• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a heads up, if anyone is looking at this thread and the pre-release thread on the old forum- avoid going into the pre-release forum over there- someone has just dropped a major spoiler in there.
Turns out I already had that on ignore, which is great since I was checking that fairly often and would've definitely gotten spoiled. Man that sucks though

Hopefully that doesn't happen here

As a heads up, if anyone is looking at this thread and the pre-release thread on the old forum- avoid going into the pre-release forum over there- someone has just dropped a major spoiler in there.
I got lucky. I was in page 138 (the latest page) when I browsed and the spoiler was in the page before. Dude posted the spoilers and signed off. People were heated..

Man it really makes me appreciate people posting spoiler tags on the leaked thread here.

Thanks! I’ll look into it. :)

If people are looking for something short and fun to play in the meantime, I’d recommend Stray. I loved it.
it looks good. Would check it out if it comes in Switch.

So I made the mistake of watching this Xenoblade Chronicles X video from Digital Foundry:

This game looks incredible and I had no idea. Never played it back during the Wii U era. Why the hell hasn't Nintendo brought this to Switch? I swear it looks better then the new stuff in a lot of ways including scope of the land itself. Even seems to perform better lol and that's on old hardware. Weird. Now I want this on Switch so I can play it. :(

Also currently working my way through Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and eventually Torna) and I'm excited for Xenoblade Chronicles 3. :)

Damn that was amazing. I feel bad only playing 5 hours on Wii u and not touching it again. At this point, the soonest it will come out will be in 2024. A simultaneous release for switch and Wii u. Switch gets 720p docked, but increased draw distance, fixes collision detection, better shadow rendering.. i hope. And Drake easy 1080p

Beautiful music.

I ignored the pre-release discussion thread at the other place a few days back because I just felt it was going in that direction.

Nothing major had been posted in there, but there were a couple of bits - one being very vague and not what I’d class as a spoiler and another being a clip from the opening of the game.

I managed to ignore it, but for me, and it might sound weird, the beginning of a game is quite sacred to me.

Previews and reviews typically don’t show the beginning and there’s a magic to experiencing the opening 5/10 minutes of a game that’s hard to describe.

I know the intro was shown in some previews but I’ve avoided it. I’d never watch those IGN videos where they show the first 10/15 minutes of a game. I’m just not interested in that type of coverage at all.

What I will say is that from the murmurings I’ve heard here and elsewhere, everyone seems universally happy with the game, so that’s exciting!

I feel like they hire vocalists who struggle with high notes, like something always sounds off about high notes in these vocal themes.

Still beautiful though

Let's get our minds off being Spoiled and listen to a longer version of that vocal theme that opened the Direct trailer.

A great singer could have probably saved this song, but the singers voice is relatively weak and struggles often to hit the right note.

Honestly that sounds like a very cheap production quality. I like vocal songs in games, but I would preferred no vocal songs instead of this distracting ear breaker.

Last edited:
A great singer could have probably saved this song, but the singers voice is relatively weak and struggles often to hit the right note.

Honestly that sounds like a very cheap production quality. I like vocal songs in games, but I would preferred no vocal songs instead of this distracting ear breaker.

Calling it "very cheap production quality" and "ear breaker" just because the singer's voice is a little too soft is an overreaction. Her voice sounds better than Jen Bird's imo. And the melody/orchestra performance is still beautiful.

Last edited:
Potential hints from Louise...was she cast as a Nopon in 3?

Dunno if this is the first case of a proper Xeno fangirl getting a voice over role in the series.
It's hilarious that she cornered Riki's VA.

My roommate just got an Amazon package delivered at 7am. I don't think I've ever gotten a package delivered that early. I need some of that luck channeled my way on Friday

Why the hell hasn't it shipped?

Apparently it's shipping on the 29th.

21D89EAE-739B-4D5C-AB55-1E49B18D31BC.jpeg

After successfully securing a special edition I went ahead and preordered it digitally as well because I knew there would be some release day shipping bullshit.

Oh well. At least I know it's coming, and I still get to play the game this Thursday at midnight EST. Just sucks it took $160 to get here.

Apparently it's shipping on the 29th.

View attachment 610
Well fuck me.

This is why they shouldn't make any special editions "exclusive" to the mynintendo store. You would think that Nintendo of all people could send these out early to get it to people on time. I could have ordered this on Amazon and I would have gotten the game 2 days early.

I guess I have to go blackout on release day.

Yeah I figured there would be some shenanigans with the special edition shipment so I predownloaded the digital version too - may sell my physical version later on but i also like to collect stuff so 🤷‍♂️

If that's really the case and it won't even start shipping till Friday, then 1. Nintendo sux and 2. Might actually buy a 2nd copy at launch and then sell it to a friend of mine who is interested in this game but wouldn't care about waiting a week to start it once the other copy gets here.

It does seem totally nuts that this screws over the most dedicated fans of the series, lol

Do we know Manana's voice actor?
Only the one for the Japanese voiced version.
Manana has a fairly middle of the road English accent, if you block out the Noponese lilt - judging from the last few trailers.
Louise seems to have a background in comedy, so that aspect fits, but she's Scottish, although perfectly capable of doing other regional accents.

The voice director for 2, Torna & Future Connected appears to be very Scots biased. I wonder whether he's back for this one, and has recruited a bunch of Highland people again. Haha.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the screengrab!
Mr. Livingstone was the one I was talking about previously.
I recall Skye Bennett confirming that Jimmy also voiced Captain Padraig and the miscellaneous Mor Ardainian soldiers.

Mark Healy did the English dub for XBC1 (2011, EU) and worked with the London-based actors for XBCX (2015). Him being back could have some interesting implications...
Rosie Jones looks to be a newcomer to the series.

I wonder when it is supposed to ship from Nintendo. I'm assuming they won't ship it so that I'll get it on Friday, but I'm hoping I get word that it shipped soon. I'm itching to play it so badly!

I wonder when it is supposed to ship from Nintendo. I'm assuming they won't ship it so that I'll get it on Friday, but I'm hoping I get word that it shipped soon. I'm itching to play it so badly!
If you look to some earlier posts it looks like Shipments from Nintendo won’t start till Friday. That is if your talking about the SE.

I just received my copy! Regular edition, eBay seller. Diving in tonight after the kids go to sleep.

If anyone has any non-spoiler questions (menu, UI, opening, etc.) they want answered, let me know and I will report back. Otherwise, l can post non-spoiler impressions, but haven't kept up on where that should go. Here or the spoiler thread?

I just received my copy! Regular edition, eBay seller. Diving in tonight after the kids go to sleep.

If anyone has any non-spoiler questions (menu, UI, opening, etc.) they want answered, let me know and I will report back. Otherwise, l can post non-spoiler impressions, but haven't kept up on where that should go. Here or the spoiler thread?

Enjoy! I hope it exceeds your expectations.

This may have been answered already, but I’m curious to know if there are defined chapters like in Xenoblade 2 and X or hidden like Xenoblade 1.

I hate Nopon dubbing, without question. The deep voiced Hero Nopon might be the best (most tolerable*) yet but not holding my breath

Any impressions around Nopon presence in this game?

So I made the mistake of watching this Xenoblade Chronicles X video from Digital Foundry:

This game looks incredible and I had no idea. Never played it back during the Wii U era. Why the hell hasn't Nintendo brought this to Switch? I swear it looks better then the new stuff in a lot of ways including scope of the land itself. Even seems to perform better lol and that's on old hardware. Weird. Now I want this on Switch so I can play it. :(

Also currently working my way through Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and eventually Torna) and I'm excited for Xenoblade Chronicles 3. :)

Xenoblade X does not look better than 2 and Torna, nor does it run better (docked vs TV, undocked vs gamepad) Even on pre-release, without patches, digital foundry listened the many ways in which the engine and the looks of 2 are superior than X, from animations, lights, shadows, polygon counts, reflections, particles, textures, grass (3d mashes vs billboard), etc. Also, X did not have collision detection in a fair amount of elements in order to run well on the wii u, meanwhile, collision detection was added to these elements in 2 and torna. At max, X AA technique is less aggresive, and it may have a bit more of depth of view (or maybe it is just because of Mira is a continuous land vs the Titans that are not).

But despite of that, I agree X is beautiful and a huge achievement on the wii u, and I do believe a remaster with the level of improvements of 1DE (that is, apply all the level of improvements that Torna have) would require a more powerful hardware than the switch to run as well.

This may have been answered already, but I’m curious to know if there are defined chapters like in Xenoblade 2 and X or hidden like Xenoblade 1.
I don't have the game but from what I've read it's defined.

what's the general menuing speed feel like?

the overall experience just felt sorta sluggish with 2 is it like that again or nah?

I can also answer questions people may have (I also got an early copy). Feel free to dm me if you have specific burning questions; I've spent about 8 hours with the game, all docked.

I see a lot of questionable takes when it comes to Xenoblade, but Nopon hate is the most baffling of them all.

Tatsu and Tora have issues, but Nopon as a whole are great. Hopefully the ones on this game match the very high bar set by Riki and his family.

Opening Impressions:

Okay. Wow.

The production value is a huge step up. I'm kinda blown away because X2 excelled so much in this area. I wasn't expecting such a huge leap here. The cutscenes are incredibly well done in the opening sequence.

On top of that, the story IMMEDIATELY grabs you. Stakes are set. World intrigue is overflowing. Characters are grounded and relatable. I got major FFX and Lost Odyssey vibes from the beginning in the best possible ways.

The music is... holy shit everything just hits. There are some tracks here that really feel like stretching into unusual territories for monolith and it really took me off guard.

Combat beginnings is exactly what you would expect from the opening of an Xenoblade game. Stripped down to its simplest state, while slowly introducing new (previously) established mechanics. Of course this is just within the first hour.

UI seems to be much improved. Everything is nicely tucked into the corners and less obtrusive compared to previous entries. The character menu is less intimidating and has a nice userface. I did not check the map as of yet.

Console Performance:

I played in portable mode on an OLED Switch. I'm not sure what has been confirmed/denied for the overall performance, and I'm not an expert by any means.

Resolution in portable mode seems to be dynamic. Cutscenes look to be 720p. Some of the in-game cutscenes also look to be 720p, but exploring is hard to gauge. It looks clearer than X2 overall, but still not ideal, even at the highest resolution. Character models have a similar softness to X2, but assets further off into the distance seem to have much more clarity than what I remember from X2. Also, X3 has less pop-in compared to X2.

I did not notice any major framerate drops. Seems to be a smooth 30 FPS so far.

Time tidbits:

Battery performance on the OLED. I played for exactly 60 mins, and my 100% charged switch is at 80%. This makes me believe you should be able to squeeze out around 5 hours of playtime on one full charge.

Time to actual gameplay (exploration)

Time to first settlement

I have not made far enough to say. I will get back to you when I do.

I hate Nopon dubbing, without question. The deep voiced Hero Nopon might be the best (most tolerable*) yet but not holding my breath

Any impressions around Nopon presence in this game?

Present, but very muted in the beginning.
what's the general menuing speed feel like?

the overall experience just felt sorta sluggish with 2 is it like that again or nah?

I can't remember X2 speeds off the top of my head, but X3 seems snappy enough to me. No loading that I can spot. The userface is also a huge step up in comparison. Much more user friendly.

Finally about to finish my XB1 replay and I forgot the heartwarming fact that the
final Shulk and Fiora heart-to-heart
is before the point of no return.

After I'm done I'm jumping right into Future Connected for the first time, which I can hopefully(?) beat before Friday afternoon.

Edit: Wrong thread

Edit 2: I’m almost done with Torna but this community level requirement to advance is a little meh thankfully I’d been doing sidequests anyway. Should be done befor Friday and then instead of trying to cram in finishing the original too I’ll just revisit it after 3 !

About 4 hours in now.

I feel like a majority of the major things that were revealed in the Nintendo Direct happen pretty early in the game. Which is kinda unexpected, right? At least it was for me. I never watched the overview trailer so not sure if it showed more of the story.

My only complaint is the slow unwinding of the combat mechanics, which is pretty standard across the series. So far battles on the main path have been a breeze. But thankfully they are starting to introduce mechanics that are new.

I can say safely say I am more attached to the main cast of this game than any Xenoblade cast that came before it. The setup is something truly special. All the ingredients are in place for an epic and unforgettable JRPG of the highest tier.

More tidbits:

Resolution:
A specific in-game cutscene on handheld had a blurring effect for background NPCs versus front that was very off-putting. And while playing, the constant ranging of resolution can be distracting at times.

I noticed the dynamic resolution scaling is more consistent in Docked mode versus Handheld.

Framerate:
Multiple drops in the colony I have visited. Drops also frequent bigger battles and swinging the camera around while exploring. Overall, still a smooth experience.

Question!

So, with the Special Edition copy of Xenoblade coming so late. What can I do?

Could I, for example, buy a copy of Xenoblade 3 at a local Walmart. Open it, play it. And then when I get the Nintendo late copy, exchange that(brand new and sealed) for a full refund?

Does the barcode or anything change between different copies, and is that possible.

Question!

So, with the Special Edition copy of Xenoblade coming so late. What can I do?

Could I, for example, buy a copy of Xenoblade 3 at a local Walmart. Open it, play it. And then when I get the Nintendo late copy, exchange that(brand new and sealed) for a full refund?

Does the barcode or anything change between different copies, and is that possible.

There have been cases where special editions come with games specifically marked as "Not for Resale", which could pose problems. I think there are also policies around returning items to stores you didn't buy them from, but I don't know any specifics on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom