• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Bayonetta 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else think that the game looked a bit more polished in the first trailer from last September?
I watched it on my Switch and it looked good.

One thing about the visuals is it seems like they went for half of Bayonetta 2's super colorful look and half of Bayo 1's more drab color scheme.

I personally prefer Bayo 2's colourful look all the time.

Bayo 1 was a bit fugly but Bayo 2 was beautiful.

Does anyone else think that the game looked a bit more polished in the first trailer from last September?
It's hard to tell, since the scenes shown on the trailers don't overlap much. I do want to say it looks better overall.

Rereading reviews and stuff for the first two games, and damn, it’s easy to forget how acclaimed both of them were. Both 90+ MC and just lauded critically.

Really hope 3 is the same!
Yup. Both previous games received a 10/10 from Edge, even.

Rereading reviews and stuff for the first two games, and damn, it’s easy to forget how acclaimed both of them were. Both 90+ MC and just lauded critically.

I think it will be at the lowest a 88 or 89 imo, can't see it being as critically acclaimed as 1 or 2 for some reason.

Despite knowing about Bayo on the 360 I wish I didn't wait until the Wii U to get into the series.

It really helps my OCD that Bayonetta 3 finally has a confirmed release date. I used to put it, along with BOTW2 and Prime 4 up as those “mystical confirmed but mysterious projects that we know nothing about”. And now we have a release date for it.

I guess I have a small sense of closure??

And while I do want to get Bayo 3, I think I have to see what the bank account and backlog looks like as of Oct 28th. But it looks great!

Something tells me this will be the worst acclaimed Bayo Game of the series, probably low 80s.

I don't know why, the game looks awesome like the other 2 but seems like there's "anty hype" around It, both press and gamers in general.

Current press works like bottom trawling, if there's a simple excuse to dump a developer for some reason, they will continue the trend, and Platinum had big lows recently.

Of curse, this is an opinion based on...probably nothing, only feelings.

I firmly think the opposite
Landscapes are still a little bit too flat and empty but models are top notch

Btw, gameplay wise with all these characters and the controllable demons it seems way more varied than the first two

Cant wait

Something tells me this will be the worst acclaimed Bayo Game of the series, probably low 80s.

I don't know why, the game looks awesome like the other 2 but seems like there's "anty hype" around It, both press and gamers in general.

Current press works like bottom trawling, if there's a simple excuse to dump a developer for some reason, they will continue the trend, and Platinum had big lows recently.

I can understand but astral chain came out 3 years ago and it got 87 on metacritic so I really can't see bayo 3 getting a score lower than that, maybe it's going to be in the same scale as astral chain like 86/87 but not on the low 80's

What sales threshold would be considered a success for Bayo 3?

I was surprised to see that 2 is estimated to have sold well below 1 million. [(Src VGChartz, I know I know)](https://www.vgchartz.com/game/220237/bayonetta-2/sales)

I don't bother to post the Wii U numbers since Nintendo did announce that the switch port outsold it in about 9 weeks.

Is 1 million units sales within year 1 achievable? 2 million?

Would those figures even be considered a success?

Note that Bayo 3 will release on a platform roughly the same size as PS3 + x360, at the time the first game released. That game did go on to eventually sell over 1 million.

Since then Bayo has become an immortal Smash Bros fighter, which probably will account for some bump.

I think the reviews are going to have to be very good for it to do over 1m. The series has a great track record in that regard so hopefully this next game will follow suit.

I am not feeling positive about my ability to preorder the TM Edition, not after the utter fiasco that was the XB3 Special Edition preorder period. I gave up on that one after I saw live tweets indicating that I was being leap-frogged in the Nintendo Store's online queue despite having the browser window open for an hr+.

I hope this is a process that they are working on and can improve. 🙏
Go to your local gamestop, thats where i got mine today, said they had plenty

I was surprised to see that 2 is estimated to have sold well below 1 million. [(Src VGChartz, I know I know)](https://www.vgchartz.com/game/220237/bayonetta-2/sales)

I don't bother to post the Wii U numbers since Nintendo did announce that the switch port outsold it in about 9 weeks.

Note that Bayo 3 will release on a platform roughly the same size as PS3 + x360, at the time the first game released. That game did go on to eventually sell over 1 million.

Since then Bayo has become an immortal Smash Bros fighter, which probably will account for some bump.
Shin Megami Tensei never touched 1m - actually the best it sold was 600k - and V sold 1m really fast. Astral Chain was a new IP with a reveal to release time wayyyy shorter than Bayo 3 and surpassed 1 million in its first two months. Bayonetta 2+1 sold better on the Switch in its first months than on Wii U. She's in Smash. I think it's not that hard to believe Nintendo is going for a first quarter shipment of 1-1.5 million for that title. Whether it can sell more or have any legs to go beyond that is another question.

I think one million the first year is definitely achievable. For reference and to mention some relatively similar games in terms of style/demographic focus: it took Astral Chain nine months to sell one million units, and it took SMTV just under six months to do the same. However, those games also had the advantages of (a) being heavily promoted during E3, reaching the eyes of more 'core' players, and (b) coasting slightly on their studios' previous games being massively popular (NieR Automata and Persona 5).

I don't think advantage b is that significant in the grand scheme of things, but I do believe that Bayonetta 3 is the kind of game that would absolutely benefit from an extended look either during a Direct presentation/Treehouse. Since that ship seems to have sailed, we can only hope that, as you mention, Smash has signal-boosted the games enough to make a significant difference in day-one sales. I wish we had updated figures for at least Bayo 2, to see how much Smash actually influences things, if at all.

As for lifetime sales, DMCV's performance is the current sales ceiling for the genre (God of War is its own thing, imo), and Nintendo shouldn’t expect to come close to it for obvious reasons. I'd say two million lifetime sales should be considered a great success, but I suspect the game will struggle to reach that mark even with broad critical acclaim on its side.

edit: lol, I swear I'm not @Marce-chan's alt. Any similarity is purely coincidental

Last edited:

I think it will easily sell more than Astral Chain, maybe even 2m.

1 million should be achieved within the 3 month period after launch. If not then 6. I cant see a world where bayo sells less than astral chain lol

I'm actually more curious about what will happen if bayo 3 becomes successful, will Nintendo ask for a bayo 4? Will Sega decide to make the next bayo multiplatform? Will Nintendo buy the ownership of the IP or at least co-ownership with sega?

I'm actually more curious about what will happen if bayo 3 becomes successful, will Nintendo ask for a bayo 4? Will Sega decide to make the next bayo multiplatform? Will Nintendo buy the ownership of the IP or at least co-ownership with sega?
Nintendo pays again for Bayo 4 or SEGA decides to reboot the franchise as multiplatform. Nintendo isn’t going to buy an IP that most of it’s value depends on a studio they don’t own (and that studio has no stake on the IP) and making Bayo 4 multiplatform would be confusing due to needing to play 2+3

Nintendo pays again for Bayo 4 or SEGA decides to reboot the franchise as multiplatform. Nintendo isn’t going to buy an IP that most of it’s value depends on a studio they don’t own (and that studio has no stake on the IP) and making Bayo 4 multiplatform would be confusing due to needing to play 2+3
I don't think a reboot would be needed to make bayo multiplatform again. But as far as buying the IP I don't know if Nintendo would let a franchise that they tried to grow go back to other consoles without trying to keep it exclusive

I don't think a reboot would be needed to make bayo multiplatform again. But as far as buying the IP I don't know if Nintendo would let a franchise that they tried to grow go back to other consoles without trying to keep it exclusive
Sega had all the time to make 2 and 3 themselves but didn't. if Nintendo doesn't want 4, I doubt sega does too. either a reboot in order get away from the numbering, or the IP dies.

Nintendo wouldn't care since they have a successful brand they can grow with Astral Chain

Sega had all the time to make 2 and 3 themselves but didn't. if Nintendo doesn't want 4, I doubt sega does too. either a reboot in order get away from the numbering, or the IP dies.

Nintendo wouldn't care since they have a successful brand they can grow with Astral Chain
Yeah but if the next game becomes successful (like 1.5 to 2 million units sold) it could give a reason for sega to make the next one multiplatform without the need of Nintendo paying for the project.

Yeah but if the next game becomes successful (like 1.5 to 2 million units sold) it could give a reason for sega to make the next one multiplatform without the need of Nintendo paying for the project.
Then they would reboot it because Bayo 2/3 assets are co-owned with Nintendo.

Depends on the contract for Bayonetta 3. It's possible Nintendo has a right of first refusal to make a new game.

There is criticism, and suspicion. And thats fine.
2 seemed like an improvement on all fronts to the first one.

3 has a lackluster first presentation, is way differen to the first one (contrversial decisions),
and while the graphics are obviously bettere, its still not worlds apart from even Bayonetta 1 (especially when you compare it to something like the PC port...)

Its kinda the crux when it moved from Ps3 to Wii U to Switch. always a jump up in power, but never a "next generation" jump like PS3 to PS4.
I still cant see this game being below 85%. It will play good to great, will have great graphics for wii.

Like, going by the trailere, im not shure if i will like the narative/story, the soundtrack is going in a direction im not that hyped for, and im not shure how the new mechanics/gimicks are feeling during gameplay.

2-3M lifetime. 1M probably in the first 6 months.
Think of it this way: it wont sell more then DmC5, it will sell more then Astral Chain and Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U.

Depends on the contract for Bayonetta 3. It's possible Nintendo has a right of first refusal to make a new game.
That much wouldn't surprise me at all.

Again, Sega probably doesn't care much at all, since they get paid for doing next to nothing.

i doubt sega will do anything with bayo. and realistically, it's not gonna be that successful to push sega into doing their own game. there's a pretty low ceiling for what the game can do.
either there's no bayo 4 or nintendo will have to fund it again.

I think whether or not there will be a Bayonetta 4 will depend on PlatinumGames. If they want to do it, Nintendo will probably fund it. They have a strong relationship and the games are critically acclaimed (at least so far). I could see a scenario where Platinum wants to move on after Bayonetta 3, at least for a good while.

I honestly believe Bayonetta 3 is a conclusion, but if they wanted they could continue with Viola depending on her arc.

Very good points, all! :coffee:

Forgot about Astral Chain as a terrific reference point and possible lower bound for a new Platinum action game on switch. One possibility tho: maybe the premise and art direction of Astral Chain is overall more appealing to the player-base as a whole vs the Bayo style?

That said I anticipate Bayo as a high-profile exclusive original will prove to have the much stronger start. Nintendo seems confident in it, with the physical release plans.

I also have faith the quality will be there, after 4 years of development w/ Nintendo support, even if subjectively it won't be many people's favorite Bayo (we will see on that, the proof is in the playing).

The developer messages still fill me with hope about this game, they do seem very confident. And the director seems passionate about the series.

I just want a varied game with an amazing action combat system at the core. It may be having my cake and eating it too, but nailing that combat system that makes the game replayable but also keeping that breakneck pacing of Bayo 2 with awesome varied setpieces would make this the GOAT.

DMC5 really struggled with everything outside of combat. Setting wasn’t memorable, setpieces were non existent pretty much. I don’t want Bayo 3 to have the same feeling.

Like, let’s say Viola’s segments play more like an adventure game or platformer? Fuck it! I’m in.

Was thinking about replaying Bayo 1 and 2 for the umpteeth time before this, but I'm actually thinking of getting Astral Chain. It's the only "main" Platinum game that I've yet to play. The tone of it has been what's put me off, but I have no doubt the action is great, and I'm getting that itch for some Platinum goodness.

No HQ box art yet? They’ll probably tweet it next week or something
we have this for japan

71A-w98DFGL._AC_SL1004_.jpg

Was thinking about replaying Bayo 1 and 2 for the umpteeth time before this, but I'm actually thinking of getting Astral Chain. It's the only "main" Platinum game that I've yet to play. The tone of it has been what's put me off, but I have no doubt the action is great, and I'm getting that itch for some Platinum goodness.
Astral Chain is a very different feeling game. It's more Zelda-like in its structure. A lot of extended slow moments. I really like it

Selling over a million copies in the first year or so would be a success for Bayonetta 3 given the series history of mediocre sales.
The first sold so poorly Sega wouldn't even fund a sequel, and Bayo 2 didn't exactly set the charts on fire either on Wii U or Switch.

Bayonetta's whole-hearted commitment to an extreme style is a double edged sword in that fans adore it but it doesn't have broad mainstream appeal.
That said, if Astral Chain can break a million on Switch in a matter of months as a new IP, then Bayo 3 may just be the game that breaks the IP's sales curse.
How hard Nintendo push it in terms of marketing will be a key factor as well.

So far, everything I'm seeing points to a game that lives up to the series pedigree of gloriously ridiculous action, and so I personally will be getting it day 1.
In an increasingly homogenous industry I'm so glad we have devs like Platinum who don't give a damn about chasing trends and will put out brilliantly idiosyncratic gems.

Zelda like? That's interesting, I've never heard anyone describe it that way before. I know there are some divisive sidequests though.
Yea, what's what I really found weird when I first played it. You do a lot of exploratory stuff in a non-hostile environment, taking on little sidequests before you tackle a dungeon environment. There are even environmental puzzles that are solved with the dungeon items (new legion). I haven't played Nier Automata, so I can't compare the director's previous work. It's the best feeling Zelda-like without leaning too hard on the Zelda

Yea, what's what I really found weird when I first played it. You do a lot of exploratory stuff in a non-hostile environment, taking on little sidequests before you tackle a dungeon environment. There are even environmental puzzles that are solved with the dungeon items (new legion). I haven't played Nier Automata, so I can't compare the director's previous work. It's the best feeling Zelda-like without leaning too hard on the Zelda
Congratulations. You just sold me on Astral Chain.

Astral Chain is huge because of this sidequest alone:

Have my Bayo 1 pre-ordered from Best Buy.

I should be receiving Bayo 2 today. It comes with a download code for Bayo 1. Obviously I do not need it. Not sure if the code will work or not because I am getting it from PNP Games in Canada, BUT if someone needs Bayo 1, I will give them the code (if it actually comes with one lol).

Pre-ordered the physical copy of Bayonetta as well, so hopefully it’s interchangeable with the digital version… No reason why it shouldn’t be if it’s the same exact game and Nintendo’s publishing it again, but since it’s a super late release I’m slightly worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom