• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Anime |ST| Is Captain Falcon more anime than Fire Emblem?

This technically is for a game, but this seems like the best thread for it.

What?? I was looking forward to giving it a try in February, but what’s the point.

Found the official twitter post.

Last edited:
That's a really fast turnaround from announcement to shutdown. Maybe the game wasn't super popular with the japanese audience and they just wanted to make a quick buck with the international audience before shutting down? 👀

Metallic Rouge 3

Well this seems to be escalating quickly. Guess next episode is gonna be a big action set piece.

So I've watched a bunch of stuff this season up through episode 3 now. Not sure the season is going to be quite as good as it looked heading in, but definitely some good stuff. Good news is that everything is pretty much at least watchable, and so far at least I don't really plan on dropping anything. And there are definitely a number of good ones.

Best thing to start the season has definitely been The Dangers in My Heart s2. Really just a very good continuation of a very good show. I think what puts this ahead of so many other school romance stories to me is that it not only has nailed the relationship buildup between the two leads, but that relationship is also fueling growth of the characters themselves. Watching Ichikawa develop as a person so far has been just as good as watching the relationship between Ichikawa and Anna develop (of course the development of both is so intertwined at this point anyway).

Some other fun ones too. I think Dungeon Meshi sorta suffered for me at the start due to the obscene amounts of hype, with the first 2 episodes feeling a bit flat imo, but episode 3 was on another level and now I'm buying in a lot more. I don't think the food gimmick alone is enough to carry (which I think is the weakness of those first two episodes), but with more actual dungeon-crawling and character moments from more recently this one has a lot of room to grow.

The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic has also been a delight. Seems to be a quality adaptation of a fun manga. I mentioned it before, but it's funny to me how far a lack of edge goes. Feels like I've just been trained to assume every background character in a series like this is a complete piece of shit. But no, we can just focus on Usato going crazy getting ripped by abusing healing magic.

A Sign of Affection has also been pretty good, but up to this point I think I actually like the moments when the two leads aren't talking to each other more than the moments when they are, which isn't a great sign for a romance series. Almost wish this was a story about Yuki and her relationship with Itsuomi was just one part of that story.

I think 7th Time Loop has been pretty good up to this point, but this one really is a wait and see type of series I think. Rishe steals the show, but her relationship with Arnold is not very convincing up to this point (though the dance scene was nice). Thankfully there's plenty of good Rishe moments with and without Arnold that I think this will be a good one off the power of Riche alone. Mostly just curious where it's going to go in the future. Is she actually going to just fuck off and do whatever she wants like the title of the series seems to imply, or is her sheer force of competence going to make her too important? Idk.

The series that feels like it's come with absolutely no fanfare is Sengoku Youko. I do think this one has been a bit slow so far, but every episode has really been a marked improvement on the last. With 37 episodes and a supposedly slow start I don't think we'll really know how good this one is for a while yet, but really I'm enjoying it now after what I thought was a completely forgettable first episode. Really just knowing it seems to be a pretty good adaptation of a Mizukami manga is enough for me to keep up with it. Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is a favorite of mine and it's a shame how horrendous that adaptation was (supposedly - I never actually watched it thankfully).

The rest of what I'm watching has been mostly mixed opinions. I think Sasaki and Peeps made the unfortunate decision to include one too many story threads. Really could've done without the non-isekai superpower company, but even removing the isekai stuff and just focusing on the superpower company with Peeps being a less explained entity also could've probably worked. Just not sure if this is ever going to be able to adequately balance it all. Chained Soldier I think has potential to be a pretty dumb fun action/ecchi/harem/whatever series with its kinks front and center, and the first two episodes were fun enough, but man the introduction of the sister stuff in the third episode was just super clumsy lol. I even checked out the manga out of curiosity and it seems pretty clumsy there too. Her coming out guns blazing with the "do you know my brother??" stuff was like the author throwing his hands up in the air and giving up on introducing that in any type of natural way. That said, the manga actually seems pretty well received so I'm hoping it's an awkward road block and not a sign of the quality of its storytelling going forward. I think the last new thing I'm watching is Tales of Wedding Rings which is almost surprisingly competent? Watched the first episode with that new season "gotta try everything" mood and I liked the first episode well enough. Main character is a normal goof in over his head and the series sells it pretty well, and I like the relationship between the two leads. Mostly just unsure about it being a harem story. At least elf girl is pretty fun. For this series my hope is that the next part of the story after the thing with the elves is resolved will give us some insight into what the demons/monsters are and contextualize the conflict a bit better. Almost feels like the viewer is a fish out of water as much as the main character right now.

Didn't really expect to type this much. Will probably not give thoughts on everything at the same time from now on lol. Forgot to mention Classroom of the Elite and Tsukimichi but at this point I feel like they're the kinds of shows you either know you like it or not at this point. They're both fine.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is a favorite of mine and it's a shame how horrendous that adaptation was (supposedly - I never actually watched it thankfully).
You made the right choice. I watched the Biscuit Hammer anime and all I could think about was how much it was not doing the source material justice.

I still need to watch the Sengoku Youko anime, but a trusted friend assures me it's receiving better treatment.

Actually I still need to catch up on a lot of anime. Only ones I think I'm up to date with are Dungeon Meshi and Undead Unluck, which are both great adaptations of great manga.

Once work gets less busy, I'll go catch up with the... uhhh... 40 or so shows I have on my plate.

Frieren continues to be excellent. As does Apothecary Diaries. Watched the first 3 episodes of Delicious in Dungeon and it's decent so far. I'll be curious if the gimmick can be the show entertaining in the long run. Metallic Rouge, I'm intrigued but I have no clue what's going on. It seems like we'll have to wait to the end for everything to all come together and make sense which can either payoff well or be a complete disaster. I'm liking Solo Leveling so far. My biggest gripe is that it's suffering from dumb protagonist syndrome to drive the plot forward. Shangri-La Frontier is still light-hearted fun.

Overall, this season has been ok so far that's largely being held up with continuing shows from last season. But without Spy X Family, Ancient Magus Bridge, or Jujitsu Kaisen in the lineup, it feels like this season isn't going to live up to last season. Might be a good time to resub to HiDive and catch up on shows I missed on there in the past year.

Frieren continues to be excellent
Just caught up to the Frieren again, and looks like we're in the First Class Mage Exam arc, which I rather liked in the manga.

Metallic Rouge, I'm intrigued but I have no clue what's going on
I had the opposite impression, in that everything seems so obvious? Boilerplate cyberpunk with racism against robots.

Anyway, back to carving through the backlog.

Just caught up to the Frieren again, and looks like we're in the First Class Mage Exam arc, which I rather liked in the manga.

I had the opposite impression, in that everything seems so obvious? Boilerplate cyberpunk with racism against robots.

Anyway, back to carving through the backlog.

I think it's the finer details that are missing. What's the organization that Rouge works for? What are their goals? Why are they hunting down these other robots? Aliens? It feels like we're jumping in right in the middle of the plot. Yeah, we might have a general idea of how the story will go because we've watched other similar media. But in terms of establishing the world and characters on its own terms, I think there's a lot of details that still need to be filled in.

Yeah, we might have a general idea of how the story will go because we've watched other similar media. But in terms of establishing the world and characters on its own terms, I think there's a lot of details that still need to be filled in.
I can agree that we need to get some more worldbuilding in

Love when an anime episode provides a good laugh, like this moment...
misstoba.png

Camp advisor of the year!

Brave Bang Bravern 3

I'm glad they were able to get a pointer big enough for Bravern to use. Bravern being interrupted mid-speech as he transformed by water flooding into his mouth was hilarious, and him having enough knowledge of Earth pop culture to know about The Abyss has me all the more curious about what his deal is.

Brave Bang Bravern 3
Just watched this too. I really wasn't expecting much from this anime, but it's been delightfully absurd. Bravern themselves is just a huggable dork of a giant mecha.

For junk food isekai, The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic has been surprisingly decent. I'm mostly glad it hasn't delved into idiocy like having the MC be discriminated against, or having his healing ability be considered crappy but secretly turn out to be overpowered.

On the romance side of things, I needed to drink a gallon of water after the overpowering sweetness of The Dangers In My Heart and A Sign of Affection.

I’m caught up now on the Spy X Family manga, really am enjoying it. Started watching the anime as well, which is also good (the main family I think are well dubbed, though Desmond’s voice bothers me a bit).

Will probably shift back to reading One Piece now, I was midway through Chopper’s debut arc before I took a break. Also have heard good things about Assassination Classroom.

I’m caught up now on the Spy X Family manga, really am enjoying it. Started watching the anime as well, which is also good (the main family I think are well dubbed, though Desmond’s voice bothers me a bit).

Will probably shift back to reading One Piece now, I was midway through Chopper’s debut arc before I took a break. Also have heard good things about Assassination Classroom.
Assassination Classroom was fantastic, both Manga and Anime. Though the manga was better 😅 Highly recommended!
Bravern being interrupted mid-speech as he transformed by water flooding into his mouth was hilarious, and him having enough knowledge of Earth pop culture to know about The Abyss has me all the more curious about what his deal is.
My favourite part about that line was the bait and switch with the audience probably going "Oh, just like in EVA!" only for him to reference that one James Cameron Sci-Fi movie xD Also I would bet good money on Bravern somehow getting in contact with earth's pop culture and bein inspired to rebell against his own kind (being the invadind force)

Finished season one of Laid Back Camp last night. Once more I have to gush about how wholesome it is and how it makes me want to just pitch a tent in front of a mountain and just chill.

Can't say I'm super interested in the "action" arcs in Frieren, worst stretch of the show so far.

Last edited:
Can't say I'm super interested in the "action" arcs in Frieren, worst stretch of the the show so far.
I would estimate Frieren is 70% slow-paced melancholic slice of life and 30% action, if I'm remembering things correctly. So yeah, there's going to be stretches like this current exam arc. I personally think it's good, it changes up things.

Once more I have to gush about how wholesome it is and how it makes me want to just pitch a tent in front of a mountain and just chill
Honestly I could use a break so I can go camping lol

The otome isekai about the main girl being on her 7th time loop has been surprisingly good, mainly because Rishe is just doing whatever the hell she wants. Which simultaneously amuses and annoys her fiancee, the crown prince, and the resulting romantic tension is glorious.

Metallic Rouge is like one of those classic 90s sci fi anime but with production values jacked up to eleven. Goddamn, easily the best-looking anime of the season.

Also been enjoying the hell out of the Wethermon arc in Shangri-la Frontier. Definitely worth a watch for anyone who’s had to contend with unfairly difficult bosses.

Honestly a little terrified to post in here because I know virtually nothing about anime. I subbed to Crunchyroll primarily because my kid is getting way into Pokémon, and was wondering what y'all would recommend to a total anime newbie. I've seen...Cowboy Bebop and maybe 10 episodes of Polar Bear Café. I enjoyed them both! I also love ass-kickin robits.

Honestly a little terrified to post in here because I know virtually nothing about anime. I subbed to Crunchyroll primarily because my kid is getting way into Pokémon, and was wondering what y'all would recommend to a total anime newbie. I've seen...Cowboy Bebop and maybe 10 episodes of Polar Bear Café. I enjoyed them both! I also love ass-kickin robits.
I am new to anime as well and I have been following this thread for anime to watch. Here's what I enjoyed and recommend:

Bocchi the Rock

Fruits Basket(2019 version)

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End

Madoka Magica

The Apothecary Diaries

I am new to anime as well and I have been following this thread for anime to watch. Here's what I enjoyed and recommend:

Bocchi the Rock

Fruits Basket(2019 version)

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End

Madoka Magica

The Apothecary Diaries
Thank you for the recommendations! And it's a relief to see someone else getting into it.

How does everyone feel about Dragonball Z? Literally all I know about it is that people have levels like a JRPG and there's someone called Mr. Satan. To be clear: these are both pretty compelling reasons to me

Thank you for the recommendations! And it's a relief to see someone else getting into it.

How does everyone feel about Dragonball Z? Literally all I know about it is that people have levels like a JRPG and there's someone called Mr. Satan. To be clear: these are both pretty compelling reasons to me
Dragon Ball and DBZ together are a very long series (444 episodes). It's my favorite series of all time, but it's obviously a big commitment (and you'd be serviced best by starting with DB instead of Z). If you have zero experience with shonen anime it's difficult to gauge if you would like it or not, but if you were to ask me, it's a classic for a reason. The Japanese version is also more cohesive because the DB/Z dub was made across different eras so the quality varies wildly, and as someone who grew up on the dub I don't think most of it holds up well, but ultimately it's up to you if you want to pursue it.

If you're looking for something accessible and shorter on Crunchyroll, Mob Psycho 100 is a good pick. It has a little bit of everything, comedy, drama, action, and it's only about 39 episodes. Ultimately it really just depends what genres you're interested in, though CR's library can be limiting in some regards.

Also saw your post earlier that you like robots/mecha. Gurren Lagann was for many of us a gateway to mecha anime in general and also a personal favorite.

Dragon Ball and DBZ together are a very long series (444 episodes). It's my favorite series of all time, but it's obviously a big commitment (and you'd be serviced best by starting with DB instead of Z). If you have zero experience with shonen anime it's difficult to gauge if you would like it or not, but if you were to ask me, it's a classic for a reason.

If you're looking for something accessible and shorter on Crunchyroll, Mob Psycho 100 is a good pick. It has a little bit of everything, comedy, drama, action, and it's only about 39 episodes. Ultimately it really just depends what genres you're interested in, though CR's library can be limiting in some regards.

I see the wisdom in not starting with a 444 episode-long series lol. I appreciate the input! Out of curiousity, where else should I be looking for anime? Crunchyroll is the only service I really know 😬

Is there anything you'd recommend along the lines of Polar Bear Café? I plan to keep watching that one now that I'm subbed. I love the laid-back, low-stakes nature of it!

I see the wisdom in not starting with a 444 episode-long series lol. I appreciate the input! Out of curiousity, where else should I be looking for anime? Crunchyroll is the only service I really know 😬

Is there anything you'd recommend along the lines of Polar Bear Café? I plan to keep watching that one now that I'm subbed. I love the laid-back, low-stakes nature of it!
I think it will depend on region. Netflix has some anime on there, but often a lot of series are only available on DVD or uh, other means if you catch my drift. Still, I'd say CR has a decent variety if you're just starting out.

I haven't seen Polar Bear Cafe but glancing at the Wikipedia for it, if you want a slice of life series, I don't think you can go wrong with Bocchi The Rock.

For some cool stuff:
Muteking: the Dancing Hero(really fun one about self expression)
Mazinger the impact(reimagining of the original Super Robot. Does end on a cliff hanger this)
Gundam the witch from Mercury, Mobile Suit Gundam(your choice of the newest or the original, both are solid, original has a surprisingly good dub tho the direct sequel Zeta Gundam is when things really kick off)
Cromartie High(absurdist comedy about an average guy who accidentally transfers into a school of insane but golden hearted delinquents. Oh and one of them is somehow the reincarnation of Freddie Mercury)
Campfire cooking with my absurd cheat skill
Magic Knight Rayearth(mecha+portal story+ magical girls. Second half has one of my all time fave anime ptsd arcs)
I need to double check what other mecha stuff they have right now(some of my faves aren’t on there right now)

I have plenty more recommendations I’d give but that’s just some off the top of my head. Oh and on the DB front, Kai is the better way to watch Z(all the filler is cut, dub is redone) but it’s not on crunchy

Also Gurren Lagan is as overrated as Evangelion. It’s not bad. But not at all where I’d recommend starting(plus it stole over half its moves from Getter Robo 2)

The characters in Rent-A-Girlfriend are supposed to be unlikable, yes? Because two episodes in and I'm like, boy howdy, there's no winners here.

I’ll recommend a few shows for getting into anime that I know are on Crunchyroll. Tried to go with shorter stuff and went for variety:

Bocchi The Rock - Girl joins a band, but is super shy / awkward. Really fun and funny.

Mob Psycho 100 - Psychic kid has overwhelming power, but is more interested in living a normal life. Wild animation, cool fights down the road, great story.

Nichijou - My Ordinary Life - Hard to describe this one as it depicts random slice of life moments that are a touch absurd. The animation is incredible and so heart felt.

March Comes In Like A Lion - This is a story about a young high schooler living on his own as a professional shogi player as he battles depression. It can be a tough watch at times, but there’s so much heart there too. Give it a bit to get going, it’s incredible.

Gundam The Witch From Mercury - If you like giant robots give this one a go. It’s a little more character driven and it is a tad on the shorter side, but it gets wild.

Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online (the one with the girl wearing all pink on the poster, not normal Sword Art Online lol) - If you want some wild action with guns in an MMORPG setting, this is a great, short time. Lot of crowd pleasing moments here and the main character and villain are both a lot of fun.

Also want to recommend Hajime No Ippo for a sports show (boxing), though it’s a bit on the longer side at like 75 episodes for season 1. I was hooked very early on and for sure hooked by episode 3. Love the main character and the boxing action is awesome with punches that have real weight behind them.

This post is already running long, so I’ll basically end it here, but my top three shows are Madoka Magica, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Symphogear. Maybe get a few anime under your belt first before jumping to Madoka and Symphogear. Yu Yu Hakusho is awesome and was the anime I loved most growing up, but it is on the longer end with a little over 100 episodes. Obviously highly recommend all three in general if you did want to dive in.

The characters in Rent-A-Girlfriend are supposed to be unlikable, yes? Because two episodes in and I'm like, boy howdy, there's no winners here.
I'm gonna level with you, Rent-A-Girlfriend is not worth it. It's a dang ol' mess with unrelatable blockheads.

Also: supporting all the recommendations for Bocchi The Rock! As far as I'm concerned it's a modern masterpiece.

@big lantern ghost If you want something kinda low-stakes, Frieren: Journey's End is currently airing and is really freaking good.

Nichijou - My Ordinary Life
Oh my god someone else who watched Nichijou

Honestly there's enough stuff on Crunchyroll that it'd last you ages. The only other places I watch any anime on are Hidive and Netflix. Hidive has some really good stuff you can't find elsewhere, though the selection is overall much smaller than Crunchyroll. Has some great stuff like Penguindrum, Kino's Journey, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Lupin III, and more.

Here are some of my favorites that I'd feel pretty confident recommending. I went with stuff mostly on the slower side, though not all low stakes and not all feel good.

March Comes in Like a Lion - Sometimes a nice chill slice of life story with good character growth and intense shogi matches
Usagi Drop - Good chill slice of life story (just don't read the manga lol)
Mononoke - Pretty intense supernatural story with an unsettling/horror-ish feel
Nichijou - Hilarious gag comedy
Natsume Yujin-cho - Emotional supernatural slice of life story
Spice and Wolf - Romance, adventure, and economics
Hinamatsuri - Supernatural comedy silliness
Kino's Journey (2003) - Episodic adventure series that's like Anthropology 101 in the best way possible
Mushi-shi - Very chill episodic supernatural series with some intense moments
Haibane Renmei - Another emotional story
Honey and Clover - Romance and coming of age story centered on college kids, same creator as March Comes in Like a Lion

I think these are mostly all available on Crunchyroll, except Kino's Journey (on Hidive) and Haibane Renmei (idk where you can watch this anymore). I tried to use the names that will actually get results on Crunchyroll.

It's nice to see that I'm not alone in being somewhat new to anime; sure I watched Evangelion and FLCL growing up, but I always preferred manga. So now I'm playing catch up with shows I missed and more recent stuff, thankfully I can stream all this on my phone and tablet these days.
If you know, you know. Talk about clutching defeat from the jaws of victory lol
Seriously, they fumbled that second half so badly.

Denken "I don't need MP when I have my fists". He just went:

QBEj7Fn.gif
The anime made that scene so much better what with his dramatic cape removal lol.

Though as good as Frieren is, I have to say that I'm still more into two other shows continuing from last season, Apothecary Diaries and Undead Unluck. The latter especially as the story is stomping pedals to the metal.

Undead Unluck is just so damn fantastic. It just keeps on escalating to new dimensions every other week and I'm still stunned by it week after week. Love the power system, the setting (even though I'm usually not super into modern day stuff but Urban Fantasy rules!) and the main characters' chemistry with each other but also the rest of the cast. And it breaks my heart that it's super slept on, at least judging from my bubble.

And it breaks my heart that it's super slept on, at least judging from my bubble
Seems like the anime being stuck on Hulu didn't do it any favors. Then we have to admit that the first few episodes are kinda rough.

But yeah, the story has finally gotten to (MAJOR SPOILERS) the reveal that Billy is the boss of Under, and it's at this point where I would say Undead Unluck goes from good to, ahem, Unbelievable. It's not going to let up. I'm stoked.

Brave Bang Bravern 4

"I'd love to stay up all night and chat with you about special attacks." Have more romantic words ever been spoken? A lot of funny scenes in this one, especially the failed waterboarding.

Started watching the back half of Dr Stone Season 3 with the first two episodes. Super exciting start right off the bat! This show is at its best when the extended cast all comes together and yeah these first two episodes leaned on them well. Definitely going to make it a priority to finally watch this the next few days.

Also while I’m here, I’ve been playing Love Live School Idol Festival 2 daily since it launched. It’s mostly just a rhythm game with an incredibly small amount of story along with it. If you are a Love Live fan and want to play a music game with over 600 Love Live songs, it’s definitely worth dabbling in while it exists for four months.

So I resubbed to HiDive since this new season is pretty light. I'll probably only keep the sub for a month or two. My last sub ran out at the end of 2022. So if you got any recommendations for anything that came out in 2023, I'd appreciate it.
Reincarnated as a sword? Urusei Yatsura ? Farming life in another world? that’s what comes to mind

So I resubbed to HiDive since this new season is pretty light. I'll probably only keep the sub for a month or two. My last sub ran out at the end of 2022. So if you got any recommendations for anything that came out in 2023, I'd appreciate it.
The Dangers in My Heart is really good, but you kind of have to gut out the main character being an edgy dweeb in the first few episodes. Sorta the point early on though the main character growing up is one of the best parts about it.

Oshi no Ko was good too.

So if you got any recommendations for anything that came out in 2023, I'd appreciate it.
Oshi no Ko is a rollercoaster ride through idol and general entertainment culture, among other things. The feature-length pilot is a fantastic hook, I highly recommend watching it.

Insomniacs After School and The Dangers In My Heart are both adorable romances. Eminence in Shadow is a hilarious parody of edgy isekai. Helck starts as a goofy comedy about an overpowered bunch of muscles, that slowly reveals a more dramatic and insidious plot.

Back
Top Bottom