• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Anime |ST| Is Captain Falcon more anime than Fire Emblem?

Finished watching Frieren's last episode and yeah, this is one of those adaptations that surpass the manga in every way. Keichiro Saito and the staff did a phenomenal job.
Thankfully, Season 2 is basically guaranteed considering the success of the series, so hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

Tons of stuff being announced for this summer I wanna watch. Sadly I lost 4 spring shows to hulu(if D+ would stop being cowards it wouldn’t be an issue tho)

Tons of stuff being announced for this summer I wanna watch. Sadly I lost 4 spring shows to hulu(if D+ would stop being cowards it wouldn’t be an issue tho)
Just saw that the Loser Ranger adaptation is going to be on Hulu. Probably would've given that a shot if it was on something else.

Just saw that the Loser Ranger adaptation is going to be on Hulu. Probably would've given that a shot if it was on something else.
That, Sandland, Mission Yozakura family and The Fable are my drops due to that. Like I said put it on D+ cowards

Finished Frieren, really enjoyed it. Exam arc felt a little bit stretched but the last 2 eps were top tier.

Gonna assume season 2 is going to take a couple years considering how busy a lot of the people on this team are, but I'd rather wait than end up with a OPM season 2 situation.

Macross makes its way into the west.. with some exceptions :v

My thoughts on Harmony Gold are not polite to put it mildly

Not anime, but regularly lumped with it, Thunderbolt Fantasy is getting a 4th season and a final chapter movie! Hope Crunchyroll snags all of it as they have before. Excited to see it wrapped up!

I consider it tokusatsu but either way, cool to see it finish up

Always a bit wistful when an anime season ends. Especially when you have to say goodbye to some amazing shows. Frieren and Undead Unluck were both great, and Apothecary Diaries is looking to finish strong too. I hope every single one gets a continuation.

Not anime, but regularly lumped with it, Thunderbolt Fantasy is getting a 4th season and a final chapter movie! Hope Crunchyroll snags all of it as they have before. Excited to see it wrapped up!

Time to finally check it out I guess. I've only seen the crossover episode with Madoka so far 😅

Apothecary Diaries is looking to finish strong too
Apothecary Diaries did indeed knock it out of the park. Lakan finally reunited with the woman he loves.

Re:Zero season 3 is coming in October!
The anime industry has been getting better about delivering much-wanted sequels in the last few years. Looking forward to where Emilia and Subaru go from where they left. Plus (spoiler) IIRC we have not awoken Rem from her slumber yet.

Re:Zero season 3 is coming in October! Only six months away :)

Also SAO Alternative Season 2!

GGO is awesome so happy bout that… re:zero on the other hand had one of my least fave tropes hit me way too hard in season one and I couldn’t go back
(Freakin terrified by/hate erased from existence)

I feel like I pop in here every few months just to say I’m loving an anime - and I’m going to do it again!

I’ve not reached the end of Frieren yet, but what a special show it is. I think the writing is extremely strong, with an exceptional grasp of humanity. So good.

An all-timer for sure, in my humble opinion.

Brave Bang Bravern 11
Segnities.jpg

Despite how little time we got to spend with him, Segnities might be my favourite Deathdrive; he was hilarious and speaks the truth! That duel between Bravern and Superbia was pure kickassery (and makes me wonder all the more if the two of them will combine before the end), and everything with the campout was delightful. WHY DOES THIS SHOW HAVE TO BE ENDING SO SOON

Brave Bang Bravern 11
Segnities is a silly, silly goose. I concur that they might be my favorite Deathdrive so far.

I’ve not reached the end of Frieren yet, but what a special show it is. I think the writing is extremely strong, with an exceptional grasp of humanity.
Quite so. Not sure how far along you are, but Frieren does absolutely shine in the poignant character moments.

Frieren 28

This was a nice end to the arc and show, I loved how Serie was hellbent on weeding out attendees but ended up passing most of them anyway, especially the Übel scene was funny (felt a bit like "Hell no, I'm not going to bother with that psycho" :LOL: ). In the end, it didn't make me ugly cry, though I will definitely miss this little show.

Bravern 11

Speaking of missing... yeah, I'm gonna miss this funny robot show too. Loved the scenes with them at the campfire, especially between Bravern and Isami. And the fight in the second half of the episode was fantastic too! That mood whiplash at the end though... how are they going to solve this? Maybe Bravern and Superbia will fuse in the end? Also absolutely agreed on Segnities.

Anything interesting on the horizon this anime season? Haven’t really been following it.
I’ll be revising my watch list in a bit, but I lost a couple of the fun ones to Hulu sadly. Let me finish then I’m happy to give some recs. Summer looks crazy tho

As far as new stuff goes, I have Kaiju No. 8 and Spice&Wolf and maybe Sentai Daishikkaku on my list for Spring season.

There's also the continuing Dungeon Meshi as well as Konosuba's 3rd season :D Oh and Demon Slayer's latest season.

A rare instance of nothing being in my YouTube watch later list, so I loaded up the first episode of My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! and holy smokes, I'm getting so many Rune Factory vibes. Will absolutely watch the rest over the coming days.

Undead Unluck 24

Was a really nice send-off and pretty cool sort of final bossfight. BUT I WANT MORE, especially with that final scene :LOL:

Dungeon Meshi 12

Well... that was way easier than I anticipated. Though I assume there will be some sort of consequences? At least we finally got to see them cook that dragon :D

Ok, list updated. not inherently final, it's me I can be swayed to try others. plus if some of this stuff is in inconvenient spots they'll drop

cachedImage.png

24 episodes, babyyyy!

That means they have almost as much runtime as the original show. Hopefully this means they're going to continue and adapt the rest :D

Since Akira Toriyama passed away, I decided to start watching the Dragon Ball Z movies on Crunchyroll. While I’d prefer the dub for nostalgia’s sake, I’m fine with the sub from watching Super and thus since this was both convenient and since they are generally fairly short this didn’t seem too daunting. The big appeal here for me was aside from some of the Team Four Star versions, I’m not sure I’ve seen half of the ones before Battle of the Gods, so I figured this would be fun to get some new to me Dragon Ball that gives the extended cast some time to shine in addition to Goku. I’ve seen the first three now, Dead Zone, World’s Strongest, and Tree of Might which if I never saw them all the way through prior I at least saw the majority of each one on Toonami so many years ago now. Wanted to write down some short thoughts on each one.

Dead Zone - My least favorite of the three, but it’s kind of fun to see the first take on the general formula where a bunch of goons cause trouble and pick a fight with Goku and then eventually they fight the big bad. Garlic Jr is fairly whatever here, but I do dig his castle and the big Dead Zone attack is interesting. I also thought it was fun when it seems like all of the bad guys have been stopped, Goku and Piccolo have a short fight. Also I forgot exactly how wacky it gets when Gohan starts tripping out after he eats the demon fruit lol. One thing that’s kind of fun here is the name of the film in Japanese is apparently something like “Give me back my Gohan!” and years of seeing the “Goku is a bad Dad” memes it is kind of fun in all three of these movies to see he clearly cares about his son.

World’s Strongest - this is a good step up from the last one with more exciting animation, better goon fights, and a more unusual villain. I like Master Roshi gets a cool fight in here in addition to the standard Goku, Piccolo, Gohan, and Krillin groups. This one probably strikes the best balance between more martial arts adventure action and the ki blasts of Z. Also the ending is kind of fun with a Spirit Bomb that actually works.

Tree of Might - I just watched this one tonight and I kind of dug this one the most of the first three even if it might not have the strengths of World’s Strongest. I like we get the full Z fighters group here with Yamcha and Tien joining the group. The goon fights weren’t quite as good as the last one, but I just kind of liked the flow of the film more I guess? This one feels firmly like a Z film which is the era I have the most nostalgia for. I thought Evil Goku actually worked fairly well here, better than I remembered, since he has some smug charisma and is a more active presence here throughout the film. Also the evil tree at the heart of the film is pretty interesting to watch grow, cause havoc, and nearly wipe out the planet. Finally, I do like the dragon Gohan becomes friends with haha.

Next up is Lord Slug which I saw the Team Four Star version of, but I barely remember that and I otherwise haven’t seen it. I don’t really have a timeline in mind for watching these films, but I might get to it fairly soon.

I read that Dungeon Meshi will have 24 episodes. Is it on a halfway break now, or will there be a new episode this week?

Haven't read anything about a pause, so I assume they're just gonna continue
Awesome.

I hope the gore is over. I decided to let my kids watch the show, but not the last two episodes. They really loved it and keep asking me about the next episode, as well as chatting about all the different monsters.

Besides the blood, the last episode felt a bit fan service-y in places.

I hope the gore is over. I decided to let my kids watch the show, but not the last two episodes. They really loved it and keep asking me about the next episode, as well as chatting about all the different monsters.

Besides the blood, the last episode felt a bit fan service-y in places.
The fanservice-y stuff will be mostly confined to that part, but fair warning that the gore is far from over, plus there will be other forms of dark subject matter that the story will tackle. I can empathetically say that Dungeon Meshi isn't really meant for little kids.

The fanservice-y stuff will be mostly confined to that part, but fair warning that the gore is far from over, plus there will be other forms of dark subject matter that the story will tackle. I can empathetically say that Dungeon Meshi isn't really meant for little kids.
Yeah I appreciate that. I'll be watching eps before deciding if they continue, but I'm glad they saw up to ep 10. At the moment my eldest is reading... a book series that I'm not sure I can name here, and both have always loved monsters, so they got a ton out of this. So far I think the darker themes have been handled in a way that either goes over kids' heads, or is comedic enough to not spook them.

Yay, had to slip back over the hill all of a sudden and picked up a package I thought I’d miss so here’s my full batch of recent arrivals
IMG_8712.jpg

Also Kinnikuman perfect origin arc core cast got announced and it is Stacked

Kinnikuman: Mamoru Miyano
Meat: Sumire Uesaka
Terryman: Daisuke Ono
Robin Mask: Katsuyuki Konishi
Warsman: Yuki Kaji
Ramenman: Tomokazu Seki
Brocken Jr.: Jun Kasama
Geronimo: Kensho Ono
Buffaloman: Hiroki Yasumoto
Black Hole: Toshiya Miyata
Stecasee-King: Tetsuya Kakihara
Springman: Hiroyuki Yoshino
Mr. Khamen: Kisho Taniyama
Atlantis: Yasuhiro Mamiya
The Mountain: Mitsuaki Kanuka
Mayumi Kinniku/Prince Kamehame: Akira Kamiya
Chairperson: Toshio Furukawa

With the new season upon us shortly, thought I'd audit my list with an End of season status update. Blue is done/finished, green is current(dubbed stuff), yellow is behind(but going try and catch up. Especially since dubbed stuff I can toss on while working on a kit) and red is dropped/lost access for the moment
cachedImage.png

After reading the Fist Of The North Star manga, I watched the anime movie. That was tremendous! An incredibly gorgeous production, possibly the best Toei animation of the 80s I've ever seen. The tone is quite dark even for the series, haunting even, with some fantastic artwork and storyboarding. Some sequences were more experimental and wouldn't be out of place in a Mamoru Oishii film. A must watch for any fan of 80s anime.

My only disappointment was a few scenes clearly suffered from film damage and stood out compared to the otherwise fantastic remaster.

After reading the Fist Of The North Star manga, I watched the anime movie. That was tremendous! An incredibly gorgeous production, possibly the best Toei animation of the 80s I've ever seen. The tone is quite dark even for the series, haunting even, with some fantastic artwork and storyboarding. Some sequences were more experimental and wouldn't be out of place in a Mamoru Oishii film. A must watch for any fan of 80s anime
I should give the movie a proper go. I don't think I've ever watched it in full.

The Spice and Wolf remake is good, I'm so happy

24 episodes, babyyyy!

That means they have almost as much runtime as the original show. Hopefully this means they're going to continue and adapt the rest :D
The opening scene makes me a lot more hopeful that this is the intention

Saw another Dragon Ball Z film so wanted to write a post on it. Aside from a Team Four Star version I barely remember at all, this was my first time seeing the film so I was really looking forward to this one.

Lord Slug (4th film) - I think I enjoyed this one the most so far. It starts off with a pretty funny extended scene with Gohan whistling and dancing with his dragon friend from the prior film and then things kick into action when a planet randomly appears and might crash into Earth. Turns out Lord Slug likes turning planets into rockets which is…unique lol. Anyway the alien crew lands and Gohan fights a bunch of them for a bit, a short break happens, and then Gohan is back alone again to fight them off. The goons here were a little weak aside from the weird googly eye guy, but what made it fun was when Goku showed up and just obliterated them. While Gohan and Piccolo did help here save the day I dug this was mostly a fight between Goku and Slug. One big thing I thought was neat, I randomly happened to learn a few days ago apparently this film is called something like Super Saiyan Goku in Japan and when it first aired later that same week Goku went proper Super Saiyan for the first time in the manga. It was pretty cool then seeing him almost go Super Saiyan here. Some final random stuff, it was funny Krillin just got blown away immediately twice and I liked that whistling from the start of the film actually came back later to help defeat Slug lol.

Next up is Cooler’s Revenge which I think I saw part of on Cartoon Network? Same deal with its sequel. Excited to see both of them soon.

Turns out Lord Slug likes turning planets into rockets which is…unique lol
To be fair, turning planets into space cruisers would be a rad hobby if it didn't, err, annihilate living things

The Spice and Wolf remake is good, I'm so happy
I teared up from the first episode of the remake. They didn't just update the art, they added all these little details, and they're clearly aiming to be more novel-accurate. And yes, the opening sequence implies they're going to go through all the novels.

Feels like they spent half the budget on animating Holo's ears and tail. A worthwhile investment if you ask me 🤣

First episode was really good, I expected to be kinda weirded out by the new artstyle and Holo's younger appearance but that all didn't really matter, I loved every second of it. Also new opening and ending are good!

Last edited:
Saw another Dragon Ball Z film so wanted to write a post on it. Aside from a Team Four Star version I barely remember at all, this was my first time seeing the film so I was really looking forward to this one.

Lord Slug (4th film) - I think I enjoyed this one the most so far. It starts off with a pretty funny extended scene with Gohan whistling and dancing with his dragon friend from the prior film and then things kick into action when a planet randomly appears and might crash into Earth. Turns out Lord Slug likes turning planets into rockets which is…unique lol. Anyway the alien crew lands and Gohan fights a bunch of them for a bit, a short break happens, and then Gohan is back alone again to fight them off. The goons here were a little weak aside from the weird googly eye guy, but what made it fun was when Goku showed up and just obliterated them. While Gohan and Piccolo did help here save the day I dug this was mostly a fight between Goku and Slug. One big thing I thought was neat, I randomly happened to learn a few days ago apparently this film is called something like Super Saiyan Goku in Japan and when it first aired later that same week Goku went proper Super Saiyan for the first time in the manga. It was pretty cool then seeing him almost go Super Saiyan here. Some final random stuff, it was funny Krillin just got blown away immediately twice and I liked that whistling from the start of the film actually came back later to help defeat Slug lol.

Next up is Cooler’s Revenge which I think I saw part of on Cartoon Network? Same deal with its sequel. Excited to see both of them soon.
Lord Slug was such a fun villain and a solid retcon of who caused the calamity on Namek that the manga never covered. Love it when he pops up in games

Something else cool I saw yesterday is that the original Urusei Yatsura anime was recently added to Crunchyroll! For a long time, the only legal way to watch the original series was to buy a bunch of overpriced DVDs (and more recently there were a few Blu-ray sets).

I teared up from the first episode of the remake. They didn't just update the art, they added all these little details, and they're clearly aiming to be more novel-accurate. And yes, the opening sequence implies they're going to go through all the novels.
I saw a lot of people worried about the studio when it was first announced, but that's usually more of an issue with the material they're given lol. I thought it was also nice to see a nod to the original adaptation with the Chloe cameo.

Feels like they spent half the budget on animating Holo's ears and tail. A worthwhile investment if you ask me 🤣

First episode was really good, I expected to be kinda weirded out by the new artstyle and Holo's younger appearance but that all didn't really matter, I loved every second of it. Also new opening and ending are good!
The original had some of my favorite OPs/EDs, so this was also a pleasant surprise!

Back
Top Bottom