• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Anime |ST| Is Captain Falcon more anime than Fire Emblem?

Warning mecha fans, Bang Brave Bang Bravern (the new Obari show) apparently has a huge episode 1 twist and all the marketing has been updated with it. So good luck. Especially since no one's picked it up in the west yet DX
You just got Baried,
Reals were a fakeout, it's a Super show XD

I hadn't heart about the show before stumbling upon a trailer for Bang Brave Bang Bravern by accident earlier today, looks wonderfully retro!

I hadn't heart about the show before stumbling upon a trailer for Bang Brave Bang Bravern by accident earlier today, looks wonderfully retro!
The OP is amazing… sigh wish crunchy or Hidive would grab it. It’s Cygames so someone will grab it eventually

Who had Obari doing a Yuusha spiritual successor with Cygames on their 2024 checklist XD

Last edited:
where-are-the-subs-subs-where.gif

Getting very close to the end of Dragon Quest Dai finally as I watched four episodes tonight and finished through episode 90. Just 10 episodes to go! Been really enjoying this final stretch as all of the big bads who’d been in the background for so long are finally out there fighting. There’s been some exciting, dramatic returns and rad triumphs for the party’s side too. Hoping to finish this in the next few days, I’m so close!

Girlfriend Girlfriend S1

I still think the cast is all too stupid to live, and the show is annoying horny while being overly chaste which is my least favorite combo. Despite that the occasional good poly romcom moments kept me watching. Shino needed to be introduced way earlier in the story, her realistic take on the problems and collective 10 brain cells (compared to everyone's else shared 1 brain cell) salvaged the last few episodes.

Metallic Rouge 1

Pretty compelling first episode. The sci-fi not Blade Runner world is fun and the action scene at the end was fantastic. The main cast all bounce off each other well, all in on this.

Last edited:
Healing magic 2
Brainwashed? I'm not brainwaaaaa…. Wait. Once again Inukami crushes Usato's idealistic view, this time with muscle envy XD. KO!!! Beat the boss!
Unwanted Undead 2
Rentt got to help someone and escape. Cracks me up that the scholar is just completely chill when he shows up XD. Bad luck with a cursed mask

Bang Brave Bang Bravern had a fantastic first episode. I hope it keeps up the energy.

Loved how the first 15ish minutes pretended to be a real robot show. It really keeps its act up even after the aliens attack and basically whipe the floor with everyone on earth. But then Bravern appears out of nowhere with this line:
vlcsnap-01597.png

And everything just goes full ham, including a diagetic insert song :LOL:

Some shots looked a bit rough but nothing too distracting. If you like the genre at all, give this a look.

Bang Brave Bang Bravern had a fantastic first episode
It's not only that the first episode introduces a sudden tone shift from real-robot to super-robot; what really sells the subversion was the characters being like, "WTF is going on". There was a part when the Bravern's theme song started playing and the pilot was utterly confused about where it was coming from.

So yeah that was a ton of fun.

Metallic Rouge
Heck yeah, I soaked up that atmosphere like a sponge.

It's not only that the first episode introduces a sudden tone shift from real-robot to super-robot; what really sells the subversion was the characters being like, "WTF is going on". There was a part when the Bravern's theme song started playing and the pilot was utterly confused about where it was coming from.
That was lowkey my favourite line of the whole episode 🤣
Heck yeah, I soaked up that atmosphere like a sponge.
Metallic Rouge was really interesting! Not sure where the story will go but it definitely looked cool.

Frieren 15-16

A couple of peak episodes for this amazing show. The dance between Stark and Fern lived up to the hype, and old man Voll brought the feels that this series specializes in.

Hope Metallic Rouge stays good but I have a lot on my plate atm so can’t tune in for now.

The Apothecary Diaries 10-12

Maomao is at her best when she's confronting the villain. I also love her dynamic with Jinshi, him buying her out of her contract at the end of episode 12 was spicy. Curious to see where next our little gremlin's adventure take her.

Frieren Episode 18

f6sR79F.png

Just this face :LOL:
A lot of setup for the arc to come. Will be interesting to see Fern and Frieren having to go up against each other.
Also loved the scene on the cart with Frieren getting called an old woman xD

100 Girlfriends dub is back! Apologizes for potato cam but I love how the dub handled this from episode 10.

IMG_8114.jpg

Thought it'd be a good time to pull these out and give at least one of em a try. Leaning the original Ova over the tv show. Don't think I'm up for the time commitment of the show right now. This being spurred on by me working on the model kit later this week which has been in my backlog forever

So bloody happy now.

While I've binged manga after the first season I can't wait for it. Seeing all that grimy punk stuff with the characters who have Ghibli-ass faces was magic in animation, and the music only added to that. It really did Hayashida's style justice.
Definitely one of the best animes there is, a complete joy.

Oh man, Patlabor was fun. Though I don't think I've ever watched the actual show, only the OVA.
Which one, the one setting up the movie trilogy or the sequel to the tv show(which sadly is only partly dubbed in English. Everything else is fully dubbed)

Which one, the one setting up the movie trilogy or the sequel to the tv show(which sadly is only partly dubbed in English. Everything else is fully dubbed)
I think it was the former. I should probably watch the actual show one day :LOL:

I'm taking my sweet time with Frieren, only reached Ep 3, but the melancholic vibes in this show are sublime. It's also just nice to have a "classic" fantasy anime that isn't an isekai.

I'm taking my sweet time with Frieren, only reached Ep 3, but the melancholic vibes in this show are sublime. It's also just nice to have a "classic" fantasy anime that isn't an isekai.
It's super good. Definitely a show that is better watched slowly (even if that's just an episode a day) than binged. I never knew sadness could feel so happy.

Started watching Kaina of the Great Snow Sea. I was interested when it first came out but didn't end up watching. I can't believe it came out a year ago though and they have had a whole movie since then. I normally don't like CG anime and while the character models don't look the best, they are a bit better than what I usually see and the environments look really great at times. The setting is pretty unique and it feels like something about of a videogame. Like I can imagine this being a world someone like MonolithSoft would make. Only 4 episodes in but intrigued so far.

Last edited:
Delicious in Dungeon 1-2

Just as funny as the manga and the food looks appropriately delicious or disgusting based on its ingredients. The characters look and sound great, too. I'm super excited to keep up with this this season.

the food looks appropriately delicious or disgusting based on its ingredients
I dunno about you but everything looked delicious so far. Even the decapitated mandrake heads!

Started watching Kaina of the Great Snow Sea
Someone else watching Kaina! The writer, Nihei, is known for his sci-fi worlds (you might know him from stuff like BLAME or Biomega) and Kaina has a lot of that DNA.

If I remember correctly, Off Season refers to side stories, which is what this visual seems to pertains to. Monster Season supposedly follows Araragi as a college student, but I've not touched any of the light novels, so I can't say for sure. In any case, I'm also looking forward to this. The anime industry has been bringing back a lot of 1990s - 2000s gems.

If I remember correctly, Off Season refers to side stories, which is what this visual seems to pertains to. Monster Season supposedly follows Araragi as a college student, but I've not touched any of the light novels, so I can't say for sure. In any case, I'm also looking forward to this. The anime industry has been bringing back a lot of 1990s - 2000s gems.
You are absolutely correct! Off Season is a collection of side stories that are set all over the place in the main story. Monster Season is a sequel to the "final season" with an older Araragi.

I dunno about you but everything looked delicious so far. Even the decapitated mandrake heads!

Someone else watching Kaina! The writer, Nihei, is known for his sci-fi worlds (you might know him from stuff like BLAME or Biomega) and Kaina has a lot of that DNA.

Finished the series. Now I have the movie to watch. Overall, I thought the series was good. The world is it's best selling point. Seriously, it does feel like something MonolithSoft would make. The main country feels like it was taken right out of Baten Kaitos and of Sawano doing the main theme brings up memories of Xenoblade X. It is a world begging to be in a game because I feel the 11 episodes just wasn't enough time to explore everything. There is no real indication on how the world became the way it is. The way they defeat the main villain is kind of an asspull and they spent the final episodes protecting this map that they didn't really need in the end. But like I said earlier, I think the series was good. Looking forward to watching the movie to see if it fills in any gaps.

Monogatari is back. Animating Monster Season and Off Season! I knew that recap movie had to mean something 👀

No further details as to the format and release date (they only say it's currently in production) though.

Yesss

Think this calls for a series rewatch for me. It's been a few years now since I've watched any Monogatari. Always been one of my favorites.

Monogatari... now that's a name I haven't heard in awhile. Dropped off from the series right as the Kizumonogatari movie was about to come out, despite being excited for that movie.

I should get back into it

It is a world begging to be in a game because I feel the 11 episodes just wasn't enough time to explore everything
I honestly agree there. Tsutomu Nihei’s manga typically span hundreds of chapters in order to fit all the details about their settings, and Kaina is perhaps a casualty of his usual writing style being forced to adapt to the one-cour (plus a movie) format. But yeah, while underbaked, it still is interesting, and the movie does alleviate some of the issues!

The way they defeat the main villain is kind of an asspull
IIRC it was thanks to the bark knife? That’s actually what I predicted would be the clincher. Of course, I do have the benefit of being familiar with Nihei and the elements that are shared between his works.

Bravern 1-2
Ok this was an amazing ride and I can’t wait to so see where things go next. That OP is going to be stuck in my head for a while(tho I did add it to my main playlist so that’s on me). Love that Bravern made it himself in universe. Haven’t seen that happen since Musashi in Getter Robo XD. that second episode tho, woah things amped up What happened to Isumi is perfect, both the realistic cia response and the complete shattering of his psyche was excellent. Dude does not know how to handle Bravern! And then his clothes exploded! The poor guy XD. Also swerved super gay in the best way, there’s a love triangle forming here. Also liked the football/gorilla mech. Earth tech is gonna get weirder from here on out, I expect mods using alien tech sooner rather than later. Plus only weirdo prototypes are left
That ED reminding us that this is the company that gave us this gem
Also we really don’t get enough character ED’s these days so that was nice. This has jumped high up my list of likes shows this season. Can’t wait for the moderoids we should be getting sooner rather than later(Goodsmile is the confirmed merch partner)

If anyone is interested in this jump in now and jump in blind, the twist is excellent

7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life with her Worst Enemy! 1-2

Actually not too familiar with villainess tropes so the redundancies may be going over my head. The unfavorable love interest is the cause of Rishe, our heroine's, death-time-loops. Thus she decides to wed him in an attempt to change her fate. It's charming, humorous and comfy so far. Again I'm not sure where these villainess stories usually go so I'm just buckling in for the ride.

Brave Bang Bravern 1-2

I can't believe AOTY has been decided this early!

Bravern actually playing his theme song aloud and it turning out he really does project his logo behind him out into the world as he transforms both cracked me the hell up. I also like how they did a bait-and-switch not just with the show's premise, but also Isami's characterization itself; presented at first as this stoic, always-cool-under-pressure badass soldier, he ends up quickly cracking when faced with actual combat. And now he has to deal with being the chosen pilot of this eccentric giant alien robot and being waterboarded. Poor guy.

The mechs being CG here didn't bother me as much as it usually does, the way they're shading them here might be a large part of that.

My heart warms up from all the love for Bravern here. That silly robot must be protected at all costs.

Actually not too familiar with villainess tropes so the redundancies may be going over my head
You picked a good one to try the genre out with. Rishe is a solid go-getter of a main character, and that's always appreciated.

Delicious in Dungeon 3

This episode ruled on its animation alone, but I also distinctly remember this is when the manga "clicked" for me and I knew it'd be one of my all time favorites. This season is going to be great y'all!

Girlfriend Girlfriend Season 2

So this was basically the Shino season, which was fine with me because Shino is far and away best girl. Maybe I accepted the dumbness of this show, but I even found the comedy of this season to work better.

Ultimately this show comes down to "how long will it take Saki Saki to embrace her clear bisexuality and want to also date Naoya's other gfs" and "how long will it take Naoya to accept 3/4 timing". Heck Saki Saki is clearly like 95% into girls 5% into Naoya, honestly if not for Naoya she'd just be a full lesbian.

Looking at how far this got, seems like 1 more season could adopt the rest of the manga. Not sure if I should wait since there's no guarantee we'll even get an s3.

Tales of Wedding Rings Episode 1

You know I'm deep down the degenerate hole when I'm watching isekai to get more anime with polygamous relationships. Battle harems are already one of my biggest guilty pleasures, so I'm hoping this one will provide that mix of good action and dumb uwu that engages me. Need to see a bit more to get a feel for where this show is going.

Last edited:
Patlabor OVA(OG) -fin
Some solid world building, a fun adventure and some solid mech action. JSDf rebellion was a highlight. Tho I could definitely see the tv series having more room to breath fleshing things out moreso. This is moreso a group of clips than a full narrative…. Tho if we're talking copaganda from the same era, you're under arrest is more fun overall XD.
The OP being the leads love affair with her Mech unit is hilarious tho

Now back to Dunbine with disc 2. Still need to decide if I'm getting the Virunvee

The Apothecary Diaries 13

Kind of a nothing set up episode for the outer courts. Looks like the drama will pick up next episode.

Frieren 17

Yeah Sein not sticking around was foreshadowed, but it's shocking he only last 5 episode. Also the Fern x Stark ship is very entertaining and I agree with Sein, they just need to date already.

Metallic Rouge 2

The action set piece at the end of this episode was impressive. Rouge and Naomi have fantastic chemistry and this is an easy front runner for my favorite sci-fi anime in like a decade.

7th Time Loop 3

Love seeing Rishe doing her own chores and showing off her abilities. She says she wants a lazy carefree life but she can't help herself from being proactive! The maid scene shows how diplomatic Rishe is capable of being. That almost stole the spotlight from the dance scene which was a great back and forth of the power dynamics between our main couple. I'm enjoying this show more than I anticipated.

A Sign of Affection 1-3

More than the romance I'm interested to see how Yuki is portrayed and treated as a deaf protagonist. She has an inner monologue thats voice acted. Though the direction tends to use sign language, written language and texts more often than the voice over. The love interest, Itsuomi, is a well-traveled bloke with an interest in other cultures and languages. He's already tri-lingual and is now showing interest in Yuki. He has genuine interest in learning how Yuki experiences life and thus decides to learn sign language to have a better time of communicating with her.

There are possible love triangles here and a so-far-awful childhood friend that will cause trouble for sure. Hopefully it keeps the good vibes and doesn't descend into melodrama. I have faith in this couple so far.

Undead Unluck 1-4

It's a shame the mix of disney+ and the initial episodes coming off as very... nonconsensual... kept more people from checking this series out. The Unchange fight was very well done and around the time when the manga originally won me over.

I was busy the last few days, but now that my schedule is more open again I sat down tonight to watch the last seven episodes of Dragon Quest Dai. The final battle was awesome! Just really dug how it all played out. My favorite part was when Dai grabbed his sword already in Vearn to cut him in half. Wild ending there. For the ending I was a little bummed we didn’t get to see the happy ending fully play out, but I liked it ended on a hopeful note.

I’m really glad to have finished it finally. I was watching it on and off for years before I really sat down to finish it these last few months. What an awesome show. I’ll post again when I start watching some more anime. Lot of big games this week in particular so it might be a bit, but I’m eager nonetheless to start some new shows so it shouldn’t be too long.

Pretend I didn't forget to see the first film last week after buying a ticket

Gurren Lagann The Lights In The Sky Are Stars

This is a pretty great condensed recap film of the second half of Gurren Lagann. The first half hour is pretty rushed, but once Yoko rescued Simone and the team went to space the film was fantastic the rest of the way. I love the way they redid the final battle with the Anti Spiral, and I'm glad we can finally watch this version of the fight with the amazing English cast. While I'd still recommend the tv show, this film is a great way to get all that GL goodness in a 2 hour package.

Bravern E2
The only thing greater than the titular robot is the shitposting this show gets away with because it's 100% genuine. Also the continued bait and switching is excellent.
You thought it was a serious real robo show but it actually is just super robo.. up to eleven (if not twelve). Bravern isn't the stoic Optimus-like figure but basically a chuunibyou in robot form. Isami is a bad-ass soldier... but instantly crumbles under pressure, also actually doesn't want to pilot Bravern. Also... everything is super gay.
I'm kinda getting "Star vs Evil"-vibes from it, let's hope it doesn't crash and burn :LOL:

Mashle S2 E2+3

Episode 1: "The intro's hopefully gonna grow on me..."
Episode 3: [while swinging back and forth in his seat] BLING-BLANG-BLANG BLING-BLANG-BLANG BLING-BLANG-BLANG-BORN

As fun as the action in this show is, I like the cast all being goofy together even more, we just have a very colourful group of people/un all playing off of Mash differently. Although the short fight between Macaron and Ames was absolute fire too, magic always has a very unique look in this show. Also, TOURNAMENT ARC incoming :D

Back
Top Bottom