• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked Agnus because I deal with enough mechanical stuff in the real world, while dreaming of a world that's more magical.

Going with Keves just because I think I like the designs there the most, but shout-out to Taion looking so cool.

I doubt they'd do this, but what if you literally have to pick a side at the beginning of the game and it alters how things play out, at least for a while before everyone comes together or something? I'm thinking something like picking Jude vs. Milla in Tales of Xillia.

Screen_shot_2011-12-25_at_4.52.05_AM.jpg

Seems pretty evenly split so far!

I like both, but voted Keves primarily due to really liking Noah and Eunie’s designs.

I like the balance at this moment.

I don't know which one I lean more to.

"All that time you got"
"Flickering clocks in our eyes"
"The flame clock, it has to go"

"It's the only way you're gonna defeat the real enemy"

reyntime.png
When you get to the end of the game, expecting to fight Zanza 3.0, and instead you just hear

"Now it's Reyn Time!"

Time to speculate on returning characters outside of Nia and Melia.

Will Gael'gar from Future Connected return to wreck havok on the High-Entia purebloods or Melia's kingdom? Maybe he's working with Nia's faction on the sidelines?

Will Bana or some incarnation of him make another appearance?

Are Malos/Logos, Pyra-Mythra/Pneuma, and Alvis/Ontos still around? Why are there Zohar/Conduit symbols on the mechs?

Is Aionios going to end up becoming Mira? (Explains how Nopon are natives to Mira, too) The War between Keves and Agnus strongly resemble the war between the two alien races at the start of Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Time to speculate on returning characters outside of Nia and Melia.

Will Gael'gar from Future Connected return to wreck havok on the High-Entia purebloods or Melia's kingdom? Maybe he's working with Nia's faction on the sidelines?

Will Bana or some incarnation of him make another appearance?

Are Malos/Logos, Pyra-Mythra/Pneuma, and Alvis/Ontos still around? Why are there Zohar/Conduit symbols on the mechs?

Is Aionios going to end up becoming Mira? (Explains how Nopon are natives to Mira, too) The War between Keves and Agnus strongly resemble the war between the two alien races at the start of Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Alvis and the conduit are for sure going to make an appearance, Klaus will likely be present in some way too. Poppi is probably back as well

Alvis and the conduit are for sure going to make an appearance, Klaus will likely be present in some way too. Poppi is probably back as well
Poppi but "turned bad". Tora has probably passed away seeing how every other non-human has gone.

As for Klaus, appart from flashbacks to the time before the experiment, I don't see him returning.

...Part of me was wishing the Nintendo Direct being heavily focused on Square-Enix offerings was contractual obligation to get them to let Xenogears cameos appear in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 a la DLC, similar to how Xenoblade Chronicles 2 managed to get KOS-MOS and TELOS from Xenosaga.

I don't see Gael'gar returning. I think he was created specifically for Future Connected after Xenoblade 3 had already been planned out, his purpose is too specific to the themes of Future Connected and I can't see how he could be used beyond that. I know we don't SEE him die, but he threw himself off a floating island up in the clouds and slammed into the ocean thousands of feet below. Those aren't great survival chances lol.

I don't think they'll go overboard with returns, they'll want the new cast to have the chance to stand on their own. Also, I don't think speculation of returning characters needs to be limited to long-lived characters, reincarnation could be a part of this tale and we've already seen Vandham reincarnated. But here's who I think is likely:

• Tyrea: She'll still be around as Melia's right-hand woman, the one who is willing to do her dirty work, her faithful assassin.
  • Dromarch: Will be Nia's Tyrea as a right-hand man who will do whatever she asks though I can't see him being brutal like Tyrea. If for whatever reason our party has to fight Melia/Nia, then we'll have to go through Tyrea/Dromarch first.
  • Pyra and Mythra: Popular characters who we'll be on everyone's mind and are some of the most important people in this universe, I'll be shocked if they're not here. They likely won't show up until the final chapters.
  • Alvis: If this is the finale of the Klaus arc and there's dimensional merging craziness going on then he has good reason to be here. He shares the Aegis girls' importance to the lore of this world yet I don't think he's as likely as those two. If there is a Xenoblade 4 that starts a new arc in another universe/dimension, and they still want it to have some connection to what came before then I could see them saving Alvis for that (he could have gone to the same universe that the Conduit went to) but I think there are better odds of him showing up in 3.
  • Klaus and Galea: Klaus has been at the center of this arc so far. After he meets with Rex and company he says to himself something like "maybe I will get to see you again, Galea" so I'm thinking these two will be reincarnated. Wouldn't it be crazy if Noah and Mio were them? Noah would be the Fei to Klaus's Kim. (Klaus and Kim both experimented with nanomachines after all)
  • Shulk and Rex: These two I'm less sure about. As the stars of the previous game, Monolith knows that people will want to see them but it could feel fanservicey if there's not a great reason to have them. They could be reincarnated but they'll probably just be in flashbacks.
  • Poppi I'm on the fence about. I do think the artificial blade technology will be important. If they wanted to get dark, they could have a secret fight with an out-of-control evolved Poppi similar to Emil in Nier Automata.

Anyways, I voted for Agnus because Nia's a gem and they have Taion, the new H.B., and Mio taking Morag's place as the new evasion queen.

You know, if this is an open world game it would be one of those things that in hindsight should’ve been obvious.

I mean monolith put out XCX on Wii U and the one unanimously praised thing of that game is it’s big open world, then went on to help on one of the most acclaimed open world games of all time with BotW.

We would all totally think they’d continue down that route if not for XC2 and torna being more linear games, but that can be explained by having most of the open world-experienced staff on BotW.

I did see a lot of “the main Xenoblade games will be wide linear, X will be an open world subseries” but honestly I don’t see why that has to be the case

We would all totally think they’d continue down that route if not for XC2 and torna being more linear games, but that can be explained by having most of the open world-experienced staff on BotW.
I'm not expecting many of the Monolith Tokyo staff who worked on Breath of the Wild instead of Xenoblade 2 to be back for Xenoblade 3. Most of them are probably in Production Division 2 now assisting on the Breath of the Wild sequel.

The Monolith Tokyo staff working on Xenoblade 3 are likely the same Monolith Tokyo staff who worked on Xenoblade 2 along with all of the new hires to Takahashi's production division in the years since then. Takahashi said back in 2018 that his division was hiring for so many positions because they were understaffed.

That said, most of the Monolith Tokyo staff who worked on Xenoblade 2 had key roles in both Xenoblade 1 and Xenoblade X so I think they could pull off another open world game with a longer development cycle and more internal staff (both of which Xenoblade 3 seems to have).

All that said, we don't know for sure yet if Xenoblade 3 will be open world. So far it looks like Xenoblade 3 will have a linear story progression focused on going from one location to the next like Xenoblade 1 and Xenoblade 2. It might be tricky getting that storytelling structure to work in an open world setting if the player can travel to almost any location as soon as the game begins. Granted one or two of the environments look like they might be larger in scale than the locations in Xenoblade 1 or Xenoblade 2, so maybe Monolith pulled it off.

I did see a lot of “the main Xenoblade games will be wide linear, X will be an open world subseries” but honestly I don’t see why that has to be the case
This might go back to some interviews Takahashi gave around the release of Xenoblade 2:

"Xenoblade Chronicles X was a game really focused on exploring and [having an] open world and [defeating] monsters," explains executive director Tetsuya Takahashi. "When we thought about starting to develop the next game, I wanted to go back to a more story-driven design. And so in that sense, this focus on a story-driven game is kind of the legacy of Xenoblade Chronicles 1, so we decided to kind of make it the next iteration of that."

4Gamer first wonders why Monolith Soft went from Xenoblade Chronicles 1 to Xenoblade Chronicles X, and then moved back to numbers with Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Takahashi explains that X was a title with an axis of quests and exploration based on an open world, which resulted in it having a different direction from 1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has the same story-driven axis as 1, which is why they used numbers again. Maps in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are not open world and are segregated by areas, but players can explore freely, so they can enjoy both the storyline and game systems.

Last edited:
I don't see Gael'gar returning. I think he was created specifically for Future Connected after Xenoblade 3 had already been planned out, his purpose is too specific to the themes of Future Connected and I can't see how he could be used beyond that. I know we don't SEE him die, but he threw himself off a floating island up in the clouds and slammed into the ocean thousands of feet below. Those aren't great survival chances lol.
If Melia is alive, then there's a pretty good chance of seeing him still alive as well (seeing how even non-pureblooded High-Entia can live that long). For all we know he threw himself off the floating island and somehow slipped through into the rift.

His entire setup for Future Connected wouldn't really make sense otherwise, plus the fact that he doesn't even get a resolving voiced cutscene (instead he gets one of those side-mission cutscenes that leave us with a "no answer"/"I'll be back!").

There's also a good chance we might see Tealan and Tyrea, probably working for Keves, unless some internal politics makes them switch sides. And speaking of internal politics, what happened with Mor Ardain, Tantal, Uraya, and Gormott after the Titans fused? Won't the Agnus nations mostly be Mor Ardain due to their military might? How did Nia, a Gormotti, become the influential leader? At least Melia is set up to become the High-Entia Empress, but Nia is a Blade-Eater, and last I heard Blade-Eaters were still look down upon in XC2.

Not sure if this would interest anyone but I was comparing official screenshots to the trailer footage. It's interesting because the gameplay screenshots on Nintendo's website are taken right out of the trailer but the cutscene screenshots are from what looks to be a newer, higher quality build of the game. Monolith Soft does not do bullshot screenshots for their games. They do however do wallpaper super-samples of their environments which is different to what they're posting now.

One thing you'll notice is all screenshots, though only 720p, are much sharper than the footage of the same clips. This isn't YouTube compression either, this has to be a new build with higher fidelity/resolution because not only is the image just sharper, but textures and other details are better/different too

Example 1:

Trailer

qs8rezO.jpg

Screenshot

NSwitch_XenobladeChronicles3_12.jpg

Despite the same cloudy daytime environment, it has a different hue shade. The rock structure behind them is entirely different. The IQ is sharper. The character models/clothing is cleaner with higher fidelity texturing especially on Noah's red jacket which is now producing a reflective material. There's also less contrast on the skin, faces, and Mio's hand.

-
Ex 2: Trailer

LcUb9Qc.jpg

Screenshot

NSwitch_XenobladeChronicles3_11.jpg

Sharpness/texture quality is up. Also slight lighting change in the BG on the right side

-
Trailer

qJv9HwP.jpg

Screenshot

screenshot03

Lighting change on the face. Stronger side lighting hitting the face, nose, and left shoulder. Background vegetation has also been altered/thinned.

-
qwCUiut.jpg

screenshot06

Image is much sharper, more detail in everything. Lighting is slightly darker/less bloomy and a shade greener?

-
z4lSkvs.jpg

XenobladeChronicles3_scrn_Taion_00.jpg

Face shade softening has been toned down, more hard lines. Sharpness is up.

-
cqNqrTC.jpg

screenshot01

Huge BG lighting adjustment. Much more contrasted with more shadow detail. Also MUCH sharper. A lot of character clothing detail was added or now visible due to the higher resolution compared to the trailer footage. Again this isn't just from YouTube compression, this drastic adjustment is probably resolution, engine, fidelity polish since recording the trailer footage.

-
WOvlOlG.jpg

screenshot02

Another big BG lighting adjustment. More contrast, better detailed environments, more vegetation in the foreground. Less drastic but still noticeable sharpness boost.

Nice overall improvements imo. The resolution and texture clarity boosts are essential and appreciated after their previous games having trouble in those departments specifically. Thanks for coming to my analysis post. You have yourself a good day

Last edited:
Not sure if this would interest anyone but I was comparing official screenshots to the trailer footage. It's interesting because the gameplay screenshots on Nintendo's website are taken right out of the trailer but the cutscene screenshots are from what looks to be a newer, higher quality build of the game. Monolith Soft does not do bullshot screenshots for their games. They do however do wallpaper super-samples of their environments which is different to what they're posting now.

One thing you'll notice is all screenshots, though only 720p, are much sharper than the footage of the same clips. This isn't YouTube compression either, this has to be a new build with higher fidelity/resolution because not only is the image just sharper, but textures and other details are better/different too

Example 1:

Trailer

qs8rezO.jpg

Screenshot

Despite the same cloudy daytime environment, it has a different hue shade. The rock structure behind them is entirely different. The IQ is sharper. The character models/clothing is cleaner with higher fidelity texturing especially on Noah's red jacket which is now producing a reflective material. There's also less contrast on the skin, faces, and Mio's hand.

-

LcUb9Qc.jpg

Screenshot

Sharpness/texture quality is up. Also slight lighting change in the BG on the right side

-
Trailer

qJv9HwP.jpg

Screenshot

screenshot03

Lighting change on the face. Stronger side lighting hitting the face, nose, and left shoulder. Background vegetation has also been altered/thinned.

-
qwCUiut.jpg

screenshot06

Image is much sharper, more detail in everything. Lighting is slightly darker/less bloomy and a shade greener?

-
z4lSkvs.jpg

-
cqNqrTC.jpg

screenshot01

Huge BG lighting adjustment. Much more contrasted with more shadow detail. Also MUCH sharper. A lot of character clothing detail was added or now visible due to the higher resolution compared to the trailer footage. Again this isn't just from YouTube compression, this drastic adjustment is probably resolution, engine, fidelity polish since recording the trailer footage.

-
WOvlOlG.jpg

screenshot02

Another big BG lighting adjustment. More contrast, better detailed environments, more vegetation in the foreground. Less drastic but still noticeable sharpness boost.

Nice overall improvements imo. The resolution and texture clarity boosts are essential and appreciated after their previous games having trouble in those departments specifically. Thanks for coming to my analysis post. You have yourself a good day
Could Monolithsoft also be employing FSR as well?

Example 1:

Trailer

qs8rezO.jpg

Screenshot

-

LcUb9Qc.jpg

Screenshot

-
Trailer

qJv9HwP.jpg

Screenshot

screenshot03

-
qwCUiut.jpg

screenshot06

-
z4lSkvs.jpg

-
cqNqrTC.jpg

screenshot01

-
WOvlOlG.jpg

screenshot02

Awesome!! Thanks for putting all that together. Reminds me of the comparisons between the early and late XB2 trailers.

I hope so.

The FSR stuff is so interesting, and a good way to futureproof the Switch, especially if a Pro or 2 isn’t coming soon. I wonder if it can be patched into older games.

If Melia is alive, then there's a pretty good chance of seeing him still alive as well (seeing how even non-pureblooded High-Entia can live that long). For all we know he threw himself off the floating island and somehow slipped through into the rift.

His entire setup for Future Connected wouldn't really make sense otherwise, plus the fact that he doesn't even get a resolving voiced cutscene (instead he gets one of those side-mission cutscenes that leave us with a "no answer"/"I'll be back!").
In fairness, Melia didn't throw herself off a sky island so her being alive doesn't mean anything for Gael'gar. It just seems like if he's in 3 then they wouldn't have included that final quest with him at all. I think it was included because they did need to have a resolution to his character.

Future Connected was meant to have more to it, from datamining we know Tyrea was planned to be playable, and Takahashi said they could have made it bigger but it would start eating into Xenoblade 3's resources. There was probably another scene with Gael'gar after Tyrea joins the party but when they realized they needed to cut Future Connected down, they just got the quest writing team to hastily put together an end to the character.

I don't agree with his setup not making sense because I don't see how they were setting up for anything more than the exact purposes he serves to Future Connected's narrative. Like Future Connected was about how after slaying god and making a world without gods, people will inevitably make new gods to fill the void. Gael'gar sees Melia as a messiah and the Fog King as a god who allows him to justify his belief in ethnic cleansing as a divine right. His role, though small, is necessary in making the player associate fog king with divinity for a story that ends with our heroes defeating the threat of a new god by taking on relics of the old god they killed (Shulk needs highly concentrated ether crystals - pure Zanza blood - to power up the Monado REX, and Melia must don a mask of the Bionite order).

End of the day, I don't know what's in Xenoblade 3, maybe he's there but nothing in Future Connected suggests he's being set up for some other use. He seems crafted to help Future Connected say what it needed to and I can't imagine FC working without him. Maybe 3 will continue to play with FC's theme and I could see his legacy living on in the form cults made up of like-minded people. I don't even dislike the character, I sort of wished he joined us when he offered to take as to the teleport and we could've played as a spellsword character for a bit.

EDIT: Want to clarify I'm not trying to be aggressive about it. The way he serves FC's goals would make me surprised if he was actually created for xb3 first. These are just the reasons why I'm personally not feeling it, but if he is in 3 then that's cool.

Last edited:
Gael'gar could be part of the New Testament. Along with Zanza, Dickson, Lorithia, Mumkar, Malos, Amalthus. Akhos/Patroka pair, and Gort. Xenoblade 3 is secretly Xenosaga 3 retold,

Jin and Mik won't be there because we'll see them with Lora, Haze, and Milton in a different part of the game. Obviously.

I thought the whole deal with Gael'gar is that he thinks he's going to be a major player but he's literally a nobody who isn't even really a threat to two people who killed God a few years ago, that's why he dies in a sidequest.

I thought the whole deal with Gael'gar is that he thinks he's going to be a major player but he's literally a nobody who isn't even really a threat to two people who killed God a few years ago, that's why he dies in a sidequest.
The people who killed God also happened to have died save for maybe Melia. Besides he's not after God but pure-blooded High-Entia, and I don't think he took Melia's rejection of his proposal all too well.

He might play as a minor player behind the scenes but not the overarching "big bad".

Example 1:

Trailer

qs8rezO.jpg

Screenshot

-

LcUb9Qc.jpg

Screenshot

-
Trailer

qJv9HwP.jpg

Screenshot

screenshot03

-
qwCUiut.jpg

screenshot06

-
z4lSkvs.jpg

-
cqNqrTC.jpg

screenshot01

-
WOvlOlG.jpg

screenshot02

Nice work 👍

One of the ugliest part of Xenoblade 2 is the structures/objects draw distance(maybe because of some weird graphical effects applied on the assets that makes object like trees look weird with black outline) and I'm glad Xenoblade 3 is using the same graphical technique/method for structures/objects draw distance like Xeno DE and XCX.

X2C2WT0130.jpg

Xenoblade-Chronicles-Definitive-Edition-Screenshots-Comparisons-Siliconera-4.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Xenoblade-Chronicles-Definitive-Edition-Affinity-Guide.jpg

Black outline effects are absent in Xeno 3
FLx865zaAAE_baV

Last edited:
The people who killed God also happened to have died save for maybe Melia. Besides he's not after God but pure-blooded High-Entia, and I don't think he took Melia's rejection of his proposal all too well.

He might play as a minor player behind the scenes but not the overarching "big bad".

Huh, I'm referring to Shulk and Melia.

I'm saying that Gael'gar is not a threat to the heroes at all. He just has a delusion of grandeur and goes out in a pathetic way, matching his character.

I'm saying that Gael'gar is not a threat to the heroes at all. He just has a delusion of grandeur and goes out in a pathetic way, matching his character.
He can become a threat if it turns out he was (part of) pulling the strings between letting Keves and Agnus go to war.

He can become a threat if it turns out he was (part of) pulling the strings between letting Keves and Agnus go to war.

But I don't think that's the point in his character. He was just a distraction from the Fog King.

[*]Klaus and Galea: Klaus has been at the center of this arc so far. After he meets with Rex and company he says to himself something like "maybe I will get to see you again, Galea" so I'm thinking these two will be reincarnated. Wouldn't it be crazy if Noah and Mio were them? Noah would be the Fei to Klaus's Kim. (Klaus and Kim both experimented with nanomachines after all)

I read this part of your post and straight away my brain went to those two Nopon we see in the trailer. Get ready for the blue Nopon to belt out some crazy Adam Howden screams.

I can see Poppi coming back, alongside Pyra/Mythra/Pneuma (I would be absolutely shocked if they weren’t back), to round off the Chapter 8 promise Mythra made to Poppi about not letting her be used to destroy the world. Poppi fulfilled her end of the deal at the end by not letting Rex over so I wouldn’t be surprised if the favour was returned.

I can see Poppi coming back, alongside Pyra/Mythra/Pneuma (I would be absolutely shocked if they weren’t back), to round off the Chapter 8 promise Mythra made to Poppi about not letting her be used to destroy the world. Poppi fulfilled her end of the deal at the end by not letting Rex over so I wouldn’t be surprised if the favour was returned.

Feel like Manana wearing Poppi's outfit just says she's isn't coming back.

And Noah and Mio's flutes being the colours of Pyra and Mythra might point to them not coming back.

As much as I like Pyra and Mythra, I'm not really interested in seeing them return. In fact, I'm not interested in any more characters beyond Melia and Nia returning tbh. I'd rather the new cast take the spotlight.

Last edited:
Feel like Manana wearing Poppi's outfit just says she's isn't coming back.

And Noah and Mio's flutes being the colours of Pyra and Mythra might point to them not coming back.

As much as I like Pyra and Mythra, I'm not really interested in seeing them return. In fact, I'm not interested in any more characters beyond Melia and Nia returning tbh. I'd rather the new cast take the spotlight.

I feel like the main cast will surely carry the weight of the story (as it should be), but I'd be very surprised if the only returning characters (in secondary roles) have already been revealed. That pretty much goes against Takahashi's storytelling.

Of course everyone has their own desires and expectations, but I say let's give MS the chance to surprise us with whatever it is that they have in store.

Said as much at the other place, but if Monolith Soft merge the worlds of XC and XC2 and don’t include Alvis and Pyra/Mythra, it would be an utterly bizarre decision.

Not sure, we'd only know if they told us.

Awesome!! Thanks for putting all that together. Reminds me of the comparisons between the early and late XB2 trailers.
Yeah, it's good. We also have 7 more months of polish which is longer than the gap between XB2's E3 trailer and release which had huge adjustments and improvements. So we could see even more polish. The games supposedly already rated so that means the content is most likely fully complete, they're only just doing polishing, bug fixes, localization, and music/sound.

Nice work 👍

One of the ugliest part of Xenoblade 2 is the structures/objects draw distance(maybe because of some weird graphical effects applied on the assets that makes object like trees look weird with black outline) and I'm glad Xenoblade 3 is using the same graphical technique/method for structures/objects draw distance like Xeno DE and XCX.

X2C2WT0130.jpg

Xenoblade-Chronicles-Definitive-Edition-Screenshots-Comparisons-Siliconera-4.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Xenoblade-Chronicles-Definitive-Edition-Affinity-Guide.jpg

Black outline effects are absent in Xeno 3
FLx865zaAAE_baV
Yeah I'm glad they didn't do that. XB2, especially in gormott was just visually bad with the blurry vistas, very low LOD, short grass distance, framerate issues, etc.

One thing I wish they actually fixed in XBC3 but haven't as of right now is the completely static trees which I don't get. Moving leaves and branches would make the world feel more alive. They also had it working back on the dang Wii so I don't get what the excuse is for the statue stiff trees

Huh, I'm referring to Shulk and Melia.

I don't think he is going to be in xb3, I'm of the same feeling he was a pathetic character who met a pathetic end, as just a side note to future connected.

However, a personality like his would absolutely betray his entire world to clap back at being slighted if the opportunity arose.

Quoted by: SiG
I love how old characters are seemingly make a appearance and they did the xenoblade 1 vs 2 stuff so well lol. Ofcourse that war is gonna be a red herring for the real plot. And i bet theyll team up near the end to fight against whatever the real villain or greater evil is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom