• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Anime |ST| Is Captain Falcon more anime than Fire Emblem?

I know I said "make it 3 movies" earlier as a joke, but I do expect some of the final arc of JJK to be a film. In particular I wouldn't be surprised if (real as manga spoilers don't click if not current)
Gojo vs Sukuna is the end of 1 movie with the rest of the finale being a second film or a final season depending upon how long it is. Gojo vs Sukuna is such a crazy spectacle I can see the anime team wanting a film budget to go all out
Re: spoilers I can definitely see that being the case.

I’ve continued to watch Dragon Quest Dai these past 2.5 weeks as I’m determined to finally finish it (perhaps before the year ends?). I hit a really good stretch with the final battles with Hadlar and his royal guard so I got especially hooked today where I watched seven episodes. The final battle there and the stuff after it was awesome. I especially enjoyed the Avan Cross Strash, the Giga Strash, and Hadlar’s multiple final dying moments. I ended tonight on episode 75 which has the fourth ending theme so I know I’m definitely in the final stretch now.
Such a great show, would love to rewatch with the dub but that’s Hulu only for now
Dai is a lot of fun. It's not the most original premise or super subversive... but it has a lot of heart and a genuinely fun cast. It knows what it is and isn't ashamed of that :D Also pretty good production values, proving that Toei has some really talented people working for them!
To be exact it actually is original, for it’s time, the manga is from the late 80’s is based off DQ1-3 mechanics, and established or refined a ton of tropes that “modern” Shonen became reliant on. Heck look up what it’s contemporaries were. It’s just that it got a new adaption nearly 40 years later(original anime stopped pretty early in)
That part of the show absolutely sucks. Does nothing but take away from the races.

I'm honestly interested in how the anime will tackle it. It's a daunting task, to be sure.

Yeah, that streak of battles was super good. Hadlar himself is phenomenal. Grows from being a maniacal overlord to genuinely terrifying villain with unbreakable conviction.

How are we at a new season of anime already?!

It's already time for Delicious in Dungeon! With Frieren continuing we'll have two great fantasy anime running at the same time.
DiD is in netflix hell tho DX. Also we did have faraway paladin this season. And family circumstances

The Apothecary Diaries 9

Not much to say about this one. Felt like a half set up episode into another half set up episode for what I presume will be a big pay off to the garden party story line in the next episode or two.

And that'll do it for I'm In Love With The Villainess. Gonna rush order the light novels on Amazon to help manifest a second season.

Frieren is a gem for the fantasy genre, that’s for sure.

Speaking of the fantasy genre: I hope the continuation for Helck happens sooner rather than later. Need to see that lovable oaf save his people. Also Piwi is love.
images

Wow time sure flies. Need to look into curating my Winter watchlist.

A friend on The Loud House server I help moderate suggested I start watching Girlfriend, Girlfriend, and three episodes in, this show is bonkers hilarious.

A friend on The Loud House server I help moderate suggested I start watching Girlfriend, Girlfriend, and three episodes in, this show is bonkers hilarious.
Us manga readers often say that the characters share one brain cell amongst themselves. The show is unapologetically dumb lol

Helck was a fun ride. I do think this series deserves better than a Satelight adaptation, and I was reminded of this feeling more times than I wish I was while watching, but even with that I think the strength of the source material shows through and it's still worth the watch. Plenty of laughs early on with a fun cast and an actual decent story developing as the show went on. Hope it won't be too long until a continuation airs.

Eminence in Shadow is getting a movie to cover the next arc. Looking forward to the goofy bullshit returning.

I think my favorite thing about this series is how different the manga and anime are and that both succeed in being dumb fun by delivering the humor of the series in completely different ways. Took me a while to get used to how stupidly edgy the anime is compared to the manga, but I think I may like it almost as much as the manga now. Playing the edginess of Cid's bullshit straight like that at the very least gives a nice alternate take on the same story beats.

how different the manga and anime are and that both succeed in being dumb fun by delivering the humor of the series in completely different ways
It's somewhat startling how different the manga and anime are, despite more or less following the same story beats. The manga is still better for me, but I agree that the anime has its own appeal.

I bought the first volume of Blue Lock for my nephew and read it first. It's pretty good.

How seductive does the egotism propaganda get later on? Am I looking at a Wall Street situation where the critical intention of a line like "Greed is good" is eventually overwritten by people taking it seriously and enshrining it as truth? As of the first few chapters it's already right on the line where Blue Lock's philosophy is descrutive but also alluring.

Am I looking at a Wall Street situation where the critical intention of a line like "Greed is good" is eventually overwritten by people taking it seriously and enshrining it as truth?
It's worth noting that Blue Lock's concept of egotism is more layered than the basic dictionary definition. Yes, Blue Lock wants the players to think of themselves as the stars, the bringer of victory. But it also looks at the concept of ego as a form of understanding oneself-- understanding what your talents are, understanding what your limits are, and understanding how to produce a goal based on those factors.

That said, it's best not to take the manga too seriously. It's... not exactly an accurate picture of how football is played, lol.

It's worth noting that Blue Lock's concept of egotism is more layered than the basic dictionary definition. Yes, Blue Lock wants the players to think of themselves as the stars, the bringer of victory. But it also looks at the concept of ego as a form of understanding oneself-- understanding what your talents are, understanding what your limits are, and understanding how to produce a goal based on those factors.

That said, it's best not to take the manga too seriously. It's... not exactly an accurate picture of how football is played, lol.

As someone who grew up on Ganbare! Kickers I never expected realism.

But take the central dilemma of the first chapter: You're through on goal. You can shoot yourself, or pass to a teammate in a better position - what do you do? That's a decision my nephew would recognize and would have made and would have had to deal with the consequences of. The decision can go wrong, even though it was the right one in principle and should be made the same way against the next time, and it can turn out right even tho it was made for the wrong reasons. There's a good and a bad lesson to take away from the situation Yoichi gets hung up on, and "I should be the kind of striker who always shoots himself" is misguided and if Blue Lock ends up endorsing it in the long run, that'd be a big knock against it.

Your point about the concept as a method to produce goals with an understanding of what type of player you are already sound better than the potential Gordon Gekko future I feared.

if Blue Lock ends up endorsing it in the long run
In my opinion, it does not. You’ll find some people will disagree, but Isagi for example will sometimes exercise his ego by passing or directing the midfield. Again, it’s about understanding his capabilities. He learns what opportunities to capitalize on, and later on improving himself to increase his chances of scoring.

Thanks for the answers; and also for allowing me to know other people come to a different conclusion in the aggregate. What you described sounds reassuring, so I'll follow where the story goes alongside my nephew - if he even sticks with the series. Honestly, what made me think of a generation of Gordon Gekkos wasn't so much reading the first volume as it was dipping into reddit for a bit and seeing people run down Kira (the first player eliminated) like a soft emancipated beta male. But I guess that's reddit for ya.

Someone found the unlisted 2nd cour confirmation of 100gf LFG
It was also leaked a while back so I was always fairly confident it was going to get another cour. I’m definitely hyped .

Another great comedy that aired this season, Tearmoon Empire, just ended too. Mia might just be the funniest MC this season, on par with Rentarou at least.

Frieren 14

Poor Himmel, falling in love with an elf who didn't understand until it was too late. At least Fern and Stark won't have that problem.

Really bummed Undead Unluck is in Hulu jail because it is such a fun show, I might try to catch up on the manga after this season ends.

Really bummed Undead Unluck is in Hulu jail because it is such a fun show, I might try to catch up on the manga after this season ends.
Please do! The story only gets better and better, and it kills me that I can’t say anything more specific for fear of spoilers

Poor Himmel, falling in love with an elf who didn't understand until it was too late
One of my favorite things about Frieren blowing up is all the “dense Frieren” memes that were born

Exhibit A:
images

Please do! The story only gets better and better, and it kills me that I can’t say anything more specific for fear of spoilers

One of my favorite things about Frieren blowing up is all the “dense Frieren” memes that were born

Exhibit A:
images
Also the dense audience who say things like "why are people saying Himmel and Frieren is a ship" or "why are Fern and Stark a ship"? I dunno maybe watch the show you claim to be watching.

100 Girlfriends 12

As a manga fan this was basically a perfect adaptation of the manga. The 4th breaking humor was elevated by the anime, and the parts that needed to be serious and emotional landed as well. Looking for to season/cour 2 (I hate modern anime), glad they teased the gfs of the next season in the ending.

this was basically a perfect adaptation of the manga
A lot of passion was definitely poured into the anime. I honestly did not think 100 GF would ever get adapted, being a logistics nightmare. So I'm floored that we got an adaptation that wasn't only good, it was downright stellar.

Cannot wait for the second season.

Really looking forward to the second cour of 100 Girlfriends. Great adaptation of a hilarious manga. I guess they'll probably go up through volume 6 with the second cour, so there's a lot of good stuff to look forward to. The series is already a ton of fun but it still gets so much more ridiculous than anything seen up to this point in the anime.

Personally can't wait for Naddy in a potential 3rd season though. I think she's going to be so much funnier in anime form and her intro chapter is one of the funniest imo.

What chapter did season 2 finish at? and what chapter is it at now?
It finished at chapter 58 and the last chapter is 92. They could probably squeeze one more cour out of the current material, but they have the movie coming out right now so they might wait a bit.

Well I've got the week off from work so I'm doing an end of year sprint to try to finish up any 2023 anime I never got around to watching that I'm interested in.

Finished up Hell's Paradise just now. I thought it was pretty cool. Pacing was a bit breakneck at points, with characters having entire introduction/backstory/growth/send-off arcs within the span of a single episode, but it's probably better than a pace that drags along. Setting is cool too. I think the monsters are appropriately unsettling, and feel dangerous enough which heightens the tension. I also thought early on I wasn't going to care for the cast, but I actually like the group of characters being assembled as the show goes on. I was expecting a "2 vs everyone else" setup with the 2 main characters and everyone else just being some kind of antagonist, but I think what we actually have is a lot better right now. Will watch season 2 when it airs.

The other shows I'm going to try to knock out are Heavenly Delusion, Tomo-chan Is a Girl, Insomniacs After School, and Farming Life in Another World.

It finished at chapter 58 and the last chapter is 92. They could probably squeeze one more cour out of the current material, but they have the movie coming out right now so they might wait a bit.
To be fair, given the nature of the story, I think they could easily make some filler episodes and they'd probably get away with it, gotta wait for the movie to come out to really judge that I suppose but I'm optimistic.

But it's not like WIT and CloverWorks don't have other things to work on too, so a break on SxF wouldn't be too bad, imho.

Finished up Hell's Paradise just now. I thought it was pretty cool. Pacing was a bit breakneck at points, with characters having entire introduction/backstory/growth/send-off arcs within the span of a single episode, but it's probably better than a pace that drags along. Setting is cool too. I think the monsters are appropriately unsettling, and feel dangerous enough which heightens the tension.

Watched Hell's Paradise weekly and I agree. Was a cool setting, fun characters and delightfully weird monsters! But the pacing was super weird at times, especially with them basically introducing a completely new power system like 3 episodes towards the end 😅

basically introducing a completely new power system like 3 episodes towards the end
Unfortunately, there wasn’t a good stopping point for a split cour format, unless they added a lot of anime-original content.

Spy X Family seems almost caught up with the manga, wonder if they will wait a couple of years before releasing season 3.
I guess they’ll release the movie, then release another season of anime within a year after that

Heavenly Delusion, Tomo-chan Is a Girl, Insomniacs After School
These are all great. Heavenly Delusion in particular is so delightfully weird.

Hell's Paradise really should have been a 26-39 episode production that adapted the entire manga.

Kaguya Love Is War Season 3

So I knew I hadn't finished this, I thought I watched more than I did but everything after episode 2 was new. I already knew most of what happened due to internet osmosis, but that didn't diminish my enjoyment. I do enjoy the fact that despite the insane theatrics and sharing a deep first kiss, both characters are still dumbfounded over the fact neither actually confessed their love verbally. Will check out the "movie" (ie the broken into 4 episodes version) later this week.

Jujutsu Kaisen season 3 has already been announced, jesus christ those poor animators...

Kaguya Love Is War Season 3

So I knew I hadn't finished this, I thought I watched more than I did but everything after episode 2 was new. I already knew most of what happened due to internet osmosis, but that didn't diminish my enjoyment. I do enjoy the fact that despite the insane theatrics and sharing a deep first kiss, both characters are still dumbfounded over the fact neither actually confessed their love verbally. Will check out the "movie" (ie the broken into 4 episodes version) later this week.

The movie is great, enjoy!

I've learned to not be too disappointed if a manga doesn't get adapted all the way, but goddamnit i'll be MAD if Kaguya doesn't get any more seasons.

Kaguya The First Kiss Never Ends

This felt like the biggest stretch of "let's turn an arc into a film" I've seen. I enjoyed it, but this felt less like a film and more like one of those made for Disney TV films where a bunch of episodes are duct taped together. It was bizarre to have the Ishigami-Tsubame-Iino sub plot just dropped in the finale after the build up to their Christmas Party.

Oshi No Ko 1

So I already read this in the manga, but having it be a "film" really fixed the funky pacing issues the beginning of the series had. The cynicism of the entertainment industry, along with the tragedy of Ai's death are really elevated in this. I'm pretty sure the anime covers more then I originally read in the manga, but I'm excited to see more of this messed up world.

This felt like the biggest stretch of "let's turn an arc into a film" I've seen
Yeah, it's a bit iffy in film format, it flows better as separate episodes

Which is an amusing contrast to Oshi no Ko, which as you said, works a lot better as a single long premiere

Jujutsu Kaisen season 3 has already been announced, jesus christ those poor animators...
MAPPA execs def need a whack on the noggin

Oshi No Ko

I didn't expect to spend the entire day binging this, but I was hooked. I was not expecting the show to go as hard as it did, especially the cyber bulling and suicide stuff in episode 6. Aka is truly a special writer, one of the best in the industry. I dunno if I wanna wait for s2 or binge the manga, but I will be buying the manga volumes.

Next up in my 2023 anime clean-up sprint is Farming Life in Another World. Rather unspectacular but better than I thought it'd be? I remember reading some of the manga years ago and was very unimpressed. When I saw it was getting an anime I skipped it, but only decided to give it a shot since I've actually heard positive things about it which surprised me. I think the anime is certainly better than the manga. The soundtrack feeds into the cozy feel of the series, and I think the individual scenes showing different parts of the village were given a bit more room to breathe compared to the manga, which often felt like it was blitzing through bullet points of random stuff to show off in a given chapter. I do think this is the type of anime that would likely be better off watched weekly due to the general chill low stakes nature of it, but even watching the whole thing over 2 days I thought it was solid enough. I'd watch a 2nd season weekly.

Holy shit, the Kaina ova was amazing, that was some of the best worldbuilding I've seen. Like all the things in the blanket/map make totally sense when the party experience it, the fact that they were on the lower part of the sea trench and of course the purpose of the orbital tree and the bugs and of course, the power of reading .

I made the mistake of googling what people thought of the Oshi No Ko dubbed, which is how I watched the show and thought it was solid.

Why is the internet such a fucking awful place?

Next up in my 2023 anime clean-up sprint is Farming Life in Another World. Rather unspectacular but better than I thought it'd be? I remember reading some of the manga years ago and was very unimpressed. When I saw it was getting an anime I skipped it, but only decided to give it a shot since I've actually heard positive things about it which surprised me. I think the anime is certainly better than the manga. The soundtrack feeds into the cozy feel of the series, and I think the individual scenes showing different parts of the village were given a bit more room to breathe compared to the manga, which often felt like it was blitzing through bullet points of random stuff to show off in a given chapter. I do think this is the type of anime that would likely be better off watched weekly due to the general chill low stakes nature of it, but even watching the whole thing over 2 days I thought it was solid enough. I'd watch a 2nd season weekly.
Well the other thing is in the manga the lead is human and the girls aggression in certain matters is far more open. In the anime only the elves are open about so with the rest you get that hilarious but towards the end. Not that either is awful but it comes off funnier in the anime
I made the mistake of googling what people thought of the Oshi No Ko dubbed, which is how I watched the show and thought it was solid.

Why is the internet such a fucking awful place?
It’s how I’m planning to watch. And welcome to sub elitism. Also UYAS dub was solid tho since we don’t know if it’s a simul for season 2 I’m probably back to subs

Well the other thing is in the manga the lead is human and the girls aggression in certain matters is far more open. In the anime only the elves are open about so with the rest you get that hilarious but towards the end. Not that either is awful but it comes off funnier in the anime

It’s how I’m planning to watch. And welcome to sub elitism. Also UYAS dub was solid tho since we don’t know if it’s a simul for season 2 I’m probably back to subs
I'm not sure what UYAS is (my guess was Urusei Yatsura but I dunno why you'd add the AS instead of like UY22), but I'm okay with waiting for a dub even if it's delayed. I have tons of backlog shows to watch (hence watching OnK now). I need to catch up on stuff like Mashle and Shangri-La Frontier, big titles this year on my to watch list like Castlevania Nocture and Pluto, along with classics I've meant to watch for years like Slayers and Utena.

While I haven't been posting about them I'm currently bouncing between Urusei Yatsura 2022, Escaflowne, and Magic Knight Rayearth. I've not had much to say about them other but I guess rapid fire thoughts

UY 22- Everyone in this show has 1 iq, but it has a charm that works. It further confirms that Rin-ne didn't have to be as boring as it was.

Escaflowne- Rewatch using the kickstarted blu ray I got years ago and never finished that rewatch. Show is still great, new dub is still fantastic, old isekai are way better then modern crap.

MKR- Half rewatch half new, this has been my exercise bike show. See my thoughts above on Escaflowne only lower the dub quality to "holds up better then I expected".

I'm not sure what UYAS is (my guess was Urusei Yatsura but I dunno why you'd add the AS instead of like UY22), but I'm okay with waiting for a dub even if it's delayed. I have tons of backlog shows to watch (hence watching OnK now). I need to catch up on stuff like Mashle and Shangri-La Frontier, big titles this year on my to watch list like Castlevania Nocture and Pluto, along with classics I've meant to watch for years like Slayers and Utena.

While I haven't been posting about them I'm currently bouncing between Urusei Yatsura 2022, Escaflowne, and Magic Knight Rayearth. I've not had much to say about them other but I guess rapid fire thoughts

UY 22- Everyone in this show has 1 iq, but it has a charm that works. It further confirms that Rin-ne didn't have to be as boring as it was.

Escaflowne- Rewatch using the kickstarted blu ray I got years ago and never finished that rewatch. Show is still great, new dub is still fantastic, old isekai are way better then modern crap.

MKR- Half rewatch half new, this has been my exercise bike show. See my thoughts above on Escaflowne only lower the dub quality to "holds up better than I expected".
The full title is Urusei Yatsura All-Stars, that’s the official name for the new adaption. At least in marketing and Japan. I guess Hidive left it out since the original has so little of a western presence

Finished up Heavenly Delusion. One of those fascinating anime that is fairly challenging and has a lot of good stuff going in its favor, but in its general approach to telling its story trips up quite often. I'd say overall it's good. I think my main issue is really just the split nature of the storytelling. It took a very long time until I felt the academy side of the story really earned its place and I spent a lot of the runtime wishing it was pretty much about Maru and Haruki since I felt there was enough going on with that part of the story and its themes that it was more than enough to tell an engaging story on its own, but the anime did a pretty good job wrapping the two up into each other by the end, even if just barely. Worth the watch, though. I'd watch a sequel if one ever gets greenlit.

The elephant in the room for the anime is definitely the rape scene. It appears to be very controversial with the fanbase and I come away from it thinking the controversy is deserved. Haruki's identity is a big part of the story and its themes and it being explored in such a way, with Maru's pretty clumsy confession coming afterward, is a lot to chew on. My immediate reaction was pretty negative, and I'm at the stage now where I've been reading posts/thoughts on it elsewhere to try to make some sense of it. Not sure about this one.

Discotek day approaches again and these 2 clues in particular are making me think of one show in particular: Shin God Steel Jeeg

This one could be a more general Go Nagai tease tho there is an episode where the lead does flying drill docking training….by imagining he’s catching boobs instead with the robot

While this could be a reference to Hiroshi the OG Steel Jeeg who loses his side burns when he transforms into a cyborg. Also the fact the show is a psuedo reboot/sequel to the old show

Sigh I can only hope. A dub would be rad too

I started reading Spy x Family a few days ago and am already on chapter 31. Really enjoying it, it’s very charming.

Back
Top Bottom