• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Batman Arkham Trilogy coming to Nintendo Switch on December 1st (out now!)

this one had been rumored for what feels like the better half of the Switch's life, nice to see it finally manifesting!

Arkham Knight was the one no one said could run on switch right?

We've seen plenty of impossible ports, maybe Knight is one of them?
Personally, I've never played it because the PC port was allegedly super bad xD

I loved Arkham Asylum but City felt off to me. While I loved the story in the opening hours, I quickly became annoyed traversing the city and finding missions. Something about it just didn't stick with me.

Maybe I should give it another chance?

Yet another one (or would that be three?) from my "third party Switch ports I really, REALLY want to exist" list has finally appeared. I would say "Mass Effect, you're next!", but that one is on EA, so... yeah.

(Also, if they can make Arkham Knight look and run acceptably, that could end up being like... THE impossible port)

Absolutely adore all three of these games and have been waiting for this announcement for what feels like ages. Really curious how well Knight runs on the Switch. Even today the PS4/Xbox One version is still one of the best looking games out there IMO.

I think I own these on both PlayStation and Xbox, but I’ll still pick these up because I never played them.

I loved Arkham Asylum but City felt off to me. While I loved the story in the opening hours, I quickly became annoyed traversing the city and finding missions. Something about it just didn't stick with me.

Even if it's not as good as Asylum I'd say it's definitely worth giving another chance. Exploration can get a bit tedious though, I agree.

The open world is definitely a mixed bag. Asylum is still the most tightly designed, but yeah, you should give City another shot.

And wow, finally we have the Batman Arkham games on Switch. About time.

Wonder why they decided to port Knight rather than Origins. Surely the latter would be easier to get running properly.

Wonder why they decided to port Knight rather than Origins. Surely the latter would be easier to get running properly.
whynotboth.gif

Joking aside, Origins hasn't been ported to anything apart from its original platforms. It is safe to say that for whatever reason Warner Bros doesn't want to acknowledge it (maybe because it wasn't developed by Rocksteady?).

It's a shame, because other than being derivative, it isn't a bad game at all.

I haven't played Arkham Asylum in a very long time on PS3. Arkham City was on the Wii-U ~9 years ago. I barely touched Knight on PS4.

I'll probably pick this up for nostalgia.

Never played these games but have heard they were good and hearing Conroy and Hamil in the trailer makes me want to play it.

Love Knight, very interested in finally playing Asylum. City is whatever, I guess; nice to have, but nothing I've been longing for.

Quite amused at people who consider Batman: Arkham Knight an “impossible” port. This game isn’t going to blow up or melt your Switch. It’s… rather embarrassing, tbqh. I remember the excuses not to bring it to the Wii U being around the idea that it “couldn’t handle the Batmobile” - Let’s just ignore that in the same year, there was another open world game on the Wii U called Xenoblade Chronicles X, where you had verticality and could traverse the land in Transformer-style mechs. Batman: AK was never “impossible”, and it wasn’t a UE4 title, but one built on a modified version of UE3. Since then, we have Witcher 3, Breath, and Tears, the latter two with environmental interaction on top, and the former a title from the same year as Batman: AK, regarded as one of the defining open world titles of the last decade, on a cart with all the DLC, but we still have this silly song and dance, this faux concern about whether the game can run or not. It can. That’s before we come to the fact that it’s going to have a Switch Lite/Portable performance profile, which is largely considered to be “Wii U equivalent”. So, we’ve come full circle here, and perhaps it wasn’t so “underpowered” after all. How well it runs depends on a combination of the competence of the developers and the will of the publishers. If it’s a bad job, it’s exactly that. A bad job. It’s not indicative of the hardware’s capabilities, but it will lead to the same tiresome cycle of calls for new hardware. It’s here because it has been determined that a competent performance level is achievable, and most Switch owners are willing to make the trade-off for the option of a portable experience. At this point, getting the trilogy with all DLC on a single cart would be the more impressive accomplishment here.

Origins hasn’t been ported anywhere because UE3 games have had a general problem moving to successive platforms. It isn’t borne out of a desire to erase that title (although it’s the worst of these entries). Developers, PS and XBox fanpeople loved to act all precious in the Wii U era, and it still happens now with this tendency to overshoot PS/XBox hardware while undershooting Nintendo hardware, which, by the way, never made false promises or tried to sell itself as a “powerhouse”. Coming back to this trilogy, there was nothing in the trailer to suggest there would be problems, and in any event, the gameplay we saw wasn’t final.

City >>> Asylum >>>>>> Knight >>>>>>>>>>>> Origins. Haven’t finished all of them, but that’s my preference.

I remember seeing Asylum described as “Metroid Batman” and City described as “Zelda Batman” at the Old Old Place. I thought those were interesting descriptions, and which one you prefer might depend on your general tastes. Might have a chance of actually finishing the Arkham Collection now that I can also do portable.

If they put up the money for all the games on one cart then that would be fantastic. May get this on sale cause I've somehow missed all these games back in the day.

Also it looks like these ports were handled by Turn Me Up Games, who did the Tony Hawk 1&2, It Takes Two and the Borderlands Collection ports on Switch so they should be solid.

Definately feels like the sort of games you'd expect to have been budget ports years ago. Never late than never I suppose.

We have boxart

FzK_YXAWIAY5Raj

This feels like a pointless release with it coming so ridiculously late.

Can't imagine that there's much of an audience for these ports at this point.
It is a bit late and will probably not sell well (and will be used as an excuse to not port things because "they don't sell") but... they're good games and I'd happily pick them up again cause I haven't played them in ages (or never in case of Knight) and I can't be the only one with that mindset.

This feels like a pointless release with it coming so ridiculously late.

Can't imagine that there's much of an audience for these ports at this point.
You've got a whole thread here that's looking like quite a big audience for these ports.

Three good games, first one especially
But this would have been interesting, globally speaking, in 2017 imho

Quite amused at people who consider Batman: Arkham Knight an “impossible” port. This game isn’t going to blow up or melt your Switch. It’s… rather embarrassing, tbqh. I remember the excuses not to bring it to the Wii U being around the idea that it “couldn’t handle the Batmobile” - Let’s just ignore that in the same year, there was another open world game on the Wii U called Xenoblade Chronicles X, where you had verticality and could traverse the land in Transformer-style mechs. Batman: AK was never “impossible”, and it wasn’t a UE4 title, but one built on a modified version of UE3. Since then, we have Witcher 3, Breath, and Tears, the latter two with environmental interaction on top, and the former a title from the same year as Batman: AK, regarded as one of the defining open world titles of the last decade, on a cart with all the DLC, but we still have this silly song and dance, this faux concern about whether the game can run or not. It can. That’s before we come to the fact that it’s going to have a Switch Lite/Portable performance profile, which is largely considered to be “Wii U equivalent”. So, we’ve come full circle here, and perhaps it wasn’t so “underpowered” after all. How well it runs depends on a combination of the competence of the developers and the will of the publishers. If it’s a bad job, it’s exactly that. A bad job. It’s not indicative of the hardware’s capabilities, but it will lead to the same tiresome cycle of calls for new hardware. It’s here because it has been determined that a competent performance level is achievable, and most Switch owners are willing to make the trade-off for the option of a portable experience. At this point, getting the trilogy with all DLC on a single cart would be the more impressive accomplishment here.

Origins hasn’t been ported anywhere because UE3 games have had a general problem moving to successive platforms. It isn’t borne out of a desire to erase that title (although it’s the worst of these entries). Developers, PS and XBox fanpeople loved to act all precious in the Wii U era, and it still happens now with this tendency to overshoot PS/XBox hardware while undershooting Nintendo hardware, which, by the way, never made false promises or tried to sell itself as a “powerhouse”. Coming back to this trilogy, there was nothing in the trailer to suggest there would be problems, and in any event, the gameplay we saw wasn’t final.
You know, if you disagree with other people's opinions, you could do so without calling said opinions "rather embarrassing". Politeness goes a long way.

You know, if you disagree with other people's opinions, you could do so without calling said opinions "rather embarrassing". Politeness goes a long way.

Yeah, I was going to reply to that sad post but I saw your reply first so I decided to better second you.

I mean, if someone says "This game can't run on the Switch" why you should take that statement personally and like a personal offence ? like, why? that's so sad and unearned.

...why can't they be bothered to port over Origins to anything? It's the only one I haven't played yet

Cool that they ported the trilogy but I've already played all of them a long time ago 😅

Instead of arguing with an incendiary message, let's be glad that these games are coming.

I love batman and I can't wait to replay his saga on portable.

Do these hold up
Should I consider them despite having barely any idea what they are

They were good games back then, and I think they are good games now, whether you'll personally enjoy them is difficult to say. I would say that if you like / know a bit about Batman lore you'll probably enjoy them even more.

Do these hold up
Should I consider them despite having barely any idea what they are
Do you like Batman? Then definitely pick them up and give them a try. Even if you don't like Batman, chances are you'll have fun with the games, given the combat is still widely used in modern action games and the atmosphere, especially of the first one, is fantastic.

RE: Batman, I liked the Tim Burton movies and the 90s cartoon and the trailer gave me the vibes of both of those (as opposed to the CSI: Gotham vibes of Nolan, by point of comparison), which is one reason I'm interested. Besides just hearing good things in passing.

Does the Nintendo Switch physical version of Batman: Arkham Trilogy include all three games on one cartridge?
Batman: Arkham Asylum will be included on the Batman: Arkham Trilogy game cartridge. Batman: Arkham City and Batman: Arkham Knight will require an online connection to download and install both titles when the Batman: Arkham Trilogy cartridge is inserted into the Nintendo Switch console. All three games will then be playable as long as the cartridge is inserted into the Nintendo Switch console.

First game is all on the cartridge, the other games is partially on the cartridge.

Back
Top Bottom