earlier because I just forgot to ..pick them up while doing boss attempts. Not trying to sound too cool for school or anything with that but I've just kind of stopped putting much value in them, almost every Souls game has some cheesy 1 gorillion souls per hour strategy to abuse if I wanted to level up so stressing out over losing them sometimes just isn't worth it.

Wow, the sound of 190K runes makes an early game person like me starry eyed, haha. I'd flip if I lost all of them :O

Ranni's questline is great, but so far that's about the only one I think I've finished. There are a bunch of other ones that are interesting, but I'm not sure where they're going/if there's more to them?

Some spoilers here:

- D, hunter of the dead, Rogier, and Fia: So, Rogier wanted to find the truth of the black knife assassination and I talked to Fia about it. Went and got the proof that it was Ranni's doing, and then around then Rogier died. Later D helped me kill a black knife assassin, but then not long after that Fia wanted to find the owner of a dagger, and then she apparently kills D and turns out she was a 'those living in death' member and she vanished? Haven't seen her since.

- I met D's 'twin' in the underground and gave him D's armor set, but nothing has happened after as of yet

- Gideon's daughter... uhhh... I forget her name? I met her in Stormveil, she helped me kill Godrick. I later met her at Roundtable and then again briefly at the Village of the Albinaurics, but I haven't senen her since then.

- There's the blind woman who wants to be a finger maiden, I fed her a few grapes and then later the burned grape, and she reaffirmed that she wants to be a finger maiden, but again I haven't seen her in a while

- This is probably the other most interesting quest after Ranni: Millicent. I saved her with the needle in Caelid, then later gave her the prosthetic arm and she just told me she'll join me in battle sometime. So I'm assuming that she'll join in a boss fight later in the game

(if it helps for timing, I just entered the capital city proper in terms of game progression)
I skimmed your spoilers because I saw names I didn't recognise, or more attached to those names than I realised. I've got some chatting to do.

I liked Sellen's quest, too. It was a bit anticlimactic but it was fun and has interesting ramifications.

Also fuuuuuck Seluvis. I discovered his 'secret' in what felt like a really organic way and it was great. Seriously fffuuuuuuck that guy.

I skimmed your spoilers because I saw names I didn't recognise, or more attached to those names than I realised. I've got some chatting to do.

I liked Sellen's quest, too. It was a bit anticlimactic but it was fun and has interesting ramifications.

Also fuuuuuck Seluvis. I discovered his 'secret' in what felt like a really organic way and it was great. Seriously fffuuuuuuck that guy.
I forgot about Sellen. Does she actually have a quest? I've met her, and got info from her once since she owed Seluvis, but that's it. I haven't seen anything else regarding her. But since I'm not running a mage build at all maybe some of it is tied to that? I could have missed it.

And Seluvis, well... I'll tag this as well but I think I messed up his questline somehow: After talking to him and then Sellen, he gave me a potion and told me to give it to Gideon's daughter (which is sus as all hell), but I don't know where she is so I never was able to talk to her about it. Later on, I came back to Seluvis' tower and he was just dead. So I assume someone killed him?

I forgot about Sellen. Does she actually have a quest? I've met her, and got info from her once since she owed Seluvis, but that's it. I haven't seen anything else regarding her. But since I'm not running a mage build at all maybe some of it is tied to that? I could have missed it.

And Seluvis, well... I'll tag this as well but I think I messed up his questline somehow: After talking to him and then Sellen, he gave me a potion and told me to give it to Gideon's daughter (which is sus as all hell), but I don't know where she is so I never was able to talk to her about it. Later on, I came back to Seluvis' tower and he was just dead. So I assume someone killed him?

Its a bit more complicated than that, you can look around the little zone they're at and maybe learn more. Doing that questline on first playthrough is tricky and also locks you out of some good content, so I wouldn't sweat it. For Sellen, you just gotta find a thing to progress it and give it to her.

Lol yeah, I was about to call it quits. Had that boss been at the middle of the game I probably would have. But I knew I was pretty close to the end I wanted to pull through. And I am happy I did!

It was the boss that was by far the hardest one in the game for me. I did some grinding and leveled up my weapons and Ashes a wee bit and it helped me juuust get over it.

I'm not sure it's some of the stuff in this game specifically or if it's just the FS formula generally hat soured it for me a bit.. :p But one thing is very clear for me and it's that BotW really put the standard for me what I want when it comes to open world games - if a game has invisible walls, not being able to free climb always is a big negative for me.

Can you elaborate in a spoiler tag what got you mad? I'm genuinely curious which encounters on the tail end are the big party stoppers and I keep just hearing all of their names from different people lol

just killed that sleeping giant white dragon in caelid, took me around 40 minutes.
but it was worth it.

75.000 runes baby

Sitting around being a helpful summon for Margit on a new character, and I had ZERO idea that movesets change around when the AI has multiple targets going on.

Can you elaborate in a spoiler tag what got you mad? I'm genuinely curious which encounters on the tail end are the big party stoppers and I keep just hearing all of their names from different people lol

Of the last say 5 in the end bosses I'd say 2 of them were challening for me - Final boss was tough but fair, but the one that made me about to fall of the game was
Malekith

I love when you get to the capital and then go talk to Gideon again, he’s just casually like “oh so you know those shardbearers you’ve been after all game and thought there were five? Actually there’s four more!

I love when you get to the capital and then go talk to Gideon again, he’s just casually like “oh so you know those shardbearers you’ve been after all game and thought there were five? Actually there’s four more!
OOPS! All SHARDBEARERS

I absolutely hate Flame Giant.

Not only does the camera do a fucking shitty job lock-on wise so you are forced to do without entirely, you also have to keep chasing the massive fuck all the way across Siberia. And then you can not stay too close to him for too long or you can not see what the fuck he's doing, especially in phase two. The fact that the framerate tanks ridiculously on PS4 during phase two, especially when it rains fire, does not help matters either. Nor does the terrain that has been designed with the sole purpose of giving the finger to the player.

Never was too big a fan of fights against ridiculously oversized bosses, but this one has to take the cake as the worst, most needlessly annoying one of them all. It is not fun in the slightest.

Last edited:
Of the last say 5 in the end bosses I'd say 2 of them were challening for me - Final boss was tough but fair, but the one that made me about to fall of the game was
Malekith

That's one I've heard quite a bit about. I thought it was pretty fair, but the punish windows are very restrictive if you're using slower weapons/casts. I could also seeing the way he consistently gapcloses into a dash back being hard on ranged builds as well. I'm wondering if I missed something about the fight to lengthen his punish windows, or if it really do be like that.

In other news I've gone back and done like 20 Margit kills as a summoned coop player and I have seen some shit.

Anyone knows how to reach the east part of the capital? it's the only area of the map I'm still missing and the only way I found is through the Draconic Tree Sentinel and that one kills me in 2 hits.

Last edited:
Anyone knows how to reach the east part of the capital? it's the only area of the map I'm still missing and the only way I found is through the Draconic Tree Sentinel and that one kills me in 2 hits.
Unless there's another DTS I haven't reached yet, going through him is the only way.

Yeah, I know. Good luck!

Does anyone here really like the Souls trope of losing all your runes and having to backtrack to the place where you died?
62f0712a72c390de8a20366e01982f9a_w200.gif

It's fun and adds some spice.

I absolutely hate Flame Giant.

Not only does the camera do a fucking shitty job lock-on wise so you are forced to do without entirely, you also have to keep chasing the massive fuck all the way across Siberia. And then you can not stay too close to him for too long or you can not see what the fuck he's doing, especially in phase two. The fact that the framerate tanks ridiculously on PS4 during phase two, especially when it rains fire, does not help matters either. Nor does the terrain that has been designed with the sole purpose of giving the finger to the player.

Never was too big a fan of fights against ridiculously oversized bosses, but this one has to take the cake as the worst, most needlessly annoying one of them all. It is not fun in the slightest.
I still hate this fight.

Me last night: I can't wait to finally explore the capital, it's so pretty and I love the atmosphere!

Also me: Almost immediately finds a well, then spends all evening trudging around through literal shit in the sewer system instead

Ok the last 2 days have been brutal for me, after I defeated Godrick I took my adventure east to the Caleid region and made it to Redmane castles mid boss fight but I am not doing any damage at all to the Knight. I don't think I was supposed to go this way after defeating godrick. Maybe I should head back to Lunaria?

Ok the last 2 days have been brutal for me, after I defeated Godrick I took my adventure east to the Caleid region and made it to Redmane castles mid boss fight but I am not doing any damage at all to the Knight. I don't think I was supposed to go this way after defeating godrick. Maybe I should head back to Lunaria?
I would recommend doing Liurnia before Caelid, yes. Liurnia is huge and definitely scaled to be the next region you go to after Limgrave. Caelid is a lot harder.

I really like it in old Souls games.

Doesn't really work in Elden Ring and is mostly a nuisance. Especially when there are Sites of Grace every 2 feet. So unless you're on a legacy dungeon, you just get on your horse and can scoop up your Souls within 2 seconds. There's almost zero tension when it comes to trekking back to your Souls in the overworld since the overpowered horse speed and lame enemy AI just makes it a chore with zero tension.

Well, I managed to beat cheese the hell out of my nemesis, and I will never look back.

Then went on to defeat Lich Dragon Fortisaxx first try, so that was nice.

But tbh, I am getting kind of tired of the game at this point, so I will drop it for the time being. It is simply overwhelming with how many bosses there are and how huge the world is. First time I witness this kind of fatigue in a Souls game.

Back to TriStrat I go.

I absolutely stomped Rykard. That's the first time I've felt that way in this game. Probably down to the gimmick giving me an edge I wouldn't have had otherwise, but damn. Get outta here, volcano boy.

EDIT: Godfrey and Morgott quickly followed. Are these way easier or have I become a goddess?

I'm so bad at this game. It's almost funny. Margit took me 4 hours. I don't even know how to use magic :( And I get all of these interesting-looking items, but I don't really know what to use them for. And it took me ages to realize that the reason I was rolling so slow was that I had too much weight equipped.

I'm so bad at this game. It's almost funny. Margit took me 4 hours. I don't even know how to use magic :( And I get all of these interesting-looking items, but I don't really know what to use them for. And it took me ages to realize that the reason I was rolling so slow was that I had too much weight equipped.
This was how I felt playing Demon's Souls way back. Piecing together the vague, esoteric weirdness is part of the fun but don't be afraid to Google stuff. I could be wrong, but I feel as though that's what From expect us to do. Like the 2022 adult equivalent of word of mouth on the playground. At least until you have a handle on the fundamentals. Eventually you adjust to how it all works and start being able to intuit stuff much easier. At least in my experience anyway.

I absolutely stomped Rykard. That's the first time I've felt that way in this game. Probably down to the gimmick giving me an edge I wouldn't have had otherwise, but damn. Get outta here, volcano boy.

EDIT: Godfrey and Morgott quickly followed. Are these way easier or have I become a goddess?
I stomped all of those with ease as well, but the game got me back for it later on. Ymmv, of course.

Back
Top Bottom