• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Batman Arkham Trilogy coming to Nintendo Switch on December 1st (out now!)

These games are among the best ever created, they were the first non-Nintendo games I’ve played and they carry a lot of that perfectionist, detailed magic that many Nintendo titles have. I’m wondering why the general reception of this announcement is quite low-key, it’s either that most people already know them and their quality, or that the Arkham franchise is not as popular anymore. I’m just so happy that they made their way on the Switch.
I think it's more due to the fact that this announcement has been expected for some time now. Once they release and people see the work put in, then interest will skyrocket.

As far as how Arkham Knight will run on Switch, it's worth noting that while it is a beautiful game, it actually runs on older technology; Unreal Engine 3, not 4.

UE3 actually has a quite a good track record on Switch, arguably better than UE4, with some exceptional ports like Outlast II and Mortal Kombat 11, and Turn Me Up themselves actually built new tech for converting UE3 to Switch back when they did the Borderlands Collection: https://www.thegamer.com/unreal-engine-2-5-3-games-run-native-nintendo-switch-new-tech/

So while the jury's still out, there's plenty of positive signs for the port turning out well.

These games are among the best ever created, they were the first non-Nintendo games I’ve played and they carry a lot of that perfectionist, detailed magic that many Nintendo titles have. I’m wondering why the general reception of this announcement is quite low-key, it’s either that most people already know them and their quality, or that the Arkham franchise is not as popular anymore. I’m just so happy that they made their way on the Switch.
I agree, this is one of the best trilogies in recent videogames (and yes, I also liked origins). So much care and details were put into each game.To me the announcement was a megaton, one of the best moments of the direct. I understand most people focus on first party announcements when watching directs, but when the launch date will approach and we begin to see more trailers and images, the interest will skyrocket. If they are indeed the original games of city and asylum instead the awful remasters, and Knight looks as good as it did in the trailer this can be one of the best miracle ports ever.

And as I said before, I'm really glad we are getting the 3 games in the same package. Given the amount of work Knight will surely need, they could have sold us city and asylum in a pack and Knight separately.

Having these games on a portable console is truly a dream.

As far as how Arkham Knight will run on Switch, it's worth noting that while it is a beautiful game, it actually runs on older technology; Unreal Engine 3, not 4.

UE3 actually has a quite a good track record on Switch, arguably better than UE4, with some exceptional ports like Outlast II and Mortal Kombat 11, and Turn Me Up themselves actually built new tech for converting UE3 to Switch back when they did the Borderlands Collection: https://www.thegamer.com/unreal-engine-2-5-3-games-run-native-nintendo-switch-new-tech/

So while the jury's still out, there's plenty of positive signs for the port turning out well.
Oh fuck, that's so cool! I wonder if more Unreal 2.5 games may be eligible. Key candidate; Red Steel. But not the one we got, but perhaps the prettier version shown off at E3 and press material. I wonder if that version ran on a PC that they thought would match the Wii's specs, but had to downgrade it by launch. I wonder how complete this version was. I'm sure there's loads others, especially by Ubisoft.

Oh fuck, that's so cool! I wonder if more Unreal 2.5 games may be eligible. Key candidate; Red Steel. But not the one we got, but perhaps the prettier version shown off at E3 and press material. I wonder if that version ran on a PC that they thought would match the Wii's specs, but had to downgrade it by launch. I wonder how complete this version was. I'm sure there's loads others, especially by Ubisoft.
they're more likely to port Red Steel 2 and try to make everyone forget Red Steel 1 was a thing

This is the most watched Direct video on YouTube after Mario games and Pikmin 4. I guess there still IS a big demand for late ports like this. I expect this collection to sell much better than WB predicts.

Even with something like Arkham Knight being playable on a handheld PC like the Steam Deck, there still is a certain magic to seeing games like these appear on Switch.
The comparatively small userbase of any of the handheld PCs out there obviously means that this will be many people's very first portable experience with the Arkham games, too, which will certainly help push the general interest in these ports.

I can't wait to see the results! Another Arkham Knight playthrough might just be what I need.
Simply love the Metroidvania / Zelda-esque design philosophies at work here.

Already played Asylum and City, never played Knight. DLC of Asylum worth it? I liked "metroidvania" style of Asylum, maybe I pick Asylum and Knight.

I hope they include a new game minus mode that the Arkham Asylum speed running community created with the modified save.

will there be an option to purchase any of the game separately? Really just want Arkham knight.

Already played Asylum and City, never played Knight. DLC of Asylum worth it? I liked "metroidvania" style of Asylum, maybe I pick Asylum and Knight.
Asylum dlcs are skins and extra content for the challenges maps

This is the most watched Direct video on YouTube after Mario games and Pikmin 4. I guess there still IS a big demand for late ports like this. I expect this collection to sell much better than WB predicts.

Yep, hoping it sells a ton and encourages more late ports for the last year of Switch/Switch 2 launch period.

Last edited:
Only Arkham Asylum will be on the cartridge. You will have to download the other two games.

Does the Nintendo Switch physical version of Batman: Arkham Trilogy include all three games on one cartridge?
Batman: Arkham Asylum will be included on the Batman: Arkham Trilogy game cartridge. Batman: Arkham City and Batman: Arkham Knight will require an online connection to download and install both titles when the Batman: Arkham Trilogy cartridge is inserted into the Nintendo Switch console. All three games will then be playable as long as the cartridge is inserted into the Nintendo Switch console.

First game is all on the cartridge, the other games is partially on the cartridge.

The other two games need a patch, like the bioshock collection

430k views on Youtube already! Is this the second most watched Direct reveal trailer for a third party game? I know Monster Hunter Rise takes the crown with 670k views.

I hope the performance is good, especially Arkham knight, if it is , could be another one of those impossible port type dealies.

Now if only Embracer group would release a compilation of the core design Tomb Raider games. Or at the very least the original Crystal Dynamics trilogy.

Super curious to see how Arkham Knight looks and runs, it might be the most impressive port if it delivers because it's a very good looking game.

430k views on Youtube already! Is this the second most watched Direct reveal trailer for a third party game? I know Monster Hunter Rise takes the crown with 670k views.

should be up there! I think Fortnite is the top dog though, it was revealed at the E3 direct and it has many million views.
Or do you mean non E3 directs perhaps?

I can't wait to see Arkham Knight on the OLED! It's still one of the best looking games to this date, imo, and I can see it looking really crisp on the OLED screen. Especially with that artstyle. Beautiful game for the hardware.
It's also just super fun to play. :'D Might be important as well. ;P

Between this collection, Mortal Kombat 1 launching day-and-date, and even the terf game coming soon, WB are probably the most active AAA 3rd party publisher on Switch right now, which I definitely wouldn't have predicted a few years ago.

Also, this makes the decision for Multiversus to skip Switch even weirder.

Between this collection, Mortal Kombat 1 launching day-and-date, and even the terf game coming soon, WB are probably the most active AAA 3rd party publisher on Switch right now, which I definitely wouldn't have predicted a few years ago.

Also, this makes the decision for Multiversus to skip Switch even weirder.
Multiversus is dead

It's supposed to relaunch in 2024. Whether or not it ends up actually being successful this time remains to be seen (I personally doubt it)
I think the problem with Multiversus was that the netcode solution, rollback, alongside the focus on 2v2 battles made it a pretty challenging port on Switch specifically for the CPU.

They could have gone with another solution for a Switch version but it doesn't seem like they have had much of a budget to do that if you look at how barebones the game was at launch and how slow and/or meaningful the updates were overtime. Warner Bros wanted a Smash like success without putting in the money and it showed.

seems promising, also I don't know if people took a look to compare but are the Arkham Asylum and City versions ported from their original PS3 and 360 versions or are they using the uglier (imo) virtuos remasters ?
I just did a quick and dirty comparison and at the very least they look like the PS3/360/PC originals. See for yourself:

Arkham Asylum PS3

Arkham-PS3.png

Return to Arkham PS4

Return-to-Arkham.png

Arkham Trilogy Switch

Arkham-Switch.png

I just did a quick and dirty comparison and at the very least they look like the PS3/360/PC originals. See for yourself:

Arkham Asylum PS3

Arkham-PS3.png

Return to Arkham PS4

Return-to-Arkham.png

Arkham Trilogy Switch

Arkham-Switch.png
Oh yeah the glass material in the background on the right look exactly the same in the PS3 and Switch versions, that's promising.

Thankfully it seems they went with the original versions. Visually they are much better, and as I said previously, switch could end having the best console version of those games.

Given the Return to Arkham games are running on UE4, which is a bit of a challenge for Switch, they probably opted for the original version.
Probably using a version of the PC game, hopefully it isn't using the NVidia capeworks with Physix, that was known to cause issues with the framerate dropping.

Probably using a version of the PC game, hopefully it isn't using the NVidia capeworks with Physix, that was known to cause issues with the framerate dropping.
Oh god, I remember the damn Nvidia stuff, was such a pain on my AMD-powered PC back then :'D

Quoted by: SiG
I LOVED Assylum and City when they came out and I replay them every 4-5 years. I skipped Origins due to the poor reception it got and never got into the series again, so I'm very glad to see that Knight is completing the package, this may make me bite the bullet.

Arkham Asylum PS3

Arkham-PS3.png

Return to Arkham PS4

Return-to-Arkham.png

Arkham Trilogy Switch

Arkham-Switch.png
Not a dev but i think porting from the "weaker" consoles is propably easier for a Switch port. (Not saying they couldn't port from PS4/One) Arkham Knight, however, remains a wild card as this does not have a PS3/360 version.

Not a dev but i think porting from the "weaker" consoles is propably easier for a Switch port. (Not saying they couldn't port from PS4/One) Arkham Knight, however, remains a wild card as this does not have a PS3/360 version.
It depends. Sometimes it's easier to port from PS3/360 because, as you say, they are weaker platforms and thus, their versions of the games aren't as demanding. Other times it's easier to use the PS4/Xbone versions as a basis because the tech used in the older versions isn't compatible with the Switch, or it's so outdated that it's even cumbersome to work with.

In this case though, there is very little incentive to use the Return to Arkham versions, seeing how it's a generally disliked remaster that doesn't really look or perform adequately (or at least it didn't initially; I don't know if they fixed it since then).

Back
Top Bottom