• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Anime |ST| Is Captain Falcon more anime than Fire Emblem?

Finished Bravern! Honestly thought it was a blast and a great ride. Find the rushed complaints funny. Nah they were just playing with classic super tropes while staying inside the framework of a modern real mech single cour. Well that and leaving stuff loose for crossover or spinoff stuff. Oh and Lulu is the best. She's gonna be hilarious in a full SRW game. Well that and the CIA water boarding guy, can't wait to see him trying it on some SRW staples like Jin, Koji, or Domon

I saw Spy X Family Code White today! It was a good time! A bit of slow start, but once it got going and everything started coming together I really enjoyed it. Very surprised how dedicated / elaborate that one Anya joke sequence was and I loved some of the smaller jokes too like Loid’s “I piloted these part time back in the day” joke and the post credits sequence.

Delicious in Dungeon is a delight. I knew I'd like it, but I wasn't expecting to like it this much, lol. Convinced my mom to watch it with me too and she loves it.

Gonna read more of the manga soon... but I'm guessing that's a story for another thread.

Been watching the original 80s Kinnikuman anime. It’s very fun and charming. It’s too bad it’ll probably never get an official localization due to… well, less-than-flattering racist stereotypes and a certain German wrestler, but a fansub group is still working on it, at least.

Been watching the original 80s Kinnikuman anime. It’s very fun and charming. It’s too bad it’ll probably never get an official localization due to… well, less-than-flattering racist stereotypes and a certain German wrestler, but a fansub group is still working on it, at least.
Just know it has a ton of filler(including the final 2 seasons being filler, and the final arc being a separate anime made 5 years later). Oh and the main racist side character was a one off in the manga who never appears again. However Brocken jr is fixed both in the final arc of the manga/the scramble for the throne anime design wise(he was never an issue characterization wise outside a single card) and he’s used that corrected design since. The creators were a pair of teens straight out of high school in the 70’s and literally didn’t know this stuff was an issue till the anime started(and we’re willing to make changes but Toei wasn’t). So I blame the editor(and the fan Mail, the Brock’s were a Mail in design and intended as one offs XD).

Scramble for the throne could get picked up. And the continuation doesn’t have these issues(tho both animes have changed elements that may be confusing since the new one is manga loyal)

Just know it has a ton of filler(including the final 2 seasons being filler, and the final arc being a separate anime made 5 years later). Oh and the main racist side character was a one off in the manga who never appears again. However Brocken jr is fixed both in the final arc of the manga/the scramble for the throne anime design wise(he was never an issue characterization wise outside a single card) and he’s used that corrected design since. The creators were a pair of teens straight out of high school in the 70’s and literally didn’t know this stuff was an issue till the anime started(and we’re willing to make changes but Toei wasn’t). So I blame the editor(and the fan Mail, the Brock’s were a Mail in design and intended as one offs XD).

Scramble for the throne could get picked up. And the continuation doesn’t have these issues(tho both animes have changed elements that may be confusing since the new one is manga loyal)
Only the first 80 or so episodes have been subbed so far so I don’t think that includes those final seasons.

I saw Spy X Family Code White today! It was a good time! A bit of slow start, but once it got going and everything started coming together I really enjoyed it. Very surprised how dedicated / elaborate that one Anya joke sequence was and I loved some of the smaller jokes too like Loid’s “I piloted these part time back in the day” joke and the post credits sequence.
Just saw it too! Had a great time, reminded me a lot of the Detective Conan (Case Closed) movies, in which they don't worry much about the story and just have fun with a movie budget and some crazy set pieces :D

Also yeah, that Anya sequence was something else xD

Today's Dungeon Meshi episode was excellent. Really tense, both the action scene and Laios talking to the other characters.

I recognize some parts of myself in how Laios behaves, makes me wonder if his character is meant to be on the spectrum. I know that's not an unique read on the character judging from some googling I did but this episode especially drives it home for me.

I recognize some parts of myself in how Laios behaves, makes me wonder if his character is meant to be on the spectrum
Kui-sensei has never explicitly confirmed Laios is on the spectrum, but I'd like to believe that he is meant to be autistic. After all, she has written about autistic characters before (check out her previous work, Terrarium in a Drawer, if you're curious).

First I would like to share this, it's important:

Then, I am going to use this thread to promote Scissor Seven, because I practically hear no one talking about it. We got the trailer for season 5, and it's delightful as ever:

I didn't even realise half of the shows he mentioned were on D+... and I follow that service pretty closely since they got the Doctor Who rights :LOL:

I had been slowly watching Uma Musume Season 3 for a long while and just finished it tonight. Definitely not as strong as Season 2, but I ultimately really enjoyed it. For a while it felt like they didn’t quite find the proper drama and I think it was a little too focused on the main two characters, but once where it was heading with Kitasan came into focus it ended strong. It didn’t have anything as intensely ridiculous (or dramatic) as season 2, but the base humor was often sharp throughout. They really nailed some of the recurring jokes (the stuff they did with the two nerdy commentator guys was excellent particularly when they made friends with another duo lol) and had some other good one off fun like the episode where Dia trained against bad luck by conquering all of it head on. Also pretty good, I think every episode had a race? I don’t remember the other seasons doing that. So yeah, good time overall.

I didn't even realise half of the shows he mentioned were on D+... and I follow that service pretty closely since they got the Doctor Who rights :LOL:

You know if they were actually on d + ins the states I could actually watch them at least, I’m not subbing to Hulu again

Megaton Musashi 1
Was curious to see how it approached things, and it’s interesting to see what got cut and what got fleshed out for animation(both are fine). Overall what I can say is the game’s presentation isn’t slacking but the anime is solid too.

I saw the trailer for this and then forgot to check it out. How is it so far? 😅
If you like those romances where the leads are prone to bickering each other and ratcheting up the romantic tension to levels of "just kiss already" then it's the show for you!

Lots of girls' love, or GL-coded stuff this season, actually.

I really lost hope after what Netflix did to part 6
It's criminal how part 6 launched with zero fanfare.

I pray to Allah this is true steel ball run is my favor piece a of media ever
I really lost hope after what Netflix did to part 6

I'm a bit worried about future JoJo adaptations now because one of DP's main directors that was with them since part 1 recently left the company to become a freelancer. But I'd love to see SBR adapted too.

I read SBR a decade ago, kind of wild to think it might actually get an anime at this point (reservations about David Pro/Netflix aside).

Today's Dungeon Meshi episode was excellent. Really tense, both the action scene and Laios talking to the other characters.

I recognize some parts of myself in how Laios behaves, makes me wonder if his character is meant to be on the spectrum. I know that's not an unique read on the character judging from some googling I did but this episode especially drives it home for me.
Great episode. I wish they had more to spend on the animation.

Does anyone else detect a bit of a Western influence on some of the character designs?

15 episodes into Kinnikuman, I am kind of shocked at how much I'm loving this. You think of this as a Shonen Jump series that's 45 years old at this point and figure it doesn't have anything it can surprise you with, but it's just effortlessly entertaining. It looks like another sub group has picked up the anime and is working up through Scramble To The Throne, so I'll definitely watched everything subbed I can. I can see myself getting into this big time between the various anime versions and the manga.

It is undeniably racist though, lol. Very much a product of a 1970s shonen manga, for better or worse.

There was a post credit scene? I left straight away to take a dump when the movie finished.

15 episodes into Kinnikuman, I am kind of shocked at how much I'm loving this. You think of this as a Shonen Jump series that's 45 years old at this point and figure it doesn't have anything it can surprise you with, but it's just effortlessly entertaining. It looks like another sub group has picked up the anime and is working up through Scramble To The Throne, so I'll definitely watched everything subbed I can. I can see myself getting into this big time between the various anime versions and the manga.

It is undeniably racist though, lol. Very much a product of a 1970s shonen manga, for better or worse.
2 dumb teenagers straight out of school with a bunch of the wrestlers being Mail in fan designs and an editor who didn’t reign it in. Tho they were open to fixing the more egregious ones for the anime but Toei said no(in fact they upgraded one of the most egregious from one off to regular). Most of it gets cleaned up in scramble for the throne and all of it’s gone for Nisei and the continuation barring one or two design that had gone too iconic and accepted to change(namely Ramenman who became super popular in China funny enough)

Now you got me wanting to check out the fansubs

But yeah as someone who read the manga a couple years back of the OG run, it’s a hell of a ride and a great time. Funny to think it was contemporary to fist of the North Star. There’s a reason it’s an institution in Japan that’s never gone off air or out of print

Last edited:
You know if they were actually on d + ins the states I could actually watch them at least, I’m not subbing to Hulu again
I saw SandLand when it dropped and there was not a mention that episodes were airing weekly anywhere, nor did it show up in my keep watching/on any of the categories on the home page - and now I guess the finale is this week somehow without me hearing a thing, not seeing much for Go Go Loser Ranger either - I mean I'm glad these shows are being shown I guess, but still...

I didn't even realize the SandLand anime is airing already lmao all of this streaming service bullshit is tiresome. Really want to watch that tho and add me to the people waiting for SBR anime since (almost) ten years ago

Does anyone else detect a bit of a Western influence on some of the character designs?
Dungeon Meshi was heavily influenced by the CRPG Wizardry, so that's probably what you're catching a whiff of.

I saw SandLand when it dropped and there was not a mention that episodes were airing weekly anywhere, nor did it show up in my keep watching/on any of the categories on the home page
Yeah, the information dissemination about Sand Land has been weird. Like they don't bother telling people, oh hey there's a new episode this week.

Another killer episode of ”Angel Included”. It’s clear that Noel is overjoyed to have a friend and Tsutsumi is crushing hard on the MC.

Dungeon Meshi was heavily influenced by the CRPG Wizardry, so that's probably what you're catching a whiff of.

Yeah, the information dissemination about Sand Land has been weird. Like they don't bother telling people, oh hey there's a new episode this week.
also all the episodes of the first "batch" dropped at once... then all of a sudden they're airing weekly? Literally i saw "Sand Land - final episode coming May" and was in shock to see an entire season had dropped in the meantime!

also all the episodes of the first "batch" dropped at once... then all of a sudden they're airing weekly? Literally i saw "Sand Land - final episode coming May" and was in shock to see an entire season had dropped in the meantime!
I think they dropped the first batch at once because it was a retelling of the movie that also dropped earlier without much fanfare?

@Mekanos great you got me to poke around for the fan subs too XD
Kinnikuman 1

Checked out the fansub of Kinnikuman for the heck of it. Hah the anime opening with the Gyudon society was a hilarious pick, and the added gags were pretty good. Oh man, I forgot Suguru’s shack was originally tacked onto the back of a public bathroom. Forgot how brutal early Terryman was, just took that Kaiju’s head off with his revolver, then requested money. Thankfully Suguru ironically pointed out a true hero isn’t in it for the money XD

Thoroughly enjoying the new Spice and Wolf so far. I sometimes wish they had a bit higher production vallues (probably a bit spoiled by Frieren) but overall it's "good enough" and I'm just eating up that dynamic between Holo and Lawrence that I don't even notice some of the background looking a bit dire :LOL:

Also, to my surprise, Kaiju No. 8 hasn't really clicked with me so far, I'm absolute shounen trash and this should be right up my alley but I'm a bit frustrated by the pacing so far and find the jokes about the MC being an absolute looser a bit overplayed.

Train to the end of the world/Shuumatsu train doko e iku is so far my "hidden gem" of the season. It's a mix between "cute girls doing cute stuff" and mystery of the week. After a highschooler unleashes the technology of 7G networking on the world by accident, everything just goes bonkers and reality itself gets warped, people turn into animals, grow mushrooms on their heads or shrink to pikmin size. And in all this, a group of friends are boarding a train towards Ikebukuro in search for their friend.
Also has a fantastic opening.

Last edited:
Thoroughly enjoying the new Spice and Wolf so far. I sometimes wish they had a bit higher production vallues (probably a bit spoiled by Frieren) but overall it's "good enough" and I'm just eating up that dynamic between Holo and Lawrence that I don't even notice some of the background looking a bit dire :LOL:

Also, to my surprise, Kaiju No. 8 hasn't really clicked with me so far, I'm absolute shounen trash and this should be right up my alley but I'm a bit frustrated by the pacing so far and find the jokes about the MC being an absolute looser a bit overplayed.

Train to the end of the world/Shuumatsu train doko e iku is so far my "hidden gem" of the season. It's a mix between "cute girls doing cute stuff" and mystery of the week. After a highschooler unleashes the technology of 7G networking on the world by accident, everything just goes bonkers and reality itself gets warped, people turn into animals, grow mushrooms on their heads or shrink to pikmin size. And in all this, a group of friends are boarding a train towards Ikebukuro in search for their friend.
Also has a fantastic opening.

Don’t worry Kaiju 8 derails into mid territory quick by missing the memo of what made the start unique and kinda interesting and reverting solely into normal tropes

Don’t worry Kaiju 8 derails into mid territory quick by missing the memo of what made the start unique and kinda interesting and reverting solely into normal tropes
Damn you really laid into Kaiju #8

(But you're right)

Thoroughly enjoying the new Spice and Wolf so far
Have you watched the original anime?

Train to the End of the World is amazing so far. Just a melting pot of zany ideas.

Well one thing's for sure, Holo is a lot more animated now, she does a lot of quirky movements now, especially with her ears and tail! Set design is also a setup in my book
I really adore how animated Holo is, all the ear and tail-waggling make her so much more adorable.

At first I wasn't sure about her new design compared to the original but it's won me over very fast!

I really adore how animated Holo is, all the ear and tail-waggling make her so much more adorable.

At first I wasn't sure about her new design compared to the original but it's won me over very fast!
Oh and I have to give credit to the VAs, they've had more than a decade to hone their craft and it shows

I started watching the 2024 Spice and Wolf myself and, as a big fan of the original's dub, I'm overjoyed to hear that the VAs reprised their roles. Such a cozy and intriguing series. It reminds me that I have the first 9 volumes of both the manga and LN on my shelf that I should get around to reading more explicitly.

Tiger mask W 20
Can't believe they managed to make me sympathetic for Odin XD… then again this episode also had the termin…. I mean Blackout XD. Good way to establish Tiger the great 3's strength tho

Salad Bowl 5
Livia gets reset… into scalping?! Will this poor girl ever learn. The karaoke was hilarious tho

Kinnikuman 1-6
The first arc, silly daily adventures of the loser who didn't know he was a prince. His dad is really the worst tho… then again Suguru's not some shining paragon either. Tho these early episodes make something evident that make later staff picks bizarre… neither of the girls introduced to the supporting cast have a thing for him at all, one is hooked on his rival Terryman and the other his sidekick coach Meat. Which makes the later decision to have them replace his canon girlfriend with one of them all the weirder.
Kinnikuman 7
Arc 2, the Chojin Olympics begin with a cast that makes G-Gundam look reserved and respectable. It is definitely something from the beginning of the 80's. Well and the fact most of them are mailed in fan designs from kids, I blame the editor. And of course it doesn't start with a fight, but testing a different skill… with rock paper scissors?! And Suguru got challenged by a guy with pinchers XD.

Definitely seeing why this run is still highly enjoyed in Japan, most of the filler is extra gags and there's some decent ones. Tho if they haven't read the manga there's gonna be some very confused watchers on the new show XD. Tho even excluding all the dates gags, depictions and other issues, a huge reason the pre scramble for the throne anime would never get picked up is all the blatant references, digs and cameos by some rather big characters(my count so far: Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Getter Robo, The Hulk, and a couple others. They did change Superman tho). Unless it fell under fair use the licensing would be a nightmare.
Note: I’d probably recommend the manga version. At least it cleans up towards the end and I can already tell the anime is gonna have the questionable ones they find fun hang out long beyond where they left in the manga.

Back
Top Bottom