• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Anime |ST| Is Captain Falcon more anime than Fire Emblem?

So I resubbed to HiDive since this new season is pretty light. I'll probably only keep the sub for a month or two. My last sub ran out at the end of 2022. So if you got any recommendations for anything that came out in 2023, I'd appreciate it.
Genuinely the only reason to deal with Hi-Dive's awful service is Oshi No Ko. Not to say there aren't other good shows, but OnK is the only one that's so excellent it demands putting up with their awful everything.

So I resubbed to HiDive since this new season is pretty light. I'll probably only keep the sub for a month or two. My last sub ran out at the end of 2022. So if you got any recommendations for anything that came out in 2023, I'd appreciate it.
Oh 2 more things, first second season of Demon girl next door was excellent(and if you haven’t watched the first one, do it!)

Second the Xbox app is the most stable way to watch if you have an Xbox. Web browser is second

The latest episode of Solo Leveling was literally this

s-l1200.webp

My Big Three from this season (actually previous season because theyre all 2 cours) have been Frieren, Apothecary Diaries and
Shangri-La Frontier.

SLF really got that "gamer" feel down! It migjt be the best game genre anime I've seen! The lastest episode popped of with its animation!

As for Ragna Crimson's latest episode, I felt like I got punched in the face and still feel offended by it. I'm just gonna pretend it never happened because otherwise I'll be sad. (It's an amazing show it's edgy but in a good way!)

Excited Love Live Superstar Season 3 was confirmed today to start in October! I’m guessing this is the final season, so I’m excited to see how the story ends.

Incidentally for Love Live, I switched from playing LLSIF2 on Normal difficulty to Hard. I was enjoying the game prior, but Hard is super fun and such a rush! Love it now. Really recommend Love Live fans check it out.

SLF really got that "gamer" feel down! It migjt be the best game genre anime I've seen! The lastest episode popped of with its animation!
Shangri-la Frontier is the anime I wanted Sword Art Online to be. I was laughing when the Sunraku, Katzo and Pencilgon, walking into a survival battle with an overpowered boss, decided, "nah, forget just surviving, we're taking this sucker down."

Excited Love Live Superstar Season 3 was confirmed today to start in October!
tenor.gif

I'm excited for more Chisato, Keke and Sumire shenanigans

This season have been very fun for me. The dangers in my heart have been so good... since last year honestly, but the first couple of episodes of the second season were very emotional. I was already very invested in the show since the third episode of the first season, but this lastest episode was so good. Love Ichikawa really pulled a Kamina-Simon motivational speech on himself lol

Frieren and The Apothecaries Diaries continue to be very strong animes, specially Maomao.

I'm two episodes behind Dungeon Meshi, but I'm liking it too.

Mashle S2 is a good replace for Dr. Stone S3, both are two animes which I'm not sure if I want read the manga because how much I love them and I want finish them this way (beside I'm trying to buy other mangas already <_< )

And it's weird to put it at the end because at this point is still one of the my favorite anime of this and past season but recent Undead Unluck episodes have been very erratic in pacing. I mean today episode needed the flashbacks, not the previous two lol I hope the anime ends strong and get a second season.

I'm glad more and more people are acknowledging how impeccable the world building in Dungeon Meshi is. It wasn't just manga fans overhyping it.

Also:

I'm glad more and more people are acknowledging how impeccable the world building in Dungeon Meshi is. It wasn't just manga fans overhyping it.

Also:

I love Dungeon Meshi so much. Not just for the comedy but definitely for the bits and pieces of world building and super fun takes on monsters (mimic crabs and bugs disguising themselves as treasure come to mind). Also the characters play off of each other so great.

I had things to say about Dungeon Meshi but I figured I’d rather anime watchers just experience it for themselves lol. All I can say is that I’ve always been a bit over DnD-style fantasy, but Dungeon Meshi is still one of my favorite manga ever.

specially Maomao
Maomao is the just the best.

but recent Undead Unluck episodes have been very erratic in pacing
Yeah I have to wonder why they’re inserting so many recaps… Kinda messes with the flow of the story, but at least the story’s going full throttle now so the ride stays exhilarating

Caught up with Frieren again after putting it off for a couple episodes.

As fun as the absolute sakuga-clashes of the mage battles in the exam were, I'm really living for the aftermath and the more personal moments of the show. Like Hangry Fern walking vs Happy Fern walking, Stark getting scolded by his wife Fern for staying up late and all of the cast enjoying some good food in the end were great. I also liked the small bits about how magic in this world works and Frieren's philosophy about it. Also I kinda understand the internet's (unhealthy) obsession with Übel 👀

Although I absolutely loved the scene with Frieren, Genau, Sense and the barrier :LOL:
Genau: "It's absolutely impossible to destroy this barrier"
Frieren: "And I took that personally!"

I'm really hoping there's going to be more (I know we're still a couple episodes away from the end of the season but still), the world needs more de-accelerated anime like this.

Watched all of the Virtua Fighter anime for the first time recently. It had a lot more humour than I was expecting, and despite some character choices I wasn't very fond of (Pai being a damsel in distress so much of the time was... not good) and the animation taking a nosedive at parts, I greatly enjoyed my time with it. Almost makes we want to seek out more martial arts-based shows.

Also I'm surprised that the second season doesn't seem to be streamed legally anywhere. Glad I picked up the Discotek release!

I meant to post yesterday, but ended up getting busy, two nights ago now I finished Dr. Stone Season 3. Loved the back half of the season as everyone worked together to defeat the petrification kingdom. All of the big characters got satisfying moments in the final battles and I’m really excited where the story is heading! Looking forward to the final season!

I also watched the Love Live Nijigasaki OVA Crunchyroll added at some point. It was…eh? That cast is way too big and no one really got a chance to shine. Even the character it tried to focus on didn’t really do much. Hopefully the three upcoming movies will be a decent conclusion.

Finally, I also watched the first episode of Spy X Family Season 2 which I might be watching next? Haven’t committed yet. The first episode threw me for a loop, because at first I was like haven’t I already seen this story animated before? I paused it and skimmed the wikis and learned I actually read the manga version prior since I have the first few volumes. It was fun at that point, I just wasn’t expecting it haha.

Probably will be watching more anime again this weekend, so once I decide what I’m watching I’ll post again.

I like to bounce around with my anime viewing so I get a little something different every night, and last night I started Tearmoon Empire and enjoyed the first episode.

I've been watching Azumanga Daioh on and off for thr past little while after I read the big omnibus, and it is an absolute joy. It's so funny, and l the girls play off each other so well. I'm also glad they gave Kaori a LOT more attention in the anime when compared to the manga. My only complaint is that Kimura is terrible and unfunny, but it's just a product of it's time so I'm able to look past it. The theme song is a goddamn bop as well. It comes highly recommeded from me!

Bang Bravern 6
Yeah, your regular giant robots might be cool and all... but do they come with a projector to project their own logo behind them?
vlcsnap-01666.png

Whoever decided to give Obari a load of cash and told him to just go and do his thing deserves a raise. Peak anime every week :LOL:

Caught up with Frieren again after putting it off for a couple episodes.

As fun as the absolute sakuga-clashes of the mage battles in the exam were, I'm really living for the aftermath and the more personal moments of the show. Like Hangry Fern walking vs Happy Fern walking, Stark getting scolded by his wife Fern for staying up late and all of the cast enjoying some good food in the end were great. I also liked the small bits about how magic in this world works and Frieren's philosophy about it. Also I kinda understand the internet's (unhealthy) obsession with Übel 👀

Although I absolutely loved the scene with Frieren, Genau, Sense and the barrier :LOL:
Genau: "It's absolutely impossible to destroy this barrier"
Frieren: "And I took that personally!"

I'm really hoping there's going to be more (I know we're still a couple episodes away from the end of the season but still), the world needs more de-accelerated anime like this.
Agreed. I caught up on Frieren yesterday and the best part of this little tournament arc has been this interlude episode.

Brave Bang Bravern 6

Bravern constantly pulling new attacks out of his ass is the best, I absolutely love it. Superbia sounding more vulgar at first when he starts getting translated also makes me wonder if he's actually a rough-and-tumble type trying to act like an honourable warrior, which would be hilarious if so. Had a good laugh at King's reaction when Bravern started recounting his story once more. "Goddamn."

So we're now at the halfway point of the series, and not a single Deathdrive has actually been defeated, and there's seven of them in total. Either we're getting another cour, or the final battle is going to be Bravern vs. most if not all of the Deathdrives at once.

I don't linger on it too much. Just tend to put the most memorable stuff I enjoyed the most. But as a longtime mecha fan #1 was obvious

--Anime Series of the year – Top 10
  1. Gundam the Witch From Mercury
  2. Campfire cooking in another world with my absurd skill
  3. The Magical Revolution of the reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady
  4. Urusei Yatsura S1
  5. Otaku Elf
  6. The Great Cleric
  7. Reborn as a Vending Machine
  8. I'm in Love With the Villainess
  9. The Vexations of a Shut-in Vampire Princess
  10. Undead Murder Farce

--Hidden Gem Anime Series – Top 3
1)Farming Life in Another World
Just a chill slice of life Show that doubles down on the obliviousness of having a near abstinent harem is a supreme irony
2)Level 1 Demon Lord and One Room Hero
Starts out a bit pervy but winds up being a fun one about a fallen hero finding a new path
3)The Vexations of a Shut-in Vampire Princess
Some funny tone bouncing aside overall a fun and silly adventure
Honorable mentions (stuff I enjoyed enough to make my consideration list but not enough to make the cut. No particular order)
  • Birdie Wing S2
  • Too Cute Crisis
  • Bofuri S2
  • Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawerence
  • The 100 Girlfriends
  • Vampire Dies in No Time S2
  • Saving 80000 Gold in Another World for my Retirement
  • I Shall Survive using Potions
  • I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness
  • The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent S2
  • Tearmoon empire

Last edited:
Whoever decided to give Obari a load of cash and told him to just go and do his thing deserves a raise. Peak anime every week
Getting to watch the latest episode was a godsend after a grueling shift. This show is so out of left field. It’s so weird that (spoilers!) Bravern knows who Superbia is but Superbia doesn’t know who Bravern is.

Either we're getting another cour, or the final battle is going to be Bravern vs. most if not all of the Deathdrives at once.
I hope we’re getting another cour. I need more!

So we're now at the halfway point of the series, and not a single Deathdrive has actually been defeated, and there's seven of them in total. Either we're getting another cour, or the final battle is going to be Bravern vs. most if not all of the Deathdrives at once.
I definitely wouldn't mind getting more than 12 episodes of Bravern.

Hello, I am the huge sap who's melting into a puddle of chocolate after watching the latest two episodes of A Sign of Affection. Both Itsuomi and Yuki are so, so cute, and (spoilers for the anime!) they're even cuter together as a couple.

This thread is making me want to dive into Undead Unluck and The Apothecary Diaries. The latter is one I've been holding out for just so I could experience it through the physical light novels later this year. The hype is starting to get to me though.

Undead Unluck has been flying under my radar apparently. Even with it releasing weekly in Jump the last few years I didn't hear much about it.

--

Now that I'm reading the Alicization arc in the novels I decided to give Sword Art Online season 1 another watch. I kind of hated it when it first aired all those years ago lol.

The urging of a friend got me to try the novels. While Aincrad through Gun Gale aren't much better in novel form, Mother's Rosario awoke something in me to give the series another chance. If nothing else I'm impressed with Kawahara's prolific tech predictions. We're now seeing the dangers of AI in real time and whatever Musk is doing with those brain chip implants-- I'm stuck between not wanting to give Kawahara too much credit but also gobsmacked at the things he got right.

As for the anime, the best parts were seeing the side stories animated; The Reindeer Quest, the murder mystery, the falling out with Klein. I think Kawahara is at his best writing stories on how human emotion and aspirations can be experienced and achieved through technology. Counterpoint, he's at his worst when he attempts to write any villain.

Never thought I'd be a SAO Hater turned Fan. 2024 is off to a wild start.

Really into Dungeon Meshi, surprising to read Kui only started gaming actively after she started the manga because you could have told me she had a decade of D&D experience and I would have believed you.

Last edited:
Fell asleep while watching Solo Leveling yesterday. Granted, I was watching around 3pm which is when I can feel my most tired but I don't think I would have fallen asleep if I was watching Frieren or Apothecary Diaries. Solo Leveling has some nice combat scenes but everything else about it just feels like nothing. A nothing protagonist, a nothing cast, in a nothing world. I don't particularly care about anything that is supposed to tie all of the action scenes together.

I'll keep watching but it's really just become something to do on a lazy Saturday rather than something I look forward to in the week.

Fell asleep while watching Solo Leveling yesterday. Granted, I was watching around 3pm which is when I can feel my most tired but I don't think I would have fallen asleep if I was watching Frieren or Apothecary Diaries. Solo Leveling has some nice combat scenes but everything else about it just feels like nothing. A nothing protagonist, a nothing cast, in a nothing world. I don't particularly care about anything that is supposed to tie all of the action scenes together.

I'll keep watching but it's really just become something to do on a lazy Saturday rather than something I look forward to in the week.
I have the first 5 dubbed episodes queued up, but hearing people say the manwha has a really weak ending and general "ehh it's fine" from people has me taking my time getting to it.

Undead Unluck 7-8

Oof you can feel the production woes between the extended prior episode recap followed by tons of in episode flashbacks to stuff we just saw 5 minutes earlier. Shame because the fight with spoil and the start of the Victor fight are excellent when they aren't doing recap attack.

Apothecary Diaries 19 - I thought the last few episodes were a little slow (not bad just not quite as good as the first cour) but man episode 19 was really something. Can't wait to see what happens in the aftermath and this stuff with Lakan coming closer and closer to the foreground. I did lol at Jinshi's slow walking scene at the end though

Classroom of the Elite s3 8 - Koenji really makes this show so much more entertaining lmao. Made the teardown way better

Tales of Wedding Rings 2-4

This is a series that feels like it was made exclusively for me. I wish the animation wasn't so weak, but outside of being an isekai this hits all my buttons for a harem action series.

Metallic Rouge 4-6

A lot happened in these three episodes. Curious to see how Naomi's betrayal plays out, would be surprised if it stuck. Not sure what else to say, I continue to really enjoy this show.

Brave Bang Bravern 7

The attempt at waterboarding the giant robot might be one of the most hilarious visuals I've ever seen.

Cupiridas went out surprisingly fast given all the build-up he got, and I'm now thinking we are headed for a boss rush ending.

Urusei Yatsura 2022 S1

Hard to comment on most episodes of this, the humor can be very hit or miss, but when it works it really works. I can see why this launched Rumiko's career even if it's not really the kind of series I'd normally like/watch. The series gets better the larger the cast gets, though Ataru and Lum's bicker like a married couple routine never works for me. I vastly prefer the rare moments where Ataru stops his tsundere act and shows he really cares for Lum. Also Ryoko is easily best girl she needs far more episodes.

Thought this was pretty wild lol. Official WcDonald’s manga & shorts! Plus, if you live in LA or will be there March 9-10, they are temp converting a real location!

(I still have only watched maybe 10 Polar Bear Café episodes but it is very good)

Frieren 24

Methode giving the party a TED talk about how hypnosis magic works while Fern just clutches her Frieren with a pouty face for a minute gave me life. Also the fact they just happily brainstorm about how to kill the clone Frieren while Frieren was all smiles is hilarious :LOL:

Thought this was pretty wild lol. Official WcDonald’s manga & shorts! Plus, if you live in LA or will be there March 9-10, they are temp converting a real location!

(I still have only watched maybe 10 Polar Bear Café episodes but it is very good)
Not sure if this is a joke taken too far or not far enough :LOL:

I'm watching Evangelion for the first time and really enjoying it! Only five episodes in, but I'm already having a blast watching the touched up Netflix material and then going back and watching the 1995 Broadcast versions with fansubs (kind of a pain to set up but whatever, it reminds me of watching TV on a real honest to god CRT like the heavens intended).

90s anime is so pervy, and that's still an upgrade over 80s anime.

After Evangelion, it's time to check out the 90s Berserk adaptation and some Legend of the Galactic Heroes everyone keeps talking about! Really looking forward to Berserk, I just finished what's published so far this year after a year long reading stint of going through the deluxe hardcover copies one by one.

I now only scream the name GRIFFFIIIIITTTTHHHH, much to the chagrin of anyone around me. 😆

it's time to check out the 90s Berserk adaptation
Unfortunately I don't think any of the anime adaptations do the slightest bit of justice for Berserk

Might as well go on and watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Definitely a great space opera of suitably epic proportions. Wouldn't call it one of my personal favorites, but I daresay any sci-fi fan should check it out at least once.

I think I bit off more than I could chew this season so thinking of putting Sasaki & Peeps and A Sign of Affection on the chopping block. The former I just don't think is very good. The split between the different settings I think did more harm than good to the story. The latter I just don't think is really my thing. I really thought I'd like A Sign of Affection but I couldn't shake the issue of feeling like Yuki was at her most boring while interacting with Itsuomi. In the first 5 episodes it just sorta felt like she was in "hopelessly crushing hard" mode whenever she was near Itsuomi and I guess it's supposed to be endearing but idk just found it kinda boring to watch. Maybe I'll try to give it another shot during the break between seasons in a few weeks. Maybe their interactions become better balanced as their relationship progresses and it moves on from the rhythm it was in with the first few episodes.

Unfortunately I don't think any of the anime adaptations do the slightest bit of justice for Berserk

Might as well go on and watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Definitely a great space opera of suitably epic proportions. Wouldn't call it one of my personal favorites, but I daresay any sci-fi fan should check it out at least once.
90's Berserk is a great piece of stand alone entertainment, it's just an awful launching off point for reading the manga or even watching the more modern anime.

Aura Battler Dunbine - end

Finished Dunbine… that was actually a really suiting ending for the themes so I actually wasn't that depressed by it? Plus Cham lived XD not everyone died. The whole main theme is abusing the nature of the soul is self destructive no matter the reason and only that destruction can bring purification. Plus implications are those purified likely returned to the cycle of Byston Well cleansed. funny to see how much of this is a test run of themes and archetypes for Zeta Gundam tho. The ship designs were pretty dang rad. Night Assualt Billbine is better looking than normal colors tho XD.
Was a solid and wild ride through and through
With Dunbine down my next BR multitasker is Nadesico

Eh, to be honest... I don't need them to. Like, the manga will always be there for me when I want it, and I don't expect a condensed color version to ever touch the black and white monolith, multiple story arc saga presented in the books. I'm interested in the 90s adaptation as a fan of 90s anime and curiosity more than anything, and just a chance to see them swinging in motion and full color.

I have zero interest in the modern adaptation, and I'm biding my time for this decade of waiting for the books to finish. (Their pace seems to be consistent and good at the moment, rest in power Miura).

90's Berserk is a great piece of stand alone entertainment, it's just an awful launching off point for reading the manga or even watching the more modern anime.
(y)

What should I check out after? I enjoyed Dallos enough, kinda wish it went further.

Just saw that the creator of Jitsu wa Watashi wa has a new manga going now. Hope it ends up being good. What I read of Jitsu wa Watashi wa was hilarious. The faces/reactions were always great.

One Punch Man is finally getting a third season. Will still be in the works at JC Staff (the people responsible for season 2), fingers crossed it'll be better. (Although I still think season 2 is overhated)

Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai is on Netflix now with a dub, after years of being red taped by a DNW order from Sag-AFTRA that we still don't know what for, it's finally up.

At least the first 50 episodes. I have no idea if the series dub will ever be complete, but maybe it will.

Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai is on Netflix now with a dub, after years of being red taped by a DNW order from Sag-AFTRA that we still don't know what for, it's finally up.

At least the first 50 episodes. I have no idea if the series dub will ever be complete, but maybe it will.
It was implied they were trying to diversify the cast. It’s been up for almost a year for purchase and went up on Hulu with dub middle of last year

SAG or the studio? I never heard this part of the story.
The studio was trying to bring in non-Canadian actors for the production to spruce up the cast and didn’t do it quite to the standards SAG wanted. Happened almost 3 years ago now and there was tons of deets at the time

Man Undead Unluck just keeps getting better and better. This better get a season 2 although I’ll likely end up reading the manga either way.

Martian Successor Nadesico 1:
Super traumatized lead, a ditzy but effective captain and the only one with sense has twin tails (Ruri) XD. Definitely more on the comedic side despite the severe circumstances and trauma, a blast of a start

Tank 9999 - 9
Well she definitely earned the name sloth in the end XD. Some solid fight animation. The plot continues to progress

Healing Magic 9
Yup, that was brutal and Rose's current state make total sense. Considering the vision a couple episodes back Usato is in for a rough time

Back
Top Bottom